PS4 - Destiny

UNCHARTED 3 Multiplayer Goes Free-to-Play Today

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Feb 26, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

Like UNCHARTED

After a few months of dropping hints our secret is ready to be made public. We are extremely fortunate to have some of the most devoted and amazing fans in gaming and we wanted to introduce those fans, and the world of UNCHARTED 3 multiplayer, to as many people as possible. We also wanted everyone who plays our multiplayer game to engage with it in a way that best suits their own unique play styles. So, it’s time to go big and grow our community even more. With that, we’re thrilled to announce that UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer is going Free-to-Play!

To date, more than 3.5 million people have played in over 37 million matches of UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer. All Free-to-Play players will become a part of this same player pool of over a half a million passionate players actively playing our game every month. So if you haven’t tried yet, you have no excuse to not be playing one of the most exciting multiplayer experiences on the PS3 — it’s free! Join the adventure starting today.

Once you download the Free-to-Play game from the PS Store you can hop online and play for as long as you want, as much as you want, up to Level 15. Upon reaching Level 15, you’re welcome to continue to play as long as you want without paying a penny more. We’ll continue to track your earned experience points as you play, although you won’t be able to unlock or access them. However should you choose to unlock the level cap, we’ll retroactively apply those achievements to your profile and we’ll continue to allow you to build up your profile right from where the Level 15 cap stops you. Although if you choose not unlock the level cap or purchase anything you’ll be missing out on a slew of cool in-game items and downloadable content we have made for the game to date. Here’s a rundown of what you can unlock:

F2Pcontent

• UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Co-op Adventure Add On – Unlocks Co-Op Adventure mode including the Fort Adventure DLC
  • UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Co-op Arena Add On – Unlocks to gain access to the Co-Op Arena Playlist including the Co-Op Shade Survival Mode DLC for UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Free to Play
  • UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Competitive MP (No Level Limit) – Removes the level cap for UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Free to Play
  • UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Competitive MP (Level 25 Limit) – Removes the Level 15 cap and allows you to play UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Free to Play up to Level 25
  • UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Split Screen Add On – Unlocks Co-Op Adventure mode including the Fort Adventure DLC
  • UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer DLC Map Packs – Unlocks all three DLC map packs released for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception. Includes Flashback Map Pack 1, Flashback Map Pack 2, and Drake’s Deception Map Pack
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Single Player Experience – Uncover the Truth. Unlock the Single Player campaign

If you really enjoy UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Free to Play and are looking for the full UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception experience, the best deal is to pick up the UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Game of the Year Edition from the in-game store, which also launches today for $39.99. This digital version of the UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Game of the Year Edition includes all 12 DLC maps, all Co-Op multiplayer modes, and over 40 character skins. Purchase the digital version of the UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Game of the Year and essentially you’re getting the single-player game for free!

If you already own UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception and you are a long time multiplayer participant, we gave you some very special gifts as a way of saying thank you. Next time you log in online you’ll see a custom Naughty Dog Paw on your rank icon and you’ll receive the Naughty Dog Paw shirt for your custom characters.

Also, to celebrate the launch of UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Free-to-Play we’re getting more colorful. Every character item and every character skin in multiplayer will now have more color options. These new color options are completely free.

During the coming months, more than 40 additional DLC items will be made available. Every DLC drop will have a theme and we’ll be unveiling that content here on PlayStation.Blog, over on the Naughty Dog Blog, and on our Free-to-Play webpage.

Patch 1.17 was also released recently. It includes some big changes you can read about over on the Naughty Dog Blog. For instance, we’ve added another tier to our Tournament. It’s the Platinum level and we have some very cool permanent Platinum level prizes for people who achieve this prestigious level.

We can’t wait to welcome all the new players into our community. Happy Fortune hunting! See you online!

+ khknight on February 26th, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

Really SONY? now i’m really starting to get tired of your BS. U3 is already your top played multiplayer game, its doing just great on its own, it doesn’t need to be free 2 play.

what about TWISTED METAL? or MAG?

you know, the games that actually NEED TO BE F2P BECAUSE OF LOW NUMBERS.

What about the little guy? uncharted is a giant, it doesn’t need help. TM and MAG are 2 of your best multiplayer games this generation that got screw over because of your lack of advertising and bad decisions that you forced on the developers.

please just make twisted metal and mag free to play, aleast for playstation plus.

+ demarcusm on February 26th, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

What? All we get is a shirt? I would of loved map packs.

+ GhostMachine1 on February 26th, 2013 at 12:17 pm said:

I let my friend borrow it several months ago and I never got it back. Will I have to buy the multiplayer although I’ve owned the game? Also, I have a refurbished PS3 that I got after I played the game.

+ fede01_8 on February 26th, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

WOW, give something for free and people still will find ways to complain… SMFH!

+ jimmyfoxhound on February 26th, 2013 at 12:23 pm said:

Can’t wait to download this after the store updates at around 3am tonight… :/

+ EdReedFan20 on February 26th, 2013 at 12:33 pm said:

With Uncharted 3 available on PSN, every Naughty Dog PlayStation game is available on PSN except for Jak X Racing. Even though it wasn’t by ND (but still published by SCE), I would love to see Crash Bash on PSN as well (I know other regions already have it).

+ ali_kfa on February 26th, 2013 at 12:33 pm said:

i dont have it but i have 2

+ shadowtaman on February 26th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

So… do i have to pay for the game? im confused. o.o

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on February 26th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

The multiplayer will be free up to level 15. Then there will be unlocks you can purchase. We’ll have a FAQ up soon. Check on Naughtydog.com.

+ JHarlequin on February 26th, 2013 at 1:11 pm said:

You don’t have to pay, but there is a maximum limit to your levels and your game modes. So you can play forever for free, but the experience you gain stops raising your level when you reach level 15. So only a few unlocks and so on.

As well as it looks like the co-op levels might be locked without paying to unlock them.

You can still gain experience, but you won’t reach a higher level if you don’t pay to unlock your level cap.

On a side note, I am not surprised that something like this finally happened. Quite a few games have released multiplayer modes that have more replayability then the normal game. It just seemed like so many of them could have released the multiplayer as a stand alone version digitally and brought in a large amount of players.

I just hope that other games work this out soon because there are better games out there.

+ Kchow23 on February 26th, 2013 at 1:17 pm said:

I think this is great hopefully it expands the Uncharted MP fanbase :)

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on February 26th, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

So can I work towards getting the online trophies and when I buy the full game it’ll retroactively give me the trophies?

+ John-Shooter on February 26th, 2013 at 1:53 pm said:

please leave out the MP in the next uncharted

+ thebgj on February 26th, 2013 at 2:06 pm said:

The new PS store is so horrible, how do i find the free multiplayer? i have looked but i cant find it. It says available now

+ GrooThePerverted on February 26th, 2013 at 2:06 pm said:

So how much is it if all we want to buy is the Single Player? If we don’t want any of the MP or MP related stuff?

Can we buy just the Single Player?

+ VVaspInatoR on February 26th, 2013 at 2:08 pm said:

Ouch so from my understanding its just the multiplayer taken out of the single player portion of the disc. So i will still need to purchase online pass to unlock the trophies on disc … Tho it would be nice to see companies just do this all the time for multiplayer game content and just have the people pay for the story if the multiplayer is interesting.

+ HyperFlash on February 26th, 2013 at 2:08 pm said:

oh sweet i liked the beta multi player in uncharted 3 and the story of uncharted 2

+ VVaspInatoR on February 26th, 2013 at 2:11 pm said:

@ HyperFlash IMO i still think think Uncharted 1 was the best in the series but most people i know also like Uncharted 2 more.

+ GrooThePerverted on February 26th, 2013 at 2:11 pm said:

@thebgj the store is not updated yet. As of 2:09pm west coast time anyway. I just loaded it up and nothing new is in there. Uncharted 3 is not listed in the F2P stuff either.

Also to the person on the 1st page who said that they will play all their ps3 digital stuff on the PS4, I’m sad to say you are mistaken. That’s why I’m not getting the PS4 for awhile, because nothing I paid for (THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of dollars) will transfer over.

I have 80 full retail games and about 130 PSN games on my Ps3. ZERO chance I buy anything again on the PS4 just because they won’t let me transfer over.

I don’t necessarily buy their “oh we can’t make it work on the PS4″ excuse, because it’s a simple matter of financially benefiting them to do it this way. And I don’t blame them for that. It makes business sense. Just doesn’t make financial sense for me to get a PS4 anytime soon.

I’ll wait two or three years like I did with the Ps3, or get one used for much cheaper.

+ VVaspInatoR on February 26th, 2013 at 2:14 pm said:

@ Groo Only assuming but in all honesty i cant see PlayStation not making past PSN store purchases playable but only time will tell.

+ GrooThePerverted on February 26th, 2013 at 2:20 pm said:

@Waspinator they’ve already confirmed it. PSN purchases will not transfer over because “they can’t play” on that due to the lack of the cell processor.

+ VVaspInatoR on February 26th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

@ Groo Well if that is the case that’s not good for PS well IMO because a lot of people feel this way and a fair percent would rather be playing retro games that would be more comfortable playing on the ps3/4. Then having a boat load of systems laying around. More so for honest players would don’t mind the 4.99 sometimes even 9.99 for a classic then overpaying at some second hand store. Will most likely resort of emulation or hacking or whatever the case my be to get to play these games at a convenience by other means. Again only imo not really feeling what the next gen is selling in terms of more shooters and basically more of the same with better graphics tho this is the uncharted 3 free to play comments so going off topic a bit post up on the THE drop of the week blog if you wanna reply again.

+ ein_nineteenth on February 26th, 2013 at 2:41 pm said:

@51

Dear whoever is replying. :D

Please read post 51.

MAG and Twisted Metal need the F2P treatment.

Despite you know, MAG being amazing ***** awesome game that I was an avid devotee to and the extreme heart break caused by SONY dissolving Zipper. ; _ ;

I thought you guys liked us.

+ GrooThePerverted on February 26th, 2013 at 2:43 pm said:

Well they claim that they could introduce a way to stream your purchases with Gaikai if they decide to (their words), so…maybe.

I still want to know if Sony will allow me to pay for Single Player Uncharted 3 only on the store today. I don’t want Multiplayer for any games (It is an abomination!) except in some circumstances like SSX or Burnout Paradise.

+ Dragjae55 on February 26th, 2013 at 2:44 pm said:

What won’t be available to the free to player users? Sorry a little confused here.

+ duke4life07 on February 26th, 2013 at 2:48 pm said:

My question is will the owners of the disc get all that content too?

+ CaptenCarnage on February 26th, 2013 at 2:49 pm said:

Free to play , pay to win .

+ XxSTMELVINxX on February 26th, 2013 at 3:02 pm said:

so, for those that had the disc, can we download the multiplayer only and still continue ranking up, or would we be affected by the level cap?

+ BobGlooper187 on February 26th, 2013 at 3:09 pm said:

When will the store be updated with this and all the other goodies we have been waiting for?

+ Dragjae55 on February 26th, 2013 at 3:10 pm said:

The Ps store already has this out just search for it. I’m downloading right now as we speak.

+ xmidoz on February 26th, 2013 at 3:10 pm said:

This sounds like Free to try until lvl 15. It is basically a long demo.

+ swisstylez on February 26th, 2013 at 3:13 pm said:

Supeerrrrr this is nice for people who haven’t had the chance to play it before.

+ Ghostwize on February 26th, 2013 at 3:15 pm said:

Naughty Dog knows how to do it!

Q. I don’t own Uncharted 3 anymore but the online pass is still d/l onto my hd. Do I need to delete it to play the F2P MP?

+ ThaWatchman on February 26th, 2013 at 3:15 pm said:

This is a little confusing so if we already own UC3 we can’t download the digital MP experience and play it with no restrictions. Wow this is stupid, how hard would it have been to transfer our data to the digital copy. You did it with the beta experience why would it not work in this situation. Same scenario except this time instead of digital to disc we are going disc to digital. Come on ND throw us a bone here. We want digital too.

+ a194324556 on February 26th, 2013 at 3:38 pm said:

uc3 worth getting

+ a194324556 on February 26th, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

uc3 worth getting with or with out online pass

+ Garigandeljey on February 26th, 2013 at 3:41 pm said:

Uncharted 3 just turned into Resident Evil 6. The 3 co-op modes must be bought separately? I mean really? You are going to make people pay just to play split-screen? What’s next, paying to play the game in color?

+ Garigandeljey on February 26th, 2013 at 3:56 pm said:

I was a bit harsh. I just think this game shouldn’t be advertised as Free-to-Play at all. In this case I believe it’s dishonest. It should be called “Free Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Demo”, because that’s literally what this is. Demos are free to play, and if you want any real idea of the true gameplay experience the developers originally intended, you pay.

+ XxSTMELVINxX on February 26th, 2013 at 4:05 pm said:

Garigandeljey

i agree with first comment. in this case, both the co-op and competitive modes share the same rank. it isnt fair to strip one mode out when both benefit you. from what ive seen from the faqs, anyone that bought the original game and all the dlc are getting cheated because the dlc maps arent compatible with the free to play co-op modes, which is strange because they all share the same maps. i think that everyone that had the original disc and bought all the content from the fortune hunters club should get a code to unlock the content for the free to play version.

+ Ghostwize on February 26th, 2013 at 4:06 pm said:

I agree Garigandeljey.

It is truly more of a demo than anything. I really don’t understand why my online pass won’t allow me access to the entirety of the MP experience. That seems pretty whack. And what the heck is up with all of the same stuff on the Store Update blog post? There are like a million things that all say the same thing but priced different. :/

+ XThexRealxBanksX on February 26th, 2013 at 4:11 pm said:

do we have to download the Language Packs?

+ Ghostwize on February 26th, 2013 at 4:20 pm said:

It auto downloaded them for me. Surely I don’t need all those? I’m deleting them!

+ Tevious on February 26th, 2013 at 4:36 pm said:

$39.99?? Why so expensive? Uncharted 2 GOTY has been $29.99 since it came to PSN. What about those of us who already have the DLC, but want a digital copy?

+ Nano1124 on February 26th, 2013 at 4:54 pm said:

North America only?

+ sekaniy on February 26th, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

I still need help with Uncharted 2 Co-op levels on hard trophy and then Crushing trophy. I can never get pass the first part on Village :(

+ xGREEK_THUNDERx on February 26th, 2013 at 5:17 pm said:

Is the disc based online play unlocked without an online pass now?
Or can I get the last two trophies (online trophies) from the PSN free online download?

+ Tevious on February 26th, 2013 at 5:23 pm said:

@95, the difference with the online pass is that it will allow you to play past level 15.

+ Digital-Big-Boss on February 26th, 2013 at 5:26 pm said:

You guys are GREEDY, I have no regret quitting this game when you added micro-transactions.

+ saskamazon on February 26th, 2013 at 5:46 pm said:

looks like a good MP game …. thanks.

+ paragroth on February 26th, 2013 at 6:22 pm said:

If i already have my online pass from uncharted 3, will i be able to play this? or do i have to still use my disc? :/

+ DBZfanboy25 on February 26th, 2013 at 6:34 pm said:

How much is the Single Player Experience is? I want to try it after I play the Free-To-Play Multiplayer.