PS4 - Transistor

Sound Shapes Update Adds New Free Features, New DLC Too!

Mark Rabo's Avatar + Posted by Mark Rabo on Mar 12, 2013 // Sound Shapes Team

Hey everyone! We’ve been working hard on our next update (our biggest one yet!) and it’s finally ready. With new levels, vehicles, creator content, offline play, and more musical/visual goodies than we can list, there’s something for everyone here. Hope you like it!

Car Mini-Album & Creator Pack ($1.99)

Put on your driving gloves, there’s a new vehicle in Sound Shapes and it changes everything! Speed, flip, loop, and jump your way through the levels and experience Sound Shapes like never before. We set out to make a platformer and created a trials game by accident. Yeah!

This pack includes new Campaign levels, a full Sound Pack, brand new editor entities (like loop-de-loops, speed boosts, and more), Beat School lessons, and trophies too.

The Community Milkcrate & Six New Albums (free update)

Perfectly sized to fit a record, the trusty milkcrate has been holding music collections for a long time and with the Community Milkcrate we’re continuing that tradition. We’ve hand-picked eclectic and creative levels from the Community and arranged them into themed albums. Each is presented in a brand new interface and comes complete with liner notes with insights and interesting things to check out while playing them, kinda like a director’s commentary for levels. We’re so blown away by what you guys are making that we wanted a way to properly showcase it. Oh… and the Milkcrate albums become part of the game so any levels selected are baked right into Sound Shapes.

The Milkcrate launches with six albums and 35 total levels and is included free in today’s patch update.

Offline Play (free update)

You’ve been asking for it and it’s finally here. Sounds Shapes now has Offline Play. While connected to the Sound Shapes servers, select any community level, tap a button, and sync it. Now you can play your favorite levels whenever you want! (Offline Play is included free in today’s patch update as well).

PAGE 1 2

+ Stargazr64 on March 12th, 2013 at 10:03 am said:

Nice update, guys.

+ DocEggman on March 12th, 2013 at 10:07 am said:

I am so glad this game got its much needed update. I will be downloading my favorite online user generated levels and I look forward to this compilation of albums. Also, that DLC looks fun!

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

The Car Pack is a ton of fun, looking forward to seeing what the Community does with it.

+ Deku1 on March 12th, 2013 at 10:10 am said:

Looks wonderful! Can’t wait for tonight’s update….

+ ryman222 on March 12th, 2013 at 10:11 am said:

Nice update! Super pumped about the addition of vehicles and who doesn’t love em some trophies?! LEGIT

Anyone know the patch size?

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

~180MB

+ vanwinkle on March 12th, 2013 at 10:11 am said:

Oh man, this is awesome guys. I’m excited to see what people make with this.

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

Us too!

+ Gorvi on March 12th, 2013 at 10:13 am said:

Well, now I know what I’ll be playing tonight. This is awesome. :)

+ xCHeF- on March 12th, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

When is this patch going live?

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

The update is live now. The DLC is rolling across the servers so everyone will have it by the end of the day.

+ dh4645 on March 12th, 2013 at 10:18 am said:

well crap…i might have deleted the game. guess i’ll re-download tonight. i have my save in the cloud on the servers & ps+ so i’ll just restore that i guess.

+ Zevrou on March 12th, 2013 at 10:20 am said:

I’m so buying it, the game is awesome. Thanks for the support guys :D

+ nikornflakes on March 12th, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

i have to finish death mode first! man that mode makes me want to throw my vita lol

great update by the way! downloading levels is win

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

Offline play is super important, we’re happy we could finally get it in there.

+ kivi95 on March 12th, 2013 at 10:24 am said:

Awesome update! Will be sure to pick up the DLC.

+ Zionine on March 12th, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

exciting!

+ Nates4Christ on March 12th, 2013 at 10:31 am said:

Now this is some awesome dlc I can get behind.

+ Wozman23 on March 12th, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

Once again, this looks to blow away my expectations. Can’t wait for more new albums!

+ Xcaligamer1 on March 12th, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

def redownloading this tonight. can get uber creative thinking up stuff w car pack. question though. if we delete levels that we have saved offline, will they still be available on the server or no? only had 10 out of 20 slots left in the levelcreator last i checked…

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

Any level you’ve published to the Community can always be re-downloaded (even if you’ve removed it locally afterwards). If you haven’t published it though, deleting totally deletes it. So if you want to make space publish the levels first.

+ SKeRJ on March 12th, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

So bought, and that volcano kind of looks like Murray from the Dio album covers. Was that intentional!?

+ StevenBezarius on March 12th, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

I just Cant be more happy of buying this game, It’s just to amazing, its nice knowing you are keeping it alive! :D

Looking forward for that DLC, I just got tons of ideas just seeing the video *-*

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Be sure to let us know when you post your levels!

+ mc_issa on March 12th, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

first time i played this game i was realy captivated, i hope new campagnes like this will keep it always alive, tnx gays for bringing colors and soundz 2 my grey world
sound shaps2?? :D
is it possible?

+ TheExiled12894 on March 12th, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

wow, can’t wait for this to go live

+ FJ1100_rider on March 12th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

this is great but I’m going to have to delete something again just to patch a game , I sure wish they made a vita memory card that was 64 gigs or even 128 gigs . 32 gigs is too small and it sucks to change memory cards out to get more space and have the file system get reset every time .

+ FJ1100_rider on March 12th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

forgot to put in y last post that the update is not live as of now , I just checked not 1 minute ago

+ Xcaligamer1 on March 12th, 2013 at 11:11 am said:

@mark thanks for the reply, helps out a lot

+ PainOfSarrow on March 12th, 2013 at 11:17 am said:

Amazing update to An Amazing gameeee. so i can Play any Community Level without Internet Connection ? if so then thats Something Muchhh needed and Appreciated since my internet connection sometimes goes out. also only 1.99 for all that ? plus Free content. ? Excellenttt. the Driving Car Feature looks sweeet as hellllll. cant wait to try These out Later Today once the store updates. this game is Gangstaa aha 10/10 from me. keep up the good work.

+ kivi95 on March 12th, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

When is the update releasing in EU?

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

Yeah, we mentioned it on Twitter but for folks not there.
    The update goes live in Europe on Wednesday and Japan + rest of the world on Thursday.

+ kivi95 on March 12th, 2013 at 11:25 am said:

Nevermind just saw the tweet on twitter.

+ neokid832 on March 12th, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

Do I need to buy the car pack dlc inorder to play an online level that was created using the car pack dlc?

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

Nope. You just need the free update and you can play any content created by anyone.

+ ItaChu on March 12th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

Nice update man thnx :) i hope it continues to get new content i like this game a lot

+ gaara_uchiha90 on March 12th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

Aw man amazing. Are there any new trophies with this new pack?I JUST finished sound shapes last night and got the platinum. Soooo much fun was had. This is amazing that I now have more content to explore (though one can never run out of content with a community like ours). Thanks a ton!

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

Whoa! Good on that platinum. The new DLC includes 5 silver.

+ MyrequeArk on March 12th, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

This game is amazing, just logged in to say that. You got my money on that DLC. VEHICLES, AMAZING.

+ DasRequiem on March 12th, 2013 at 12:03 pm said:

This is so awesome! I’m so going to get this dlc.
this is one of thos awesome games to which you keep going back to play. I’m glad they picked they will also add new albums with the best of the comunity. Great idea!

+ jhaasl on March 12th, 2013 at 12:20 pm said:

Yes! I knew this was coming from reading this weeks ago on /r/vita, can’t believe it’s here! The car pack sounds so fun, can’t wait to see how different/cool the gameplay get’s changed.

Makes me wonder what other variations on this game the developers are going to add. Still, can’t wait to get home to update!

+ Robbie_G_lrish on March 12th, 2013 at 12:27 pm said:

This game is flat out brilliant. It’s really not to be missed and I will be buying any DLC that you guys put out for it. Thanks!

+ Hogwild333 on March 12th, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

Thanks for all the updates that you’ve been putting out for this game. I’m glad you have gathered the best 35 user made levels for us to play. I am overwhelmed when games have UGC so I often times don’t play many user made levels. I will definitely be firing it back up tonight.

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 2:06 pm said:

That’s totally why we wanted to highlight it. A good place to find creators to follow in-game and see who they’re playing.

+ CullenX on March 12th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

I love all that y’all do and I am ABSOLUTELY going to pick up this DLC for just $1.99. This is so much content for such a small price. (Some other companies should take notice of this value.) Love Jonathan Mak and The Sound Shapes Team! Keep it up.

+ MhsVita on March 12th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

I’ve been playing sound shapes for a while but i didn’t get any trophies ,even that i have unlocked the challenges ,when i go to check in the trophies it show 0 trophies ( just in sound shapes ) ,is this happened to anyone else or is it just me .

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 2:07 pm said:

Most are in Death Mode and Beat School which you unlock after finishing the Campaign.

+ Macello on March 12th, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

Did any of the previous add-on packs include new levels?

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 2:38 pm said:

This is the first one with new levels we’ve made.

+ evancory on March 12th, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

This sounds great!
Can’t wait to play it!

+ duke301 on March 12th, 2013 at 12:58 pm said:

This is way cool! I was hoping for some new campaign levels as I’d finished the existing ones in one evening. If you guys are taking suggestions, how about some campaign levels set to the music of Led Zeppelin – now that would be cool!

+ plaztiksyke on March 12th, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

Having well-supported content is one of the reasons I love the Vita. Keeping us coming back to Sound Shapes, Frobisher Says, and others with free/low-cost updates is awesome. This is the way to demonstrate $15+ worth of value in downloadable titles. (Even though releasing Patapon 3 as a low-res emulated title for $20 confuses that value proposition.)

I just wish more of the AR Games would get patched to support trophies.

+ FJ1100_rider on March 12th, 2013 at 1:12 pm said:

@34 , try deleting and reinstalling he game and make sure you’re signed into psn to check verify the trophies and synch them

+ Garigandeljey on March 12th, 2013 at 2:08 pm said:

Fantastic news. I will be picking up the dlc. If anyone is interested in the music I made in the game I have 11 levels for your playing pleasure. Making levels at 75 BPM is where it’s at. One day I hope to see a mode in Sound Shapes that allows the creation of actual songs, standalone from the other great features of the game.

+ SpooNManX on March 12th, 2013 at 3:02 pm said:

So the free update is just a collection of already released user generated levels?

I think a lot of people believe the free update contains new music and trophies.

Thanks for NOT releasing more Death Mode levels! Those nearly drove me insane :P

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 6:05 pm said:

The update is the Milkcrate with the albums of community levels, the offline play and some stuff happening in the background where we can add more albums in the future. The biggest thing is it surfaces the best content and shows who to follow to find the best of the 19K levels.

+ LeFabuleuxDeux on March 12th, 2013 at 3:08 pm said:

Thanks for the update! One of my biggest complaints about Sound Shapes was the brevity of the experience; now you’ve basically doubled the game size!

+ BlaqMagiq24 on March 12th, 2013 at 3:22 pm said:

Thanks for the DLC guys. This was one of my favorite games out of last year and glad to see more support for it.

With that said I gotta ask does the new patch properly sync my trophies that I earned from the previous DLC on the Vita to the PS3? I completed the Beat School DLC and got the silver trophies on my Vita but when I went to sync it to PS3 it shows up as completed on PS3 but I didn’t earn my silver trophies on there. I said this on the Sound Shapes forum and someone replied they would look into it but I’m not sure if it was addressed. Can you tell if it was at least looked into if not?

In the meantime I’ll be enjoying this DLC. Thanks again guys.

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 6:07 pm said:

There are some fixes in the update but not sure if that was specifically one of them.

+ JonJonXD on March 12th, 2013 at 4:00 pm said:

I’m very excited to check this out on my Vita.

I’m all about new campaign levels!

+ tusunami on March 12th, 2013 at 4:00 pm said:

This is 1 of the best games for the PS Vita, excellent dlc support as well. You guys inspired me to go to school for Game & Art Design at AIP!!!!

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 6:09 pm said:

Wow, that’s incredible. We’re honored to have inspired you that much. Good luck in your studies!

+ RulitoCR on March 12th, 2013 at 4:15 pm said:

I’m just starting but I think that this is great!!

+ PrimeroIncognito on March 12th, 2013 at 4:45 pm said:

Problem with the new DLC…

I just beat all 5 of the brand new Beat School levels and after I exited the game and synced the trophies, my Sound Shapes completion shows 110%. When I try to open up the Sound Shapes trophy list, it says “An error has occured”, and switches to offline mode, which then shows Sound Shapes completion at 84%.

I looked at my public trophy profile webpage and it has the same problem… showing 110% completion with the blue bar extending past the little box it’s inside of.

I just hope this doesn’t glitch up anything else with the game, and I can see there are 10 more Beat School levels added to the offline trophy list. Are those coming in a future update, or are they available now and I just wasn’t able to access them because of a glitch?

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 6:11 pm said:

Making a note of that, thanks.

+ PrimeroIncognito on March 12th, 2013 at 5:03 pm said:

By the way, it wouldn’t hurt to add more Death Mode levels in the future. I hope you guys have plans for more. Those were actually the most fun for me.

+ Mark Rabo on March 12th, 2013 at 6:11 pm said:

Love. Hate. Love. Hate. Love. Hate. #deathmode

+ xCHeF- on March 12th, 2013 at 5:05 pm said:

I got both the PS Vita and the PS3 version platinum! Really loved the game!

PAGE 1 2