PS4-Watch_Dogs

God of War: Ascension: Trial of the Gods Revealed

Andrew Chrysafidis's Avatar + Posted by Andrew Chrysafidis on Mar 06, 2013 // Level Designer, Sony Santa Monica

Like God of War

With less than a week until God of War: Ascension launches, it’s time to drop the curtain on our fourth Multiplayer mode, Trial of the Gods, and our next God allegiance reveal — the Lord of the Sea, Poseidon.

In Trial of the Gods, the first two-player God of War co-op time trial mode, you and a friend will tag-team with your Champions to face five increasingly hard waves of mythological beasts, whilst surviving against the hourglass of Olympus.

Over 15 types of enemies await you, including Satyrs, Cerberuses, Cyclopes, Gorgons, Juggernauts, and more deadly creatures. You will start with a set amount of time on the clock, and win time back with every beast you slay. Decimate a wave and you will be granted a Bonus Time Tiered Award (gold, silver, or bronze) based on how fast you cleared the wave. If you die or run out of time, you’ll have to start over again. If you reach the end of the fifth round, an epic boss awaits.

At launch, Trial of the Gods will be available in the following maps: Desert of Lost Souls, Forum of Hercules, and Rotunda of Olympus, with more arenas planned for later!

With Trial of the Gods, we wanted to help bridge the single player and multiplayer experience, giving players a chance to work on their skill-set and gain valuable experience points with a friend, before jumping into the competitive arena. Playing Trial of the Gods is also a great way to grind some extra experience between competitive games, test newly acquired weapons and abilities, or even try a new allegiance. Any experience gained in Trial of the Gods will go towards upgrading your Champions across the entire multiplayer experience.

What happens if you don’t have a friend to play co-op with, or you don’t want to team up with a stranger? No worries — you can play Trial of the Gods solo too!

God of War: Ascension – Poseidon

God of the Sea and brother to Zeus, Poseidon’s realm is almost as great as the sky itself, and his power is second only to Zeus because of it. Poseidon grants his loyal sentinels unique support capabilities: a large pool of health, the ability to fortify allies, and command over water and ice.

Unleash freezing attacks to obliterate an enemy’s defense and agility or boost your own team’s elemental defense and health. The wise warrior knows how to control a large area of space and can keep multiple enemies at a distance. For more on aligning with Lord Poseidon, check out his strategic profile in our God section at GodofWar.com.

Finally, if you have yet to pre-order God of War: Ascension, this video may put you over the edge. For the first time ever, King Leonidas will be brought to life in God of War: Ascension Multiplayer as depicted by Gerard Butler in “300”. If you pre-order either the standard or Collector’s Edtion, exclusively at Gamestop, you will receive a voucher to access history’s most heroic Spartan.

Whether you pre-order at Gamestop, or any retailer supporting our programs (such as Best Buy or Amazon), you will also receive our Mythological Heroes Pack. You will adorn the armor of four of the most legendary heroes in Greek Mythology – Perseus, Orion, Odysseus, and Achilles.

Click here to check out the Mythological Heroes gameplay trailer, then pre-order in the final hours you have left to ensure you get this content!

PAGE 1 2

+ pringles4ever on March 6th, 2013 at 9:08 am said:

yes yes yes! i knew it! co-op horde mode!

+ Rumba_Lumba on March 6th, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

Why are you guys only revealing new info less than a week before release? All of these could’ve used more time for circulation. We haven’t even seen the other MP maps (like Troy).

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

On one hand you’re asking why we are revealing new info less than a week before release – well, because its a week before release and we had some significant stones left un-turned that we are ready to share.

On the other, you’re asking to see other MP maps (like Troy)….wait for tomorrow =)

Good to see you Rumba!

-Tank

+ BrianMcGuinness on March 6th, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

I pre-ordered the new red bundle at Best Buy because my ps3 just died last week. Can’t wait to pick it up Tuesday morning. Are there any other goodies in the bundle besides the awesome stuff it already comes with?

+ saskamazon on March 6th, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

the 2 player trials look good …. just 6 days to go …. :-) I preordered from GS – hope they receive more CEs than they thought, since I’m on the list for an upgrade from standard …. will go check the God profiles to see what my best bet is … looks pretty epic !

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 9:21 am said:

Poseidon profile will be up tomorrow, keep checking back. Glad you are stoked, so are we!

-Tank

+ boboMELOSHE on March 6th, 2013 at 9:21 am said:

LOVE IT!!!!!

+ snakeeyes211 on March 6th, 2013 at 9:22 am said:

Awesome This game is going to rock the graphics and the gameplay are already outstanding and with all the modes you guys have added. a great job Santa Monica great job :-)

+ YungShep on March 6th, 2013 at 9:25 am said:

king leonidas is bad-ass!!!! OMG…wasn’t expecting that. TUESDAY IS TAKING WAY TO LONG TO GET HERE!

+ Shadowtroop1 on March 6th, 2013 at 9:25 am said:

Can not wait to play this GOW! Any chance for an team elimination game mode in the future?

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 9:38 am said:

Cool idea, not right now

+ LABARONX on March 6th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

great job…. single player was the main buying point, and i was going to give the competitive multiplayer a whirl but a full on 2 player coop…..GENIUS

+ Gorvi on March 6th, 2013 at 9:31 am said:

I just preordered, I can’t wait. Now I just want an announcement of God of War 4 showing what happens after the end of 3. It’s been almost 3 years since that cliffhanger ending, guys, come on!

+ ps_n_blog_ac on March 6th, 2013 at 9:34 am said:

I can’t wait for this game and to be honest i’m looking forward more into MP (i enjoy MP modes ;) ) Also Poseidon Team seem to be for me :) (i’m into Healing based characters)

Questions

1. There is PS All star DLC with the purchase of GOW:A right? Even collector’s edition?

2. What’s up with the three DLCs on the PSN Store? i downloaded them but nothing occurred? (i understand the game isn’t available yet and i’m just curious about them, it’s not a big issue)

3. Will there be more Gods to side with? *cough* Aphrodite* ;) JK

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 9:39 am said:

1. Yes

2. You answered the question yourself right there buddy, game is not out yet, content won’t work until it is

3. You have (4) Gods to focus on at launch, no further plans as of this time

+ Coody-Baroody on March 6th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

I dont mean to be crass but i dont really care about the multiplaye mode this and that, i want Sony Santa Monica to stop ignoring us fans when we ask if the Single Player will still have 3D support, just like Todd Papy confirmed it WOULD a year ago. Now the 3D logo isnt on the front of the cover like it usually is with all Sony exclusive games with 3D and whenver I or anyone else asks you via Twitter we just get ignored.

Can you PLEASE tell us whether it will still have 3D support and if not, why not?

Whats so hard about that mate?

+ DarkOne_PR on March 6th, 2013 at 9:38 am said:

Have my C.E. Fully paid… Beating the story mode to quickly jump onto this! Santa monica its one of the best devs out there next to naughty dog.

Now…. I Wish Santa Monica to create the PS all Stars MELEE we all wanted for. I mean, PS all stars is a great game and i love it. (Day one here) But its far far faaaar away of the expectations the fans that asked for it for years were expecting. Graphics, Modes, gameplay, characters and story…. all fell short! PlS santa monica…. take it as a good critic so the fans can receive what they deserved.

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 9:40 am said:

God of War: Ascension will not support stereoscopic 3D functionality. It’s implementation was explored but ultimately was not pursued. Thank you for your understanding and your feedback on this matter.

+ RoBo_O_G_2 on March 6th, 2013 at 9:39 am said:

This co-op better be hard! Im a beast at GOW ;)

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

We’ll see what times you record….brother

+ wtGp on March 6th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

Got the collectors edition preordered at GS to get that Leonidas DLC, glad to see he has his own move sets rather than just a skin

+ KidCommando on March 6th, 2013 at 9:44 am said:

Can’t wait! Like I needed any more reasons to purchase Ascension. This is looking like one of the best overall packages in gaming for $60.

Epic Single Player
Brutal Multiplayer
Chaotic Co-Op
Free All-Stars DLC
Demo for Last of Us

Yeah, I’m ready!

+ saskamazon on March 6th, 2013 at 9:45 am said:

I would recommend going to the GOW site … you can do the Rise of the Warrior challenges to get additional DLC … I have just completed ch. 1 & will try & get through it all – I really want the MP XP boost, in case I don’t get the CE …. will keep checking it …. didn’t yet find the God profiles (too busy with the challenge) but will check back & see what new info pops … I remember that for + members who played the demos, there was some exclusive DLC mentioned – looking fwd. to that ….

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 10:01 am said:

This is a wise man right here

+ mikey_day on March 6th, 2013 at 9:45 am said:

The co-op mode just put a stamp on the greatness of this title. Cannot wait for Tuesday.

+ Coody-Baroody on March 6th, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

@ Aaron Kaufman

THANK YOU for FINALLY confirming it. Its TERRIBLE news but at least I and we know now for sure finally.
Why oh why didnt it get pursued? If there was EVER a game that is crying out for 3D support its a current gen God Of War!

Now im just waiting if my joint favourite series (with Uncharted) is going to disappoint me twice by including horrible grindy Multiplayer trophies.

Please make me 1/2 not 2/2?????

+ SmokeAdellic on March 6th, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

@12
I think its very unprofessional and somewhat childish how they have not responded to any customers asking the question of 3D support and for that reason I am boycotting the game…..honestly if they would have just answered us on it like a normal developer I would have bought the game.

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 10:05 am said:

See above where I did answer and also the FAQ on our website. I sincerely hope this resolves you. We don’t always have the answers at the exact time people want them, but as for “coming clean”, you have your honest answer above. Thanks

+ Zacky-V-A7X on March 6th, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

Awesome stuff!! can’t wait to get my hands on the best hack and slash of this generation!!

+ DarkFist_Flames on March 6th, 2013 at 9:51 am said:

is there going to be future content for co-op mode?, love this mode more than the vs mode.

+ DarkOne_PR on March 6th, 2013 at 9:52 am said:

MMMmmmmm aaron… I didnt asked about 3d…. heheh…. but i would really like an answer to my comment anyways…. :)

+ saskamazon on March 6th, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

@ SmokeAdellic – Aaron did answer the question …. comment 13 …. I have a 3D tv, but missing out on this epic game with MP just b/c the 3D didn’t work out is crazy … your loss. this is going to be fantastic. I’m going to try & get a 4 player team that plays ongoingly & get out there & kick butt ! I am escited about the MP in this game … not sure why soo many complain … if you dislike MP, just do the SP campaign …

+ ps_n_blog_ac on March 6th, 2013 at 9:56 am said:

@20 boycotting… really -_- man everyone is boycotting every video game these days… i understand that people might want something important out of their game but without understanding the developers and in their situation (for any reason) Boycotting isn’t necessary…

Note: This comment wasn’t to insult you or create a Long argument over the internet…

+ blakseed on March 6th, 2013 at 10:00 am said:

It’s almost here…

+ neokid832 on March 6th, 2013 at 10:02 am said:

@20
Who cares if they said they it had 3D or not. 3D is not where the furture of TV’s or gaming is going and is not really all that impressive. What is impressive on the other hand is how awesome this game is going to be.

+ Shungin on March 6th, 2013 at 10:04 am said:

will we be able to pre-order on psn/digital download because my ps3 blu ray drive went out so now I just download all my games or if digital download is not available now will it be available later on for download

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

We do not have a pre-order program available for digital download. We will have digital download information forthcoming soon however.

+ SmokeAdellic on March 6th, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

@24
Wow its took them months to finally respond…that’s great customer relations!
@ Everyone who thinks boycotting is a problem..if you stay in acceptance of disappointment you will continue to be disappointed.
VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET!!

+ cosmis_chaos on March 6th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

You guy have horde mode multiplayer co-op? Okay now you guys are just spoiling us.

+ SmokeAdellic on March 6th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

@27
That’s an opinion because I actually very much so enjoy 3D gaming and according to sony ps4s main focus will not be 3D but they did say ps4 will do 3D better.

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 10:19 am said:

We’ve spent 3+ years developing Ascension. We take our time and make the game design decisions that ensure we hit the highest quality bar possible, that we always aim to achieve with every God of War game.

Cya on the battlefield

+ xX-BlackHeron-Xx on March 6th, 2013 at 10:13 am said:

Please, tell me that the game will be available as digital download next week.

+ TheGuardianFID on March 6th, 2013 at 10:22 am said:

I have the CE of the game pre-ordered, this is just bonus, great job guys! :)

+ SmokeAdellic on March 6th, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

@Aaron Kaufman
You said that you don’t always have the answers at times people want them is not an excuse to ignore customers…you could have said that and it would be better than no answer.

+ fester420 on March 6th, 2013 at 10:39 am said:

I have to say I am very disappointed you did not implement 3d in this game. Please consider a patch.

+ Mr-Optimism on March 6th, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

GoW is an awesome series and I’ve played the games from my PS2 through my psp and PS3 but my excitement for this game rivals all of the previous. Multiplayer has been a very fun addition. Can’t wait to co-op.

+ GrayFox-N312- on March 6th, 2013 at 10:49 am said:

@Aaron Kaufman Could you please find out if this game can software upscale to 1080p? My plasma tv doesn’t handle 720p very well since it blurs the image slightly. Also, will i be able to install this game on my ps3 or is it streaming off the disk like god of war 3? In some parts of the ascension demos the textures would take like 10 seconds to load, so this would benefit greatly by having an install option, is it available? Thanks aaron.

+ zombie9 on March 6th, 2013 at 10:55 am said:

I didn’t care much for the MP beta. The single player demo was very good though. I wasn’t even going to buy it until I saw single player. But any way I just mad this doesn’t take place after GOW 3 it’s going to be another 2-3 years before we find out what happened to Kratos.

+ saskamazon on March 6th, 2013 at 10:55 am said:

thanks Aarom re: comment 17 reply – just for clarification – I will likely be in the minority as a female warrior on the battlefield … not sure how many women are fans, but I like the mythology aspect …. I intend to be a bad asss on the field of battle ! *here’s to hoping* I wonder if it might be wise to compose the 4 player team with 1 member aligned to each of the gods to maximize strategy …. going to be tough to get the best possible team going … I’ll do the regular matches, but want to form an ongoing elite squad to really get the fun going …. fun fun … really had a blast with the demos … the graphics are stunning – I was actaully physically moving around trying to beat some of it ….

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

YOU are a legend, go forth and conquer, decimate them all!

+ ToxaCIassico on March 6th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

@Aaron Kaufman I would also like to know what grayfox mentioned, will we be able to install the game, and is it able to be played upscaled to 1080p.

+ punkmusic2009 on March 6th, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

the spend 50.00 get 10.00 deal dose that include plus discount as whele

+ Dark_Yoda_313 on March 6th, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

Glad to see there will at least be a downloadable version. i LOVE the GoW franchise, but I am so done with discs now that I just don’t buy that format any more.

Can you confirm if it will be a day one download? Would hate to miss out on the first wave of multiplayer awesomeness.

+ NYPUNK88 on March 6th, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

SMS needs to do an MMO/RPG game, they would kill it! The game looks awesome, can’t wait to play it. :D Thank you Sony & SMS!

+ Chi-TownMike589 on March 6th, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

Never been this stoked for a game since Arkham City! Was patiently waiting for info on the next god! Any idea when info for Hades will be released? Im still picking Ares so far!

+ guitarprodigy93 on March 6th, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

Any chance there will be same screen co-op? Would really love that!

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

Unfortunately, there is no local co-op support. We explored this, but ultimately determined not to pursue further. Thanks for understanding. All MP modes are online only.

+ elpsydominator on March 6th, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

hi, will we get a god of war sale like eu?

+ jajai on March 6th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

Are there going to be any midnight opening parties in the SF bay area? Like the one for God of War II at the Metreon.

+ Aaron Kaufman on March 6th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

We are looking into a Midnight Launch with our team down here in Santa Monica, but many Gamestop stores are likely to be open Midnight, we’ll get a list.

+ JonButler on March 6th, 2013 at 12:02 pm said:

Really can’t wati till launch. I’m new to the GOW series, but have played the game over family house and demos. I pre-oreded the CE and like GOW this will also be my first CE gane. Also picking up the saga edition today so right after I’m down with the SP to Ascenions I can start right away on the others. Anyone know the chronological order

+ Like4ONinjaz on March 6th, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

Is there going to be local co-op? PLEASE say yes….

+ siegfried07 on March 6th, 2013 at 12:22 pm said: