Uncharted 4

Metal Gear Rising Gets Exclusive VR Missions on PS3

Dalton Link's Avatar + Posted by Dalton Link on Feb 04, 2013 // Social Media Manager, Konami

Metal Gear Rising VR Missions

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is, in essence, a best of both worlds. Combining the top-notch action expected from the over-the-top experts at PlatinumGames combined with the deep storytelling and rich narrative of Kojima Productions, it plays to all its strengths. It is a return to form for some, with such classic Metal Gear appearances like Codec calls, Metal Gear Ray, High Frequency Blades and the titular character, Raiden, but infused with new elements like new villains, new allies, and the much-anticipated Blade Mode (try it out now in the demo available on PSN).

But what I’m excited to unveil today should be an old favorite for any Metal Gear fan, PlayStation-exclusive DLC VR Missions! Adding 30 all-new missions to the game, featuring that classic VR/Virtual Reality look inspired by the original Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, the pack is pure, uncut gameplay that pushes Raiden’s Cyborg body to its limits.

Metal Gear Rising VR Missions

Metal Gear Rising VR MissionsMetal Gear Rising VR Missions

Featuring a mix of combat training, tactical maneuvering, stealth-based approaches and more, these missions will both provide practice in which to hone your skills in original stages not seen the in the game’s campaign, and feature an eclectic mix of challenges that any veteran of METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Substance or METAL GEAR SOLID: VR Missions would come to expect. And, in an interesting twist, you’ll be able to take control of the much loved/hated Dwarf Gekko in the VR Missions.

I look forward to seeing your best combos and highest scores on our official MGR Facebook page and Twitter page! And don’t forget to take the blade into your hand and Cut What You Will, starting February 19th!

Pre-order now and receive the exclusive Cyborg Ninja skin!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ cool_trainer on February 4th, 2013 at 11:11 am said:

Awesome, even more reason to pick it up. Can’t wait!

+ humntorch1 on February 4th, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

member when Metal gear rising was an xbox exclusive now ps3 getting exclusive content haha

+ reson8er on February 4th, 2013 at 11:13 am said:

Damn straight.

+ swisstylez on February 4th, 2013 at 11:17 am said:

I can’t wait!!!!

+ KazeEternal on February 4th, 2013 at 11:18 am said:

@humntorch1
MGR was never Xbox Exclusive.

+ humntorch1 on February 4th, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

@ KazeEternal yes it was dont you remember xbox paid Kojima a tone of money to make MGS a exclusive game dont you remember Kojima on the xbox E3 stage i think it was 2007 thats why sony paid loads of money to rockstar for agent

+ Adelflame on February 4th, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

OH YES! Glad i already preordered This game gonna be awesome!

+ Cryo5cythe on February 4th, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

Well…looks like I’m getting it for PS3.

+ killersense on February 4th, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

humntorch he came out and said mgs is coming to xbox 360 not that it is exclusive. just like final fantasy 13. it was never announced as exclusive

+ MushThePainter on February 4th, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

this game should have been PS3 exclusive

+ MGS4_80GB on February 4th, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

@humntorch1:

It was ANNOUNCED at Microsoft’s E3 2010, but it was NOT announced as an exclusive.

+ MGS4_80GB on February 4th, 2013 at 11:26 am said:

@Dalton Link:

Is this exclusive DLC going to be free for PlayStation 3 owners or are we going to have to pay for it?

+ favian on February 4th, 2013 at 11:30 am said:

Will these be free or preorder only? Details please. Looks great :)

+ LaLiLuLeLo on February 4th, 2013 at 11:32 am said:

@Humntorch, It was never Xbox exclusive. MS was just all excited to announce that a Metal Gear game was coming out on Xbox360. But it was never an exclusive. They were just the first to say anything about it. It’s always been cross platform.

+ mcbuttz78 on February 4th, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

lol.. those vr mission games are hard. if you have the 1st one the limted edtion one, it worth like 350$ now.

+ Rawanz on February 4th, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

Is the DLC for all PS3 owners worldwide or just North America? (Facebook made it sound like it was a NA only DLC) Hope its worldwide. Would love to get every little bit of dlc for this! So excited to get my hands on the game! PlatinumGames and Kojima cant possible be a failure!

+ JROD0823 on February 4th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

@Dalton Link,

You guys might want to consider changing the control scheme for this game before it is released.

I played the demo, and whoever decided that the primary attack button (square) should also house the attack parry function should be demoted to the mailroom.

I also didn’t like the lame unblockable attack patterns that the miniboss at the end of the demo was so fond of using.

It kind of defeated the whole purpose of me as playing a nigh invincible badass cyborg ninja.

If the controls weren’t so poorly done, I might have picked this game up day one. Now you guys will be lucky if I get it off the sale rack in a couple years.

+ Deekman on February 4th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

Any chance of seeing MG Portable Ops and Peace Walker playable on Vita. Sony have said that they need support from the game developers and no mention has been made so far of your support ever being given.

I know a lot of us would love to play both games on Vita. Any comment on if you’ve been contacted or have any plans for Vita enabling these games?

+ humntorch1 on February 4th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

well looks like ive been proven wrong ill just read what ive said of the internet and wikipedia but still

+ jrodrigoguerra on February 4th, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

Great! Can’t wait to grab it! But… why I can’t see the pictures in it’s original size?

+ shady965X on February 4th, 2013 at 11:47 am said:

AWWW YEAH !!!

+ vashrahan on February 4th, 2013 at 11:48 am said:

How do you use and equip unique weapons? Do you assign unique weapons to the Wide and Strong attack buttons?

+ Deekman on February 4th, 2013 at 11:50 am said:

@Dalton Link You just got me so excited! Can’t wait!

Now how to get you guys back to making Mystical Ninja games…

+ ShinTetsu on February 4th, 2013 at 11:51 am said:

@ JROD0823

The miniboss doesn’t actually have a single unblockable attack. I think there is not a single attack in the entire demo that you can’t block. You can even still block when he executes his three-hit-combo on you and the first and second hit got you.

+ Kchow23 on February 4th, 2013 at 11:51 am said:

Being able to play Metal Gear Peace Walker with Transfarring and Trophies on the PS Vita would be amazing! Although, I hope that you guys are making a brand new game for the PS Vita.

+ ChaseHammerJ on February 4th, 2013 at 11:52 am said:

Exclusive content still wont help this crappy game. Kojima should have never outsourced this game. It is horrible.

+ trustyourpilot on February 4th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

Will Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance be on the PSN Day 1 in North America and Europe? And will it be retail priced if it is?

+ killersense on February 4th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

“You may see MSF infiltrate the Vita in the near future. Stay tuned!”

wait what is MSF stand for?

+ Deekman on February 4th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

@28 Militaires Sans Frontières

+ boxmyth on February 4th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

The demo really surprised me. I was expecting a fun game, but I wasn’t prepared for how much fun it would be to simply chop a tree into a hundred (or more) pieces. I was laughing like an idiot for quite awhile.
I think the team up of Kojima and Platinum really paid off. Who says Japan’s game development scene is lacking?

+ killersense on February 4th, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

k thanks so peacewalker on vita in other words

+ trustyourpilot on February 4th, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

@28

Militaires Sans Frontieres which means Military without Borders

+ Kchow23 on February 4th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

I find this odd since the PS3 version of Metal Gear Rising is the lead version yet you guys are only showcasing 360 footage and probably going with 360 marketing but now we get the exclusive DLC? Hopefully its free… Any chance that the Cyborg Ninja skin is offered through the PSN Store?

+ zzZeroAgent on February 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm said:

@17 The controls are perfect. It makes complete sense that you block an attack with the attack button. You are not blocking, you are parrying. You attack back to defend yourself. It is the whole concept of swordsmanship.

The parry window is extremely lenient. You have no one to blame but yourself if you don’t get it. The game will also have an easy parry mode for people that need help. They couldn’t have made it simpler without making the parry a block function, which it’s not.

And like said before, you can parry all of the boss’s attacks. Your timing is just off if you’re not doing so.

Thank you for the great news Dalton, the game is looking amazing!

+ SDC3 on February 4th, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

Can you tell us about how to get the Metal Gear Solid 4 costume for Raiden yet?

+ Kchow23 on February 4th, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

Please add Transfarring support with PS Vita… I have my PSP digital copy of Peace Walker but I can’t transfer my save to my PS3 because it doesn’t detect the PS Vita.

+ Kchow23 on February 4th, 2013 at 12:02 pm said:

Metal Gear Rising is a ton of fun, combining Platinum Games and Kojima Productions was a stroke of genius! I hope you guys keep on making more “Rising” games or even perhaps give Gray Fox his own game :)

+ clupula668 on February 4th, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

Absolutely in love with game and I cannot wait for it.

I do have one big Metal Gear related question, though. The only canon game in the series I have never played is Portable Ops, since I don’t play portable systems.

Is there any chance of it getting ported to PS3, like Peace Walker was? I figure if it’s such a big part of the story (I mean how Big Boss met both Roy Campbell and another major character that I don’t want to spoil), that should be available to be played on the same system as all the others, right?

+ vashrahan on February 4th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale gets Raiden MGS2 Raiden Skull Suit which is not even a Metal Gear game.

Can we play Rising with MGS2 Raiden Skull Suit?

+ Ryumoau on February 4th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

i might rent this game. No way am i spending $60, considering how short and repetitive most Platinum games are (Vanquish, Bayonetta). This being Metal Gear is the only thing keeping me interested. I hope Kojima at least oversaw the story in the game, because i don’t want Platinum handling that too.

+ ReizoRyuu on February 4th, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

@JROD0823

Ridiculously awful post, it’s on the same button because that way you can keep attacking and just parry with pushing forward; same way it was done in bayonetta.

Also the boss has -zero- unblockable things, in fact the only unblockable things in the demo are the wire grabs from the Gecko’s, which ofcourse can be easily countered with the onscreen prompts.

Learn the system, because you suck at it doesn’t mean it’s bad.

+ Ace10of27Spades on February 4th, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

I personally wish all Metal Gear fan can have the same thing. Exclusivity is unfair to the fanbase, I think. But I am extra happy for my PS3! I am wondering, will there be unlockables and things from completing VR training and certain VR accomplishments?

+ HyakuShiki08th on February 4th, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

Awesome news!

Just one thing: It will be released as Digital game on PSN?

Can someone please answer me that? I rather buy him on PSN.

Thanks!

+ FearMonkey on February 4th, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

So we have to pay for the privilege of having exclusive DLC? Does not compute.

+ Kchow23 on February 4th, 2013 at 12:10 pm said:

Will there be Metal Gear Rising avatars and dynamic themes?

+ SolduNuts on February 4th, 2013 at 12:10 pm said:

Please, please pass along to whomever is in charge at Konami, I would like all the PSP Metal Gear Solid games put on the PSN Store and made compatible for Vita. This includes the often forgot Metal Gear Acid games. I used to play the first one a crap ton and would like to revisit it at some point but can’t because of the lack of support for digital PSP games. PLEASE BRING METAL GEAR AC!D TO THE VITA. Thanks.

Sold.

+ vashrahan on February 4th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

Can you change secondary unique weapons on the fly?

+ FearMonkey on February 4th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

@47 – I second bringing MG:AC!D to PSVita. I also want a new MG:AC!D game. The first two were so underrated it’s not funny.

Also, message to any publishers listening – some of us do not go to GameStop and will not go to GameStop no matter what exclusive you give them, so stop it, please. thx.

+ vashrahan on February 4th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

What does the Down Direction button do? It’s useless on the Demo.

PAGE 1 2 3