Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Feb 12

Feb 12

Chimpact Swings to PlayStation Mobile Tomorrow

Chris Mahoney's Avatar Posted by Director of Emerging Platforms, SCEA

PS Mobile: Chimpact

Monkeys are fun. They jump around, swing on vines, love high places, and occasionally fling poo at people that they don’t like. Today we are pleased to announced that you can have just as much fun as monkeys do (minus the poo) with the release of Yippie! Entertainment’s Chimpact on PlayStation Mobile.

In Chimpact, you play as a little monkey who has to bounce around and collect items through a variety of levels to make it home safely. The game is absolutely gorgeous and the gameplay is simple, yet challenging. Chimpact is a new age platformer that has gameplay reminiscent of similar games from the 16-bit era.

The game features:

• Simple, one-touch gameplay
  • Amazing visuals and character design
  • 48 fun-filled levels to complete
  • Invigorating jungle-themed background music
  • Gem Quest and Totem Trial game modes
  • Hidden items and achievements to unlock

PS Mobile: ChimpactPS Mobile: Chimpact

Kevin Green, the Lead Artist for Chimpact, had this to say about the game in an interview with Pocket Gamer:

We were looking at a few things with Chimpact. We were looking at something more family friendly – ‘traditional’ games, let’s say.

We’d been doing a lot of very grim stuff in the past at other companies. ‘Gangster games’ and World War III… they were all fun to work on, but we were looking to do something that wasn’t all about slaughtering everybody for once. We wanted to do something cheerful.

It’s very much a kind of ‘back to the old school’ feel. The new platform and business model gives us the opportunity to get back to the kind of thing we did years ago, but in a modern way.

PS Vita owners will be able to download Chimpact from the PS Mobile section of PlayStation Store; owners of PlayStation-certified devices (see full list here) can obtain it through the PlayStation Mobile Store – click here for full instructions.

Add Your Own

Stargazr64 said:

February 12th, 5:12 am

Looks pretty cool. Price?

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

Paul Sullivan said:

February 12th, 10:24 am

Hey guys, sorry about the delay in jumping in here for replies. I wanted to confirm the price of this title before I did so.

I’ve been informed that this game will be listed at $3.99. Quite the steal for such a fun and visually stimulating game.

ProfessorGerbik said:

February 12th, 5:16 am

@1, Stargazr64 – It will be free later today.

Neat this looks like fun. Aqua Kitty was pretty cool.

ProfessorGerbik said:

February 12th, 5:19 am

Oh actually never mind I thought this was apart of the PS Mobile free games giveaway. It is not free I don’t think.

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

Paul Sullivan said:

February 12th, 10:25 am

Correct! We’ll be back tomorrow to reveal this week’s free Wednesday PlayStation Mobile game. Stay tuned!

Major_Hoare said:

February 12th, 5:27 am

You had me until you said that we can’t fling poo.

ZaGe-zAiKaNo said:

February 12th, 5:38 am

@ProfessorGerbik I thought it was too! Once i saw the post, but upon reading it doesn’t look like this will be our next freebie.

ZaGe-zAiKaNo said:

February 12th, 5:41 am

Nonetheless, does Chimpact support Online?

Carl-G said:

February 12th, 6:18 am

Sounds fun + lovely Graphics :P

togue said:

February 12th, 6:26 am

looks cool, I’ll give it a shot!

togue said:

February 12th, 6:49 am

also…where is the Xperia Z in North America???

joaryche said:

February 12th, 6:52 am

i want an xperia z too…

joaryche said:

February 12th, 6:53 am

looks like a DK country game….looks fun

MakoSOLIDER said:

February 12th, 7:58 am

@10 I want a Xperia Z also! Its Xperia Z btw not Xperia Z Ion lol

gamer1rst said:

February 12th, 8:20 am

I don’t know if it’s because I’m getting older or what, but these jump-in quick and play for 15 minutes here and there games, are appealing to me way more than they used to.

Don’t get me wrong, I still like deeper games that go on for hours/days, but they are sharing a bigger chunk of my game time than they used to with smaller fare like this.

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

Paul Sullivan said:

February 12th, 10:27 am

gamer1rst,

I can relate. As I’ve gotten older my free time is a bit more difficult to manage. So bite-sized games like these are really handy when I want a quick burst of gaming goodness, but don’t have the time to settle in for a long session. Sometimes, though, I just need to bite off a big chunk of cutting edge gaming. That’s something I love about the PlayStation world, you can get the best of both worlds.

GhostMachine1 said:

February 12th, 8:56 am

Those graphics look awesome for a mobile game.

vanwinkle said:

February 12th, 9:10 am

Man, I was INCREDIBLY excited when I saw this, until I read “One touch gameplay”. Why do they have to dumb it down? If I’m playing on Vita, I want to have proper platforming controls.

Ugh, it looks so good too. :-(

saskamazon said:

February 12th, 9:27 am

the screen shots look gorgeous …. I’m interested – would be great to have a price listed with the info … :-) I’m quite enjoying the PSM offerings … they are great little pick up & play titles.

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

Paul Sullivan said:

February 12th, 10:28 am

saskamazon,

I added a price in a reply near the top just now. I’m told it’s going to be listed at $3.99

Pabloo1010 said:

February 12th, 9:36 am

You all should check the gameplay clips on Youtube, game looks amazingly pretty.

cat9966 said:

February 12th, 10:36 am

To vanwinkle – It’s one touch because its a port from the iPad/iPhone and I bet it will be more expensive then the 99 cents it costs on that system. I agree that the Vita is better served by games that can only played on it. I bought a Vita because I was tired of the touch only controls on my iOS devices.

remanutd5 said:

February 12th, 10:57 am

Please dont get me wrong but until you guys add trophies to psmobile games you will get my support, its just that i want a full playstation experience when i play games on my vita.

Kchow23 said:

February 12th, 1:10 pm

Could PS Mobile games get their own Live area background instead of having a generic blue one? Also it doesn’t appear by name in Near… hopefully PS Mobile will get some love soon.

Kchow23 said:

February 12th, 1:12 pm

I have downloaded all of the free games each weeks and its really a mixed bag, some really fun ones and some ok titles.. demos of these titles would be great to have. I tried a fan made Surge game on LBP Vita and loved it, but I wouldn’t have known otherwise as well as how segregated PS Mobile is from t he PS Store.

Elvick_ said:

February 12th, 3:04 pm

Ever since this was uploaded on the EU PS Vita youtube channel I have been waiting for thisto come here. Just a shame people on there trashed it due to their ignorance.

saskamazon said:

February 12th, 4:13 pm

we’ll get this game it looks good. thanks for the price.

whatisdelicious said:

February 27th, 9:52 am

After buying this, I gotta say, I’m pretty disappointed. I was hoping the “simple, one-touch gameplay” was like “tap where you want him to go, maybe timing or rhythm-based” instead of “Angry Birds.” I just don’t like the catapult-style of controls. Never have, probably never will. But that wasn’t clear from this post. It just wasn’t.

As well, on Vita, I have to hold the system on its side like a phone because it’s so vertical with no easy “Vita mode” setting to reorient it like every other widescreen Vita game. I’ll check again for that setting, but unless I’m missing that setting completely, but still, those screenshots are pretty misleading. It’s just kind of annoying.

Basically, I was expecting Donkey Kong but got Angry Birds instead. It’s a gorgeous game for sure, but it’s not what I wanted or expected.

stackrabbit said:

March 1st, 11:33 am

Help! How do you get the first gem in 1-8?????