GTAV PS4

Star Wars Pinball: A Closer Look at the Empire Strikes Back Table

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar + Posted by Bobby Loertscher on Feb 13, 2013 // Community Manager, Zen Studios

If you missed the Star Wars Pinball announcement from last week, you can read all about the game in the announcement blog post. Today we’re taking a detailed look at the Star Wars Episode V :The Empire Strikes Back table.

The Star Wars Episode V :The Empire Strikes Back pinball table is inspired by the events of the beloved film. The exciting action takes center stage on the main deck of the Executors Star Destroyer, and features iconic scenes that play in the dot matrix display when missions are activated during gameplay.

Zen Pinball 2: Star Wars Pinball

Join Luke Skywalker as he embraces the power of the Force and leads the charge to repel the advances of Darth Vader and the Galactic Empire. The experience would not be complete without a host of fully functional 3D objects including an AT-AT walker (with circling Snow Speeder!), a Tie Fighter, Ion Cannon and, of course, the emblematic lightsabers of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

Activating missions on the Star Wars Episode V :The Empire Strikes Back table can be done by hitting the center bank and collecting the letters to spell out STAR WARS. You can then choose which scene to start, causing the Executor to jump to hyperspace and fly to the affected planet of the chosen scene. There are five missions to complete before activating Wizard mode, which drops you in the middle of an epic battle between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader!

Zen Pinball 2: Star Wars Pinball

One new feature in this table: checkpoints for the table missions! This will really benefit your game if you happen to run out of time or encounter a ball drain in the middle of a mission. The next time you start the mission, you will start at the last checkpoint.

Star Wars Pinball will be available as DLC for Zen Pinball 2 on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita later this month, as Cross-Buy entitled content. Look forward to a detailed look at the Boba Fett table next week — until then, may the Force be with you!

+ RadioPS_LIVE on February 13th, 2013 at 9:18 am said:

Such awesomeness! These Star Wars tables are going to be the bee’s knees! Looking forward to playing them.

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar

+ Bobby Loertscher on February 13th, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

Thanks! I can’t wait for everyone to check them out. Our team has really outdone themselves on this set!

+ Thwip on February 13th, 2013 at 9:18 am said:

I’m not a Star Wars nut like many (not that there’s anything wrong with that), but I’m still really looking forward to these tables, thanx for sharing.

+ saab01 on February 13th, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

Cant wait for this to come out I love all the tables from Zen they make the best tables. Do we have a release date yet for the Star Wars Table?

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar

+ Bobby Loertscher on February 13th, 2013 at 9:47 am said:

No release date yet, but we’ll announce it once we confirm it.

+ Squiggle55 on February 13th, 2013 at 9:31 am said:

Thanks, Bobby. The checkpoints for missions was a good idea. Looking forward to it.

Kind of wish I could just buy this table by itself — Honestly I’ve traditionally shied away from the 3 or 4 packs, but I love picking up a specific new table for 3 bucks. But I guess that’s just for someone to decide what will lead to more income.

+ shadow71 on February 13th, 2013 at 9:33 am said:

*drool* just when you thought the zen guys couldn’t top themselves.

+ snakeeyes211 on February 13th, 2013 at 9:34 am said:

The force is strong with this one oh yes it is ;-)

+ johnnyp70 on February 13th, 2013 at 10:52 am said:

Words escape me. I cannot wait to play the Star Wars tables, but especially thins one! Thank you Zen and Disney.

+ XFRod on February 13th, 2013 at 11:04 am said:

If Jar-Jar Binks gets a table before Howard the Duck, we riot.

’nuff said.

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar

+ Bobby Loertscher on February 13th, 2013 at 11:13 am said:

Hahaha! How could we do that to Howard? :)

+ AnoyoIkari on February 13th, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

Looking forward to a reason to play Zen pinball again. I’d be forever grateful if they made a Marvel Deadpool table. That would be one table I’d push myself to unlock the trophies for.

+ snakeman07 on February 13th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

@#9 Sadly, we probably won’t see a a Deadpool table. The last Marvel table, as of right now, is Dr.Strange.

+ AnoyoIkari on February 13th, 2013 at 12:22 pm said:

@10 you sir, have just broken my heart.

+ RockgamerXIII on February 13th, 2013 at 12:48 pm said:

I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I’m still excited to play these tables. And hey, Zen Pinball has made me a fan of things I’d never even heard of before (Moon Knight comes to mind), so I’m sure it’ll only make me become a bigger Star Wars fan.

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar

+ Bobby Loertscher on February 13th, 2013 at 1:16 pm said:

That’s great to hear. People thought we were crazy when announced the Moon Knight table, but it turned out to be a hit!

+ Mando44646 on February 13th, 2013 at 12:58 pm said:

I cant wait for these. I love the Marvel tables from Zen!

+ XFRod on February 13th, 2013 at 1:35 pm said:

Will you be able to shut off the mission checkpoints? I know there’s a trend in gaming to make games more accessible to the casual masses and, I’m glad that you’ll be reaching new players with the SW tables. However, some of your pinball fans relish the challenge of having to have that perfect run. The option to turn it off would be nice.

+ lisatsunami on February 13th, 2013 at 2:04 pm said:

I have never been a pinball enthusiast, not even in the real world, but this looks beyond awesome. Might tempt me, for the Vita. And yay, more Vita games, thanks.

+ jcalvert on February 13th, 2013 at 2:45 pm said:

Any chance of a PS+ discount?

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar

+ Bobby Loertscher on February 13th, 2013 at 2:55 pm said:

Not sure if there are any sales/discounts planned, sorry!

+ saskamazon on February 13th, 2013 at 3:20 pm said:

would love a discount on volume buying – I have 14 of your tables, & would love to have them all, but would like to see a bundle price … either way, I’ll be taking the Star Wars bundle – they’ll look great in 3D ! best pinball game ever !

+ inuyasha_523 on February 13th, 2013 at 3:36 pm said:

Is this going to be a seperate game from zen Pinball 2 or is it just an additional dlc?

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar

+ Bobby Loertscher on February 13th, 2013 at 3:47 pm said:

Both actually! We’ll have more details on how that will all work once we get closer to release :)

+ RANDOG1957 on February 13th, 2013 at 5:41 pm said:

Have most or all zen tables like everyone of them looking forward to this one. thks zen

+ Dientes_chuecos on February 13th, 2013 at 7:10 pm said:

I’ve been a fan of his work (zen pinball, marvel pinball and pinball fx). How much will this table? 2.50 or 3 dollars? Regards

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar

+ Bobby Loertscher on February 14th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

We’ll announce pricing next week along with more details and the Boba Fett table trailer.

+ tusunami on February 13th, 2013 at 8:33 pm said:

The force is strong with this one yeeeeeaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ TripG on February 13th, 2013 at 8:41 pm said:

Is there a way to shut off the voices? I find it really distracting for iconic movies to have any movie lines read by other actors. Luke Skywalker does not sound like that lol.

Bobby Loertscher's Avatar

+ Bobby Loertscher on February 14th, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

Most of the lines are actually original lines from the movie (unless of course it mentions something pinball specific) and all of the music tracks are original licensed tracks :)

+ SpooNManX on February 13th, 2013 at 8:43 pm said:

Looks very nice. I was hoping for a few more ramp shots (as with Plants Vs. Zombies), but I will definitely be buying this. I love both ZP2 and TPA. Can’t get enough pinball! :)

+ Marillionaire on February 13th, 2013 at 10:28 pm said:

I can’t wait for this, please please release it soon. It just looks amazing! Set light sabers to ready!

+ JROD0823 on February 13th, 2013 at 11:13 pm said:

I just hope the bundle is priced reasonably and Disney won’t try to pressure Zen into forcing people into an expensive money grab scheme since everything Star Wars themed seems to be a touch overpriced in comparison to other brands.

+ ItaChu on February 14th, 2013 at 3:55 am said:

Gimme a Evil Luke Skywalker table and were set.

+ Brandon1596 on February 14th, 2013 at 4:48 am said:

Can you PLEASE make The Adams Family Pinball arcade game? It is very addictive when you play it..

+ jorgemaltrain on February 14th, 2013 at 5:34 am said:

I don’t know if the game is good or bad, Zen… but I’ll buy it if you give us a bigger picture of Bobby Loertscher!!! <3

+ Stargazr64 on February 14th, 2013 at 6:40 am said:

Bobby, can you PLLLLLLEASE make Tesla available to buy by itself on Vita? I’ll gladly fork over $2.50 or $3 for it but I don’t really want the other table in the bundle.

These Star Wars tables look great and I’ll be buying them day 1.

+ FeistFan on February 14th, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

@27- There’s a different developer that specializes in pinball games that mirror real-world tables, and I seem to recall that they may be working on Adams Family (or have it already) – either way, find them and ask. While I love the real-world table recreations, that’s just not what Zen does – and I love what Zen does, too!

Looking forward to Star Wars pinball. Wish I could cross-buy for the PS3 and my Android tablet, but if the price is right and the gameplay as fun as it looks, I may have to buy this for both platforms. So far I haven’t duplicated any tables between the two, but this just might make me change my mind.

+ TenaciousQC on February 14th, 2013 at 12:12 pm said:

Can you PLEASE make The Simpson Pinball arcade game?

+ devilmosh on February 14th, 2013 at 5:04 pm said:

Take my money, already! I’ve been dreaming of a Zen and Lucas arrangement for a long time now! Woohoo!

+ PrimeroIncognito on February 14th, 2013 at 5:57 pm said:

@ lisatsunami

How can anyone not like pinball?!?!?

It’s one of the greatest games ever invented. :)

+ voodooblue_2008 on February 15th, 2013 at 6:59 am said:

Yoda quote: “[closes his eyes for a moment] Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.” Just like waiting for this release… come on lets get this out there so we all play it. Can’t wait. I’m looking forward to both Empire Strikes Back and Clone Wars.

Keep up the great work, I’ve only played Zen Pinball for a couple weeks and can’t believe I didn’t know about this game earlier on PS Vita. Now I’m getting my money’s worth and really enjoying the console.

+ BurnChao on February 15th, 2013 at 4:14 pm said:

Did you get the license pre-Disney or post-Disney? I’m just curious, it has always seemed difficult for most to get licenses to Star Wars stuff, but the table obviously has had more work put into it than just acouple months worth.

+ chris21anton on February 17th, 2013 at 2:41 pm said:

Can we please have the south park pinball table??