Far Cry 4

Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender Free This Week on PlayStation Mobile

Chris Mahoney's Avatar + Posted by Chris Mahoney on Feb 06, 2013 // Director of Emerging Platforms, SCEA

PS Mobile: Aqua Kitty

Normally, you wouldn’t expect cats, milk, action and water to go together. But in the case of PlayStation Mobile‘s fourth free game give away, it does. Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender is available for free this week. This action-oriented, side-scrolling shooter puts you in charge of a team of cats whose mission is to search the depths of the oceans for massive reserves of tasty milk buried underground. This game is a side-scroller’s dream and reminds gamers of the intense action, cool music, and colorful graphics of the 16-bit gaming era.

The founder of Tikipod, Dugan Jackson, had this to say about what influenced him in designing Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender for PlayStation Mobile.

A lot of games from my younger years certainly have influences on Aqua Kitty. Amiga games like Turrican, Rainbow Islands, New Zealand Story – as well as late ’80s arcade games such as R-Type, Raiden, Mr Heli and In The Hunt – all great examples of fantastic pixel art design which have fed back into my own art style over the years.

In terms of gameplay, we have a few nods to old classics – like the depth based weapon system was an idea that stemmed from Rainbow Islands’ gem creation mechanic. You also may have spotted similarities in the smart bomb weapon to the yellow bomb type in Raiden.

PS Mobile: Aqua Kitty

Find out for yourself starting today – at no cost! PS Vita owners will be able to download Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender for free on the PS Mobile section of PlayStation Store. Owners of PlayStation-certified devices can obtain it through PlayStation Mobile Store – click here for full instructions. Check back next Wednesday to see what new free game you’ll get to download next!

18 Comments   1 Reply

+ BlueRobotX on February 6th, 2013 at 6:29 am said:

Cool thanks I just downloaded this game last night thought it wouldn’t be free till today. I was just hoping Aqua Kitty would be one of the six free PS Mobile games.

+ Nazotchi on February 6th, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

I love this! Definitely my favorite of the free games so far.
I hope Haunt the House is one of the future titles.

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on February 6th, 2013 at 8:41 am said:

Hey Nazotchi,

Here with Chris and we were just talking about how fun this game is. As you mention, there’s more to come. We’re confident that people will enjoy the final games in this six week event!

Thanks for checking this one out, see you next week!

+ mockduck on February 6th, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

I love these free PS Mobile games! After getting a Vita over the holidays, this is a great weekly treat. Plus, it’s got me looking at the PS Mobile store for the first time, which I imagine may be part of the reason for this promotion. :) Looks like a fun game, will definitely check it out!

+ SolduNuts on February 6th, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

When PS Mobile first launched I was really eyeing this game, but now that it is free there is no hesitation to get this on my Vita. Thank you for the free PS Mobile games. I hope the last couple of ones are as good as this game is.

Aqua Kitty Milk Mine Defender… When the world is low on milk… You can call on Aqua Kitty to come help defend your milk mines…

Sold.

+ SephTiger on February 6th, 2013 at 10:05 am said:

I tried to download this from my Vita, but kept getting error NP-8106-5…

+ Kchow23 on February 6th, 2013 at 10:32 am said:

The game looks really good, but the controls aren’t great… any chance that PS Mobile games will have their own live area backgrounds instead of having the blue generic one?

+ Elvick_ on February 6th, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

This is easily one of the best games on PS Mobile. Was worth buying and I’m glad more people will get a chance to give it a try.

@6: Nothing is wrong with the controls for me, on Vita at least.

+ Gorvi on February 6th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

I think this is the best freebie yet, man that was fun. I love the graphics and while the cat thing is a little….. odd, the game plays great.

+ Squiggle55 on February 6th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

this is awesome. Thanks again for this promotion. Really cool.

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 6th, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

I’m allergic to milk so I’m a little hesitant to try this lol. But what the heck it’s free, I’ll give it a go :) Thanks again!

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on February 6th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

I’ll get my post right this time.

SADLY, we only have Two to go T^T lol. Thanks for the freebie once again.

Anything about PsMobiles getting trophy features?

+ Scaramanga1983 on February 6th, 2013 at 2:05 pm said:

Finally one that seems worth it.

+ Alkaiser27 on February 6th, 2013 at 3:21 pm said:

This looks fantastic. I really hope we get hungry giraffe. Hungry Giraffe. I like how hungry he gets. Probably the most competitive game between my friends and i other than coconut dodge.

+ therine07 on February 6th, 2013 at 3:25 pm said:

Love the fact that Playstation Mobile works great on my HTC One X+ Plus. Kudos to PlayStation for this. Keep up the great work.

+ Cat_McGowan on February 6th, 2013 at 4:18 pm said:

Aqua Kitty fails to complete downloading to my Sony Tablet S. It stalls after the download progress bar is filled. Deleted and restarted download several times, but each time, the download stalls and never completes. Is there a solution to this problem?

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on February 7th, 2013 at 1:17 pm said:

with the recent release of Blackberry’s Z10 in Canada and the upcoming release to America, now would be a great time to port it over t that platform. Think about the extra people that would get the app. I know I would and I know that thousands more would as well. Think about it Sony, you want to make more money and the only way to do that is to reach out to more devices.

+ Garigandeljey on February 9th, 2013 at 7:32 am said:

Thank you thank you! I really like the PlayStation Mobile idea. I really want it to gain momentum, and seeing that future Mobile titles may have Trophies is amazing in itself.

+ tikipod on February 14th, 2013 at 2:48 pm said:

I hope you all have fun with the game! We made a small video of the cats to accompany the release of the soundtrack – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGWmZYzrE4w