PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

The Last of Us Demo Coming First to God of War: Ascension Owners

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Jan 24, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

The Last of Us for PS3 (Joel)

In just a few short months, The Last of Us will launch and put the fate of Joel and Ellie into your hands, as they embark on a brutal journey across a post-pandemic United States.

May 7th, 2013 might seem like a long way away, so to help assuage the excruciating wait we’re announcing today that players who pick up God of War: Ascension will be able to get their hands on a demo of The Last of Us when it becomes available at a later date.

The Last of Us for PS3

We teamed up with the development crew at Santa Monica Studio to include access to a chapter of The Last of Us in every copy of God of War: Ascension, so you won’t have to wait too long to get your hands on two of the biggest games of the year. Just load the God of War: Ascension disc into your PS3 and find The Last of Us listing on the main menu. There, you’ll find details on how you can obtain The Last of Us demo for free as soon as it becomes available.

We hope you’re as excited about this news as we are, and we know what’s likely on your mind now — what will you be able to play? We’ll have more news about what’s in store for you after God of War: Ascension launches in March. We hope your wait just got a little easier!

+ Pikmologist on January 24th, 2013 at 10:31 am said:

Anyways, I’m happy to hear there will be a demo. I can’t wait to play it! 103 days until the game releases!

+ TomatoDragon on January 24th, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

I mean already have the collectors edition pre-ordered but this just sweetens the deal

+ Zacky-V-A7X on January 24th, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

Awesome bonus can’t wait!!!!

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on January 24th, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

Glad you like the bonus!

+ Welmosca on January 24th, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

OMG are you guy serious?…did I read right?…is too good to be true…I love you Sony….I was buying Ascension day 1 anyway…getting TLoU demo as an extra bonus well couldn’t be better…it will help to satiate this long wait.Thank you very much.Getting TLoU day 1 as well.

@ JimmyHACK – Jeez quit trolling dude.

+ Zeniselv on January 24th, 2013 at 10:44 am said:

i was expecting early access with plus, but well i quess i would have to wait for the public release.

+ JimmyHACK on January 24th, 2013 at 10:49 am said:

@54 Welmosca

I was already getting GOW, but it was just too easy :)

+ mpb93 on January 24th, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Is that pepsi and orange fanta soda machine

+ BrianC6234 on January 24th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

“The Last of Us was one of the games I was looking forward to, until they announced multiplayer, which means annoying multiplayer trophies, which equals a no sale for me.”

Really? You won’t buy it because of that? Not a very good reason.

+ JROD0823 on January 24th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

I’m going to make another attempt to garner a response, since my response in the original blog post was ignored.

It is my belief that the Post-Pandemic Edition is overpriced at $160. $120 is much more representative of the actual value of the items listed to be included.

When compared to the Uncharted 3 Collector’s Edition I purchased in 2011 for $100, there is not enough extra content to warrant a $60 uptick in cost.

Please fix the error in pricing and I’ll consider getting it, otherwise, the Survival Edition is a better value to me.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on January 24th, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

Sorry you feel that way – the contents of the Post-Pandemic edition, along with the quality of work we’re shooting for with the contents – brought the price of this extremely limited edition to where it is now. We simply couldn’t offer this large, detailed, two figure, statue at the $120 price point. Regardless, at the end of the day, you are getting a good deal as all the other contents, if sold separately, would have cost you more.

+ JROD0823 on January 24th, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

I also agree with #50, Sly Cooper seems like the game that should have gotten this bonus incentive. Even though the game looks like it is shaping up to be fantastic, a demo of The Last of Us would definitely sell a few extra copies of Sly.

+ moecage on January 24th, 2013 at 11:05 am said:

will The Last of Us or God of War: Ascension be a first day PSN download ?

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on January 24th, 2013 at 12:22 pm said:

We can’t speak for God of War: Ascension – but we are looking into making TLOU a PSN download. Stay tuned.

+ polo155 on January 24th, 2013 at 11:11 am said:

when you do this i buy none of them becai pay to be a PlayStation Plus Member for this EXSCT thing and its been happening where I was sut out of Closed Betas when this is what Plus supposed to be about.

I will buy non of these games, thank you very much.

+ Beattie_theBeast on January 24th, 2013 at 11:13 am said:

@41

Thats not a good reason either, you can still get 100 percent game complete and not worry about the trophies.
If you look at Red Dead Redemption (which has mp) they have a trophy for getting 100 percent complete in the story mode but you dont get the platinum. You dont need trophies to get your 100 percent complete you do 100 percent complete by doing the stuff in the game not what the trophies tell you to do. Its clearly you do just want to get the trophies from this game if your gonna skip buying because it has mp.

I understand if mp is not your thing but skipping out on a game with a interesting looking story mode because it has the chance of having mp trophies?

+ polo155 on January 24th, 2013 at 11:14 am said:

becai=because*

+ Zarxce on January 24th, 2013 at 11:19 am said:

I’ve been avoiding watching trailers for Last of Us, let alone playing a demo. Definitely not for me, but great news for those of you who absolutely cannot wait.

+ WHITE_PR on January 24th, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

Platinum Trophies = $5.00 on PSN credit? No. So Play the game have fun AND if you want the PLATINUM Trophy you have to earned so if the dev. team said that you have to jump 300 times to get a trophy, the thing is you have to do it if you want so badly this Platinum Trophy.

+ ResistanceGTA on January 24th, 2013 at 11:26 am said:

@polo,

That’s fine, skip on good games. We have plenty of demos and betas. Naughty Dog gives demo/beta access with first party games. Uncharted 2 beta with Infamous, Uncharted 3 with Infamous 2, now this. I like these bonuses. Stop being so selfish.

+ remanutd5 on January 24th, 2013 at 11:26 am said:

at 60 yea i dont understand God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted dont need any incentive to sell copies they sell by themselves so i dont understand this marketing move at all, Sly Cooper is shaping up to be a great game but the franchise doesnt have as much fanbase as God of War (not even close) so i think this little demo could have done a better job on Sly than God of War.

+ LockedUpInside on January 24th, 2013 at 11:32 am said:

I don’t want to see anything from the single player until I get the full game… as much as I want to play that demo asap, on May 7th I’ll be happy that I avoided it and then I’ll have the full experience at once.

+ MushThePainter on January 24th, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

Veddy veddy sneaky..

+ KnightMayrez on January 24th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

CANT WAIT!

+ HotGimmick17 on January 24th, 2013 at 11:40 am said:

WOW! a non-universal demo in game disc demo , facepalm * i don’t even like god of war , why is sony doing this ? did no one learn from the resident evil 6 demo mistake (shrug) i hope this doesn’t become a trend , as this is very stupid for non-GOW fans or people who don’t have enough $ . so yes sony keep failing , while in my meantime iam waiting for
Deadly Premonition

+ Jerieth on January 24th, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

I am so excited about this game! Can’t wait.

I think its good timing since there are a lot of popular survival like shows around. Many of which are my favorites (Walking Dead, Revolution, etc.)
————-
PS3 Gaming!

+ GeoDarky on January 24th, 2013 at 11:44 am said:

These two games are already day 1 purchase for me so i would like to thank Sony’s Studios for making PS3 the best console for exclusives keep it up and we will keep supporting you

+ fsavoie on January 24th, 2013 at 11:47 am said:

Will it support 3D

+ lisatsunami on January 24th, 2013 at 11:50 am said:

I’ve already seen too much of LOU, so no demo for me. I want to be freshly horrified, grossed-out, saddened, sickened & exhilarated when I get my CE on May 7.

But nice promotion. For the haters, of which we have more than our share, chill. Nobody is forcing you to crack your wallet open. Endless options is what makes America great (yes, freedom, too).

+ Welmosca on January 24th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

@ 50 remanutd5 – Very good point…Sony should’ve done this…but I don’t understand whats going on…looks like they’re trying to kill the new Sly game…1st they make the demo exclusive to plus when should be open for all and now this…TLoU demo definitely should’ve been included with Sly 4.

@ 57 mpb93 – Haha LMAO…love these types of random questions.

+ minimur12 on January 24th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

does this mean there WILL or WONT be a demo for the average ps3 user, im saving up for TLOU pound by pound and wont be buying it, sorry santa

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on January 24th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

Right now this is the only option planned to be able to play the TLOU demo.

+ USCCM on January 24th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

I for one will not buy this game. Or any other games from this company.

It’s a great game from what I have seen, and I own all Uncharted games.

However, Naughty Dog is a company that I will no longer support.

I bought Uncharted 2: GOTY Edition and was unable to download ANY of the DLC that made it GOTY Edition because the voucher that came with it expired. After a bout of confusing, misleading, and downright insulting e-mails from Sony support staff, I was still unable to redeem what I rightfully paid for.

But the best part? I e-mailed Naughty Dog, TWICE, about this issue and they didn’t even bother enough to reply to my mail. I will not, and suggest that anyone reading this should not either, support a company that sells you half a product and then ignores you completely.

How apt then is the title of this game.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on January 24th, 2013 at 12:29 pm said:

Unfortunately DLC vouchers that come packed with the game are the responsibility of our publisher, and we have no control over the expiry dates that are printed and we don’t have the ability or resources to do customer service – that’s what our publisher does. That being said, sorry that you have had a less than stellar experience with the customer service route.

We’ve been actively looking into possible solutions with the PlayStation teams – however it hasn’t been a quick process. We’ll let you know when we have more info we can share.

+ sagohichi on January 24th, 2013 at 12:12 pm said:

Well, this is the most anticipated game of the year in general. So if Sony bundles the demo to non-AAA game such as Sly4, pretty much everyone would only talk about The Last of Us on the first day of release. That is bad.
The bonus content should stay as a bonus. GOW franchise is heavy enough to treat TLOS demo as just a bonus.
It’s a good decision from my point of view.

+ minimur12 on January 24th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

marco…..

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on January 24th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

ALL I WANT TO SEE IS THE OFFICIAL STATUE GOD OF WAR COMES WITH..NOT THAT I DONT APPRECIATE THE EXTRA GOODIES..BUT WHEN IT COMES TO SONY COLLECTOR EDITION GAMES..ITS A MUST TO SEE EXACTLY WHAT IM GETTING. PLEASE POST AN OFFICIAL PICTURE ASAP!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK SANTA MONICA!! AND THANK YOU SONY FOR SUPPORTING SUCH AN AMAZING COMPANY!

CANT WAIT FOR MARCH 12!!

+ FSBirdman on January 24th, 2013 at 12:16 pm said:

Ahh… I think I may have to forgo a demo completely. I don’t want to spoil myself. This is pretty well starting to look like my dream game – and the fact that it is being made by my favourite developer of this console generation only makes it that much more appealing.

+ tusunami on January 24th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

1 thing people must understand when a demo is included as part of another game that you get for buying a retail game.The demo isn’t part of the game not at all.

+ Fugicara on January 24th, 2013 at 12:42 pm said:

I’ve never liked the God of War series. It just seems like it’s the same game every time. I hope one of my friends gets it and is willing to share their demo with me.

+ ps_n_blog_ac on January 24th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

will you guys offer a multiplayer mode that offers DLC bonuses or EXP that transfers into the retail game? i believe that you guys did the same with U3 Xplayer.

Anyways thank for everything :)

+ darksiperX on January 24th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

Question. Im planing on buying the game from the PS Store. Will the demo still be available to me in digital form?

+ TRIX_BOL on January 24th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

@78 USCCM

I second that. I have all Uncharted games since their respective release days, so I bought Uncharted 2 GOTY Edition to get the bonuses. Unfortunately code was expired, just like yours.
I had the same run you had, except I did not contact Naughty Dog straight up. I had a feeling they didn’t have anything to do with this. Just like Arne explained in response to your Comment.
So I contacted PS Support, no help soothing. Hopefully this issue gets a solution soon.
But I just wanted to share you are not alone in this, pal.

+ HIhi2442 on January 24th, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

Arne, Just wondering if buying GoW:A will be the only way to get the TLoU Demo. The blog title says “The Last of Us Demo Coming First to God of War: Ascension Owners”. Does that mean they get early access like how you guys did the Uncharted 3 MP demo with inFAMOUS 2? If so, I’m having to decide between getting a TLoU Collectors edition or GoW:A for the demo/beta.

Thanks, – HIhi2442

+ XFRod on January 24th, 2013 at 12:55 pm said:

So many good games coming out, my budget is strained. Already have TLOU pre ordered but, GOW is one of the one’s I’ve had to put off for now.

The demo will be available to everyone, eventually… right?

So, excited for this game but, like I said…. between Ni no Kuni’s Wizard Edition, Aliens: Colonial Marines collector’s edition, and the TLOU’s Post-Pandemic Edition… God of War didn’t make the cut.

+ polo155 on January 24th, 2013 at 12:58 pm said:

@ResistanceGTA yes, i will pass on good games because im to the point that i feel like im being manipulated to buy one game just to get a Demo that i feel paying Sony PlayStation Plus was supposed to have given me to test like advertised.

I dont feel entitled or nothing but im realizing that GoW-Santa Monica and Naughty Dog (both inhouse if im correct)are doing this stuff in the past yr or so and I as a spending consumer, yes i will pass on good game. you know how they say; you dont miss nothing you never had. ;)

Loving my Vita anyways.

Phillip Santana

+ xiTzx_Suicide_x on January 24th, 2013 at 1:01 pm said:

Okay, this may be a stupid question and someone may have asked this already. But is this deal exclusively for the disc or will it be available thru downloading the game off the PS Store?

+ Kchow23 on January 24th, 2013 at 1:01 pm said:

My only concern is that The Last of Us demo will be plastered all over the God of War Ascension box art, please don’t do that it makes it look tacky. Otherwise looking forward to playing the demo! :)

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on January 24th, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

We’ll work with Sony Santa Monica to keep it tasteful.

+ ps_n_blog_ac on January 24th, 2013 at 1:11 pm said:

@89

agree this year might actually be the best year for gamers XD so many great games are appearing…. i’m going to be so poor this year lol

+ blakseed on January 24th, 2013 at 1:14 pm said:

As if I didn’t have enough reason to buy GOW:A. Nice.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on January 24th, 2013 at 1:15 pm said:

@remanutd5 You can’t put an M rated demo on a T rated game. It’s as simple as that.

+ sugarfree9090 on January 24th, 2013 at 1:17 pm said:

now i really want a ps3

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 24th, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

@ polo155 you shouldn’t feel like you’re being manipulated because the TLOU demo shouldn’t be your primary reason for buying GoW Ascension. Get God of War to play…….God of War. The demo should be thought of as a nice bonus -like it is.

+ Cookieter on January 24th, 2013 at 1:51 pm said:

Hey is this Demo for The Last Of Us Included in the Whole World if you Buy God Of War Ascension?
And I Really Hope This Demo Won’t Ruin The Game A Little Bit,.. But I Put my Trust in your hands Naughtydog
You Guys are the best… Wasn’t Really sure if I Should Buy GoW.. But now I am..
Having All these Games In March And then This Amazing Demo Will Make the wait for The Last Of Us easier!
I already Know i’m going to play The Last of us Demo Way too Much!!!

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on January 24th, 2013 at 1:56 pm said:

I agree – it IS very strange that such a big title like GoW needs a demo for TLoU, when other smaller games could clearly of benefited.

Unless of course, sony’s projected sales & current preorder numbers for Ascension are looking quite BAD for a GoW game, eh?

Indeed, maybe sony’s worried their sh!!+ty unwanted multiplayer trash isn’t drawing in the Halo & CoD children, and is infact doing the opposite and turning longtime players away?

who knows, eh? who knows…….