The Last Guardian

Mar 07

PSN Top 20

February 2013 PSN Top Sellers: Journey Treks Back to Number 1

Cade Peterson's Avatar Posted by Cade Peterson on Mar 07, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

We’re back with February 2013’s North American Top Sellers (see the EU charts here). Journey had a reprise last month after some spectacular games usurping the #1 spot in January. Smack in the middle of basketball season, NBA 2K13 slides in at #2, and anime fans have stepped forward in support of the popular Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels Plus card trading game.

Other interesting items hitting the lists include the original Mass Effect, as well as Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time sneaking into a couple lists in his newest adventure. Battle fans keep on rocking with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, enjoying the new levels and characters that are released. Among the classics, Final Fantasy swept, owning the PS1 Classics and PSP categories. Finally, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim DLC all landed neatly in the top lists for last month, satiating fans eagerly awaiting their arrival.

PSN Top Sellers

I’ll leave you with that, and get back to my Dawnguard DLC. Remember, if you’re not on your PS3 or PS Vita, don’t forget to check out these games and more via the new web portal to the PlayStation Store — purchase, watch videos and learn more, from the convenience of your favorite web browser.

How will March do? I’ll see you next month with all the details.

PAGE 1 2

+ homeboy79 on March 7th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

Am I the only one who thinks it’s funny (but, sadly, not surprising) to see Call of Duty: Black Ops II – Revolution at the top of the PS3 DLC list for the month of February when the DLC didn’t come out until the last day of the month?

Cade Peterson's Avatar

+ Cade Peterson on March 7th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

Hey homeboy, that’s a good point, and it clearly illustrates how much people love their Call of Duty!

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on March 7th, 2013 at 10:55 am said:

Nice to see PSASBR still doing well in both PS3/Vita categories & now DLC as well. Can’t wait for march 19.

Congrats to Journey again, but i’m always gonna like Flower the best.

I still remember Greg Miller saying PSN games should just be seen as full PS3 games. Agreed.

+ UnholyBahamut on March 7th, 2013 at 11:02 am said:

Lol you gotta love “Top 5 PS1 Classics” ONLY Final Fantasy games :D

+ DarkOne_PR on March 7th, 2013 at 11:17 am said:

Sony/SE u better give me that freaking FF7 remake for the ps4 with all the money u had made with all these ps1 classics sold! For the love of God FF7 has been top 1 since i can remember only getting number 2 ion certain moments like legend of dragoon…. (WHICH I WOULD LOVE A SEQUEL FOR PS4 THANK U VERY MUCH!)
This gen of PS has been the worst gen for awesome JRPGs like in the ps1 era…. go back to ur roots and see success!

+ DEAD_RIKIMARU on March 7th, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

“Tenchu Stealth Assassins
Tenchu 2 Birth of the Stealth Assassins
Tenchu Wrath of Heaven
Tenchu Fatal Shadows
Put these on the store PLEASE!!!”

I second that.

+ Genexi2 on March 7th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

With all the Vita PSN sales happening for the anniversary, any chance of a top-20 for it when the March top sellers gets posted in a few weeks?

Been buying a lot of titles for it lately. My poor 32gb stick barely able to hold it all.

+ RE_Player on March 7th, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

I wish the Vita top 10 list was actually the top 10 on the Vita PSN Store. It’s been the same since late last year.

+ Krysta91 on March 7th, 2013 at 11:53 am said:

Journey-one of the greatest games ever. I have played through that game countless times and the music and landscape is just so beautiful i don’t know when or even if i’ll ever stop playing it :)

Cade Peterson's Avatar

+ Cade Peterson on March 7th, 2013 at 4:01 pm said:

I might be known to shed a tear at the end, every single time. But don’t tell anyone I said that. ;-)

+ lisatsunami on March 7th, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

@Krysta91 Judging by everything–reviews, sales, awards, playing the game–the vast majority feel as we do about Journey. For those who don’t, that says more about them than the game. I’m betting that if they play the game a few years down the road, when they’ve had a wider variety of life experiences, when they’ve lost loved ones or had tragic things happen to them, they’ll see it differently. But of course there will be a minority who can never get it. That’s OK. Gaming is for everyone but no single game is. Only Playstation makes such a wide, deep library of games for all of us.

+ MarcusGearsofWar on March 7th, 2013 at 12:22 pm said:

This maybe give ideas to square enix to invest more on the PS store put more tittles and more sales

+ BlueBl1zzard on March 7th, 2013 at 12:27 pm said:

Wow nice list. I feel march is anyone’s game especially with all this PS plus/vita sale goodness. Hopefully they continue this anniversary sale next week as well, I’m really hoping DJ Max technicka tune gets a discount. Pretty please?

+ ossiecastro5 on March 7th, 2013 at 12:53 pm said:

I’m glad that Playstation AllStars is still up there. It is a very great game and should be more noticed.

I’m not suprised that Ni No Kuni is still up there. It took me 90 hours to complete the game to its fullest. 90 hours well spent. :)

I’m also glad that Yu Gi Oh is up there very high. It’s the first Yu Gi Oh game in the store. But, the online multiplayer is broken. It is very difficult to get an online match. And when you do, bad connectivity. I hope a patch or an update can fix this. But other than that, I love it.

+ LordKaiser00 on March 7th, 2013 at 1:02 pm said:

Final Fantasy on the charts let me think what would happen if the PSP games get HD releases on PS3.

+ kassatsu on March 7th, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

PlayStation Mobile…?

+ Satnamji on March 7th, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

Glad to see Mass Effect holding on in the top 10, without any special discounts. At $15, it’s a great value for a quality game that takes 30-40 hours to do everything in it and that offers a lot of re-playability.

I almost feel sorry for people in EU who got Mass Effect 3 for free this month and are playing it without playing ME1 and ME2 first. I understand some of the main characters you encounter throughout ME1/2 aren’t even in it if you don’t import a save file. How depressing. :(

+ Kaddyshacks on March 7th, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

Dang, look at all those Final Fantasy games selling well, even now. You listening Square-Enix??

+ purse317 on March 7th, 2013 at 2:35 pm said:

Will Dead Space 3 see a price drop digitally like we’ve seen from other retailers. I’d love to buy it on psn but its still $60 meanwhile I can buy it just about anywhere else for $40.

In fact why are psn prices so slow to fall even when retailers drop theirs

+ The_Dukenator on March 7th, 2013 at 3:13 pm said:

@51 Probably not for a long time.

We had users complain about high prices on Xbox Live.

+ PainOfSarrow on March 7th, 2013 at 3:21 pm said:

lisatsunami , i lost loved ones and im 25 with manyyyy life experiences. nopeee still dont feel any Emotional connection to this game. i guess il never.. get it.

+ beef_child on March 7th, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

How does the Walking Dead download works. Purchased the season pass, but I’m only getting a theme? Do I get the game within the theme. I had the first 2 episodes from PS+ a few months ago…

Cade Peterson's Avatar

+ Cade Peterson on March 7th, 2013 at 4:07 pm said:

You boot up the game (episode 1), and from within the menus, if you own the Season Pass, you can download the rest of the episodes. It stays contained within the single package, and extends the game similar to DLC. Note: Not all Telltale Games are like that, but Walking Dead is.

+ Satnamji on March 7th, 2013 at 3:57 pm said:

@54: Start The Walking Dead game as you did to play the first two episodes. In the in-game menus look for “Download Content” or something to that effect. When you click on it, you will be taken to a page in the store where you can select which episodes you haven’t downloaded yet to download.

It’s somewhat different and confusing from how these multi-episode games are usually set up.

+ beef_child on March 7th, 2013 at 4:12 pm said:

Thanks Cade & Satnamji, will do that. Hope I get a chance tonight…

+ jayrabbit on March 7th, 2013 at 5:22 pm said:

Journey has been propped up by discounts, if you left it alone it wouldnt be on this list, same with alot of content actually

And thanks for reminding me about dawngaurd, I had it in my cart the day before the update and got distracted never actually checking out… so I missed out on the deal :…(

+ zzamaro on March 7th, 2013 at 6:21 pm said:

Yugioh on the top proves that playstation owners have wanted one. Now if we could get one for the Vita.

+ Ravenous74 on March 7th, 2013 at 7:46 pm said:

Lots of great games on there but the best by far is the Skyrim DLC. I sooo cannot wait to play the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout game on the PS4, Skyrim on the PS3 is awesome but just imagine how more the PS4 will do *drools* …the launch can’t come soon enough for me, my PS4 funds are getting bigger :)

+ GaMeR_bOi_83 on March 7th, 2013 at 8:59 pm said:

I’m sorry I played Journey and found it extremely boring. I love games that think out side the box and have different gameplay and all. But Journey was for me a waste of time and money. Does it deserve all the awards? Yes, yes it does. I happy to see a game with no guns, no violence and no voice chat made a huge impact in the gaming industry. Happy to see Sly is getting some love on PS3 and Vita. And FF will always rule the PS1 classics.

+ The_Dukenator on March 7th, 2013 at 10:13 pm said:

@60 Boring? Its one of those game where random players join to help you. Collecting all the glyphs and finding all symbols helps.

+ Benzitor on March 8th, 2013 at 12:21 am said:

With Final Fantasy numbers like this i still wonder why Square Enix is still reluctant to release FF7 Crisis core on PSN. And why the localisation of the amazing FFtype 0 is still a no go …

What the hell are they thinking. Playstation players are in love with FF, so why still neglecting them this way.

+ Zevrou on March 8th, 2013 at 3:50 am said:

dem final fantasy

+ Metalsonic_69 on March 8th, 2013 at 4:09 am said:

Interesting how all the PSone Classics are FF games and all the PStwo classics are Rockstar games.

+ Nevi901 on March 8th, 2013 at 5:32 pm said:

Crash & Spyro for Vita when?

+ GMFCO311 on March 9th, 2013 at 12:34 am said:

I liked it better when they had PS3 & PSN categories listed separately!!

+ Nomad-PhX on March 7th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

At best buy there are 32gig playstation vits memory card for $74.99, dont miss out!

+ johnnyp70 on March 7th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

The EU blog puts the last month’s ranking in parenthesis, perhaps NA could do the same? I just find it interesting.

+ johnnyp70 on March 7th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

Rockstar owns PS2! Nice.

+ MoonLance on March 7th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

Look at Final Fantasy dominating the PS1 Classics list!

As a Tecmo KOEI fan, I’m glad to see Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires and One Piece Pirate Warriors on the top list~

+ SweetReLeaf on March 7th, 2013 at 8:12 am said:

Darn, i hope One Piece goes back on sale again. Missed out on the one that just happened..

+ The_Dukenator on March 7th, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

I was expecing Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time PS Vita to be number 1, but you can get it free provided you buy PS3 version first. Good game otherwise.

We do get The Cave added to Plus this month, so that might a good game to try out.

Journey was going to return to the top spot anyway. What other game has random players joining you and not telling who they are until the credits?

Cade Peterson's Avatar

+ Cade Peterson on March 7th, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

PS Plus does have a significant impact on these lists, and it goes to show how much value people really get out of being a member.

+ RE_Player on March 7th, 2013 at 8:16 am said:

So Square owns the PS1 charts and Rockstar owns the PS2. Fitting since they dominated in those respective generations.

+ saskamazon on March 7th, 2013 at 8:19 am said:

should do another run through Journey … now that I have the headset – the better audio would really add to the experience … besides, I only have 28% of the trophies after 2 full playthroughs … great game. really appreciated Sly on the Vita & the flawless transfer via the cloud – great feature ! wonder what week 3 on the Anniversary sale will bring ….

+ remanutd5 on March 7th, 2013 at 8:20 am said:

Yea I was expecting Sly Cooper Thieves in Time vita to be number 1, game is amazing, console gaming on the go. love it, hopefully Sanzaru started working on a new psvita game already, hint “Heavenly Sword” or how about “MediEvil”. Anyways I totally recommend sly Cooper to all vita players.

+ rkrasouski on March 7th, 2013 at 8:26 am said:

Will GOW : A be released at Psn at day one?

+ Undrey on March 7th, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

Great to see Sly on both PS3 and Vita charts.

Cade Peterson's Avatar

+ Cade Peterson on March 7th, 2013 at 10:48 am said:

…said the man with a Bentley avatar! I think Sly deserves it. The game is not only gorgeous (level design is phenomenal in my mind), but genuinely fun with a great story.

+ naDOOFUS on March 7th, 2013 at 8:46 am said:

Maybe think about adding PS Mobile titles to the monthly list.

+ TwinDad on March 7th, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

Good heads up. I’m personally waiting for the 50% off sale, even then it’s still far to high of a price. I can get a 30MB/sec 32 GB SD card for $20. They sell the Vita 4mb/sec 32GB card for $100. I see a massive problem.

Ni No Kuni at #11. Incredible game.

Do I not remember correctly or have they combined the PSN and the “Full games” into one category?

+ XtemmA2 on March 7th, 2013 at 9:08 am said:

@#13 agreed.

+ PainOfSarrow on March 7th, 2013 at 9:08 am said:

Soo sickk of seing Journey number 1 on every list. such an Over Rated game its sad. … veryyyy nice to see ROCKSTAR games taking every spot on the ps2 Classics. greattt games

Cade Peterson's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on March 7th, 2013 at 9:33 am said:

I actually just had a discussion with a friend about this. He only just played through Journey, and he said he liked Flower better. I’ve talked to plenty of others who call Journey one of their favorite games though — I’m in that camp myself, and apparently lots of others are too, hence the numerous awards the game’s won. To each his own!

+ boomstickbhg on March 7th, 2013 at 9:10 am said:

I like these lists.

But can you please seperate PSN games from full PS3 games, not interested in looking over 20 items from both categories at once.

+ dinkin-flicka on March 7th, 2013 at 9:12 am said:

I bought Journey because of the Award sale but Ni no Kuni is still my favorite on that list.

+ erapago on March 7th, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

Well, I’ll just take the time to remind you guys (for the second time) that the Vita Store’s top 10 list hasn’t been updated since October.

Cade Peterson's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on March 7th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

Cade Peterson's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on March 7th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

Good catch, I’ll see who to bug about fixing that. Thanks!

PAGE 1 2