PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

EPIX Brings Movies, Concerts, Comedy to PSN Today

Chris Mahoney's Avatar + Posted by Chris Mahoney on Apr 02, 2013 // Director of Emerging Platforms, SCEA

EPIX

I’m happy to announce that our newest digital entertainment partner, EPIX, will be available later today on PlayStation Network! EPIX offers a host of streaming entertainment like comedy shows, championship boxing matches, concerts, and movies. It includes recent releases like The Avengers, The Hunger Games, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Captain America: The First Avenger and Transformers: Dark of the Moon. The team at EPIX has partnered with some of the top movie studios in the industry like Paramount, MTV Films, MGM and Lionsgate to offer over 3,000 HD movies for you to enjoy. EPIX also has its own original documentary series, including a new documentary about New York Knicks’ power forward Amar’e Stoudemire premiering April 19th. For more information on EPIX, visit EpixHD.com and check out the video below.

EPIX is offering some exclusive content, such as songs from EPIX Original Concert Events, for PlayStation Network users in addition to some great deals to get you acquainted with their service. Every PSN user can sign up for a free 14-day trial to check out everything the service has to offer. Additionally, EPIX will be offering a new movie every week that PlayStation Plus members can stream for free, even if they aren’t a subscriber. Not bad, eh?

You can find EPIX in the “TV/Video Services” category on the PS3 XMB, as well as in the “Media & Apps” section of the PlayStation Store starting today. Don’t worry PS Vita owners, we didn’t forget about you: look for EPIX to arrive soon on your favorite handheld.

Let me know if you have any questions about EPIX in the comments below, and be sure to check out the application itself later today on PS3.

PAGE 1 2

+ Airleak on April 2nd, 2013 at 5:38 am said:

Available in Canada?

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

+ Chris Mahoney on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:26 am said:

Hey Airleak, At this time, EPIX is only available in the US. You can check their FAQ page here (http://corp.epixhd.com/faq/) for more information as this great service evolves.

+ Ghengis-Kahn on April 2nd, 2013 at 5:55 am said:

Very nice. When will HBO go be coming ?

+ Zsigawhat on April 2nd, 2013 at 5:56 am said:

Awesome, can’t wait to try it out!

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

+ Chris Mahoney on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Hey Zsigawhat, yeah we’re really excited too! EPIX is a great product. I’ve already used it a lot and am looking forward to your thoughts as you use it too!

+ BlueRobotX on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:01 am said:

“EPIX will be offering a new movie every week that PlayStation Plus members can stream for free, even if they aren’t a subscriber.” Awesome!

+ Solh0und on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:14 am said:

I would love to see twitch make it to PS3/Vita in the near future.

+ jhernandez360 on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:17 am said:

Very nice!

+ jhernandez360 on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:18 am said:

What about the Vita ?

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

+ Chris Mahoney on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:16 am said:

HI jhernandez360, Thanks for the feedback! We’re always interested in what our Vita owners would like to see on the platform. Currently, there isn’t a Vita version of EPIX, but we’re constantly expanding the reach of our partners onto other PlayStation platforms. So stay tuned for more soon!

+ jhernandez360 on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:19 am said:

Oops never mind yay!!

+ DropDeadKen on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:21 am said:

Cool stuff. Keep it coming!

+ Elvick_ on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

I’m all for more apps.

+ HardCorrFan on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:23 am said:

And PlayStation Plus continues to become an even better deal. Thanks for continuously improving PS+, Sony. It’s easily among the best subscriptions I’ve ever made. Great job in bringing EPIX to the PS3 and, soon, the Vita.

+ From_Concentrate on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:24 am said:

Plus just keeps getting better. Hopefully this is available to us canucks.

+ FerventTomato on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:31 am said:

Their site says you need to be in the US to login. Guess this is also US only.

+ subadictos on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:52 am said:

Please bring this to all America… here in Chile, Netflix is very succesful but we need more options.

+ baldassbat on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:53 am said:

So how much will it be after the 14-day trial? I used to have Epix as part of satellite service but it just disappeared one day. I loved the content and would consider paying for it, but it has to be cheaper on PSN or I’ll just add it to my satellite again.

+ buffpotato on April 2nd, 2013 at 6:58 am said:

Because it would have been too much work to add a sentence “For US residents only”.

+ Gorvi on April 2nd, 2013 at 7:11 am said:

Wow, this is great news, especially the free movie every week for Plus owners. :)

+ vanwinkle on April 2nd, 2013 at 7:17 am said:

No way I believe that line about Vita getting it soon. You guys said the same thing about Hulu Plus and Crackle apps…10 months ago at E3.

+ thebgj on April 2nd, 2013 at 7:19 am said:

Awesome i have been waiting for this. Can you tell me how much it will cost? The website was confusing or just didnt have enough info. It made it sound like you NEEDED to have a cable provider to use it. I never saw a monthly subscription page. It let me do a 14 day trial about 2 months ago and i dont have a cable provider. Im hoping its like netflix and is a stand alone app (no cable provider required).

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

+ Chris Mahoney on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

Hey thebgj, The EPIX app is free to download and use on PlayStation, but you must have a EPIX subscription through your local cable provider to access the content. More information here. http://www.epixhd.com/

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on April 2nd, 2013 at 7:20 am said:

Why not just bring an app store and put all this stuff there? All this fragmented apps being released ever so often is not good.

+ pOcHo_OX on April 2nd, 2013 at 7:33 am said:

Good news, free movie every week for Plus members, not bad. It would be nice in my vita too, and im waiting crunchyroll too.

+ Hogwild333 on April 2nd, 2013 at 7:41 am said:

A free movie every week for PS+ — that is an awesome new benefit! Will the free movie be announced in the weekly PS+ blog post or will we need to check the Epix app each week?

+ DaveTheStalker on April 2nd, 2013 at 8:01 am said:

I can sign in with my Dish Network account, right?

+ TheBratPrince79 on April 2nd, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

Not bad at All

+ Squiggle55 on April 2nd, 2013 at 8:17 am said:

Cool news! Love that plus members are getting some movie benefits now. Here’s hoping that the free movies are relatively new releases. And hopefully a blog post comes each week announcing the free movie, at least if they prove to be worth while.

+ lisatsunami on April 2nd, 2013 at 8:37 am said:

Nice!

+ Eloozhunz on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

nicely done sony….i’ve been waiting for epix

+ Kchow23 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:34 am said:

Really neat, hopeful that this is coming to Canada today as well.

+ Kchow23 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:47 am said:

I’m sure people are still waiting on NBA League Pass and HBO Go for both PS3/PS4 and PS Vita.

+ polo155 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:51 am said:

Great job Chris M, keep em coming for PS3 & PS Vita! How much longer for Vita?

+ polo155 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

it is subscription based right? …like netflix? monthly?

+ SalMoriarty on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:58 am said:

You have to be a cable subscriber to get access to Epix content. Fear not, though, because all Epix movies will end up on Amazon Prime three to four months later.

+ Katriona on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:00 am said:

This sounds really cool. Do you have any information on how much the subscription fee will be after the trial period?

+ ItaChu on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

just a 14 day trial?! :( oh well its better than nothing :) ill enjoy the free movies for 3 weeks :)

+ ItaChu on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:33 am said:

oh you need to have cable what? lol

+ SalMoriarty on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

From the website:

Do I need to subscribe to EPIX to watch movies online?

Yes, and the only way to subscribe is through your television provider.

EPIX is currently available from Charter, Cox Communications, DISH, Mediacom, Verizon FiOS and several Insight and NCTC television providers. Call your television provider and ask for EPIX today.

+ ItaChu on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

free movie for us each week?! woohoo

+ m4dDmUdD on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

how much is the subscription cost?

+ LordRaymond on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Awesome. A new movie to stream each week.

+ GaminFanatic on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

Awesome, Plus keeps getting better and better. Really looking forward to a new free movie every week.

+ Vanish78 on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

when will the PS Vita get ESPN GO or NFL Network app?

+ Huanchu on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

Are other people having any trouble with teh Link on Epix page?

I go to their site, and click teh link where it says ‘PS3′, but it takes me to the PS3 store, and says the page can’t be found.

What’s going on?

Chris Mahoney's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on April 2nd, 2013 at 3:08 pm said:

That page will be live a little bit later today, check again this evening!

+ Huanchu on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

“Don’t worry PS Vita owners, we didn’t forget about you: look for EPIX to arrive soon on your favorite handheld.”

Vs

“Currently, there isn’t a Vita version of EPIX, but we’re constantly expanding the reach of our partners onto other PlayStation platforms.”

So yeah, same as all teh other Apps for Vita, it ain’t coming any time soon.

My advice; don’t subscribe to this service if you’re hoping to use it on a Vita as well any time soon.

+ Mercenary09 on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

@42 probably because the store hasn’t updated with it yet.

+ Occhi07 on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

what if our cable provider doesnt support epix? i have comcast xfinity, and i don’t see it on the list. Does that mean epix wont work on my ps3? and even if im a ps+ member, i wont get a free movie?

+ devilmosh on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

Honestly, I wasn’t a big fan of Epix when I had satellite because, like cable channels in the early days (well, still but not as bad for others) they would take a handful of movies and play just those… until you’re sick of them.

Fortunately, the great movies they boast are also on Netflix, perhaps because they have a deal with them, I don’t know, and I subscribe to that. I even gave up satellite to watch Netflix full-time on my PS3 – it rocks that much. If Epix has a deal with their movies through them and it’s part of my enjoyment on that, kudos to them for that.

Otherwise, I’m good.

+ TwinDad on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:37 pm said:

I’ll look into it but if I have to have a cable provider, then I’m left out. I don’t live in a cable TV area. You might want to reconsider your subscription model.

+ TwinDad on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

I’ll ask as I now see that the website says “TV Provider”. So I’m dropping DirecTV. Is your service a basic extension of that subscription much like ESPN3?

+ jade777 on April 2nd, 2013 at 2:01 pm said:

that actually sounds great! will it substitute disc based netflix for me? hope so…

+ Satnamji on April 2nd, 2013 at 2:01 pm said:

I had the EPIX app working on my Roku for a while until my cable provider started denying me access, though I continued to subscribe to the channel as part of my cable TV movie package. It’ll be interesting to see if I’m allowed to use it on the PS3.

PAGE 1 2