Tearaway Unfolded

Jan 24

The Last of Us

The Last of Us Demo Coming First to God of War: Ascension Owners

Eric Monacelli's Avatar Posted by Eric Monacelli on Jan 24, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

The Last of Us for PS3 (Joel)

In just a few short months, The Last of Us will launch and put the fate of Joel and Ellie into your hands, as they embark on a brutal journey across a post-pandemic United States.

May 7th, 2013 might seem like a long way away, so to help assuage the excruciating wait we’re announcing today that players who pick up God of War: Ascension will be able to get their hands on a demo of The Last of Us when it becomes available at a later date.

The Last of Us for PS3

We teamed up with the development crew at Santa Monica Studio to include access to a chapter of The Last of Us in every copy of God of War: Ascension, so you won’t have to wait too long to get your hands on two of the biggest games of the year. Just load the God of War: Ascension disc into your PS3 and find The Last of Us listing on the main menu. There, you’ll find details on how you can obtain The Last of Us demo for free as soon as it becomes available.

We hope you’re as excited about this news as we are, and we know what’s likely on your mind now — what will you be able to play? We’ll have more news about what’s in store for you after God of War: Ascension launches in March. We hope your wait just got a little easier!

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ USCCM on January 24th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

I for one will not buy this game. Or any other games from this company.

It’s a great game from what I have seen, and I own all Uncharted games.

However, Naughty Dog is a company that I will no longer support.

I bought Uncharted 2: GOTY Edition and was unable to download ANY of the DLC that made it GOTY Edition because the voucher that came with it expired. After a bout of confusing, misleading, and downright insulting e-mails from Sony support staff, I was still unable to redeem what I rightfully paid for.

But the best part? I e-mailed Naughty Dog, TWICE, about this issue and they didn’t even bother enough to reply to my mail. I will not, and suggest that anyone reading this should not either, support a company that sells you half a product and then ignores you completely.

How apt then is the title of this game.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on January 24th, 2013 at 12:29 pm said:

Unfortunately DLC vouchers that come packed with the game are the responsibility of our publisher, and we have no control over the expiry dates that are printed and we don’t have the ability or resources to do customer service – that’s what our publisher does. That being said, sorry that you have had a less than stellar experience with the customer service route.

We’ve been actively looking into possible solutions with the PlayStation teams – however it hasn’t been a quick process. We’ll let you know when we have more info we can share.

+ sagohichi on January 24th, 2013 at 12:12 pm said:

Well, this is the most anticipated game of the year in general. So if Sony bundles the demo to non-AAA game such as Sly4, pretty much everyone would only talk about The Last of Us on the first day of release. That is bad.
The bonus content should stay as a bonus. GOW franchise is heavy enough to treat TLOS demo as just a bonus.
It’s a good decision from my point of view.

+ minimur12 on January 24th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on January 24th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

+ FSBirdman on January 24th, 2013 at 12:16 pm said:

Ahh… I think I may have to forgo a demo completely. I don’t want to spoil myself. This is pretty well starting to look like my dream game – and the fact that it is being made by my favourite developer of this console generation only makes it that much more appealing.

+ tusunami on January 24th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

1 thing people must understand when a demo is included as part of another game that you get for buying a retail game.The demo isn’t part of the game not at all.

+ Fugicara on January 24th, 2013 at 12:42 pm said:

I’ve never liked the God of War series. It just seems like it’s the same game every time. I hope one of my friends gets it and is willing to share their demo with me.

+ ps_n_blog_ac on January 24th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

will you guys offer a multiplayer mode that offers DLC bonuses or EXP that transfers into the retail game? i believe that you guys did the same with U3 Xplayer.

Anyways thank for everything :)

+ darksiperX on January 24th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

Question. Im planing on buying the game from the PS Store. Will the demo still be available to me in digital form?

+ TRIX_BOL on January 24th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

I second that. I have all Uncharted games since their respective release days, so I bought Uncharted 2 GOTY Edition to get the bonuses. Unfortunately code was expired, just like yours.
I had the same run you had, except I did not contact Naughty Dog straight up. I had a feeling they didn’t have anything to do with this. Just like Arne explained in response to your Comment.
So I contacted PS Support, no help soothing. Hopefully this issue gets a solution soon.
But I just wanted to share you are not alone in this, pal.

+ HIhi2442 on January 24th, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

Arne, Just wondering if buying GoW:A will be the only way to get the TLoU Demo. The blog title says “The Last of Us Demo Coming First to God of War: Ascension Owners”. Does that mean they get early access like how you guys did the Uncharted 3 MP demo with inFAMOUS 2? If so, I’m having to decide between getting a TLoU Collectors edition or GoW:A for the demo/beta.

Thanks, – HIhi2442

+ XFRod on January 24th, 2013 at 12:55 pm said:

So many good games coming out, my budget is strained. Already have TLOU pre ordered but, GOW is one of the one’s I’ve had to put off for now.

The demo will be available to everyone, eventually… right?

So, excited for this game but, like I said…. between Ni no Kuni’s Wizard Edition, Aliens: Colonial Marines collector’s edition, and the TLOU’s Post-Pandemic Edition… God of War didn’t make the cut.

+ polo155 on January 24th, 2013 at 12:58 pm said:

@ResistanceGTA yes, i will pass on good games because im to the point that i feel like im being manipulated to buy one game just to get a Demo that i feel paying Sony PlayStation Plus was supposed to have given me to test like advertised.

I dont feel entitled or nothing but im realizing that GoW-Santa Monica and Naughty Dog (both inhouse if im correct)are doing this stuff in the past yr or so and I as a spending consumer, yes i will pass on good game. you know how they say; you dont miss nothing you never had. ;)

Loving my Vita anyways.

Phillip Santana

+ xiTzx_Suicide_x on January 24th, 2013 at 1:01 pm said:

Okay, this may be a stupid question and someone may have asked this already. But is this deal exclusively for the disc or will it be available thru downloading the game off the PS Store?

+ Kchow23 on January 24th, 2013 at 1:01 pm said:

My only concern is that The Last of Us demo will be plastered all over the God of War Ascension box art, please don’t do that it makes it look tacky. Otherwise looking forward to playing the demo! :)

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on January 24th, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

We’ll work with Sony Santa Monica to keep it tasteful.

+ ps_n_blog_ac on January 24th, 2013 at 1:11 pm said:

agree this year might actually be the best year for gamers XD so many great games are appearing…. i’m going to be so poor this year lol

+ blakseed on January 24th, 2013 at 1:14 pm said:

As if I didn’t have enough reason to buy GOW:A. Nice.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on January 24th, 2013 at 1:15 pm said:

@remanutd5 You can’t put an M rated demo on a T rated game. It’s as simple as that.

+ sugarfree9090 on January 24th, 2013 at 1:17 pm said:

now i really want a ps3

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 24th, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

@ polo155 you shouldn’t feel like you’re being manipulated because the TLOU demo shouldn’t be your primary reason for buying GoW Ascension. Get God of War to play…….God of War. The demo should be thought of as a nice bonus -like it is.

+ Cookieter on January 24th, 2013 at 1:51 pm said:

Hey is this Demo for The Last Of Us Included in the Whole World if you Buy God Of War Ascension?
And I Really Hope This Demo Won’t Ruin The Game A Little Bit,.. But I Put my Trust in your hands Naughtydog
You Guys are the best… Wasn’t Really sure if I Should Buy GoW.. But now I am..
Having All these Games In March And then This Amazing Demo Will Make the wait for The Last Of Us easier!
I already Know i’m going to play The Last of us Demo Way too Much!!!

+ GhostMachine1 on January 24th, 2013 at 2:14 pm said:

This is going to definitely going to increase Ascension sales! Anyway, thanks so much for answering questions. You seem cool, even though you’re a Mets fan. :P

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on January 24th, 2013 at 1:56 pm said:

I agree – it IS very strange that such a big title like GoW needs a demo for TLoU, when other smaller games could clearly of benefited.

Unless of course, sony’s projected sales & current preorder numbers for Ascension are looking quite BAD for a GoW game, eh?

Indeed, maybe sony’s worried their sh!!+ty unwanted multiplayer trash isn’t drawing in the Halo & CoD children, and is infact doing the opposite and turning longtime players away?

who knows, eh? who knows…….

+ unbornsoldier on January 24th, 2013 at 2:23 pm said:

God of war and the last of us are already day 1 for me,thanks naughty dog,Sony for this nice unexpected surprise,this makes it not day 1 but day ASAP lol can’t wait to play both,respect!!

+ SpooNManX on January 24th, 2013 at 3:11 pm said:

This is why P L U S members get so angry!!!

Why would you require us to buy something in order to try a demo?
Isn’t the whole point of a playable demo to NOT spend money in order to see weather you want to buy it or not?

This sort of thing really should be made available to Plus as it says in the description “Early access to betas and demos”…

+ SpooNManX on January 24th, 2013 at 3:16 pm said:

“+ Arne Meyer on January 24th, 2013 at 12:22 pm said:

We can’t speak for God of War: Ascension – but we are looking into making TLOU a PSN download. Stay tuned.”

I don’t even want to know how large that game is going to be.. I’m guessing over 20GB.. maybe 40GB.

Now if Sony would start giving us a list of approved 2.5″ hard drives we wouldn’t have to worry about them
A. Not fitting or

B. overheating or

C. Causing slowdown, audio problems, de-synced FMV in games due to the hard drive “not being full compatible with our system” -PlayStation Support

I’ve tried 2 brand new hard drives in my PS3 before giving up and buying a new 320GB system.
I guess this is ultimately what Sony wants though, which is why they aren’t providing a safe list of fully compatible hard drives for upgrading.

+ LABARONX on January 24th, 2013 at 3:45 pm said:

@102 but you all will likely still get 1st access to the eventual multiplatform beta….

everyone else….. why would sony market a new ip on a game thats T- rated and likely only going to sell 1-2 million…. instead of it’s m rated game gow game still guaranteed to do 3-5 million to promote interest????

+ ClearClover on January 24th, 2013 at 4:09 pm said:

This is the perfect combo!

You guys at Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica are probably my two favorite first party developers. I’m very glad you’re working together to bring us deals like this.

I was getting GoW: Ascension anyway like I’ve done with every GoW game before it, but this just sweetens the deal even more, I am also waiting impatiently for TLOU to be released, currently my most anticipated game, it’s been a while since I’ve been this impatient for a game.

Thanks ND, you are sick!

+ angelspawn77 on January 24th, 2013 at 4:17 pm said:

Awesome! Had GOW pre-ordered for a long time now, so this is just the cherry on top. Can’t wait to try it out!

+ destruction1983 on January 24th, 2013 at 5:09 pm said:

i pre order god of war ascension and totally going to buy and thanks for the awesome

+ destruction1983 on January 24th, 2013 at 5:11 pm said:

i pre order god of war ascension and totally going to buy god of war and thanks for the awesome demo u made our day =D

+ drGiggless on January 24th, 2013 at 5:42 pm said:

+ remanutd5 on January 24th, 2013 at 6:05 pm said:

at 95 very good point but my comment stands i dont understand why are they putting this demo in a God of War game when in my opinion God of War is the bigger game here and doesnt need any demo lol, The Last of Us is one of the most anticipated titles this year, God of War too so why not putting the demo on a smaller game, a game that really needs a push, God of War is not that game lol.

+ Kchow23 on January 24th, 2013 at 6:46 pm said:

@Eric One elegant solution that I’ve seen not too often if putting a sticker on the wrapper instead of incorporating it into the box art. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations integrated it into the box art for preorder DLC and now my copy has a lame Best Buy logo on it T_T

+ FirstAngle on January 24th, 2013 at 7:20 pm said:

God of War: Ascension + The Last of US Demo.. what a COMBO!

My PS3 is READY.. (finishing GOW Collection vol. 2 before Ascension arrives)

2013 is starting great!

+ LABARONX on January 24th, 2013 at 8:29 pm said:

110 whose gonna spend 40 dollars on sly 4 just to play a demo…..

the 5-10 minute demo is not to help sell a game but serves as a bonus to the people who were going to buy god of war any way

what person in their right mind is going to spend 40 dollars on a ps3 game they had no intention of buying for a 10 minute demo thats going to be available free on psn a few weeks later

+ xShanghaiGAMERx on January 24th, 2013 at 8:45 pm said:

Will this bonus be for all versions of GOWA (North America, Japanese, Hong Kong) or just the North American version?

+ Mikey1123 on January 24th, 2013 at 8:50 pm said:

Naughty Gods!!!

+ OujaStrike on January 24th, 2013 at 9:46 pm said:

will we have to buy God of War Ascension or will it be on psn a little later?

+ D-Squad3 on January 24th, 2013 at 9:53 pm said:

2 juggernaut titles. Too bad The Last of Us demo isn’t day one. :(

But yeah like someone mentioned, don’t mess up the God of War: Ascension box art.

+ dorkgeniuz21 on January 24th, 2013 at 10:12 pm said:

All I care about is that Sont’s studios support all future and past titles with Ps vita remote-play & cross-controller and I kid you not I will buy every single game that comes out…If game devs dont get that they will get more more this way than so be it but ive given you the secret right here…

+ GHOZTPRIME on January 24th, 2013 at 11:26 pm said:

not buying GoW. I’ll just have to wait patiently for the demo :/

+ kiwidawg on January 24th, 2013 at 11:47 pm said:

I was not planning on buying GOW as it does not look like my type of game. Now i am having second thoughts about Last of Us – is it more like GOW than i previously thought? Perhaps i need to investigate further…

+ Zeniselv on January 25th, 2013 at 12:00 am said:

@110: The issue here is that ascencion sint generating much buzz, so they are trying to give it a push, specially with games like dmc and rising generating more buzz, and talking about buzz, the last of us its has the highest one for upcoming ps3 game in a lot of gaming sites.

+ Elvick_ on January 25th, 2013 at 12:49 am said:

I hope you continue the trend you’ve done with original trophy sets. I love having my Uncharted platinums, despite not being too keen on competitive online.

I don’t mind adding more trophies later for specific online stuff through DLC. I think that works well, and I hope you continue to do things that way.

+ Elvick_ on January 25th, 2013 at 12:50 am said:

@113: I know people that imported Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete to play the Final Fantasy XIII demo early.

So those people do exist.

+ mastorofpuppetz on January 25th, 2013 at 5:31 am said:

People like #10 are pathetic, why are you even a gamer then if gameplay no matter how good is irrelevant to you because of trophies?

+ mastorofpuppetz on January 25th, 2013 at 5:34 am said:

@10 how is a game half finished just because you dont have all the trophies? That’s one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Enjoy games for what they are, if you this anal of trophies quit gaming it’s sad and pathetic. Missing out on a game like LOS because of such illogical and obsessive thinking is moronic.

+ Ryu1311 on January 25th, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

I was hoping you could answer me this and it might have been answered but if it is (and im pretty sure it will be) a day 1 digital and I buy god of war as a day 1 digital would I still be able to get the demo.

+ Soldos-V2 on January 25th, 2013 at 7:24 am said:

I pre-ordered both the Survival and Post-Pandemic Edition (which is already sold-out?!) as I’m a big fan of Naughty Dog and I want to properly celebrate the release of the TLOU. But I’m also looking forward to GOW Ascension. Now getting a demo with that game is awesome. Thanks for your efforts Sony and ND!

PAGE 1 2 3 4