Driveclub

2013 PSN Gamers’ Choice Awards Winners, Big Discounts Starting Today

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar + Posted by Pierre Gravereau on Feb 26, 2013 // Director, Digital Distribution

After a frenzied week of voting on the PlayStation Store and the PlayStation Web Store — drum roll please — it’s time to announce the winners of the 2013 PSN Gamers’ Choice Awards! This year’s awards recognized top-notch games from 2012 in 10 different categories, including Best PS3 Full Game, Best PSN Game, Best PS Vita Game, Best PSN Indie and plenty more.

PSN Gamers' Choice Award Winners 2013

All of the nominees for this year’s PSN Gamers’ Choice Awards were amazing titles that were picked based on their user-ratings. It was the fans who helped support these titles and recognized their genius by casting their votes. So before we announce the winners, we want to give a huge shout-out to our PlayStation community that has given these exceptional titles their dues by playing and rating these games!

Remember, starting later today when PS Store publishes, each of these titles will be discounted up to 50% in the PlayStation Store (up to 60% for PlayStation Plus members) through Monday, March 4th.

Without further ado, we present the winners of the 2013 PSN Gamers’ Choice Awards:

Best PSN Exclusive Game

Journey (Regular price: $14.99; Sale price: $10.49; PS Plus price: $7.34)

Best PSN Game

The Walking Dead – Season Pass (Episodes 1-5) (Regular price: $19.99; Sale price: $13.99; PS Plus price: $9.79)

Best Indie Game

Journey (Regular price: $14.99; Sale price: $10.49; PS Plus price: $7.34)

Best PS3 Full Game

Assassin’s Creed III (Regular price: $59.99; Sale price: $49.99; PS Plus price: $34.99)

Best PS Vita Game

Gravity Rush (Regular price: $35.99; Sale price: $24.99; PS Plus price: FREE)

Best PSP Game

Unchained Blades (Regular price: $29.99; Sale price: $20.99; PS Plus price: $14.69­)

Best PlayStation Classic

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Regular price: $14.99; Sale price: $7.49; PS Plus price: $5.99)

Best mini Game

Velocity (Regular price: $4.99; Sale price: $3.49; PS Plus price: $2.44)

Best PlayStation Move Enabled Game

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Regular price: $29.99; Sale price: $23.99; PS Plus price: $21.59)

Best Competitive Multiplayer Game

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Regular price: $14.99; Sale price: $10.49; PS Plus price: $7.34)

Be sure to check out our recently announced lineup of Day 1 Digital titles. Also, don’t miss our current promotion (ending April 1st) that awards a voucher code for a $10 credit for your SEN Wallet for every $50 spent in the PlayStation Store or the PlayStation Web Store.

We hope you enjoy the great savings we’re bringing you for the third annual Gamers’ Choice Awards, and thanks again for casting your votes! Tune in next year for another round of awards (and discounts!) on your favorite games.

148 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Earthling_8 on February 26th, 2013 at 4:46 pm said:

So is this about the best games or to get discounts on games people haven’t played. Isn’t this the Gamers Choice Awards…Oh look the Walking Dead is on sale!

+ StarwindTheBold on February 26th, 2013 at 4:47 pm said:

#86, I already own a copy. But nice try to be funny though.

+ KiD_SyM on February 26th, 2013 at 5:09 pm said:

Only 6 dollars off Ghost Recon? I was really hoping for 50% off on it.

+ I-Like-Pie45 on February 26th, 2013 at 5:14 pm said:

So, the blog says up to 50% and 60% Plus discounts, but yet the store is 30% and 50% off. Interestingly enough, the XMB header message says the sales are up to 75%!

So, why has the store been so inconsistent with the exact discount amount?

Also the least you could’ve done with Journey winning two awards with, y’know give it a bigger discount or give one to the 2nd Place game.

+ grbolivar on February 26th, 2013 at 5:19 pm said:

@I-Like-Pie45 stop whining and enjoy your discounts ;)

+ kotzer71 on February 26th, 2013 at 5:37 pm said:

assassin’s creed 3 beats borderlands2 i don’t wanna live on this planet anymore

+ ieswkMN on February 26th, 2013 at 5:40 pm said:

Really hoped playstation battle royale would have been on sale. Oh well

+ Cloud_X1 on February 26th, 2013 at 5:48 pm said:

Steam. . .pfft!

+ Wtfman90 on February 26th, 2013 at 6:00 pm said:

I wanted Unfinished Swan!! I’ll be picking up Journey tho!

+ Ginsu3000 on February 26th, 2013 at 6:07 pm said:

scratching head right now on why persona 3 portable didn’t win? All the love for persona 4 and none for 3? I am baffled… and kinda surprised that I seem to be the first person to care (unless I missed someone else, sorry in advance), And No I am not just saying this because I wanted the discount, just genuinely shocked…

+ RedWaltz79 on February 26th, 2013 at 6:11 pm said:

This is horrible.

1.) Journey wins two times, which basically eliminates a potential sale item.

2.) Journey shouldn’t be up for best PSN exclusive, since it had a retail release last year also.

3.) The whole idea of a “vote” is silly in these situations. If you are voting on whether a game is best in its class, especially in categories like “Best PSN Exclusive,” there is a good chance you already own the game, or else you wouldn’t be able to judge whether it was good or not. If you own the game, you most likely aren’t going to buy it on sale.

4.) Gravity Rush? Seriously? The game was already free for Plus members; what was the point?

5.) I WANTED TOKYO JUNGLE! In the future, eliminate the vote. They already know which games people like the most from sale records. They already voted with their dollars. Instead, put those popular games on sale and also lesser known games that were also awesome… like TOKYO JUNGLE!!!

Horrible and lame. The people who decide on sales should be ashamed of themselves and their lack of judgment.

+ StarwindTheBold on February 26th, 2013 at 6:34 pm said:

#111, But the sale was decided on what the PEOPLE voted on.

+ SacredxSaber on February 26th, 2013 at 6:40 pm said:

What the hell skullgirls didn’t win this contest was rigged…lol jk

+ TJF588 on February 26th, 2013 at 6:45 pm said:

DISCLAIMER: I voted twice, but for titles I felt should win, rather than what I wanted on sale. (There really should be an alternate incentive; put all titles on sale, but adjust the discounts.)

GTA:SA was obvious for brand-recognition & price-hiked in PS2 Classics, but I don’t see why bother getting on PSN when even moderately good PCs allow for mods, too. (Voted Persona 3 FES and Legend of Dragoon, the latter which I really’d’ve liked to win, since I’m in the mood for an older JRPG.)

Glad Journey won, but it is a shame we missed out on another sale, particularly if TOKYO JUNGLE could have won (have both, but the latter could use some exposure).

Shame SkullGirls didn’t win the multiplayer, but maybe the Plus crowd is tired out of fighters. That, and Counter-Strike has an ingrained following (likely for good reason).

Good on Velocity for winning, even with its PS3 version in the works. The one exclusive of that group, too. Part of the reason I chose Growlanser for PSP (Unchained Blades is on 3DS, and I’m not one for SRPGs).

Definitely glad The Walking Dead won its category. Adventure games have really made a comeback (and I’m still going through Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse from forever ago in Plus).

+ RedWaltz79 on February 26th, 2013 at 6:52 pm said:

@112

Read #3 very closely.

+ torib98 on February 26th, 2013 at 6:54 pm said:

until when is this going to be available with the discounts ? Also is the walking dead game good if ive never seen the walking dead TV show ( Ive heard its boring ) ? and is san andreas boot any good , i heard the resolution doesn’t fit the screen well with a 1080p TV.

+ StarwindTheBold on February 26th, 2013 at 7:02 pm said:

#113, You’re right, most of the people that voted probably do own the games in the categories, but Sony makes the sale for people who don’t have the game can see what the buzz is about and why people voted it the best. At least that makes sense to me. If you don’t own or have played the game, then why would you vote it the best?

+ StarwindTheBold on February 26th, 2013 at 7:02 pm said:

The above comment was for #115. Sorry about that.

+ zultan8212 on February 26th, 2013 at 7:10 pm said:

Wow we get Journey discounted twice… Awesome… (sarcasm)

+ Lucianman101 on February 26th, 2013 at 7:29 pm said:

Finally get to see whats the big deal about Journey and The Walking Dead *runs to PSN Store*

+ Belias_The_Gigas on February 26th, 2013 at 7:43 pm said:

A Question: Say I curently have PS+, but I wanted to buy Gravity Rush digitally so I could play it after my subscription expires. Is there anyway to grab this deal now?

+ drGiggless on February 26th, 2013 at 7:50 pm said:

…and none of these games will be playable on PS4. It’s funny how they try to push us to buy digital, yet they way overprice their stuff, most games can be bought cheaper as physical copies at retail stores than digital on the PS Store, which is an absolute joke. Then they have the gall to not even let you play your digital purchases on PS4. Sony, it’s no one’s fault but your own that you’re on the brink of bankruptcy.

+ Elvick_ on February 26th, 2013 at 7:52 pm said:

Not sure about anyone else, but I voted for what I thought was best. Including things that I already owned. I don’t mind if a game I love gets more attention via a sale happening, which is my thought behind it. Guess it didn’t really help that I had all the games I wanted so I wasn’t really tempted.

@4: People probably just wanted to get it at a discount. That’s the flaw of these awards. I saw the move controls on YouTube and laughed. So lazy. Made me not even bother to buy the game.

@13: I think that’s a great idea. It’s kind of a waste when the same game wins twice.

+ Elvick_ on February 26th, 2013 at 7:53 pm said:

@122: just because they’re digital, doesn’t mean they weren’t developed with the cell processor which the PS4 doesn’t use.

Use your brain, if it’s still in that head of yours.

+ somebignasty on February 26th, 2013 at 8:40 pm said:

FINALLY got Counter-Strike after I missed that darn Xmas sale.

+ Ginsu3000 on February 26th, 2013 at 9:22 pm said:

Apologies to #87 afigueroa. I stand corrected, there is at least one other persona fan out there, Yay! It’s still ‘beary’ confusing as to why there aren’t more of us, but at least I found another worthy psn friend, cheers!

+ jayrabbit on February 26th, 2013 at 11:27 pm said:

Journey should of never been nominated for indie game.

+ USCCM on February 27th, 2013 at 12:30 am said:

Rainbow Moon lost?

Booooooo!

Legend of Dragoon lost?

Double BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

+ Monterossa on February 27th, 2013 at 12:32 am said:

YES!! AC3 won.

and I’m glad that Borderlands 2 lost.

+ jeanrmarques on February 27th, 2013 at 3:36 am said:

Too all the idiots complaining about Journey winning 2 categories, even if EVERYONE voted for journey in only 1 category, this could still happen, if they all voted divided in 2 categories, if 50% of the people voted in Journey for best Indie game, and 50% voted for Journey for best PSN Exclusive, they could’ve won both categories, if those voters divided their votes when picking other title from the other category.

Example of 10 people:

5 voted for journey as best PSN Exclusive, 4 voted for Unfinished Swan and 1 voted for Tokyo Jungle
5 voted for Journey as best Indie Game, 2 voted for Rainbow Moon and 3 voted for Sound Shapes.

The final results would be:
Best PSN Exclusive:
Journey – 5 votes
Unfinished Swan – 4 votes
Tokyo Jungle – 1 vote

Best Indie Game:
Journey – 5 votes
Sound Shapes – 3 votes
Rainbow Moon – 2 votes

This is a scenario that could happen even if nobody voted on Journey twice.

+ jeanrmarques on February 27th, 2013 at 3:36 am said:

Also, there’s no point in discussing likes and dislikes, there’s no good game or bad game, only a good game FOR YOUR TASTE, or a bad game FOR YOUR TASTE.

I do think that having the winners on sale hurt the contest tho, as it divides people. some vote on the games they really think that deserve to win, others vote on the games they want on sale.

+ EggySong85 on February 27th, 2013 at 4:18 am said:

Well crap. $10 guys. Should it be Walking Dead or Journey?

+ afigueroa on February 27th, 2013 at 5:22 am said:

EggySong85
I own both and honestly I did not get into Journey!! I really enjoyed the Walking Dead a lot. Personal opinion though.

+ RulitoCR on February 27th, 2013 at 6:01 am said:

This half great and half not-so-great!!

Great because finally I bought The Walking Dead!!

Not-so-great because I already have Journey and Counter Strike (well with the holidays discount)!

At the end, everything is great with PS Plus

+ mixedkidbx on February 27th, 2013 at 6:33 am said:

wow Journey taking up 2 spots. my god how stupid is the person who made this “election”.

why not have Journey in every single spot on the list.

+ Monterossa on February 27th, 2013 at 7:26 am said:

Journey should have won the most overrated game of 2012.

+ TALLglassofWATER on February 27th, 2013 at 7:35 am said:

I’m so very disappointed that Tokyo jungle didn’t make it. I’m disappointed that the general public seemed not to realize they were voting for a sale. I might pick up the walking dead season pass, going to mull it over. Othe than that this week is pretty barren for me.

+ Tenmyouji on February 27th, 2013 at 7:40 am said:

I guess I might pick up CS: GO. Not sure though. Tons of games already in the backlog and I’ve never been big on FPS games, but it’s the only one that interests me from the sale.

Feedback wise, you all might want to change the sale incentive for next year’s PSN Gamers’ Choice Awards. While the sale itself is appreciated on everything here, I was routing for games I’ve never played before just so I could purchase them at lower prices.

+ dinkin-flicka on February 27th, 2013 at 8:30 am said:

Picked up Journey, Dead Walking and GTA:SA. Thanks to the free $10 funding of my wallet, one pick was basically a freebie. Doh! Forgot to spend $50 to get $10 off though.

+ R_I_P-MAX_CAT on February 27th, 2013 at 9:55 am said:

Hey I’m DLing GTA:SA tonight. At $7.50. it’s worth it not to keep dragging out the PS2 and WIRED controllers. “The Truth” and Woozie are great… could do without that idiot Zero though.

+ BigTallChris on February 27th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

Am I the only person in the world who did NOT like Journey?!?!?!

+ afigueroa on February 27th, 2013 at 11:07 am said:

BigTallChris

I didn’t like Journey either. It was mostly meh, that’s it?

+ CrazyGuy62 on February 27th, 2013 at 12:34 pm said:

GTA:SA and Walking Dead for me!!

+ xKanteNx on February 27th, 2013 at 4:15 pm said:

Wow, really? Thanks for double-voting Journey guys and screwing us out of a discount.

+ Handsome_Jack on February 27th, 2013 at 4:29 pm said:

Borderlands 2 got robbed

+ Fate_Sxber on February 28th, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

Definitely picking up Journey at the plus price, and I am glad to see Gravity Rush take the win in the Vita category.

+ YusukeCrowSpike on February 28th, 2013 at 3:58 pm said:

Meh

Only game I liked on that list is play station all stars but only because Raiden is in it but other than that Not really interested in the rest

+ oversevethousand on March 2nd, 2013 at 4:01 pm said:

Since it simply isn’t on here, at least not anywhere that I can find: When does the sale on these end? Is it one week only, or will it be going on longer?

PAGE 1 2 3