PS4-The Order

DUALSHOCK 4 Revealed: Pushing the Boundaries of Play

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar + Posted by Shuhei Yoshida on Feb 20, 2013 // President, SCE Worldwide Studios

Hi Everyone! It’s a special day at PlayStation, and I hope all of you had a chance to watch the livestream of PlayStation Meeting 2013 in New York, where we just unveiled PlayStation 4. One of the most exciting components of our next-generation platform is DUALSHOCK 4, the new wireless controller that combines with PlayStation 4 to deliver new gameplay experiences that have never been possible before.

DUALSHOCK 4

I’d like to give you a tour of DUALSHOCK 4 and the features that will provide game developers the freedom to create brand new experiences that previously were limited to their imaginations.

Design

DUALSHOCK 4 adopts the familiar form factor of the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller with some key enhancements:

• Motion control is enabled by a new highly sensitive six-axis sensor
  • Dual analog sticks fine-tuned for better precision plus improved surface materials and shape for more delicate manipulation
  • L2/R2 buttons on the top of the controller employ a curved design for easier, smoother interaction
  • A new “Options” button combines the functions of the DUALSHOCK 3’s “Select” and “Start” buttons for operating in-game menus

New Ways to Play, Share and Connect

In addition to these features that build on the controls that you already know, DUALSHOCK 4 offers new features that enable new ways to play, a key part of the PS4 experience. One of the biggest innovations we’ve designed centers on the deep social interactions that will surround all games on PS4.

DUALSHOCK 4

DUALSHOCK 4DUALSHOCK 4

The “Share” button allows you to easily broadcast your gameplay in real-time through streaming sites such as Ustream, where fellow gamers can comment and even join your game in new ways. For example, if you’re stuck in a difficult level, your friends can offer health potions or special weapons that you can use during gameplay. You can also instantly upload images or video to Facebook by pressing the “Share” button. As both a developer and a gamer, I’m personally excited about the opportunity to get help from friends when facing a challenge, and I can’t wait to see what my friends are playing in real time along with videos of their favorite in-game moments.

On the front side of DUALSHOCK 4 is a light bar with LED that illuminate in various colors to match the color of the character in a game as a simple way to identify players. The colors can also provide useful information to players, such as when their character has taken damage during a game. DUALSHOCK 4 was developed alongside a second peripheral, a dual camera which can sense the depth of the environment in front of it and also track the 3D location of the controller via its light bar. The new camera incorporates four microphones capable of accurate sound detection and source origination, and it will support the PlayStation Move motion controller with more precision than ever before.

Camera_05Camera_07

DUALSHOCK 4 also has a touchpad at the front of the controller as a new input method, offering more ways to interact with games. Additionally there’s a built-in speaker and headset jack to deliver high-fidelity sound effects from the games. A headset will be bundled with PS4, enabling gamers to chat with friends during online gaming and to hear sound effects from the controller.

There’s a lot built into DUALSHOCK 4, and the features were all thoughtfully designed with input from the development community (both our internal studios and third parties) and PlayStation gamers. Our goal was to give game creators an open canvas to express their ideas, and DUALSHOCK 4 combined with DUALSHOCK 4 will help us achieve the future of gaming that we at PlayStation see ahead of us.

What do you think? What’s your favorite new feature for DUALSHOCK 4?

365 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 8

+ that-acmilan-guy on February 20th, 2013 at 7:29 pm said:

Is the camera 1080p or 720p? Any news on the battery life of it? Will DualShock 3 work on PS4?

+ Sethen on February 20th, 2013 at 7:33 pm said:

This truly looks like a next gen controller. The design seems like it has a lot going on, which I really can’t wait to get my hands on it. Just so you know yosp, your gonna make me go broke with all this swag your throwing in my face ;D BEYOND!!!!!!

+ RonZero7 on February 20th, 2013 at 7:36 pm said:

I really like the longer grips and the better R2/L2 and the new analog stick design! Also the share button functionality is just awesome! I’m not so sure how the touch pad factors in though.

+ dodgedoors on February 20th, 2013 at 7:37 pm said:

Love the controller, wish was a little bigger. Stupid big hands.

+ NiteKightNight on February 20th, 2013 at 7:40 pm said:

Looks fantastic! I wonder how the Move works with this new camera…

+ dodgedoors on February 20th, 2013 at 7:40 pm said:

Oh and is the touch pad variable? Can it display anything? like buttons and game specific options? or is it a straight touchpad like the vita?

+ SinfulWarrior on February 20th, 2013 at 7:41 pm said:

looks so good I wanna get bashed in the head until i wind up in a coma, for at least as long as it takes for this to come out.

+ swisstylez on February 20th, 2013 at 7:41 pm said:

The Dualshock 4 look really nice and seems more comfy.. But I don’t see why you guys are still trying with ps move..

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on February 20th, 2013 at 7:42 pm said:

The best thing shown today.

+ KAPADO on February 20th, 2013 at 7:42 pm said:

Can I make sweet sweet loving to it ? Look ,the bluray spirit of Phil Harrison flows within it still .

+ dodgedoors on February 20th, 2013 at 7:42 pm said:

Oh and is the touch pad variable? Can it display anything( I know it won’t be a screen)? like buttons and game specific options? or is it a straight touchpad like the vita?

+ lisatsunami on February 20th, 2013 at 7:47 pm said:

Yes, this looks so full of fun gaming potential. Thanks for the trigger work, that was really needed. I have to always add after-market snap on trigger extenders. Pink of course.

Which reminds me, Yoshida-San, many of us in the Playstation world are female and would appreciate pretty color options like purple. Please don’t wait 5 years before you introduce color options. Third party controllers all suck, only OEM are as responsive as needed.

And I own all current consoles and can easily say the DualShock is the best for playing pain-free for many, many hours.

+ headronefish on February 20th, 2013 at 7:51 pm said:

TBH it looks a little awkward with the touchpad in the middle. And I really don’t like this share button thing, I just want to play videogames.

+ Sgt_0951 on February 20th, 2013 at 7:51 pm said:

The “feel” of the controller (grip, weight, etc.) is what matters to me more than anything, so I’ll never have an opinion on the Dualshock 4 until I can actually hold one in my hand.

+ Milagres_ on February 20th, 2013 at 7:53 pm said:

I really don’t care about the share button.

What I really care:
The analog sticks must have better precision. Xbox won last gen.
L2 /R2. You guys noticed and changed it. Hope it feels more like a trigger. Again, Xbox won.
Don’t screwup the D-pad. Like Xbox did.

The touch pad is a great addition.
Can’t see where the light stuff hurts.

All the above plus a comfortable controller (and man it seens comfortable) and you’ll know you made it right.

+ Milagres_ on February 20th, 2013 at 7:54 pm said:

and what @14 said

+ batbugz on February 20th, 2013 at 7:58 pm said:

I love the new design but I wished for old times sake the Options said Start.

+ sagohichi on February 20th, 2013 at 7:58 pm said:

I don’t know how the LED light works, but it does look cool.
I hope next Uncharted will feature the motion control sniping like the Golden Abyss.

I am most excited about the touch pad on the controller. It means that PS4 can have mouse pointer control by default, right? That certainly open door to MMOs and RTSs.

+ Rick1220 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:15 pm said:

I like the light idea for identifying players! It’s the little things, right?

One thing I’m curious about is those ridges around the edge of the analog sticks. I’ll have to see the controller in person to see if I like that or not.

But dang, you went all out with the PS4. I’m really impressed with what I’ve seen so far!!

+ GamerXCX_1 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:17 pm said:

Playstation you guys are being so nice and appreciative of your fan base and your consumers. Much better i believe than when you announced the ps3. This kindness and dedication to your fans and gamers is gonna pay of for the PS4 and will reflect in sales. Along with the games and other stuff ofcourse

+ cjmc18 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:17 pm said:

you really don’t want to let me sleep do you!?

+ Ayumi666_88 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:22 pm said:

what i wanna know is what exactly the touch pad do??? “DUALSHOCK 4 also has a touchpad at the front of the controller as a new input method, offering more ways to interact with games.” – is very vague.

+ Ayumi666_88 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:24 pm said:

also i’m gonna miss the old Start/Select buttons :(

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 20th, 2013 at 8:28 pm said:

Honestly, I’m not really feeling the design, but I think it’ll grow on me. That ‘share’ button though……genius!
As for the touch pad, hopefully it’s optional, or if it is built in certain games, make it for more simple commands, like bringing up menus, or picking up weapons, or something like that.

+ PrimeroIncognito on February 20th, 2013 at 8:30 pm said:

I’m glad they got rid of the Select and Start buttons, especially Select. The hangover from the NES that just never went away (until now) even though it was no longer sensible… just because it was familiar. Replacing it with an “Options” button was a smart move.

+ Insomnia999 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:33 pm said:

Great work as always Yosp!
Controller looks great. I think the Share button is just genius. All the Cloud features are excellent.
Can we share our videos right to Youtube?
3D camera = Dance Central on PS4?

+ nutellapr on February 20th, 2013 at 8:35 pm said:

Will you be able to use the touchpad as a way to type and have letters recognized? i.e. use the touchpad to write out letters rather than the slow method of character input found on the DS3? Thanks!

+ Butters360 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:36 pm said:

The only nitpick that I have is that the “Sony’ logo is not visible on the front like it has been for the past three DualShock generations. Makes it feel kinda bland. Again, its nitpicking, other than that, the DualShock 4 looks great and grateful for the enchantments.

+ GynPLaYeR on February 20th, 2013 at 8:36 pm said:

Who ever design the L2 + R2 buttons for PS3 and PS4 controllers should be slapped. I hope third party make triggers for this new controller like they did on PS3 because the L2 + R2 looks trash like the Dual shock 3 or Sony at least could make an R2 L2 that stands out like the Xbox controller. Everyone that i know complaigns about this on dual shock 3 and now they do the same thing on dual shock 4.

+ Metalsonic_69 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:38 pm said:

@#15—The PS3′s analog sticks are actually more precise than the 360′s.

+ Elvick_ on February 20th, 2013 at 8:38 pm said:

@13: People like you make no sense. If you don’t like the share button, don’t use it. Tada. Ignore it like developers ignored the select button.

+ Pabloo1010 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:41 pm said:

Dualshock 4 is gorgeously sleek. Probably the best gaming controller ever made. I’m sure that’s what you guys were aiming for.

+ Elvick_ on February 20th, 2013 at 8:44 pm said:

I’m warming up to the design now that I see Sony’s ‘sexy’ images of it.

Not sure what application the touch pad will have on PS4 so I don’t really grasp what it’s there for, so I’ll have to see some uses of it before I understand it. I have no issues with it though.

In the end, we have to use the controller to really know what it’s like. And nothing new on the DS4 takes away from the standards we’ve been used to for years. Aside from the select button, which was useless in most games.

+ CapinChronic on February 20th, 2013 at 8:47 pm said:

The sticks and the triggers look tight!!… cant wait to get my hands on this badboy!!!

+ SlyCooperFan100 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:49 pm said:

“A headset will be bundled with PS4″

Whoa, seriously?! Add Second Son and Watch_Dogs to that bundle and I am so sold!

+ Squiggle55 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:55 pm said:

I honestly can’t even think of any creative uses for a touchscreen that isn’t a screen. Anyone have any ideas?

+ YuuP-NuuH on February 20th, 2013 at 8:56 pm said:

SPYstation4 is not for me

+ KillCount2121 on February 20th, 2013 at 8:56 pm said:

Looks freaking nice!

+ Blkant on February 20th, 2013 at 8:58 pm said:

That thing is painfully ugly… Can we still use the dualshock 3 instead? Will there be a non overly cluttered version without all the annoying lights and speakers etc…? Will it actually look better than that in the end or is that really the final model?

+ omegazio on February 20th, 2013 at 8:59 pm said:

the playstation meeting was perfect but i have four problems 1 is this 4KTV native and ready 2 where is the console 3 how can i transfer my ps3 data to it 4 can we cross video chat ?

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 20th, 2013 at 9:00 pm said:

The camera looks pretty slick too. ” And it will support the PlayStation Move motion controller with more precision than ever before.” Sounds like a good deal to me. And Media Molecule killed with that move tech demo!

+ Shacojin on February 20th, 2013 at 9:02 pm said:

LOVE the upgrades to the always near perfect dualshock controller.. although for the PlayStation 4 EYE I read:

Video Pixel (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
Video Frame Rate 1280×800 pixel @ 60fps

Really wish it was an 1080p cam.. Full HD at launch all around SONY!!

+ FIat——-line on February 20th, 2013 at 9:05 pm said:

Headphone Jack!!!!! can we listen to the whole game or just the sound effects that the controller makes…The whole game would be amazing!…I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

+ YuuP-NuuH on February 20th, 2013 at 9:07 pm said:

SPYstation4 is not for me, I value anonymity

+ midnightshade on February 20th, 2013 at 9:09 pm said:

@29 — the bottom triggers do stick out a bit.. look at this image zoomed in:

- The ds3 triggers were not like this they were titled inwards, these are slightly titled outward with a small lip at the end. and are probably more springy. i bet they will be more versatile to more games than just shooters too. xbox triggers were only good on fps games and were very inconvient for use on other genres of games. And unlike that device PS has more variety than just FPS and motion.

The controller looks slick and the grips under it are the first thing I noticed on the zoomed in photo, it looks nicely designed and still stays true to its heritage. They made sure to not change the layout, which I need to thank sony for. . THANK YOU!!! As i can’t stand asymmetrical controllers , your hands aren’t asymmetrical why should your controller be? It’s uncomfortable that way. Thankfully too, you guys didn’t get rid of rumble (even thought it wasn’t mentioned, I am sure it wouldn’t be called “dual shock” if not.

+ midnightshade on February 20th, 2013 at 9:09 pm said:

You guys did right by us hardcore by keeping to traditional controls. I don’t want a huge tablet screen, ( have a vita for that that is portable if I want it) , I also don’t want no controller games.. Companies keep trying to get rid of what works…the controller. Which to me makes bad games and only brings in the casuals for a bit then they leave, its not worth it. Also good that if I want move, i can use my existing set.

Now my only question is , what if you need to play a game that requires the select button, like older games? Mass Effect 1 requires select for grenades and start for the menu. How will this work for those games. Will start and select be emulated on the touch pad? Please elaborate. Don’t know why no one else has brought this up. But it’s a big ?

+ DaGimp13 on February 20th, 2013 at 9:11 pm said:

@ PS Blog Team

I noticed the new DS4 controllers have a mic/headset inputs (included thankfully), and I’m curious if they’re necessary for communicating, or if the current Pulse ELITE headsets will be compatible with the PS4 as well? kinda love gaming in 7.1 surround :)

also with Gaikai streaming past PS1-PS3 titles, how does that affect disc copies currently owned? would the BR drive read the disc, acknowledge you own it and unlock the game in the service for PS4 use? or would the PS4 just be backwards compatible via software emulation, which we all are still somewhat curious about? would suck to have to buy digital copies of every disc I own, considering some are collectors editions…what am I to do with those? discard, sell, or keep? certain questions alot of us would love answered if you can.

+ jasongallant on February 20th, 2013 at 9:12 pm said:

I’m very happy about all the news… They are awesome… For now, it’s enough info for me.
There’s alot of people that asks way too many questions… I think we got what we needed for now…

+ midnightshade on February 20th, 2013 at 9:12 pm said:

@44 … i am sure you can turn it off… and your other choice will require always online, always watching kinect which will spy on you all the time… so you will be left with a last gen machine if you want a console. Sony is know for having things like this with options. Especially social stuff. Remeber when facebook and twitter were added for trophies? or the vita social stuff. it always gives you options to turn stuff off or an option to share or not. the choice is yours and its still there for people that want it.

+ midnightshade on February 20th, 2013 at 9:15 pm said:

@DaGimp13 – they said it will roll out in phases. and if you are like me you probably still have a backlog a mile long of ps3 games (with many more coming this spring and summer). I would not get rid of your ps3. It’s not like ps4 will upres them like the ps3 did to ps2 games… it would require a cell chip and that would skyrocket prices for this console to the stratsphere. So keep your ps3 and play the gaiki stuff as it comes out. Thats what I will be doing anyway. My biggest concern now is used games, price of console, free online gameplay ,and being able to buy one of these on day 1.

PAGE 1 2 3 8