PS4 - Destiny

Inside Skywalker Sound: Soul Sacrifice’s Battle Theme

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar + Posted by Kumi Yuasa on Feb 08, 2013 // Producer, SCEA

Soul Sacrifice on PS Vita

Back in December, we released a sneak-peek of the Skywalker Sound soundtrack recording video for Soul Sacrifice. As mentioned, the game’s soundtrack is composed by Yasunori Mitsuda and Wataru Hokoyama, two of the most recognized composers in the industry. Today. I’m excited to share a video introducing one of the scores Mitsuda-san composed:

Mitsuda-san was kind enough to provide us the following accompanying message:

“This was the very first battle music I composed, and I focused on making sure it fit the fighting theme of Soul Sacrifice. The battle style in this game is different from traditional RPGs and action games where the battles are not instantaneous, but rather extensive and you fight for a longer period of time. Within those battles, you will face all sorts of situations where you can have the upper hand, or be at a disadvantage. So, in order to match these dramatic sequences, I concentrated on adding many different elements to each piece in order to create an exciting musical composition. Soul Sacrifice is the type of game that will challenge you in all aspects. With that in mind, I challenged myself during the composition of the musical scores as well. I believe this game is something that people overseas, not only in Japan, will also enjoy. I hope everybody around the world will enjoy playing this game.”

+ Gadirok on February 8th, 2013 at 6:09 am said:

That was amazing!

+ Frejim on February 8th, 2013 at 6:21 am said:

EPIC!!!!!

+ iriihutoR84 on February 8th, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

Been a fan of him ever since Chrono Trigger so the announcements of the composers made me even more hyped about the game. Less than two months away!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on February 8th, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

Hi there! Thanks for your kind words. I’ll relay your comment to Mitsuda-san.
    The game will be released on 4/30. Thanks for your patience!

+ Conaaando on February 8th, 2013 at 6:23 am said:

This looks really epic!

+ remanutd5 on February 8th, 2013 at 6:24 am said:

This game looks too satanic to me so no im not getting it.

+ YungShep on February 8th, 2013 at 6:28 am said:

2nd time Soul Sacrifice is talked about on the blog…and its relating to music….what about gameplay..

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on February 8th, 2013 at 11:30 am said:

We’ll be coming back with more info about gameplay shortly. But we also wanted to share the spectacular music of the game. I’m sure it will make the Soul Sacrifice gaming experience so rich!

+ su43berkut17 on February 8th, 2013 at 6:30 am said:

The wait is killing me, the soundtrack will be great as soon as I heard Yasunori Mitsuda as for the gameplay #6 you can play the japanese demo.

+ Gadirok on February 8th, 2013 at 6:32 am said:

@YungShep
Try searching around the blog because they posted up a few videos earlier in the fall.

+ spoonTRex on February 8th, 2013 at 6:50 am said:

That was awesome. :)

+ BlahBohogun on February 8th, 2013 at 6:58 am said:

Too bad we can never throw our money at that Soul Sacrifice Limited Edition Vita.

+ From_Concentrate on February 8th, 2013 at 7:02 am said:

April 30th can’t get here fast enough. Simply amazing.

+ jimmyfoxhound on February 8th, 2013 at 7:10 am said:

Hi Kumi!! Def going to pick this game up, looks very good & I love the music I’m hearing here!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on February 8th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

Thank you so much for your kind comment! Music is a great part of Soul Sacrifice. The team has put a lot of passions into this masterpiece and they’re working hard to deliver the game for us. Please check back as we’ll be releasing more info about the game!

+ IzoGray on February 8th, 2013 at 7:16 am said:

I never watch stuff like this but I’m addicted to everything Soul Sacrifice. I already have my pre order paid off.

Please give us more multiplayer info and how long it takes to playthrough the game.

It’s WiFi Multiplayer right? Also, please give us a localized demo. The game is out in two months. I can’t wait.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on February 8th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

Hi there! Thank you for pre ordering the game! We’ll come back with more info about the game, so please stay tuned.

+ TomatoDragon on February 8th, 2013 at 7:45 am said:

Mast excellent. Really looking forward to this game.

+ Butters360 on February 8th, 2013 at 7:51 am said:

So epic. Reminds me of his Xenogears track “Awakening ~ Deus.” That’s just ONE of his pieces that make him so remarkable.

+ Christian399 on February 8th, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

Have we sorted out the whole digital preorder business yet? Last I recall all those bonuses were only offered with a physical copy (including dual audio), which makes no sense.

+ TheExiled12894 on February 8th, 2013 at 8:21 am said:

sounds really epic. can’t wait for this game

+ Elvick_ on February 8th, 2013 at 8:47 am said:

@13: Yes it’s online…

@6: We’ve seen plenty, and there’s footage of people playing the Japanese demo on YouTube. If you cared enough, you’d look it up instead of derp around here waiting for something they’ve shown bits of already and that others have already taken the liberty of showing a lot of.

+ imaginw123 on February 8th, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

Very Cool!

+ Cloud_X1 on February 8th, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

@5 too “satanic” seriously?! You’re an idiot.

+ GhostMachine1 on February 8th, 2013 at 9:57 am said:

I’m normally not really into RPG’s but I’ll get this game if there’s a demo and I like it. Ni No Kuni worked that way for me.

+ lisatsunami on February 8th, 2013 at 10:22 am said:

Every time I see Skywalker Sound I say “yow”. Amazing video & that theme was fantastic, as great as any big budget movie. Thanks.

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on February 8th, 2013 at 12:32 pm said:

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, the soundtrack of Soul Sacrifice has the feel of a traditional epic movie. I’m sure you will enjoy playing Soul Sacrifice with the magnificent music!

+ oZc-Gauss on February 8th, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

@5

TODD FLANDERS DETECTED!

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 8th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

I’m was trying to expose myself to as little as possible about this game, but something made me want to check this video out. Glad I did, that was amazing! It reminded me of the first time I saw a video of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite in action. Good times :)

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 8th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

@Gadirok Wow I just realized your avatar is a tree. This whole time I thought it was some kind of nuclear bomb mushroom cloud thing lol

+ diablo103 on February 8th, 2013 at 11:19 am said:

that was EPIC. Looking forward to this one. Sony please 1) make cheaper Vita memory cards & 2) make them with a greater amount of storage. Whoever at Sony thought 4gb of storage was enough should be fired. Hopefully that person/persons are not aiding in the development of PS4.

+ o3to16 on February 8th, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

when will the U.S see a demo of it please

+ boboMELOSHE on February 8th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

Really looking forward to this, all ive been playing on the Vita is Disgaea and Allstars. I need something new haha.

+ Rukia on February 8th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

Oh my! I’m still listening to the video and am very impressed at the high quality of sound. Music is one thing I really enjoy in games, i always buy anime and game soundtracks.

The music tells me this is going to be an amazing game, I think it’s time for me to pre-order!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on February 8th, 2013 at 5:55 pm said:

Thank you for your support. Glad you like this piece of music. Music definitely plays an integral part in video games. Just like some of the best movies, your experience relies on how well the visuals and music blend together. I’m sure you will enjoy Soul Sacrifice!

+ PrinceofXIII on February 8th, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

amazing stuff :D

it seems Mitsuda-san hasn’t changed one bit :P

thank you for the video, i await this release ^^

+ sdmf4ever on February 8th, 2013 at 3:00 pm said:

MAGNIFICENT…AS ALWAYS!!! very reminiscent of Xenogears & Chrono Trigger! this game may actually cause me to purchase a Vita finally!! Let’s hope the gameplay is really up to par with the visuals & soundtrack!! crossing those fingers!!!

+ JeffsonP_US on February 8th, 2013 at 4:05 pm said:

It is AMAZING! Can’t wait to get the game. Please give us demo soon, and a PS Store pre-order also!
Thanks for this game!

+ GMFCO311 on February 8th, 2013 at 4:06 pm said:

WOW! Just amazing. I wish I was even just a lil bit as talented as anyone in that room! :)

+ Edzo04ps on February 8th, 2013 at 4:23 pm said:

i sincerely hope this game will live up to the hype. sony seems to be pushing this game pretty hard in japan and over here

+ EggySong85 on February 8th, 2013 at 5:14 pm said:

I live in Japan, but my Japanese is weak. Will the Japanese version of the game have English support? And what’s the best way to get Japanese DLC on an American account, or will the American DLC run on a Japanese card?

+ lisatsunami on February 8th, 2013 at 5:23 pm said:

Hey, EggySong, the Vita, like the PSP, is locked to a single account. So you can’t mix content, at least not digital content. I think if you had a retail copy of the game, you could switch accts to get DLC, but you would also have to switch memory cards since those are what lock the content. There are many people here on the blog who switch between accts so hopefully someone who has experience will jump in.

+ enano_javi on February 8th, 2013 at 8:46 pm said:

Wow!!! Im simply speechless… For me, music in a game is very very important. It has to go with the gameplay to make an awesome experience! I played the demo and I was soo addicted to it!! Even though it was short, I kept playing it over and over again! I love what this game is becoming, and it will obviously be a first in line buy for me! Finally the Vita will have a game true to its fans!!!

+ LeFabuleuxDeux on February 9th, 2013 at 1:01 am said:

I suppose no news yet on the Soul Sacrifice pre order bonuses being possible on PSN? Either way, great theme. I’ve loved Mitsuda-san’s work in all his games, even if I didn’t like the games.

+ Garigandeljey on February 9th, 2013 at 7:21 am said:

I’ve been really excited for this game since it was first teased in Japan. I cannot wait! Great music here. I’m also really glad that Keiji Inafune and team are showing the Vita the love and support it needs.

@ 23: LOL

+ vza004 on February 9th, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

That was so epic!!!! Is there gonna be a limited edition to this?

+ KniightDRONE on February 9th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

Im getting a vita for this game!

+ Blackstar131 on February 9th, 2013 at 5:04 pm said:

any news on hantasy star online 2

+ Blackstar131 on February 9th, 2013 at 5:05 pm said:

phantasy

+ EZaxess on February 9th, 2013 at 7:59 pm said:

Love the music, very inspiring. I hope this game is getting as much care and love with the story as it’s doing the graphics and music.

January: Ni No Kuni
February: Fire Emblem Awakening
March: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Tomb Raider, God of War Ascension, BioShock Infinite
April: Soul Sacrifice
May: The Last of Us
June: Remember Me

Dragon Age III, Sacred 3, Phantasy Star Online 2, and much more… 2013′s looking good if you ask me and march will burn a hole in my pocket.

+ UltWarrior1 on February 10th, 2013 at 5:55 am said: