Driveclub

Ratchet & Clank Update: Full Frontal Assault and Deadlocked

Greg Phillips's Avatar + Posted by Greg Phillips on Feb 07, 2013 // Producer, SCEA

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS3

As many of you know, when Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault launched for the PS3 system this past November, we announced that the PS Vita version would be coming out later in January 2013 to ensure the best portable Ratchet & Clank experience possible.

Our friends at Tin Giant have been working night and day to bring Insomniac’s PS3 game to the PS Vita system and to provide our fans with a great game. While the original delay has helped us make the game better, we still need more time to bring the game up to the standards expected by our fans.

In order to do this, the launch date for Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS Vita has moved to Spring 2013. We realize that this delay may be disappointing for our fans, but please know that we are doing our best to get the game into your hands as soon as possible.

For those of you who have purchased the PS3 version of the game and are waiting for your PS Vita entitlement, we want to make it up to you as best we can. On the release date for Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS Vita, we will be offering Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked for the PS3 system as a free download to all of our fans who purchased Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for the PS3 system (digitally or on disc). The giveaway will become available when Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault for PS Vita releases.

We greatly appreciate your patience as we work to bring you the best Ratchet & Clank experience possible for the PS Vita system. We will update you with a specific release date as soon as it is available.

Thanks again!

+ snakeeyes211 on February 7th, 2013 at 12:33 pm said:

This makes me sad and happy At The same time sad about the delay happy about the freebie will deadlock have trophies?

Greg Phillips's Avatar

+ Greg Phillips on February 7th, 2013 at 7:05 pm said:

Yup, Deadlocked will indeed have trophies :)

+ TwinDad on February 7th, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

@ryman222 & spudsudz,

It is ambiguous, but they do so because it gives them a window to release. AS we can See January 29th, didn’t work for them, I think they chose a window so if they needed it could side a bit. I’m sure when the product is done, the closer we get they will release a specific date.

Also spuds & ryman, it is more like the next 4+ months, as Spring exists from March 20-June 21st.

+ Motherboop on February 7th, 2013 at 1:14 pm said:

Greg, will Deadlocked have a platinum trophy?

Greg Phillips's Avatar

+ Greg Phillips on February 7th, 2013 at 7:44 pm said:

Yup… its name is Hero of the Shadow Sector.

+ megacarlos on February 7th, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

Deadlocked my favorite r&c game you are forgiven now make deadlocked for vita too.

+ Axecution on February 7th, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

Free Deadlocked!?

SWEEEEEEEEEET

+ freshprincepbg on February 7th, 2013 at 2:06 pm said:

What if I buy Full Frontal Assault now or later? Will I qualify for Deadlocked?

Greg Phillips's Avatar

+ Greg Phillips on February 7th, 2013 at 7:09 pm said:

Doesn’t matter when you bought it…. if you buy FFA for the PS3, you are entitled to a copy of Deadlocked as well as FFA for the Vita.

+ Wine_Oh on February 7th, 2013 at 2:10 pm said:

Greg, please respond to the many folks like myself who have not yet purchased Full Frontal Assault, and are wondering if we buy this now, will we still get free cross buy and free Deadlocked for the Vita?

If so, what is the deadline to purchase FF Assault for the PS3?

+ Genexi2 on February 7th, 2013 at 2:13 pm said:

Been holding off on a purchase since I’ve been awaiting the Vita release, at least there’s a ballpark release date for it.

On the R&C front, who do I have to bug for Sony to get the PSP Ratchet & Clanks up on the digital storefront to purchase and play on the Vita?

+ Heatseeker125 on February 7th, 2013 at 2:27 pm said:

You guys should have said this in the beginning. People are far more forgiving when you admit things sooner than later. I guess it’s pointless since you’re giving Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked away for free and that will shut people up. But in the future, just admit it right away when you need more time to work on something. Don’t give people the runaround by saying you have no idea why something is delayed and that people should go bug the publisher (Sony) when you’re the one (Tin Giant) that really needs the time to polish the game.

+ mahunaboii on February 7th, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

Does this mean if I buy FFA anytime before the Vita version is released, I’ll get Deadlocked HD for free?

+ mjc0961 on February 7th, 2013 at 3:10 pm said:

So basically what this boils down to is that we’re NOT getting Deadlocked for free, because free Deadlocked only gets handed out when Full Frontal Assault finally releases for Vita, and Full Frontal Assault coming out on Vita is quite clearly never going to happen at this point.

Boo! Boo, I say! If you really want to apologize with some free Deadlocked, give us free Deadlocked now, or at least whenever the game is ready to be downloaded. Don’t tie it’s release to the release of a game that more than likely is never going to come out no matter how hard you claim the developer is working on it.

+ mjc0961 on February 7th, 2013 at 3:12 pm said:

@58: Wish I knew, because I really want to bug them into giving us Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops already as well.

Really, Vita’s BC is a complete failure on Sony’s part. Every PSP game on the Playstation Store should have been playable on Vita at launch. Here we are almost on the Vita’s 1 year anniversary and there are still games missing with absolutely no reason given as to why by Sony.

+ ChrisMichaels04 on February 7th, 2013 at 3:30 pm said:

SONY……you guys are killing the Vita with these 3rd rate bush league developers like Nihilistic and Tin Giant. This is already the 3rd major franchise ruined on the Vita (Resistance, Call of Duty, Ratchet & Clank) because the developer couldnt handle the responsability. You guys need to allocate more resources to studios like BEND (Uncharted, Resistance) and Sanzaru (Sly Cooper 4……give them Ratchet & Clank) which have proven they can handle bringing big franchises to the Vita. The Vita deserves better.

I wont blame SONY for Call of Duty Declassified…..we all know Activision is too busy playing favortism to the xbox community to be bothered about giving us a quality Call of Duty game. I blame the Playstation community for still supporting the COD franchise. At least SONY tried to give us a COD Vita game in the first place.

+ jlslippers on February 7th, 2013 at 3:32 pm said:

I hope you all realize that only those who bought the PS3 version of the game will get Deadlocked for free. If you read the statement carefully there is no free game for those that buy the vita only version.

+ NeoRaidenX on February 7th, 2013 at 3:33 pm said:

Highly unnecessary. I’m just glad that you’re not releasing a broken product early. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate the nice gesture of a free game. Thank you.

+ NeoRaidenX on February 7th, 2013 at 3:36 pm said:

@64 jlslippers, that’s because the people who bought the vita version we’re never promised anything that they didn’t recieve. They knew exactly what they were getting. The free game is offered as an apology for the delay for a perk that we were entitled to.

+ TriangleOffense on February 7th, 2013 at 3:37 pm said:

Well since I no longer own a vita I really appreciate the other game for free

+ vesra on February 7th, 2013 at 3:50 pm said:

How about, for a change, a genuine apology. You goofed up, tin giant didn’t deliver, people got very angry, insomniac got caught in the cross fire. Apologize, we deserve it from you. It feels better to be told sorry instead of just being bought off. Not all of us are so greed stricken and easily swayed by meaningless swag. Go back and view exactly how many people were angered by the missed release date. Then look at the plain greed shown by people that don’t even own the game yet, or even wanted it but do now, IF THEY CAN GET THE FREE GAME. Be the stand up company in this industry. Respect your loyalists, apologize.

+ Alnuk1 on February 7th, 2013 at 4:37 pm said:

Spring release for a game that was ready, just polishing up ? sony you are so full of s…t. Im selling my psvita in ebay btw 32 gb memory card and travel case.

Tired of Sony constant crap week after week…

+ komentra on February 7th, 2013 at 4:42 pm said:

Need to be careful when you promise dates if you can’t deliver. Pretty disappointed but at least you guys are going the extra mile to make up for it with a free game which is much appreciated.

+ spudsudz on February 7th, 2013 at 4:54 pm said:

@ + TwinDad,

I understand why the ambiguous Spring 2013 communication however it comes AFTER missing an extended 2 month communicated drop date… You see I cannot go back to my local game store and request a refund so basically I made a purchase, an actual outlay of cash, for the game…

Bottom line, you can interpret this new timeline commitment as we don’t know when the game will be ready so let’s say Spring 2013 to cover our tails…

In the real world missed deadlines come with real cost implications… And if you miss a deadline, the deliverable better reach a high mark… In this situation a communicated deadline was missed and what do we receive, an announced 2nd extended window of time that is TWICE the time of the previous communicated extended drop date…

I fully understand the rationale of the bogus Spring 2013 timeline…

In the meantime I already have already played Deadlocked… Cross Buy is dead to me going forward…

The bottom line, Sony excuses aside, they missed their first communicated deadline, so they put out the Spring 2013 to ensure they don’t miss another one… I wished I could use Sony’s tactics in my world but my world isn’t so forgiving…

+ Dyoxen on February 7th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

I gotta say i’ve been pretty ticked off with all this waiting to get my Vita version of the game as promised and being left in the dark by Sony as to what was going on. I felty like it was going to be cancelled and Sony was hopng we’d eventually give up on and forget all about this game. Nice to see it’s still coming and getting Deadlocked as an apology for all this. Good move.
Sony you need to improve your communication with your customers. It sucks that alot of us felt like we were gonna be gyped here and even though you didn’t make this game you should be concerned that a 3rd party developer is making your customers feel this way and damaging your reputation and brand.This is why you should’ve stepped in and found out what was happening and informed us all so your customers didn’t have to be made to feel like they were getting screwed.
It’d be nice if you could start this improved customer relation with telling me why Music Unlimited’s mobile app is completely broken ever since your update. Alot of people are frustrated with it. You have our money and we have no service! Thanks.

+ Heavenly_king on February 7th, 2013 at 5:04 pm said:

better late and great than early and crappy. Thx for the free game :D

+ jlslippers on February 7th, 2013 at 5:08 pm said:

@66NeoRaidenX that is a good point. I didn’t think of it that way.

+ Boricuastorm on February 7th, 2013 at 5:22 pm said:

I always prefer a game that’s complete than not. Good job men and women.

+ remanutd5 on February 7th, 2013 at 5:34 pm said:

I think you guys did this on purpose because we have nothing to look forward between Soul Sacrifice april release date and Killzone mercenary september release date, well played sony, well played lol, i hope you guys include the psvita in your “see the future” event on feb20th, im getting tired of how you are mistreating the vita. How about bringing Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time to the vita? now that would be awesome.

+ TehCro on February 7th, 2013 at 5:34 pm said:

Sweet. I initially put off buying it because I was more interested in playing it on the go, but now this just gave me full incentive to buy it regardless. It’s a shame you can’t please everyone on the internet, but thanks before being awesome.

+ Codebytes on February 7th, 2013 at 5:48 pm said:

It would be even better in deadlocked worked on the vita..
Either way, I appreciate the gesture.

+ jackwesten on February 7th, 2013 at 5:54 pm said:

I’m okay with the delay. I expect good things from Sony and from the makers of Ratchet and Clank. They always do their best to deliver a quality product. Thanks for Deadlocked and keep up the good work!

+ eternalunderdog on February 7th, 2013 at 6:03 pm said:

How will you know when I bought the disc version of the game or will it be sort of a link thing that if you activate your disk privileges between “x” date and “x” date you will automatically get credited the free game at the check out?

Greg Phillips's Avatar

+ Greg Phillips on February 7th, 2013 at 7:13 pm said:

Nope, if you activate the disc benefits once both titles are available, you will receive both.

+ kevinbarron on February 7th, 2013 at 6:16 pm said:

Thank you! It sucks that i have to wait to play it on my vita again…..

+ dorkgeniuz21 on February 7th, 2013 at 7:27 pm said:

Can you guys please add remote-play & or cross-controller to Ratchet & Clank collections in the meantime?I havent been able to finish any of the games because everyone has been hogging all the tvs in my house so I have mostly been playing ps vita games and was lucky enough to get God of war collection,Tokyo jungle & Shadow of the colossus/ico collection which was patched for remote-play and works wonders..You can also charge 1.99 or so to enable it and id buy it..

+ AZV_4th on February 7th, 2013 at 7:45 pm said:

Perfect! I’ve been waiting for Deadlocked, and I’ve thought about getting FFA. Well I better find 20$ fast, and head to gamestop.

Thanks for the update Greg!

+ qbt5ar on February 7th, 2013 at 8:02 pm said:

lool. Same as what happened to GTA 5. It was said that it would release in December Christmas and was delayed to spring 2013,and now again delayed to September 17.For,release date was on November 30,delayed to end of January and again delayed to spring 2013. loool

+ solo013 on February 7th, 2013 at 8:10 pm said:

Day one I bought the PS3 version just so I could get the Vita version too when it released a month later. I’ve actually only played one stage of the game, but I think I’ll be finishing it up on my PS3, and not even worrying about the Vita version now. I am quite disappointed though. I hope that Deadlocked is the PS3 version of the game.

+ ElPresidentEvil on February 7th, 2013 at 8:14 pm said:

Ok, so if I only own a Vita I get screwed while PS3 owners reap all the benefits?

+ Kiwidust on February 7th, 2013 at 8:19 pm said:

I’m not sure if it’s a result of the PSN outage, an unrelated policy or just a happy accident but Sony’s shown a certain… humility that’s been really refreshing.

During the PS1 era Sony was hungry and cocky (and I loved it). That evolved to a (somewhat deserved) confident arrogance during the PS2 era. That carried through to the PS3 era and it was… odd. It’s that you didn’t deserve it but it also wasn’exactly like you deserved it either.

For maybe the past year or so I feel that has changed completely. You’re not only listening to your customers you’re predicting their needs and (at the risk of butchering the golden goose) gloriously overcompensating for them. The PS1 era Sony might have offered up a free avatar or theme. The PS2 and former PS3 era Sony might have offered nothing (because a delay is just a delay). This Sony is both apologizing and giving away not only a great game, but a wholly appropriate brand new game (no hedging the bet by “giving away” something everybody’s already bought).

So, to sum up: Thanks, and keep it up!

+ HanGlacy on February 7th, 2013 at 8:44 pm said:

wtf!!! too many promises.. how about the ps vita R&C ffA???? its feb now.. you guys said to be released last jan. but no updates????????????????????

+ Elvick_ on February 7th, 2013 at 9:03 pm said:

@63: Premature. Never mind that, arguably, many feel R&C was ruined by Insomniac doing this style of game in the first place. The port isn’t out, how can you say it’s bad? They don’t want it to be bad, thus are making sure they get it right. What’s wrong with that?

@64: Why would you?

People who have bought the game already are the only ones affected, and we can only buy it on PS3… therefore.

+ Elvick_ on February 7th, 2013 at 9:03 pm said:

@88: Wut… this is an update. smh…

+ BANDICOOTKING on February 7th, 2013 at 9:04 pm said:

This may be the best news the ps3 has had in a year.

+ HanGlacy on February 7th, 2013 at 9:08 pm said:

@90 update for what?? they announce before for r&c will be release this last jan. 28 for ps vita!!!!!?? but no update in psn store???

+ icurafuse on February 7th, 2013 at 9:12 pm said:

On the upside, if you take your time and do a real fancy-pants port of the Insomniac Engine v.4.0, you will reap the benefits with any other Insomniac Engine game you want to port in the future.

I don’t think there is a single Insomniac Engine game I wouldn’t blindly pay for on the Vita.

Anyway, I’m so thrilled that the Vita is being supported by these PS3 games that I would gladly wait.

+ Bagel_Bear on February 7th, 2013 at 9:24 pm said:

How do you know if someone bought the game on disc? If it is in your trophy list or something before the Vita version is released?

+ jj_jj9 on February 7th, 2013 at 9:31 pm said:

can we still get ratchet and clank deadlocked if we plan on getting the ps vita version of FFA through cross buy?

+ guitarded77 on February 7th, 2013 at 9:46 pm said:

Why not give us Deadlock now, so we can go ahead and play it while we wait?

+ ChrisMichaels04 on February 8th, 2013 at 12:51 am said:

@89 – Elvick…..the issue isnt about it being a bad port or not….the issue is that this is already the 3rd major franchise to be surrounded by a negative dark cloud on the Vita because of the inexperience of unknown 3rd rate developers like Nihilistic and Tin Giant. R&C FFA Vita should have been ready for launch last November alongside the PS3 version. The fact that Tin Giant needs an extra 6 months is ridiculous. Games like PS All Stars and Sly Cooper already proved that when in the hands of respectable developers….any game can be successfully made on the Vita along with the PS3 version. The developers behind PS All Stars and Sly Cooper didnt need an extra 6 months…..so why does Tin Giant? SONY needs to stop farming out vita games to the lowest bidder. The low sales reflect this problem. SONY needs to hire AAA studios to work on these games. The vita deserves better.

+ passivefamiliar on February 8th, 2013 at 4:42 am said:

As always, the few minor issues i have with sony are always well overshadwoed by the customer service. I may have to buy FFA now. Glad there is no grandfathering system in place. Offering this deal to anyone who buys it before FFA comes out is great. Will be sure to boost sales.

I’d still like a search function for my download history though. Or a filter would be nice. And a more set time for tuesday updates. Some days i can’t get anything till the next day because the update is so late.

But otherwise. I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t have a ps3.

+ Metalsonic_69 on February 8th, 2013 at 7:09 am said:

Insomniac, I want you to know I was very impressed with the PSP versions of Ratchet and Resistance. Unfortunately the Vita Resistance was quite disappointing, and this delay doesn’t give me hope for the talent of this team.

I hope they use this extra time to improve the game as much as possible. But next time, it would be nice if you would inform the community of a delay BEFORE the “release date” goes barreling by like an oncoming train.

Not trying to be negative, I have played every Insomniac game except FFA and that PS1 shooter. And I’m grateful for Deadlocked HD in return. Just please do what you can so that these franchises that YOU created don’t start leaving bad taste in people’s mouths.

+ detictiveconan on February 8th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

I was waiting to get FFA discounted somewhere (because I’m cheap,not because I don’t think it’s worth $20 on it’s own) but this is enough to convince me to buy it at full price. Even though it was different(like FFA) I did like Deadlocked when I played it the first time and I’m looking forward to getting to play it online this time.