PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

January 2013 PSN Top Sellers: The Unfinished Swan Finishes First

Cade Peterson's Avatar + Posted by Cade Peterson on Feb 06, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

2013 is already onto a great start. Exploring the unknown and painting the world with depth via black paint, The Unfinished Swan takes the lead for the top PS3 & PSN sellers for January. This highly unusual and unforgettable game is both absorbing, and gorgeous in its subtlety.

Other titles of note include Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Far Cry 3, TOKYO JUNGLE — all spectacular examples of their individual genres. Zooming into hearts and top 10 in a couple of the lists is LittleBigPlanet Karting — a whimsical take on the standard kart game, completely full of fun that only Sackboy and friends can provide.

Among the Add-ons and DLC, there’s no surprise that Call of Duty: Black Ops II’s Season Pass blasts all the way to #1, with Sir Hammerlock’s Big Game Hunt from Borderlands 2 coming in a near 2nd place.

Curious to see which games European players are picking up? Head over to the EU PS.Blog to see their top sellers.

PSN Top Sellers

Top 5 PS minis

1. The Impossible Game
  2. Monopoly
  3. N.O.V.A.
  4. Jetpack Joyride + 150K Coins
  5. Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter

If you’re not on your PS3, don’t forget to check out these games and more via the new web portal to the PlayStation Store — purchase, watch videos and learn more, from the convenience of your favorite web browser.

What will next month bring? I’ll see you then with all the details.

PAGE 1 2

+ johnnyp70 on February 6th, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

Looks like the 13 for 13 sale was a success!

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

I most definitely agree!

+ four24twenty on February 6th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

Came for The Unfinished Swan, most surprised by Machinarium!

That game was delightful.

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

Amanita Design (makers of Machinarium) really make excellent games. I’ve been a fan of theirs for years.

+ ramoisdead on February 6th, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

Nice to see that if 13 for ’13 sale and the Gameloft $0.99 sales never took place, Ni no Kuni would be right at the top of the charts.

Kind of surprised that EDF 2017 is the #1 Vita title but I see it as good news since many people had complaints about the price yet it managed to grab the top spot.

Also glad to see Corpse Party: Book of Shadows at #2 for PSP.

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

Sales and promotions always have an impact on boosting total units sold, but obviously really solid newer games stake their claim on the lists regardless of the competition.

+ MakoSOLIDER on February 6th, 2013 at 10:20 am said:

Unfinished Swan on top? SUCCESS! WELL DONE SONY!

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 11:25 am said:

More like, “Well done, Giant Sparrow!”

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on February 6th, 2013 at 10:22 am said:

Im happy for the success in January..but VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THE LACK OF SUPPORT AND BUSINESS YOU GUYS HAVE DONE WITH SUPERBOT – WHOM BTW HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB AT CREATING A PLAYSTATION FIGHTING GAME THAT CAN ACTUALLY COMPETE WITH SMSB. ALL YOU GUYS NEEDED WAS CRASH AND SPYRO AND A FEW OTHER TRUE ALLSTARS THAT SHOULDVE BEEN ON THE COVER OF THE GAME..LOL.SONY ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS LISTEN TO THE FANS AND THE MONEY WILL OVER FLOW YOU POCKETS !!! SMH..I WANT TO THANK SUPERBOT FOR ALL THEIR HARD WORK AND WISH GOOD LUCK WITH WHATEVER THEY DECIDE TO DO.

+ FriedConsole on February 6th, 2013 at 10:24 am said:

I was going to say people like cheap games but then the fact that EDF at $40 is #1 for Vita destroys that theory.

I am embarrassed to say I had a lot of fun for 0.99 with Modern Combat: Domination.

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

Why be embarrassed about it?

+ boboMELOSHE on February 6th, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

Glad to see PSASBR still selling on PSN :) VERY happy that Unfinished Swan and Journey are wrecking shop haha.

+ Xcaligamer1 on February 6th, 2013 at 10:29 am said:

good to see ps all stars on the list. still sucks about superbot. hopefully dlc keeps rolling out still keeping fingers crossed for tai fu

+ x-Kicks-x on February 6th, 2013 at 10:29 am said:

@3 Corpse Party would have been #1 for PSP had it not been for the Vita exploit that used UNO.
@5 Spryo and Crash were not Sony’s fault
@6 EDF is a fun game with hours and hours of content. I don’t regret spending the $40 on it

+ Hatberserker on February 6th, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

I don’t suppose we could get any raw numbers could we? Or vita games put on the top twenty overall list?

+ Kchow23 on February 6th, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

Great to see Unfinished Swan and LBP Karting do well, makes me wonder if there’s that many people with PS Plus even though it hasn’t been advertised at all.

+ FearMonkey on February 6th, 2013 at 10:45 am said:

Cade, you mention DmC in your post, but I don’t see it listed in the Top 20?

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

Nice catch! And that points out my mistake. The text above will be updated to mention Tokyo Jungle, another personal favorite of mine that I find very addictive. I do love me some DmC though—gorgeous game—I obviously recommend it.

+ Nevi901 on February 6th, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

Crash Bandicoot… THAT should tell you something huh, Sony?!

+ MatheusRuggeri on February 6th, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

The Unfinished Swan and LittleBigPlanet Karting, two games with 75% off for the Plus.
I want more good games with discounts like this :D

+ JDSSLP on February 6th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

I really like the way the lists are broken out this month!

+ Justin Massongill on February 6th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

Thanks. :)

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

Doesn’t Justin do quite a great job? Everyone, give him a little bit of thanks.

+ Elvick_ on February 6th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Shame that EDF is up there when they’re charging full retail on a digital only localization. I’m sure it’s fun, but that practice is as anti-consumer as you can get. It’s a shame people rewarded them for it.

Oh well. Glad Ni no Kuni is up there. Stinks that LBP Karting is only up there because of the massive discount, deserves to sell better at a decent price than basically handing it out for free. But, Sony’s marketing ever an issue. So what can ya do?

+ lisatsunami on February 6th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

See, we’re not all just obsessed with pew pew shooters.

+ ChaseHammerJ on February 6th, 2013 at 11:00 am said:

I bought Unfinished Swan a week ago on sale, boy am I glad I got it on sale because I would be so upset if I paid full price for that. I beat the game in less than 2 hours and most of that time was endlessly trying to find where to go or do because it has no direction majority of the time. I wasnt impressed, good concept and I liked the beginning but then it lost its luster quickly.

+ Satnamji on February 6th, 2013 at 11:05 am said:

Nice to see Mass Effect hanging in there. If not for the big sales, it would have been 3rd or 4th.

+ magicx11 on February 6th, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

The Unfinished Swan was great, I hope we see more games from Giant Sparrow.

+ Ryumoau on February 6th, 2013 at 11:26 am said:

Unfinished Swan is top? really? Would rather see Ni No Kuni closer to the top, but glad its doing well.

Anyway, its a shame EDF beat is top of Vita chart considering how overpriced it is.

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

I have a very strong feeling that Ni No Kuni will make the top lists for February and maybe longer.

+ JROD0823 on February 6th, 2013 at 11:33 am said:

I don’t know what you guys did on your end up at the PlayStation headquarters, but thank you for eliminating all of the unneccessary steps of adding to cart, and clicking through 15 additional confirmation screens before allowing me to download PS+ content, which is a problem that has plagued the store since the overhaul.

I went to download GoME just a few minutes ago, and all I had to do was click on the 1 confirmation screen for Plus content, and the download process immediately began.

Again, thanks for helping to make the life of a person who not only works full-time but also attends college full-time that much more convenient. Every liitle bit helps!

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 11:49 am said:

Reducing “time-to-fun” is always smart. I’m glad you noticed this subtle little change and appreciate it. We’re always working on ways to improve things for everyone.

+ boomstickbhg on February 6th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

Interesting list, nice to see Ni No Kuni at the top of the non discounted games.

Have you given any thought to doing a list like this for Retail only? I would very much like to see what the top selling PS3 and Vita (maybe even PSP) games for the month are in Disc form, especially since the PSN doesn’t even get a lot of games.

Plus Retail games are usually cheaper than PSN games so it would be an interesting list to see, especially if some of the more expensive games that don’t sell on PSN are selling a lot of disc copies. (high sales help convince me to buy games)

Also any way we can have a ‘best selling add-on’ section that doesn’t include sports (and other games) nickel and dime DLC? I have bought VC in NBA and HUT packs in NHL, but I don’t see why they should be on the add-on list, they’re not much of an add-on, comparatively.

Would be nice to see the top proper add-on sales (costumes, levels, characters, etc…)

Regardless of if you give a hoot about my thoughts, I enjoy seeing the monthly best selling lists.

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 1:18 pm said:

I don’t think we’ll be able to pull retail numbers as nimbly as we can PlayStation Store downloads, but we’re glad to keep bringing you this list every month.

+ USRevenge2 on February 6th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

so this is just downloads right? I didn’t contribute to it but I got little big planet karting for $20 at best buy retail. for $20 or even the $10 PSN+ sale you can’t pass that up for a retail game.

Request 1: give us sales numbers?

Request 2: give tales of graces f for free to psn+ members, get some people hooked on JRPGs and they might try out ni no kuni or the new tales game, graces f is still the absurd price of $40 in the US. game is almost a year old already.

+ boomstickbhg on February 6th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

hmm..

Your article says BO2 Season pass is #1 and Hammerlock is #2 for DLC sales.

But your list shows BO2 SP at #2 and the rest is NBA/NHL stuff…

Which is the error?

+ Cade Peterson on February 6th, 2013 at 1:39 pm said:

Good catch also. I was looking at the wrong chart—PS3 Add-ons that excludes in-game purchases. After chatting about it, we decided for next month to add another list to the monthly Top Sellers, breaking out the DLC versus the in-game add-ons.

In case you’re curious, here’s the PS3 Add-Ons (excluding in-game content add-ons):

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II – Season Pass
    2. Borderlands 2 Sir Hammerlock’s Big Game Hunt
    3. NBA 2K13: ALL STAR GAME
    4. Need for Speed Most Wanted Ultimate Speed Pack
    5. Borderlands 2 – Mechromancer Pack
    6. Assassin’s Creed III The Hidden Secrets Pack
    7. Far Cry 3 Deluxe Bundle
    8. Battlefield 3 Online Pass
    9. Borderlands 2 Collector’s Edition Pack
    10. Borderlands 2 Creature Slaughter Dome

Big props to Borderlands 2 getting several on the list!

+ punkmusic2009 on February 6th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

dose anyone know if the full ps home will be on ps vita

+ ctorretta on February 6th, 2013 at 12:37 pm said:

Why isn’t Uno PSP pulled from the store yet? The custom code exploit is a huge danger to the Vita…

+ Elvick_ on February 6th, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

@18: I was 100% happy with the game when I bought it day 1 of release.

+ TerraAshura on February 6th, 2013 at 12:51 pm said:

13 for 13 was such an awesome bunch of sales. I get plenty of steep discounts with PSN+ as is but that just took the cake. Here’s hoping for more like that in the near future!

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 6th, 2013 at 1:18 pm said:

Nice to see a lot of the 13 for ’13 games on the list. I picked up Unfinished Swan but haven’t played it yet due to my ever-growing backlog. With all of these sales currently going on (Final Fantasy, namco bandai, Skyrim DLC next week) who knows what’ll make the top February list. And hopefully Playstation decides to do a sale on vita games with its 1 year anniversary coming in two weeks :)

+ PainOfSarrow on February 6th, 2013 at 1:18 pm said:

FriedConsole ‘ why be embarrased ? some of those cheap PSN Games are some of the BESTTT games. i play Fat Princess in my Hood and all my Homies Enjoy it. dont feel ashamed that there not AAA Retail Games.

+ PainOfSarrow on February 6th, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

JROD0823 well said, i noticed that aswell. much better and faster and less hasstle to buy content now.

+ TomatoDragon on February 6th, 2013 at 1:31 pm said:

I’m really glad to see Unfinished Swan getting some love. Great game. Got every trophy. But man, that one where you could only throw 3 paint balls….guh!!

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on February 6th, 2013 at 1:57 pm said:

Playstation All-Stars seems to be doing well still. Was fun to see dedicated players at the SCR tourney, it might have a shot at EvO 2013.

As for The Unfinished Swan & Machinarium? Glad they did excellent as well, since those were the two exclusives i picked up during 13 for 13 sale.

+ CaptainJames99 on February 6th, 2013 at 2:32 pm said:

@hatberserker: We’ll never see sales figures though we should in reality. The reason being is quite a bit of what’s on these “top sellers” lists is pure fantasy and sales figures whould expose that fact.

+ boomstickbhg on February 6th, 2013 at 2:54 pm said:

Cool, thanks for the extra list of out-of-game top Add-ons :)

+ purse317 on February 6th, 2013 at 3:18 pm said:

I really hope you guys share these figures with publisher so they will know good games sell especially when discounted notice the crap games that have been in the weekly deals section for weeks on end usually don’t make the list, and we plus members love a good sale. Heck I brought 7 games on the 13/13 list and haven’t played one of em yet just scoped em up because they were on sale.

How bout a black history month sale with games with African American heroes or villains or storng characters get a discount

+ Kikowz on February 6th, 2013 at 3:25 pm said:

cool, now give us sleeping dogs

+ Wozman23 on February 6th, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

@2, Check out Amanita’s newest game Botanicula on PC. It’s really good too, and absolutely gorgeous.

+ Wozman23 on February 6th, 2013 at 3:51 pm said:

Glad to see The Unfinished Swan doing well. Loved it when it released, and had fun watching a friend play through it last weekend. I can’t wait to see what Giant Sparrow does for their next two games.

+ Tridrakious on February 6th, 2013 at 4:00 pm said:

Still no actual numbers. The Unfinished Swan could have sold 15 units. If you want to show how “strong PlayStation Network has become”, show real numbers.

+ Heatseeker125 on February 6th, 2013 at 5:17 pm said:

Vita 1 year anniversary game sale, please. I know you said you have things planned this month, but it’s so vague that it could mean anything.

+ CaptainJames99 on February 6th, 2013 at 5:27 pm said:

Tridakious your still not the only one saying it. Proof is everything. I could say I wrote a best selling game but if theres no proof then its Bollocks. Same with this company. It’s past time to put up or shutup. No more excuses. Personally I don’t mind advertising which is just what this is. But when its a lie then it’s a problem.

+ SergeChecko on February 6th, 2013 at 6:03 pm said:

Any discount for GTA San andreas for PS+ members?????

+ TwinDad on February 6th, 2013 at 7:06 pm said:

@CaptainJames99

Just how is this a lie? If Unfinished Swan sold 100 copies, but still sold more copies of the #2 game, how does knowing this number make it a lie?

If your best selling game only sold 5000 copies in January, but was #1, does that not mean you didn’t make the top selling game on PSN?

Or are you trying to say that because Madden 13 only sold 10000 copies in January on PSN where it might have sold 100000 copies on another platform that makes the “top selling” a lie?

+ sagohichi on February 6th, 2013 at 7:09 pm said:

Yey! EDF!

You know, Vita is very good device to play re-released PS2 classic titles. I had huge fun with P4G last year, and am having endless fun with EDF right now. I thought I was typical console gamer….

+ Bigsilvs on February 6th, 2013 at 7:15 pm said:

Bought Unfinished Swan, Jet Set Radio, Nights, and Machinarium. Sweet sale! PSONE Classics and PS2 Essentials would double or triple in sales if they had Trophies…hint hint

+ CaptainJames99 on February 6th, 2013 at 7:33 pm said:

Twindad, you base your fallacious argument on what exactly? you are indeed the one making arguments based on NOTHING. Indeed that itself raises 2 possibilities, the first being the unlikely possibility that your a company man trolling and you’ve seen the sales figures, but won’t back up your arguments or your simply trolling passing off your own ignorance as fact. In either way your lying to everyone here. So let me reiterate, either back up your claims with FACT or shutup. Whats clear is you’ve never held a position of responsibility of any kind nor attended post secondary education. In either instance claims made require evidence otherwise it never happened. What you’re doing isn’t proof, its at best a 2nd rate shell game.

+ D_R_O_Z on February 6th, 2013 at 8:42 pm said:

Captain is obviously the type of person that does not believe in God, and thinks everybody is an idiot for believing….. And let me guess, there was more than 1 person that shot Kennedy and Neil Armstrong never walked on the moon. sounds like someone has trust issues, your significant other(s) must get sick of dealing with that.

+ TerraAshura on February 6th, 2013 at 8:51 pm said:

In all complete honesty though…who seriously cares if they release the actual hard numbers or not? I know I sure don’t.

PAGE 1 2