PS4-The Order

MLB.TV Returns to PS3 Today

Chris Mahoney's Avatar + Posted by Chris Mahoney on Mar 26, 2013 // Director of Emerging Platforms, SCEA

MLB.TV 2013

The 2013 Major League Baseball opening day is right around the corner and PS3 is ready for every home run, strikeout, no-hitter, diving catch and surprise that happens over the course of the season. Will the San Francisco Giants win their third World Series title in four years or is this the year the Washington Nationals put all the pieces together and take home the World Series trophy?

You can find out starting today as the Major League Baseball action can once again be watched with the new 2013 MLB.TV application for PS3, now available on PSN for customers in North America. The MLB.TV app gives you access to every out-of-market regular season game live in full HD, archived games, home and away broadcast feeds, as well as an array of interactive features designed to take advantage of the PS3 system’s technical prowess.

New for this season is the addition of a revamped user interface featuring a global navigation bar giving you the ability to select from all of the application’s interactive options without interrupting any game action. Read more about what MLB.TV Premium subscribers have access to with this year’s application below:

• High Quality HD Streaming – Speed detection technology gives users HD video access depending on available bandwidth.
  • Enhanced Audio – In-game alternate audio selection allows users to overlay the home or away team’s broadcasters over the live video or use the “Park” option to include the ballpark’s natural sounds.
  • Home and Away Feeds – Choose to watch either the home or away broadcast feed.
  • Live Broadcast DVR Functionality – Use the live video overlay to pause and rewind live games or fast-forward to return to live game action.
  • Quick-Access Stats – View player cards with full career stats, league leaders, and in-game stats.
  • Event Navigation – Select in-game event types, such as home runs, hits or stolen bases, to show on a progression timeline and jump directly to the at bat where they happened.
  • Season Archive – Watch games and relive great moments from earlier in the season.
  • Scrollable Linescore – Go directly to any half-inning to watch only that portion of the game.
  • MLB Scoreboard – Scrollable league-wide scoreboard for each day’s games in three modes: Pre-game with scheduled starting pitchers; Live with up-to-the-moment game status; and Post-game with final pitching decisions and archived feed selection.
  • Favorite Team Selection – Pick a favorite team or teams to be featured first on the daily scoreboard.
  • Calendar Schedule – Scroll through the entire 2013 Major League Baseball schedule in calendar format or the user-designated favorite team’s schedule.

You can download the application now from the “Media & Apps” category on PlayStation Store and launch it from the TV/Video Services icon of the XMB. For the 2013 MLB season, MLB.TV Premium is available for a one-time fee of $129.99 or $24.99 per month, and can be used on the PS3 system. New subscribers can sign up here.

Enjoy the 2013 MLB season!

71 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ gerneric123 on March 26th, 2013 at 10:11 am said:

What about Vita.

+ Squiggle55 on March 26th, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

Awesome. Thank you very much. My biggest complaint before was how crappy the fast forwarding between innings was. The scrollable line score will be very useful for getting to the next half inning!

“Live Broadcast DVR Functionality – Use the live video overlay to pause and rewind live games or fast-forward to return to live game action.”

And this sounds useful too! Does that mean we can actually see what we are fast forwarding through now? yay!

+ JAMKOR on March 26th, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

Make it so I can see my hometown team and I buy at least one more PS3 and send MLB $130 in a split second. Until then, can’t do it.

+ zulux21 on March 26th, 2013 at 10:32 am said:

Is there any chance of a vita version of this app at all? I love to multitask while watching/listening to baseball, and having the app on the vita where I could have the game playing in the background and quickly pick up the vita to watch the action would be great. Not to mention being able to get onto mlb.tv on the go would be awesome. I don’t use the PS3 app more then a few times in the year, if there was a vita app I would likely use that over my PC for watching games.

+ EvilAbdy on March 26th, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

Or maybe the O’s take care of business this year :).

Go O’s!!!

+ boxmyth on March 26th, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

MLB.TV Premium bought and ready to play. Go Tribe!

+ thebgj on March 26th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

I split this with a friend last year, definitely did not watch 65 bucks worth of games. But this is an awesome thing for the playstation to have. I love baseball, but i just dont have the patience (ADD) to sit and do nothing. I usually have a game going on the computer and be playing some PS games.

+ JAK620 on March 26th, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

How about NBA GameTime for NBA Broad Band League Pass?

+ scwidgets on March 26th, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

I would also love an MLB.TV app for Vita. Any chance?

+ thrillwell on March 26th, 2013 at 11:48 am said:

It’s funny how easy it is to spend over $150 @ the ballpark for 1 game, but so hard to justify $129.99
for an entire season on the PS3. If Vita was tacked on, it becomes worth it to me for so many reasons.

I hope someone is listening.
I’m already a plus and music unlimited member, so I’m not just talking smack.
If it works well with Vita, I’m in day 1.

Even though we all know Giants will win the series again ^_^

+ ATOMS11 on March 26th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

Big time payroll!!! Big time baseball!! Go Dodgers!!!!

+ connvict72 on March 26th, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

still need to integrate in the home/away radio broadcasts as audio options as well, like they do for the PC application. and no local blackouts would be nice too

+ SalMoriarty on March 26th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

How about a discount on mlb.tv for those of us who live in a multiple team market? Twice the teams means twice the blackouts. Better yet, charge me an extra 20-50 bucks so I can avoid those blackouts.

+ Kchow23 on March 26th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

NBA League Pass please

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on March 26th, 2013 at 12:55 pm said:

Why do you keep removing and bringing it back?

What about a PSV app?

What about NBA League pass app?

What about a UFC app?

MS has all of those apps and many more on the 360.

+ KrisButtar on March 26th, 2013 at 12:57 pm said:

that game looks great, great job

+ GhostMachine1 on March 26th, 2013 at 1:37 pm said:

Can you guys please make an NBA.tv?

+ Xanthene on March 26th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

Looks great but still lacks features available on the PC like mosaic mode. Blackouts are also a huge negative. Hopefully better steps have been taken to prevent spoiling the score when you cannot watch live.

+ cheifhung2low on March 26th, 2013 at 2:13 pm said:

Can you use the directv extra innings package to sign into the MLB.tv app?

Not really sure if this should be directed to this post or directv?

+ lateralus1082 on March 26th, 2013 at 8:05 pm said:

This new update causes a black screen when loading and freezes my ps3. I confirmed this with a few buddies of mine. What gives?

+ munnlete on March 26th, 2013 at 8:12 pm said:

Doesn’t seem to be a simple fast forward/rewind, only skip ahead or back to the next “event” in the game.

Switching from tv audio to radio audio buffers the game and starts the game over, unlike the previous app.

+ munnlete on March 26th, 2013 at 8:15 pm said:

Also am trying to use the equivalent of the “Jump To Inning” feature on the old app, by hitting triangle. Can’t “jump” to any inning other than the one I’m watching. Left or right d-pad to change inning is not functioning.

+ Hitman3315 on March 26th, 2013 at 8:34 pm said:

I’m having the same issue as lateralus1082… Every time I open the app, I see a loading screen, and then I see a blank black screen and can’t do anything.

I’ve tried calling both MLB.TV customer support and Sony technical support about this issue, but neither were any help. I also posted this issue on the Support Forums…

I really wish they’d do the proper testing before launching this update on PSN and making a blog post here. And regardless, someone on either the PSN or MLB side should know how to help, but both basically sent me back to the other party, saying they didn’t know anything about this issue.

+ kenkraly2010 on March 27th, 2013 at 8:20 am said:

SCEA , Their’s a problem with the latest update with MLB.TV app on the PS3 I start it up and give me a blank screen. Please fix it now.

+ pudgenet on March 27th, 2013 at 8:26 am said:

Does the MLB app give you the ability to skip forward or backward LESS THAN THREE MINUTES, unlike the NHL app?

“Oops, I missed that play. OK, we’ll just rewind, and get to see what we missed IN THREE MINUTES.”

It’s insanely stupid.

+ Crzypdilly on March 27th, 2013 at 8:47 am said:

I’m also having the blank screen problem. Reinstalled twice now.

+ kenkraly2010 on March 27th, 2013 at 8:55 am said:

Sony fix the MLB.TV App a lot of people are having issues with it. Thank You.

+ munnlete on March 27th, 2013 at 9:02 am said:

#24 pudgenet, No, it does the 2-3 minute skip.

+ kenkraly2010 on March 27th, 2013 at 11:01 am said:

Sony are you just going to sit their and do nothing? We never had problems with the MLB.TV PS3 app last year and the year before. I’ve had to un install and re install the app about 10 times and still the same thing PS3 freezes on the loading screen and the app will not open. It’s on your end Sony’s and MLB’s end Please fix the PS3 App before Opening Day. That’s all we ask. Thank You.

+ aeturnus77 on March 27th, 2013 at 3:51 pm said:

Same problem here, freezes on loading screen, and the only way out is to reset the entire machine!

+ aeturnus77 on March 27th, 2013 at 3:54 pm said:

also, a Fellow SF Giants fan mentioned that it’s easy to spend $150 to go to a game, but difficult to spend $130 for MLB.tv…

I kind of disagree with that statement. It was extremely simple for me to spend $130 and for this fact alone: it’s under $1 a game to watch the entire season of a single team (not to mention you could watch every team if you wanted!), but yet for 16 games, no special features whatsoever, no DVR capabilities, the NFL Sunday Ticket is $300+!!!!

so, with that in mind, this is year 3 of getting to watch all SF Giants games for $130 on the east coast. :)

GO GIANTS!

…except that the app currently isn’t loading for me!

+ The420maN on March 27th, 2013 at 7:20 pm said:

Vita Please ASAP Thanks in advance

+ Felix_Bell on March 27th, 2013 at 7:40 pm said:

The latest update of the app is a fail…black screen and a hard system reset. Please fix this ASAP…opening day is just around the corner…and I was hoping the Bay Bridge series would be viewable as well, and that starts tomorrow. MLB gets my money when (if?) the app works…get on it.

+ kenkraly2010 on March 27th, 2013 at 10:06 pm said:

Sony please fix the 2013 MLB.TV PS3 App. I’ve un installed and re installed the MLB.TV PS3 App at least 20 times on the PS3 Slim and did the 4.0 update also did a power cycle and still the same thing Black Screen and the PS3 Freezes. MLB please fix the MLB.TV PS3 App. Thank You.

+ STONE_HOME_1 on March 28th, 2013 at 12:14 am said:

The 4.0 update broke the app.

The link above holds several people having problems. The loading screen comes up, there is a little sound (sounds like a welcome or login sound), it goes black, and the PS3 is locked up. Spent over 30 minutes with MLB and they didn’t have a clue there was something wrong. Tried pretty much everything from reinstalling it to power cycling the PS3. This better be fixed, I am a paying Premium member and the MLB app is the reason I bought a PS3.

+ strotee on March 28th, 2013 at 4:26 am said:

I too am having freezing issues; a reinstall doesn’t do squat either. The model of PS3 = CECH-2101A

+ polo155 on March 28th, 2013 at 5:51 am said:

it was working before the update, now it freezes my PS3, please let me know when to update it. not risking my harddrive getting corrupt

+ bigshow_tx10 on March 28th, 2013 at 7:14 am said:

This issue has been reported to MLBTV and to Sony/PSN for 24hrs now and I have not seen one response from either as to what the issue is or an ETC to correct. Really bad timing guys with MLB season rolling in and us die hard baseball folks in full swing keeping up with our teams already. $499 for my PS3 (I have two) and $130 for MLBTV and cant watch the games on my big screen and NO customer service to top it. You guys need to get to work and provide some updates to your CUSTOMERS!

+ STONE_HOME_1 on March 28th, 2013 at 4:49 pm said:

I called Sony on an impulse and he suggested I go into safe mode to repair the file system. The app booted perfectly and I thought it was fixed; thanked him and hung up. I rebooted my PS3 thinking I should just make sure… Sure enough when I booted it I get the loading screen and it locked up again. I guess for some reason its corrupting something…

Rebooting even without starting the MLB.TV app causes it to crash. Restored and booted in. I then made sure all my settings were correct and restarted. When I tried the MLB app it crashed. My last attempt will be to uninstall it, repair the file system, and then install it again.

The update must really screw things up because I repaired it then installed it. Wouldn’t load unless I repaired the file system again. Upon reboot it became unusable.

Places on the internet I find are having problems are:

Operation Sports
—————

Playstation Fourm Post By +Hitman3315
—————-

+ kenkraly2010 on March 28th, 2013 at 6:29 pm said:

Sony are you and MLB going to answer us or not? When will a fix to version 4.0 of the MLB.TV App come out. A lot of people are reporting Blank screen and PS3 freeze issues with the app. Please fix and address this. Thank You. That’s all we ask.

+ Kirobaito on March 29th, 2013 at 5:12 pm said:

I haven’t even gotten that far yet – I can’t even get access to 4.00. I still have 3.00 on my system from last year – I can still go back and watch any game from last year. I see no opportunity to update the app.

So… I deleted it and re-downloaded it. And it was still 3.00. I don’t get it. There’s no reason it shouldn’t have downloaded the most recent version from the PS Store. I had to re-link my system with my account, but it was the same old crap. It makes no sense.

When you guys tried to open up the app from last year, it just told you that you needed to update? Maybe these issues have made them turn off that prompt in order to keep people from updating to a corrupted 4.00?

+ torresny on March 30th, 2013 at 9:59 am said:

I am having the same since I installed MLB 4.0, all I get is a blank screen and it freezes the PS3. I have uninstalled it 2x already and always the same issue. I do not understand why the issues, I have been using it MLB tv for the last 2 years and I have never had any issue until this year. Hope they fix this before Sunday.

+ Kirobaito on March 30th, 2013 at 11:53 am said:

Just FYI, Sony removed the 4.00 version and so if you hadn’t updated it yet, you can’t.get access to it until they fix the problem. (Others found a workaround, I think.) But because I waited until yesterday to open the app, I was unable to update and the version offered on the PS3 store is still the old version at the moment.

+ STONE_HOME_1 on March 30th, 2013 at 12:53 pm said:

Workaround was to set your Primary DNS in the Network settings to 8.8.8.8. When I was reinstalling it would install the older version and require me to update. I would bet if people want to go back down you can uninstall it and when you install it will place the old version back on. Way too many bugs in the app when I was able to get in so i will be trying this.

+ STONE_HOME_1 on March 30th, 2013 at 1:00 pm said:

Just FYI it worked. I uninstalled the app and installed it from the channels store. Booted just fine into the old app.

+ STONE_HOME_1 on March 30th, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

Oh. I am a very pissed off customer. I reinstalled and now I can’t access the new season. This is BS.

+ STONE_HOME_1 on March 30th, 2013 at 1:22 pm said:

I can’t find an update button. Changing the DNS settings back to Auto allowed me to get the current season.

+ tommy_03-01 on March 31st, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

Why is this still stuck on last Season? It makes no sense. where is the update?????????

+ BadgeNC on March 31st, 2013 at 9:18 am said:

Mine still is stuck in 2012 with Sept/Oct games! Sony/MLB, the 2013 season starts TODAY, when will this be updated?

+ Lerido on April 1st, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

i have the same problem and when i delete the app and resintalled did not upgrade to the new version and shows me the 2012 season.

PAGE 1 2