PS4 - Destiny

Divekick: The Fighting Community Phenomenon Comes to PSN

Adam + Posted by Adam "Keits" Heart on Mar 25, 2013 // Creator, Divekick

Divekick on PSN

Divekick began as a late night joke. I asked aloud to my friend Stephen, “What if there was a game called Divekick, and the characters were Dive and Kick, and the buttons were Dive and Kick?” He shot up and proudly announced to me that he could make such a game, and by morning we had a design document and we were ready to start. I didn’t know it when I made the joke, but Stephen apparently knows enough to code a game!

As we developed the prototype, it became clear that this game was a great tool to clearly explain how deep a single move can really be, and that the high-stress, high-tension gameplay was keeping our test groups hooked. We couldn’t get rid of them! We would invite a test group in for a four-hour session, and after fourteen hours they’d still be there laughing and raging at each other.

I’m so excited to finally show what we’ve been working on to the public. You just really have to try it for yourself to understand what it is all about! We’ve been playing it every day in serious competition in the Iron Galaxy office after lunch for six months now. As our players’ skill increases, and the number of mistakes they make goes down, the thing I love most about Divekick really shows: The game is purely about outsmarting someone and enforcing your will upon them. This skill is core to the fighting genre, but because we’ve peeled away the execution and memorization barriers that bog down other fighting titles, a huge number of players in the office have become very skilled and very threatening.

So how does it work? Gameplay is simple, and there are quite a few things going on that strategic players will want to be aware of. You have just two buttons. Dive (into the air) makes you jump straight up. The Kick button causes you to fly foot first at a downward angle. If you press Kick on the ground, you can jump away from your opponent. The first hit wins the round, and the player that wins five rounds first wins the game. It’s pure adrenaline, awareness, and outsmarting your enemy.

Divekick on PS3

Divekick on PS3Divekick on PS3

As you attack, you’ll fill your Kick meter. (Every fighting game needs a meter, right?) If you top it off, you’ll enter “Kick Factor” and become much faster than before. Don’t get hit in the head, however, because if you do you’ll be given a concussion. Concussed players lose their entire Kick meter and move much slower at the start of the next round. Each character also has two unique techniques: One can be performed on the ground and one in the air. You perform these by building enough Kick Meter and pressing both buttons at the same time. If time runs out, the player who can hold his position closest to the center of the stage will win the round by decision.

Thanks for reading about our crazy fighting game. We have plenty more stuff that we’ll reveal closer the PSN launch this Summer. We hope you’ll gather up your friends and give it a go!

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on March 25th, 2013 at 7:05 pm said:

I’m so stoked for this game! & Way of the Dogg, of course.

LOL at 0:44

+ cool_trainer on March 25th, 2013 at 7:21 pm said:

GOTY 2013
Can’t wait for it.

+ tusunami on March 25th, 2013 at 7:23 pm said:

I’m not sure what to make of this game.

+ Pes3ness on March 25th, 2013 at 7:28 pm said:

I’ve played DiveKick at UFGT when it was first publicly available. So much fun!

+ Mr_Tomomi on March 25th, 2013 at 7:45 pm said:

It looks cheap :/

+ Elvick_ on March 25th, 2013 at 8:24 pm said:

How are you going to keep the game from becoming stale and repetitive?

Adam

+ Adam “Keits” Heart on March 25th, 2013 at 8:28 pm said:

Honestly, that hasn’t been a challenge. Even before we had most of the game’s subsystems working (Headshots, Kickfactor), my test groups would play 10 hour sessions and beg to play longer. We played the prototype game at the office for 6 months competitively and were never close to bored, and the new version now includes character specific special techniques to add even more flavor to the cast. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

+ Elvick_ on March 25th, 2013 at 8:52 pm said:

Thanks for the reply, I’ll keep my eye on it and see.

Adam

+ Adam “Keits” Heart on March 25th, 2013 at 8:54 pm said:

All we ask is that you try it (and when you do, try it with a few friends).

+ topes521 on March 25th, 2013 at 8:56 pm said:

Keits, this sounds like a modern day Karate Champ (and I loved that game back in the day!). 2 buttons instead of 2 sticks, five rounds to get a 1 hit win (ok KC was all “half point – full point”, but still)…It really looks like it’ll be fun! If you only have the charging bull & ducking/jumping glass between rounds itd be perfect! If you need another game tester I’ll volunteer for ya, PS3 & Vita!!! Great job!

Topes
(Greg)

+ Ricen-Beans on March 25th, 2013 at 11:33 pm said:

I’ve heard only good things about this game on neogaf. Heard you had a good showing at pax.

Can’t wait to try this out on my vita or PS3!

Is there any unlockables or different attire for the characters??

Adam

+ Adam “Keits” Heart on March 26th, 2013 at 6:34 am said:

Each character will have quite a few color options, but we wont be talking about unlockables at this time.

+ MyrequeArk on March 26th, 2013 at 1:08 am said:

How many characters can we expect Keits?
Will there be DLC?
Any price yet?

It does indeed look awesome and I’ve been waiting for this since UFGT8 lol

Adam

+ Adam “Keits” Heart on March 26th, 2013 at 6:34 am said:

I can’t answer any of those questions at this time, I’m sorry!

+ Kchow23 on March 26th, 2013 at 2:06 am said:

That video was great!

+ QuantumMercury on March 26th, 2013 at 6:56 am said:

Wow you have got to be joking hahaha. I remember watching people play this on streams and seeing Tokido land 5 divekicks in a row and it said the other guy was a fraud. I couldn’t hold back the laughter, really great play on the FGC in this game. Will there be any trophy support?

+ terrencec06 on March 26th, 2013 at 7:48 am said:

I have never heard of this game in my life. Funny video though.
Just looked at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heenWdYYhg0
this is something that might be a pretty fun party game, drunk. lol.

+ Peace4jak3 on March 26th, 2013 at 7:56 am said:

I Remember watching it on twitch tv one time and look like a Blast to play. Can’t wait to try it out :D

+ Darth_NODlike on March 26th, 2013 at 7:59 am said:

Looking forward to a demo!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 26th, 2013 at 8:01 am said:

@11..WHAT VIDEO?…(answer: EXACTLY!!!)

This game looks so lame..and im sure it would satisfy a lame audiance..who are too lazy to learn combos or are too scared to play CHALLENGING FIGHTING GAMES..but whatever TO EACH HIS OWN. im just looking forward to Tekken vs Streetfighter..

+ markoclix on March 26th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

I think what they meant to call this was “Rider Kick!!!!” http://youtu.be/9wQzlH8_OGQ?t=16s

+ GhostMachine1 on March 26th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

@15 you sure are high and mighty for someone on a video game blog. The sense of humor from this studio seems great and I’m willing to try it before judging, otherwise that’d be pretty stupid.

+ GhostMachine1 on March 26th, 2013 at 8:15 am said:

@15 Also, there is a video.

+ DeLaurentiis on March 26th, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 Divekick is extremely challenging, and an amazing game. I got the chance to play it and I’m so glad it’s becoming a real release.

+ RobertJay on March 26th, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

This game needs to come out now! Or if not now, then at least relatively soon.

And you guys need to sell custom controllers. You know they would sell, I know they would sell, MadCats is blind if they don’t think they wouldn’t sell, so c’mon.

+ TrueLordX on March 26th, 2013 at 1:49 pm said:

I usually try to keep an open mind, and give people the benefit of the doubt…. Assuming that all developers at least try to put out quality titles in the time and budget restraints they have looming over them.

That being said…

Seriously?

Is everyone watching the same video and looking at the same screenshots as I am? Im sorry to have to say it but maybe a game that started out as a joke should of stayed as just that. I mean it looks like a flash game for christs sakes and the gameplay so far looks as repetitive and uninspired as one. Unless this is gonna be dirt cheap on release I don’t see anything to be even mildly excited about…

I dunno, maybe you were going for this kinda style and I am being a bit harsh but I agree with #16. Pretty lame.

+ myPSismyfriend on March 26th, 2013 at 4:30 pm said: