PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Puppeteer: Release Date and Hero Heads Revealed!

Gavin Moore's Avatar + Posted by Gavin Moore on Apr 02, 2013 // Art Director, SCE Worldwide Studios

I’m just back from the wonderful city of San Francisco and the 2013 Game Developers Conference. Whilst I was there, I met with some members of the press to give them an exclusive look at the first two acts in Puppeteer, and also share an exciting gameplay reveal… Hero Heads!

Puppeteer for PS3Puppeteer for PS3

Puppeteer for PS3Puppeteer for PS3

As Kutaro, you’ll find all sorts of amazing heads to act as your noggin as you journey to get your head back from Moon Bear King. Be careful to collect and keep the right ones, as some have the power to change and shape the world around you, while others unlock bonus stages – adding even more adventure and hilarity to this dark and fantastical tale!

I’m excited to finally let the cat out of the bag (no, not Ying-Yang…I mean a metaphorical cat) about four very special heads that Kutaro will encounter on his journey and aid him in his quest. Each Hero Head possesses a power that once belonged to one of the four legendary “Moon Heroes” who fought valiantly to protect the Moon Goddess from being overthrown by the evil Moon Bear King. Alas, their powers were no match for Moon Bear King’s twelve generals who ultimately defeated the heroes… but what if someone were brave enough to attain all four of those powers and use them together?

At GDC we officially unveiled the first two Moon Heroes and their powers; the Shield Power of the Moon Knight, and the Bomb Power of the Moon Ninja! When Kutaro collects these Hero Heads, it adds some truly transformative mechanics to Puppeteer, which you won’t see coming! For more on that, stay tuned to PlayStation.Blog for more Puppeteer coverage from GDC.

I’m also very excited to share our final box art, and to let you know that Puppeteer will be available at your favorite local retailer September 10th, 2013 for $39.99!

Puppeteer for PS3: Box Art US

Lastly, I couldn’t just drop by with all of this awesome news without bringing you something extra, so check out our new Story Trailer for a deeper insight into the dark happenings on the Moon.

That leaves two more Moon Heroes and their game-changing powers for Kutaro to quest after, doesn’t it? Well then, you’ll want to check back here in a few weeks for more on the strange tale of a boy named Kutaro!

PAGE 1 2

+ Jesszman on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:04 am said:

Will this be available day one on PSN?

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:33 pm said:

Yes, that is the plan!

+ pOcHo_OX on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:04 am said:

humm and puppeter for psvita?I thought I read something about it…

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on April 2nd, 2013 at 5:49 pm said:

PS3 BD and PSN only, sorry for the confusion!

+ Mercenary09 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

Really looking forward to this. Also I didn’t know this game was going to use the Move so that’s cool. Any kind of preorder goodies planned?

+ G-Force08 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

Ouch. September too?! This September is going to be packed with games. I’m really looking forward to playing this.

Now, to figure out how to get more than 24 hours in a single day. *rubs chin*

+ Anddo on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

Fantastic looking game. The price is right as well.

@Jess. No reason why it wouldn’t be.

+ RE_Player on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:07 am said:

Very smart making this $40. Just like Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time that price point makes it hard to pass up for a day 1 buy.

Game looks fantastic. SCE Japan Studio never seizes to amaze me.

+ KidCommando on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

Was going to buy this game no matter what but thanks for the price drop regardless.

The game looks fantasmagorical!!

+ ssorc_bro on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:15 am said:

Sweet, which hopefully means it’ll have a nice £25 price tag over here, definitely will be picking it up, looks like a lot of awesome fun. :D

+ Fujiwara_Kyo on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:15 am said:

Looks absolutely fantastic. I would have bought this for the full sixty bit at forty it’s a steal considering it might be longer than a lot of sixty dollar games. Keep up the good work.

+ johnnyp70 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:16 am said:

@G-Force08-Just don’t sleep. Sure, it will take years off your life, but, hey, this is about gaming!

+ EmperorKorea on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:16 am said:

Sony should stop making PS3 games and focus on Vita. This looks like it should be a Vita game.

+ TomHoang on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:16 am said:

This game looks amazing. Also didn’t know that it would support Move, but that is a nice bonus. Day 1 buy for me.

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on April 2nd, 2013 at 5:51 pm said:

Thank you! Yes, Move is supported but not “required” :-)

+ remanutd5 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:17 am said:

Is this game coming to the playstation vita?

+ remanutd5 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:18 am said:

@11 totally agreed, this looks like a psvita game.

+ Zionine on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

They shouldn’t drop the PS3 games.. It has a much higher product density in the world. Therefore, more sales. Maybe a cross-buy or something rather, but the PS3 is not dead yet.

+ mochuuu on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

Really enjoyed the trailer. my interest in this one just went up quite a bit

+ rafael_martines on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

Is there any chances of this game comes with japanese audio?

+ XtemmA2 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:36 am said:

Somehow i remember De-cap attacks.
Much fun detected from the Puppeteer!

+ XtemmA2 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

@#14: totally agreed, yes.

+ Wozman23 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:51 am said:

I’ve been anticipating this game since the reveal trailer. I love every single thing about it!

I’m still not sure how to feel about this $40 price point for games like this and Sly. On one hand, I’m saddened that Sony seems to lack confidence with the sale of these titles. Sly was amazing, and this looks to be just as good. I’d have no problem paying $60 on Day 1. In fact, I often get more enjoyment out of stuff like this than I do the higher production value, realistic graphics focused blockbusters. On the other hand, I guess I should just be thankful Sony is still releasing whimsically delightful fantasy games, despite the fact that they are a dying market.

+ Zezzler on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:57 am said:

It’s looking really cool. And that price tag makes it even more alluring than before too!
It really seems as if this Fall is shaping up to be mammoth for PlayStation fans.

+ Kchow23 on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:58 am said:

Consider this game purchased! Would be wonderful if it came to PS Vita though :)

+ lisatsunami on April 2nd, 2013 at 9:59 am said:

So getting this Day 1. A pre-order bonus for digital would be much appreciated.

+ xClayMeow on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

Bring this to Vita.

That is all.

+ xenosaga200 on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:11 am said:

any chance we get this game for ps vita?

+ Berae on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

I love the vibe of this game!

+ rafael_martines on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

SONY don’t love Vita that’s all

+ subadictos on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:41 am said:

Truth is… I don’t play this kind of games on PS3. If I have time for playing, I’ll go with Tomb Raider, Bioshock or Spec Ops, Heavy Rain… that kind of games.

In other hand, I love to play this kind of games on PS Vita. In fact, I have three memory cards (4, 8 and 16GB) full of games.

If you launch this on PS VITA, count me in. Period.

+ IzoGray on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

This should have Remote Play via Vita DAY ONE. COPY/PASTE if you agree. That should be a standard for titles like this.

+ IzoGray on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

Also, would love a separate Vita version. Even more than a PS3 version.

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Eric Smith on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:17 am said:

As of right now, Puppeteer is exclusively for the PS3. We are so happy that you all are excited for this game and want it for more platforms though.

+ MarinoBrea on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:45 am said:

Looks brilliant.

+ Cloud_X1 on April 2nd, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

September . . . hmmm wish it could have been earlier seeing how September will be packed with so many games. I’ll try and get the game on launch day though. Looks fun.

+ RowlfTheDog on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

Looks fantastic, but how is this game not a 3D release??

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Eric Smith on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:15 am said:

Hey RowlfTheDog,

Puppeteer is compatible with Move and 3D!

+ Heavenly_king on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

please have easy trophies, have easy trophies, have easy trophies…..PLEASE!!!

+ MakoSOLIDER on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

Thank you for making my birthday special

+ boboMELOSHE on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:44 am said:

Been interested from the start :D U guys have my money day 1.

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

The art & animation look really damn awesome – i like this kind of stuff. It honestly looked like it’d be a PS4 tittle, cause it sure felt like i was watching Knack there for a sec. 40$ seems promising, but like everyone else is saying, that kind of price tag would surely benefit on the PSVita. This & Tearaway… can’t wait.

+ onslaughtree on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

The concept of this game is so damb awesome…omg. I really want this game now. NOW I say……….Oh well, guess I will have to wait. day 1 purchase….As always, Keep on Gaming.

+ pipking01 on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

I was already interested in it, but at $40 it’s a no-brainer.

More flexible pricing going forward, please.

+ marukusanagi on April 2nd, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

hi there, Us user of the PSN store. I’m an user from argentina, and just yesterday we got our ‘local’ ps. Local if you say us dollars price, games like borderlands 2 at a 109 DOLLARS and so! We have a change of 1 dollar 8 local pesos, and we can’t use local credit card, only international ones, the local policy makes us pay a 20% fee for international purchases and no ps cards, no protions no NADA.
So, my next console will be a X BOX 720, no more PS system (even when many classics I love are there), I just want to let be know how we are being robbed in our ‘local’ store. We can purchase original discs for half of the price this store has published! Nobody anwers our claims, nobody gives us one good answer.
So, bye bye PS

+ guitarded77 on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:02 pm said:

Excited to see more of this game… love the art style. I assume we’ll see more at E3?

Gavin Moore's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on April 2nd, 2013 at 5:53 pm said:

Yes, more at E3, stay tuned!!!

+ IzoGray on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

What do you think about Remote Play via Vita though? That would be really great!

+ RoBo-O-G on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

Looks amazing, the animation is incredible! Apparently there’s no d-pad controls though, only analog stick? That is a terrible mistake! imagine playing 2D Mario with an analogue stick, ugh! please at least provide an option for D-pad control also!

+ ZenTripleFour on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

Looks great.

+ IzoGray on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:45 pm said:

Yes. D-Pad should automatically be apart of the control scheme by default. Or at least give us the option to change the control schemes in the menu.

+ Johnny_iS_A_bOy on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:55 pm said:

Absolutely without a doubt FREAKING AWESOME!!! I hope that it doesn’t get overlooked due to next gen but we can only hope for the best. It’s a steal at $40 hopefully people will hop on board and Sony will actually try to market the game and not just rely on a cheap price point to make it a success. I’ll most definitely be waiting for this day 1!

+ Johnny_iS_A_bOy on April 2nd, 2013 at 12:57 pm said:

Will you guys do a reversible cover? I actually really like the cover as it is but i’d love it without all the clutter and mess of logos and what not all over the fantastic art!

+ ammoburn on April 2nd, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

Ps vita! Ps vita! Or at least ability to remote play this game!

+ SkreetMerchant on April 2nd, 2013 at 1:41 pm said:

Yes Yes Yes!

+ GhostMachine1 on April 2nd, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

Add me to the “Day 1″ list. Any incentive to pre-order?

PAGE 1 2