Uncharted 4

Feb 27

Runner 2

BIT.TRIP Presents Runner2: CommanderVideo’s PlayStation Debut!

Mike Roush's Avatar Posted by Mike Roush on Feb 27, 2013 // Co-Founder, Gaijin Games

Being a small developer like Gaijin Games can sometimes force us to take things a bit more slowly, and this is why we are both apologizing for taking so long to start making games for PlayStation 3, and why we’re hoping you’ll welcome us with big ol’ greasy hugs when we get there. You see, we have something very special with Runner2, and we’re incredibly excited to share it with you on PSN on March 5th.

Also, if you’re brave and keep reading, you might find a little nugget of gold at the end of this blog post…

Runner 2 on PS3

The Magic of Runner2

While working on the original BIT.TRIP series, we knew we had something special, and we loved making those six games. But it wasn’t until all was said and done and we had time to reflect on the mess we’d made when we realized that BIT.TRIP RUNNER was one of the funnest projects we’d ever worked on, and as we contemplated our next steps, we looked at each other and thought, “You know, I bet we could murder peoples’ fun-glands with a sequel to this beaut.”

But we didn’t want to do a chintzy sequel that felt like more of the same. We wanted to go in a whole new direction while retaining the whimsy of the first game that we loved so much. Mike came up with a fantastic new art style reminiscent of classic cartoons, while Alex worked on new, subtle design elements. Once we pitched everything to the team, we had an epic brainstorming session and everyone was on board.

Top it off with incredible cutscenes narrated by the inimitable Charles Martinet, a handful of unbelievable characters, and a beat you can’t deny, and we think we landed somewhere special.

Finally in bed with Sony

After all these years, we’re incredibly excited to spread our wingflaps and venture from familiar realms and dive headfirst into the mysterious waters known as PSN. We’ve long fantasized about making a PlayStation 3 game (laserlife anyone?), and with Runner2, the choice to expand our development to the platform was obvious. It’s a new game in the BIT.TRIP franchise, with a new look, and with a new appeal. For a brand new audience, it seems like a great point of entry to a series of games previously unavailable on the platform.

Runner 2 on PS3

Living Mi Vita Loca

We are proud to announce that Gaijin Games will be bringing BIT.TRIP Presents… Runner2: Future Legend Of Rhythm Alien to PlayStation Vita. PS Vita is a platform that all of us at Gaijin Games adore, so getting Runner2 on the device was a priority. We truly believe PS Vita is a perfect format to enjoy Runner2 on; the game is simply gorgeous on that OLED screen.

PS Vita is the only place for Runner2 on the GO! Look for it this summer on PSN.

Not sharing our flavors with you on PS3 until now has always felt a little wrong to us, and we’re excited to make our PSN debut with Runner2. To help make it right, we’re offering Runner2 at a 20% discount for all PlayStation Plus members for two weeks!

We hope you give Runner2 a try, and please bug us to death with your witty commentary below, both before and after you play the game! We’ll do our best to answer every last comment.*

*Comments not demanding answering may go unanswered by our answerhands.

PAGE 1 2

+ Gorvi on February 27th, 2013 at 12:45 pm said:

@Alex Neuse – Bad enough to buy them. Hard. I’ll buy them so hard your great grandchildren’s pet goldfish will feel the impact!

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 12:50 pm said:

Speaking of my great grandchildren’s pet goldfish, have you seen Reverse Merman?

+ Go_Buddie_Go on February 27th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

Ahh yes, I’ve been meaning to purchase Limbo. However I wonder if we’ll get it as a free PS+ game, I purchased Closure and that game came out for free like a month later.

It’s not a bad thing if I purchase it, just would be cool if they gave me a free game I don’t own yet. >__>

+ XMbeaner on February 27th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

This series made me rage quit gaming. CANT WAIT!

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 12:34 pm said:

HA! That’s the spirit!

+ terrencec06 on February 27th, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

Looking interesting enough.

+ johnnyp70 on February 27th, 2013 at 1:01 pm said:

I demand to know…What was I thinking when I got dressed this morning?

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 2:38 pm said:

You were thinking “man, I look good in this Unkle Dill costume”

+ androvsky on February 27th, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

I’ve got Bit.Trip Runner 1 on PC and have been enjoying it for a long time now, so I’m interested in this. Not too sure on the new art style, but I’ll be definitely checking out the demo. At this moment in time, I’m actually more interested in double-dipping on the first game… especially if the first game manages to be a cross-buy title somehow.

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 2:37 pm said:

Let us know what you think of the art style change after planting your peepers on it in motion. It’s a whole other ball of earwax.

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 12:59 pm said:

Buy it for the OLED screen, keep it for the RAAAAAAAAGE!

+ Wesley37 on February 27th, 2013 at 12:59 pm said:

I was thinking of getting this game when it was released on another console though I knew I could wait for the PSN release & for the March savings. But the 20% discount is a nice plus & wasn’t expecting that, so that’ll be worth the wait to get it. I saw the official price was $15, so I wonder what the discount price will be for this.

Even though I never tried the original, I did had fun playing the Bit.Trip Arcade game on “Retro City Rampage” from the start to the end, with some rage. So it’ll be a great time on March 5th playing that sequel.

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 2:39 pm said:

You actually beat the Retro City Rampage BIT.TRIP levels?

We take our hats off to, Wesley37.

Our hats…

…are off.

+ johnnyp70 on February 27th, 2013 at 1:08 pm said:

@ Wesley37-If the price is $14.99, 20% off of that is $3.00.

+ WorcesterRaider on February 27th, 2013 at 1:16 pm said:

Welcome to Playstation! I love the art style of this game and the game mechanics look like great fun.

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 2:35 pm said:

Awesome to be here! Poop us a message after you play it and tell us whether it was as fun as you hoped!

+ Kchow23 on February 27th, 2013 at 1:31 pm said:

Wow the game looks great! Will there be cross buy between the PS3 and PS Vita versions?

+ erico316ecw on February 27th, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

first i rarely respone to a blog post but im am to show you guys some love so here a hug. now let get down it welcome to playstation. we need more indie games on the vita. i love indie games. ok ok so my question is now that the ps4 is announced any plans on backing it. also what is the playstaion vita price range???

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 2:35 pm said:

We accept your hug, and raise you one big sloppy kiss.

As for PS4, we are definitely on board, but with what, we’re not totally ready to say. Something mindblasting though.

And Vita price range is as of yet UNKNOWN….

+ S1lentSurviv0r on February 27th, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

You got a buyer right here! I still play the original on my PC when I feel the need to rhythm goodness. Which is quite frequently. Ill be buying it for my vita!

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 2:30 pm said:

Awesome! We’re glad to hear that you’re still playing the first one!

+ HIGHROLLIN_V8 on February 27th, 2013 at 1:41 pm said:

I think everyone’s confusion, including myself pumped for more PS Vita content, were misled by this Playstation Blog’s description on the main page.

“CommanderVideo makes his PlayStation debut in Runner2, coming to PS3 and PS Vita next week with a 20% discount for PS Plus members.”

Someone might want to reword that before Vita owners RAGE. lol

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 2:33 pm said:

SONY!!!!!!!! We blame Sony 100% for the misleading title on the main page.

+ Man-is-Obsolete on February 27th, 2013 at 2:31 pm said:

Heard about this yesterday. Really looking forward to playing this on the Vita! Thank you guys for supporting the Vita, and it’s awesome that you guys are even self publishing on the Vita. Hopefully other indie devs take note, though I think many have.

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 2:32 pm said:

I think you might be on to something. We’ll see in the very near future!

+ Ricen-Beans on February 27th, 2013 at 2:32 pm said:

Will wait for the Vita version and will get day one with dat PS+ discount!

Too bad I have to wait till summer tho :(

+ TheSporkWithin on February 27th, 2013 at 1:57 pm said:

Oh wow, I didn’t actually read the blurb on the main page. That IS weird.

+ Squiggle55 on February 27th, 2013 at 2:11 pm said:

aw man, they need to change the title on the main page. I’ll be waiting for the Vita version it will really be perfect for a handheld.

+ IIL0YDII on February 27th, 2013 at 2:30 pm said:

Title of entry is misleading, I thought PS Vita version comes next week as well as PS3.

+ Alex Neuse on February 27th, 2013 at 2:32 pm said:

That front page title is totally misleading! I got nervous!

PAGE 1 2