PS4 - Destiny

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus on PS Vita Today, Team Ninja Talks

Justin Massongill's Avatar + Posted by Justin Massongill on Feb 26, 2013 // SCEA Social Media Specialist

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus on PS Vita

The Ninja Gaiden series, renowned for its surgically precise yet frenetic gameplay, has had a bit of a rebirth on PS Vita. With Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus helping to launch the system, and with the impending release of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus, Ryu Hayabusa has never been more mobile.

With Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus launching today on game card and on PSN bundled with an exclusive costume pack and DLC, we asked Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi to shed light on the perks of the PS Vita version. Read on to learn more about the new Ninja Race and Tag Mission modes, PS Vita development details and more.

PlayStation.Blog: Ninja Gaiden is known for its unforgiving difficulty and hyper-precise controls. How does that necessity translate to the smaller form factor and mobile focus of PS Vita?

Yosuke Hayashi, Head of Team Ninja: We wanted to make sure to keep the feel of the controls identical between the different platforms, thus the inputs and control adjustments have been worked on in detail. Also, the color pallet has been adjusted accordingly to make the visibilities better suited for the compact screens.

PSB: Technically, how difficult was it to recreate this visually demanding PS3 game on PS Vita?

YH: One of the challenges was adjusting the graphics to the hardware’s capabilities, which involved adjusting the character models, sceneries, animations, and numerous effects, to name some. Sceneries in the PS3 version were detailed in all areas, thus allocating the polygon resources to the essential and visible parts that were required without diminishing the overall graphic feel for all the maps. Also, our designers and programmers went over more than 100 of the in-game effects to make it more suitable for the hardware performance without jeopardizing any of the intended look and feel compared to the PS3 installment.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus on PS VitaNinja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus on PS Vita

PSB: In our previous Q&A, you mentioned new “hardcore elements” being added to Sigma 2+ for PS Vita. Can you elaborate on what those might be?

YH: First will be “Ninja Race.” The objective is to complete a map before the clock runs out which will require the players to pick up “Essence” to gain extra time by killing the enemies on the way. The key here is to quickly eliminate the enemies so different tactics are essential compared to the other modes. Also, the “Tag Mission” requires tactical switching of characters during the numerous challenging missions, which will become unforgiving as you enter the second half of the mode.

PSB: Are there any other noteworthy new features that PS Vita owners should keep an eye out for?

YH: Additional costumes have been prepared especially for our character loving fans in mind. Also, the “Hero Mode” is in place similar to Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, which assists players who had difficulties completing the PS3 version. The latest “Hero Mode” will not simply auto guard for you, but will increase the chances of body deception whilst attacking, making it easier to eliminate enemies.

Also, from the action parts, improvements have been made where possible, such as the target switching of your enemies when being surrounded, which allows for intuitive straightforward gameplay at all times.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus on PS Vita

PSB: The original version of the game on PS3 seemed to take a step back from the series’ extreme violence a bit: enemies bled purple smoke and severed limbs disappeared quickly. Will the PS Vita version retain the gore from prior entries in the series?

YH: “More speed, more beauty, more blood” is the concept for the game, and with the PS Vita version having a more compact screen, we enhanced the violence level making it closer to Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge’s impressions to make sure the attacking effects and feel can be seen and understood properly by players.

PSB: What kind of ninja gear is floating around your office? Has anyone looked the wrong way and stepped on a shuriken?

YH: We do have ninja swords lying around in the office, but I think all our staff members carry their individual ninja weapons for self-defense. Obviously, I don’t get to see such weapons since they are hidden on a normal day at the office.

41 Comments

+ MaestroX on February 26th, 2013 at 12:59 pm said:

nice. i will be buying the physical copy

+ EggBok on February 26th, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

Sooo what are the chances of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 Razors Edge Plus (dat name) being released on Vita…
Even though it’s not the strongest game in the series, I wouldn’t mind having the corrected version on my Vita to complete the set.

+ Alucard-XII on February 26th, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

Any chance we will see red blood on the PS3′s Sigma via a patch?

+ Kchow23 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

Could’ve sworn that the game was releasing next month… will there be a demo?

+ Kchow23 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:08 pm said:

I hope Team Ninja starts doing some new IPs or sequels/spin offs instead of porting everything to PS Vita.

+ djml9 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:09 pm said:

I loved the ps3 demo for this, but I never got around to buying it. I did get sigma+ for vita and a plan to get this one on vita as well. Glad to see hero mode stayed, I couldn’t have beaten sigma+ without it, I kinda suck.

+ Ryumoau on February 26th, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

i may try the demo if its released. i’m not normally into purposely difficult games though.

+ AmaterasuOkami1 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:16 pm said:

I see that the trophies for this game is a bit easier to get, and don’t have to grind 1000 kills with each weapons. Now I can actually obtain the platinum way easier. I can’t wait to pick up Stigma 2 Plus soon for the Vita as well. Enjoy the series a lot. :D

+ daniel3334 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:16 pm said:

on my vita now waiting for the store to update. would have been nice if our game save data from sigma 2 for vita couldve been incorporated into plus somehow. either way good job and this store update is gonna be epic!!

+ micturator on February 26th, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Love that the blood and gore is back. Because of this I most certainly will get a copy of Dead or Alive 5 Plus on the vita and Dead or Alive 5 on the PS3. I just have one question.

Will the people who buy a digital copy be able to get the pre-order costumes that the people who bought the physical copy got? I just think there should be a way for those people who give their money directly to the developer to get the same costumes that those who pre-ordered the physical copy. Especially since there’s no chance buyers of the digital copy will re-sale their purchase and possibly deny the developer the money they so deserve.

Another question. What plans does Team Ninja have in store for the PS4?

+ Metalsonic_69 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

#7: Games like this aren’t so much “difficult” as they are “challenging”. Personally, I like challenge in my games, so long as it’s not cheap or frustrating. Games like Mega Man Classic, DMC1 and 3, Ninja Gaiden, R-Type, Demon’s Souls, etc.

+ MarcusGearsofWar on February 26th, 2013 at 1:30 pm said:

Digital is better for me I hope next ps4 keep my games I have over 150 digital games that I dont want to lose, and Ninja gaiden will be part of that list

+ tosun01 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:35 pm said:

You could fix my NG2 copy by bringing back the blood and gore you put in the Vita version.
Damn, I hate that stupid purple smoke. What was wrong with you guys back then?

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 26th, 2013 at 1:37 pm said:

I like difficult games and thought NGS+ shouldn’t be that bad. Safe to say, I was wrong, but I eventually ended up beating it. I may pick this up as well.

P.S. anyone here get the platinum for NGS+? If so congrats you deserve it

+ MushThePainter on February 26th, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

The Vita is amazing! I’m sure this game is great on the hand held and can’t wait to play it, I just wish reviewers would give credit where credit is due instead of comparing these ports to there PS3 counterparts. I’m sure if this was on the 3DS it would get a 9 or a 10, what a shame.. Great job Team Ninja!

+ MushThePainter on February 26th, 2013 at 1:40 pm said:

@12-sorry to say but that won’t be the case,

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on February 26th, 2013 at 1:42 pm said:

Heard the framerate on this game is disgustingly bad.

+ Sonicfan11589 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:42 pm said:

I have seen the trophy list for this game, a lot easier and quicker than the previous Ninja Gaiden game on Vita.

+ kivi95 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

Any patch soon that will fix the slowdowns?

+ micturator on February 26th, 2013 at 1:48 pm said:

Could your ps4 plans involve a lot of water filled areas that would change the translucency of some of the characters clothes(especially the ladies of Dead or Alive), purely cosmetic character damage that reflects the current health of the player, perhaps the wonderful use of fire to burn your opponent to ashes in a Ninja Gaiden-like game, and the use of vehicles on land, air, and water in a Ninja Gaiden-like game that has online multiplayer?

+ Trieloth on February 26th, 2013 at 1:50 pm said:

This is awesome news! Thanks for asnwering some questions but I must be the only person that like the ps3 version :/ I beat the game and enjoyed it alot.
Anywho I will be getting this for my vita!

+ jawara on February 26th, 2013 at 2:15 pm said:

Hey guys i preordered at gamestop and picked it up but had no preorder bonus. Please tell me what to do.. Gamestop told me it isn’t one.

+ MX-Arekku on February 26th, 2013 at 2:39 pm said:

@jawara

You’re not missing much, just three so-so costumes. But either way, they should’ve viven you the voucher or code for those downloadable costumes.

Another reason why I never make my purchases on gamestop.

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on February 26th, 2013 at 2:49 pm said:

Momji and Rachel in DOAX 3.

That is all.

+ S1lentSurviv0r on February 26th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

@22

A lot of people who ordered from GameStop got the shaft. My store did not have the DLC voucher and that was the whole point of me pre ordering it. On GFaqs, theres a thread about people getting stiffed all over. It really sucks. Yeah it was costumes but…. I wanted those costumes, hence the pre-order.

+ jawara on February 26th, 2013 at 2:52 pm said:

Yea i know… I really wanted them though. I always buy from gamestop so idk why this happened.

+ jawara on February 26th, 2013 at 2:53 pm said:

Omg this sucks!

+ micturator on February 26th, 2013 at 3:12 pm said:

@25 & 22

You could pay $39.99 to get it digitally.

+ xenosaga200 on February 26th, 2013 at 3:35 pm said:

great i will buy this great game for my vita =)

+ dorkgeniuz21 on February 26th, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

Any chance of Ryu ending up in ps allstars..where was that question at…lol

+ fatjoe400 on February 26th, 2013 at 5:29 pm said:

Glad the blood issue being fixed. The ps3 version of Ninja Gaiden 3 annoyed me greatly with the lack of well gore. Now have to pick up this version of the game for my vita. Thanks for listening to the fans on this one.

+ S1lentSurviv0r on February 26th, 2013 at 7:58 pm said:

@28.

Thats what I did. I bought the digital version and sold the physical version for only 5 bucks less. Not too shabby… I really wanted the costumes :D

+ Elvick_ on February 26th, 2013 at 8:04 pm said:

Love the first on Vita, even if I suck on Hero Mode… xP I’ve never played 2 before, unlike the first (xbox, PS3, Vita) so this version was a no brainer. My copy already shipped from EB Games.

I hope that we can see NG3: RE+ on Vita, because I’d love to have all three on Vita. At this point in time I have little desire to play it on consoles.

Can’t wait for DoA5+ <3

+ Saeed-Al-Dosary on February 26th, 2013 at 10:33 pm said:

Thank you very much Team Ninja for making these awesome games.

I have some questions, please.

1) Can you please release Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor’s Edge on PlayStation Vita?

2) Can you please release a trophy patch for Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PlayStation 3?

3) Can you please release an HD remaster for Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

4) Can you please release Dead or Alive 4 on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

5) Can you please release Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

6) Can you please make Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita?

7) Can you please make Ninja Gaiden 4 on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita?

8) Can you please release an HD remaster for Dead or Alive on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

9) Can you please release an HD remaster for Dead or Alive 2 on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

+ Saeed-Al-Dosary on February 26th, 2013 at 10:33 pm said:

10) Can you please release an HD remaster for Dead or Alive 3 on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

11) Can you please release an HD remaster for Dead or Alive Ultimate on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

12) Can you please release an HD remaster for Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

13) Can you please release an HD remaster for Dead or Alive Paradise on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

14) Can you please release an HD remaster for Dead or Alive: Dimensions on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita?

That would be awesome and thank you very much for making these awesome games.

+ MyTrinecK on February 26th, 2013 at 11:18 pm said:

what a pity! I‘ve bought the PS3 version of Ninja Gaiden 2. Thus I will not buy a same game twice. So I hope I can see the Ninja Gaiden 3 on coming for the PS Vita and I will buy it without hesitation.

+ Sparkz92 on February 27th, 2013 at 2:11 am said:

NGS2 is one of my favourite action games and i’m definitely getting this. Keep em coming Hayashi, we want NG3 next!! :P

+ Asphaltum on February 27th, 2013 at 9:58 am said:

I picked up this game yesterday. Looks and plays great on the Vita. Thank-you Team Ninja.

+ Shacojin on February 27th, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

Please produce 64GB or 128GB vita memory sticks im running out of space!

+ PrinceofXIII on February 27th, 2013 at 9:19 pm said:

freaking awesome interview :D

+ darkviper016129 on March 17th, 2013 at 5:02 pm said:

PLEASE PATCH CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS FOR NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA 2 PLUS!!!
The Re-Playability of the game would rise to unspeakable amounts.

Also, Add a AI/Cpu Ally intelligence patch option (Low-Med-High) for tag-missions(*Practice-Mode) for fun.

This would be to much but a option to add enemies (any) as a ally (non-playable) to the tag-missing ally would be amazing)

This game would sell sooooo much better with these options Tecmo! Team-Ninja!

Help me get the message around PSBLOG! ^__^\