PS4-Watch_Dogs

Primal Carnage: Genesis Bringing Dinosaurs to PS4

Ashton Andersen's Avatar + Posted by Ashton Andersen on Mar 25, 2013 // Founder / Game Director, Lukewarm Media

At some point, everyone has wondered about what it was like to walk among the dinosaurs. We were wondering that for ourselves, so we’ve set out to develop Primal Carnage: Genesis. What better way is there to realize that dream than a new generation of PlayStation hardware to drive an incredible immersive experience?

From towering behemoths like the brachiosaurus and the tyrannosaurus rex to smaller creatures like the velociraptor and the dilophosaurus, there is no doubt that there is something magical about the creatures of the prehistoric world. In order to capture that magic in real time, we used Unreal Engine 4 as our software platform of choice. As the gameplay itself will feature a mix of linear gameplay and open-world exploration from a first-person human perspective, next-generation rendering is key to selling the lush island environment and suspending the disbelief that these dinosaurs aren’t actually, well, real.

Primal Carnage Genesis on PS4

Primal Carnage Genesis on PS4 Primal Carnage Genesis on PS4

In the early stages of development, it became clear that we wanted Primal Carnage: Genesis to champion an immersive story driven experience. How do we tell that story? We looked into several different storytelling methods and happened upon the episodic approach. It was a difficult decision for us, given the relative newness of episodic storytelling.

Ultimately, the episodic method ended up being the clear victor due to the versatile nature of creating a story episode by episode. It allows us a lot of wiggle room, because one unique advantage of the episodic model is the ability for player feedback from the first episode to affect the development of the following episodes. Do players want to see more of a certain mechanic? Maybe people didn’t like playing a certain segment of the game, thus steering our focus elsewhere.

We hope you enjoyed getting a sneak peak of Primal Carnage: Genesis. We’d love to hear what you think, so drop us a comment below! Keep an eye out on the Playstation blog for more updates from us. We will have a lot more to talk about in the future as development continues.

Dinosaurs are back.

74 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on March 25th, 2013 at 6:59 pm said:

O M G! Is this a first person experience!? It looks really goood. Woah, dinosaurs, i’m in. ^ ^

+ Feisar on March 25th, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

This is absolutely dinoriffic looking. Just dinocredible!

Dino.

+ tusunami on March 25th, 2013 at 7:06 pm said:

This is definitely a interesting concept, I’ll have to look into this more.

+ SiLENT_BMS on March 25th, 2013 at 7:11 pm said:

Interesting! Looks epic but what kind of game will it end up being? The Jurassic episodes was cool and all but it lacked open-world exploration. Is it an FPS? Either way I love dinosaurs and this preview looked sweet.

+ Ryu-Sama- on March 25th, 2013 at 7:12 pm said:

Nice!

+ Redikol on March 25th, 2013 at 7:13 pm said:

Looks very cool! Color me intrigued.

+ xRollz on March 25th, 2013 at 7:21 pm said:

Looks like dinosaurs are making a comeback.

+ Berae on March 25th, 2013 at 7:24 pm said:

At first I thought it was Primal Rage on genesis lol that would have been awesome. This game will do it too tho lol it looks interesting from that video.

+ Zarxce on March 25th, 2013 at 7:25 pm said:

Finally! An answer for all those people who wondered “What if Houdini was a dinosaur…?”

Cool trailer, and I’m totally down with episodic story telling. It’s perfect for getting a great story but not having to devote 20 hours of time into a game all at once. My only concern is that if they’re taking feedback after each episode in order to change the next episode, will that mean long turn around times between episodes?

I realize it’s very demanding for the dev team, but 1 month between each episode is the ideal pace to keep in order for me to stay interested and not just forget/lose interest. That was probably my only real gripe with the Walking Dead game. I wound up putting off playing most eps so I could play all at once towards the end. And after 6 months or so I forgot bits of the story or characters from the previous episode. It took away from the overall experience.

+ Ticalis on March 25th, 2013 at 7:25 pm said:

Looks Good!

+ MarinoBrea on March 25th, 2013 at 7:28 pm said:

Didn’t show anything…you can’t even tell this is for a game. But OK, I guess.

+ DracoBlade712 on March 25th, 2013 at 7:35 pm said:

I absolutely love dinosaurs (who doesn’t) Just want to say I have the up most optimism for the future of this title and will be watching the development of the game closely. Cant wait to hear about narrative details! There is a vacuum of dinosaur-based games in our medium that are actually WELL-MADE but, visually speaking, your team are nailing it, authentically capture what makes dinosaurs so compelling: their majesty balanced with magnitude, sheer ferocity. Hopefully you guys can finally make a game that not only engages with great gameplay/story but does the lizards justice too! Really want you guys to succeed! Best of luck!

+ Karkian on March 25th, 2013 at 7:35 pm said:

Dinosaurs are awesome, it’s a shame there aren’t a lot of games with them. Will definitely keep an eye on this.

+ noctepes on March 25th, 2013 at 7:38 pm said:

Look dinosaur make me remember to Dino Crisis

+ Rockefellow on March 25th, 2013 at 7:41 pm said:

This looks fantastic, and I’m intrigued to read the thought process behind it. I’m a bit concerned with your reasoning behind the episodic approach, however; if you were to logically develop the games at the pace indicated by your intentions, it seems there’d be quite a gap between the installments of each episode.

+ grinder-12_L on March 25th, 2013 at 7:42 pm said:

1. Dinosaurs!
2. First-person!
3. Open world!
4. Houdini Tyrannosaurus!
5. DINOSAURS!!

+ XxCrunkXcrayonxX on March 25th, 2013 at 7:43 pm said:

Looks pretty legit! Maybe it might end like Turok or maybe something more?

+ kermit_criminal on March 25th, 2013 at 7:49 pm said:

Nice concept but why would they have a Trex glassed in liquid like this was promethius or the matrix instead of raised from an embryo like dolly the sheep?

+ dylantalon on March 25th, 2013 at 7:49 pm said:

i cant wait to play this game and im quite sure it will be amazing if its being made by a sony 1st party studio. i would love another Afrika game by sony with a lot more to do like taking care of hurt animals and a lot more. Afrika is an amazing game and i know a sequel would be amazing.

anyway, i cant wait for primal carnage and the ps4. take my money now sony because ill be spending over a thousand quid first day on two ps4 for me and my girlfriend with a lot of the launch titles.

ps. please add backwards compatibility for ps1,ps2 and ps3 on ps4 because ill pay whatever it costs. if it doesnt ill be ok also, its a ps4 thatll be able to play killzone shadow fall.

+ jchill001 on March 25th, 2013 at 7:53 pm said:

we all saw jurassic park, so we know this is not gunna end well

+ BlooodyCow on March 25th, 2013 at 7:54 pm said:

DINOSAURS!!
OH YEAH….man, the PS4 launch lineup is already looking killer.
All we need now is some WRPG and JRPG…oh and inFamous: Second Son

+ saintaqua on March 25th, 2013 at 8:06 pm said:

I’m excited, but as much as I love Jurassic Park, I hope you don’t copy it too much.
I noticed your dino list includes four of the most popular from that franchise.
I’d rather see some less known ones and instead of those puny little Velociraptors, maybe Deinonychus (since that’s what the ones in JP really are anyway).
I do like Brachiosaurus and Dilophosaurus though.

+ XeahuleXolic on March 25th, 2013 at 8:08 pm said:

Dino Power !! I was about to say is this primal rage?!!? like as in a remake but this is fine i’m cool with this too lol I can’t wait to buy my PS4 I wish I can buy it right now lol

+ Phoenix9889 on March 25th, 2013 at 8:16 pm said:

Looks good for a PS3 game.

+ Nck90 on March 25th, 2013 at 8:19 pm said:

Jurassic Park meets Turok… I’m in

+ NYPUNK88 on March 25th, 2013 at 8:20 pm said:

The first game was awesome can’t wait to see what they do this time around. SP only though, no multiplayer? Sony you’re on fire! :D

+ Elvick_ on March 25th, 2013 at 8:22 pm said:

Dinosaurs > Zombies

I’m in.

+ thebgj on March 25th, 2013 at 8:39 pm said:

Teaser trailers with o gameplay=garbage

Is this a 1st person shooter?

+ ElectricSlurpee on March 25th, 2013 at 8:45 pm said:

I sincerely hope this turns out well, it’s just downright disgraceful that there has yet to be one decent dinosaur game made. Turok had/has potential but it seems no developer really knew what to do with it. Dino Crisis was just Resident Evil with scales and claws. Please don’t screw this up.

+ USRevenge2 on March 25th, 2013 at 8:59 pm said:

please please please please someone, anyone, everyone convince the developers to add the multiplayer into the game from the PC version, even if it’ the exact same thing, no new maps or anything do it..

the multiplayer looks awesome but apparently this new game doesn’t have it.

+ Mando44646 on March 25th, 2013 at 9:13 pm said:

So glad I’m getting a PS4! Can’t wait for this

+ onslaughtree on March 25th, 2013 at 9:37 pm said:

Dont know bout you guys but im soooooo ready for next gen. Bigger, badder, faster, more innovation, better sound, bring it on. I have only 1 home console in my home and thats a ps3, and the 1 console that will replace it will be the ps4…..As always, Keep on Gaming.

+ NickMulder on March 25th, 2013 at 9:43 pm said:

This is GENIUS you guys! No one really makes good dinosaur games anymore! I have very high hopes and expectations for this game and if you take your time to polish it and make it a good one, I’ll buy every episode you put out. I’m EXTREMELY excited for this game!

+ GhostMachine1 on March 25th, 2013 at 10:50 pm said:

I agree with 17. Why is it in a water tank? I hope these answers and more will be answered in the game’s story. I cannot wait to hear more about this.

+ smokinjoe1989 on March 25th, 2013 at 11:33 pm said:

cant wait to get this i love dino games but couldnt get into turok or the jurassic park game

+ stu123 on March 26th, 2013 at 12:30 am said:

Wonder if T-Rex really roared like that.Would be funny if you went back in time and saw one and it went (wait for it gonna be loud)…..meow

+ DeathKiller49 on March 26th, 2013 at 12:34 am said:

Day 1 buy for me for sure!

+ Kchow23 on March 26th, 2013 at 1:37 am said:

Wow that trailer looked amazing! DINOSAURS!!!

+ Welmosca on March 26th, 2013 at 1:51 am said:

PS4..?….hum…get out of here.I like dinosaurs makes me remember Dino Crisis…which is the best dinosaur game ever created.But PS4 tsc..I just lost my interest.

+ DaNTi3L on March 26th, 2013 at 3:29 am said:

this looks awesome

+ TWODEEEE on March 26th, 2013 at 3:53 am said:

since DICE cant give us dinos on battlefield gonna have to get this lol

+ GeoDarky on March 26th, 2013 at 4:24 am said:

When can i pre-order my PS4 !!!

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on March 26th, 2013 at 5:26 am said:

I’ve always wanted a really great dinosaur game, and I know this is just a teaser trailer, but that really did not look good. The modeling and texturing looked alright, but the animation was jerky and unnatural. Also, the teaser makes it look like it will be Jurassic Park meets generic futuristic FPS. How will this game set itself apart from other games? Futuristic FPS + dinosaurs isn’t good enough.

+ The-Liquid-Fox on March 26th, 2013 at 6:18 am said:

“I-is everyone on lunch at the same time AGAIN!?, someone’s getting fired.”

+ lyfestory on March 26th, 2013 at 6:24 am said:

Dino Crisis, anyone?? Looks pretty cool though.. cant really tell what kinda experience it’ll be but looks pretty good thus far…

+ Major_Hoare on March 26th, 2013 at 6:42 am said:

@Ashton:

Please include the online multiplayer that the excellent PC version of Primal Carnage is known for to PS4.

@Everyone else: Check out Jurrasic: The Hunted on PS3. That game is FPS dino hunting done well.

+ GRIM__REAFER on March 26th, 2013 at 6:48 am said:

Let us hope PETA doesn’t mess with you guys like they’re doing or did with Nintendo and their Pokemon games.

+ PainOfSarrow on March 26th, 2013 at 8:22 am said:

why only ps4 ? wish it was still going be for ps3 aswell. also if it is first person view then i wont get it. looks goood though.

+ FatAnorexic on March 26th, 2013 at 8:33 am said:

Les do eet!

+ Spyderzzz on March 26th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

This looks great! I’m looking forward to it!!

PAGE 1 2