Driveclub

The Last of Us: American Dreams Comic Book Issue #1 Out Now

Arne Meyer's Avatar + Posted by Arne Meyer on Apr 05, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

The Last of Us: American Dreams

We’re proud to share the news that the first issue of The Last of Us: American Dreams – a comic book series published by Dark Horse Comics and jointly written by Naughty Dog Creative Director Neil Druckmann and the talented Faith Erin Hicks – is in stores now. The series art is also by Faith, with colors by Rachelle Rosenberg, lettering by Clem Robins, and the stunning covers by Julián Totino Tedesco.

Trust us when we say that American Dreams doesn’t spoil any of the story found in The Last of Us game, and instead gives you a great introduction to Ellie and her life as told through events inside the quarantine zone taking place prior to the game. I have to say, even though I’ve been able to watch the American Dreams series take shape over the past several months as we worked on it with Dark Horse Comics, it was still no less awesome to finally see it in front of me and read Issue #1 as an actual, real comic book.

Brendan Wright, Editor of The Last of Us: American Dreams, has a great blog post over on the Dark Horse website that introduces the series far better and with more eloquence than I ever can.

The digital version of The Last of Us: American Dreams Issue #1 will launch next Wednesday, April 10, on Dark Horse Digital – which is available on your iPhone, iPad, and Android devices, or on the web. You can get links to the apps or access Dark Horse Digital here.

While the physical comic book is only available in North America for the time being, the good news is that the English-only digital version will be available worldwide. Keep an eye on @PlayStation on Twitter as we will be giving away 50 codes for the digital edition.

Also on Twitter, be sure to join Neil and Faith for a Dark Horse Twitter chat on @DarkHorsecomics on the same day the digital version of American Dreams Issue #1 drops – Wednesday, April 10 at 11:30 AM PDT. [What time is this in my city?]

We’re planning a one-hour Twitter chat, so keep an eye on @DarkHorsecomics on Twitter and the #TheLastofUsAD hashtag. Dark Horse has let us know they’re looking to do some giveaways during the Twitter chat, so this is one you won’t want to miss.

We’re thrilled to see that the comic series has started already – hopefully making the wait until The Last of Us releases worldwide on June 14, 2013, just a little bit easier.

If you’ve already picked up the comic – tell us what you think in the comments!

The Last of Us: American Dreams - Page 1The Last of Us: American Dreams - Page 2

See the first six pages of American Dreams Issue #1 at Dark Horse’s website. If you decide to pick it up – and I suggest you do! – you can find your local comic book store here.

+ aro52 on April 5th, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

Sweet. Looking forward to Wednesday.

+ jchill001 on April 5th, 2013 at 4:52 pm said:

STOP TEASING ME WITH THESE COMICS AND VIDEOS AND JUST GIVE ME THE GAME!!!!!!

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 5:00 pm said:

:( But these are cool comics and videos.

+ D-Squad3 on April 5th, 2013 at 4:53 pm said:

We can’t buy it online?

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 4:59 pm said:

It will be available online NEXT WEDNESDAY. April 10. :)

+ D-Squad3 on April 5th, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

Wait a sec, isn’t this coming with the Post-Pandemic edition? If so then I don’t have to worry since I’ve already pre-ordered it.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 5:00 pm said:

Yes, issue #1 is in the Post-Pandemic Edition (lucky you!) – with a variant cover. So if you’re a collector, the version this week has Julian’s art, the Post-Pandemic Edition has Faith’s announcement art as the cover.

+ Madd_Hatter401 on April 5th, 2013 at 5:09 pm said:

I am freaking excited!! I remember seeing this game at E3 and being overwhelmed with anticipation I can’t wait to get a hold of this game!! Hoping it will be great

+ GhostMachine1 on April 5th, 2013 at 5:18 pm said:

Will these only be in comic book stores? I want it.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 5:36 pm said:

Comic book stores and digital. You can find some comic books stores that take online orders. The Dark Horse website links to Things from Another World for online sales: http://www.tfaw.com/

+ GhostMachine1 on April 5th, 2013 at 5:19 pm said:

Also what are the dates for the other issues so we know when to get them day one?

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 5:35 pm said:

The last Wednesday of May, June, and July.

+ FreshRevenge on April 5th, 2013 at 5:19 pm said:

I preordered the God of War Ascension game and I get the demo. If the demo does well, than I see myself preordering, The Last of Us. I remember getting the Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition and getting a Dark Horse preview comic; is this what this is, a preview comic?

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 5:37 pm said:

Preview comic? It’s not a short version of a longer comic – this is the longer, full comic series. I believe the ME3 comic series told some of the intro story into the events of ME3? This is similar, it tells a bit of Ellie’s story prior to the events in game.

+ D-Squad3 on April 5th, 2013 at 5:21 pm said:

Thanks! Since the Post-Pandemic edition is getting a different cover, I think I will buy this version too whenever I visit my comic book store! I want to have both versions. :)

+ TomatoDragon on April 5th, 2013 at 5:21 pm said:

I’m a gettin’.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 5:39 pm said:

Yay! As with everything, we would love to eventually do another comic series (I think I’m volunteering Neil without his consent yet), so we hope you like this one and keep buying.

+ coldkilla_255 on April 5th, 2013 at 5:29 pm said:

LOL I was looking online for this and then I cam across this article lol Naughty Dog and Dark Horse are reading my mind!!

+ MakoSOLIDER on April 5th, 2013 at 6:00 pm said:

I would buy it SONY released the comic and ereader APP they showed at TGS last year

+ Radprofile on April 5th, 2013 at 6:00 pm said:

Instead of this I want Ellie Edition instead of post-pandemics and survivors :P

+ Vidarcr on April 5th, 2013 at 6:01 pm said:

This would be perfect for the vita comics app that we don’t have (hint)-

+ Pikmologist on April 5th, 2013 at 6:09 pm said:

Thanks Arne! So this is only available at Comic Book stores? I guess I’ll actually give them some business now. I’ll pick this up as soon as I can! I already have my Post Pandemic pre-ordered. Super excited!

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 6:32 pm said:

Yes, right now it is only available via your local comic shop or ones that ship online. Then there’s the digital version next week. Future releases will have the physical version in comic book stores and the digital version coming out at the same time.

+ Andy10003 on April 5th, 2013 at 6:17 pm said:

Gahh! I want to read this now, but I’m pretty positive I’m ordering the survival edition which comes with it x.x Anyway, how much does each comic cost? I’ll have to buy the others since it only comes with the first issue lol

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 6:34 pm said:

The cover says $3.99 for the issue. By the time the game comes out, issues #1 and #2 will be out. Can you wait that long??

+ The_Bee96 on April 5th, 2013 at 6:39 pm said:

I saw that you said that this was the issue packaged with the Post-Pandemic edition. I think I remember something about a comic in the Survival Edition as well. Will this comic be bundled with both collector’s editions, or just the Post-Pandemic?

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 6:56 pm said:

You’re right and I should have mentioned that too – the Survival Edition has the variant cover version of Issue #1 as well.

+ Assais on April 5th, 2013 at 6:49 pm said:

Hey Arne, when is the next dev video of TLOU coming out?? We can’t wait to see more footage about the game man!!

Arne Meyer's Avatar

+ Arne Meyer on April 5th, 2013 at 6:57 pm said:

Very, very soon! We’ll be sure to let you know when it’s out.

+ Assais on April 5th, 2013 at 7:04 pm said:

Awesome! If only you knew how many times a day I go to Google News and search for TLOU hoping to a find some new bit of information about the game..sigh..I’ve been having dreams about that game!

+ PrinceofXIII on April 5th, 2013 at 7:13 pm said:

will wait for the full volume :P

+ poodude on April 5th, 2013 at 7:25 pm said:

Hope Sony bundles these all together like they did with the Resistance comics :D!

+ I_PARTY420 on April 5th, 2013 at 7:25 pm said:

This doesn’t have to deal with this post, but will there be a Final Fantasy Crisis Core release for PSN so i can play on my ps3? Or do you know if there will be a lucasarts sale in memorial of them closing down?

+ Busca-Cabezas on April 5th, 2013 at 7:40 pm said:

Thx for the preview pages link… This might spark allot of intrigue… I guess that Pandemic Edition is now a must for me… Hehe! :D

+ Busca-Cabezas on April 5th, 2013 at 8:28 pm said:

Quite violent… Niiiiiiiiiice!!! #23? JOOORRDAN!! :P

+ peartboyz on April 5th, 2013 at 9:00 pm said:

I’m a huge fan of the art style here. I’ve actually been looking forward to the comics as much as the game :D

+ dallscowboys88 on April 5th, 2013 at 9:26 pm said:

I wish the Vita could have Digital Comics like the PSP did. Then I could get this for it :)

+ JimmyNEUTRON413 on April 5th, 2013 at 9:44 pm said:

I just bought and read it on my Dark Horse app on my Nexus 7 tablet…its under “featured”…
3.99$ 24pg.

+ Busca-Cabezas on April 5th, 2013 at 10:28 pm said:

@Post#27 a.k.a JimmyNEUTRON413: Thx!! Dark Horse Comics App Downloaded!! I loves my Nexus 7! Woot! Woot! :D

+ Hooligantuan on April 6th, 2013 at 5:20 am said:

This is … being kinda aggressively marketed.

+ Strangeheaven on April 6th, 2013 at 5:47 am said:

I think it would be better if you release a Didgibook when The Last Of Us game becomes available.

Combining of The Last Of Us game and the four comics in one Digibook.

Blu Ray movies do this,why not games. Plus Steelbook version would be nice to.

+ XeahuleXolic on April 6th, 2013 at 7:07 am said:

I love comic books cuz I make them myself ;) we are working Xolic Unleashed right now.
I do enjoy everything about this game, I plan getting myself a copy of this conic book :)

+ subadictos on April 6th, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

Sony, it’s time. Make a Comic App for PS Vita for once for reading this comic (and put some other available too).

Go, Sony… you can do it…

+ Vorlord on April 6th, 2013 at 2:09 pm said:

Wow! I’m surprised I got this at the comic store before the announcement was made for this! This was a treat, thanks guys! Can’t wait for Issue 2 May 29th!! :)

+ Scaramanga1983 on April 6th, 2013 at 3:40 pm said:

Will the next volumes continue Ellie’s story or they will show other characters stories?

+ Rukahz on April 6th, 2013 at 5:10 pm said:

@Arne Meyer i gotten the survival editions and was planning get Post-Pandemic Edition both edition as entire collection but i notice my gamestop don’t got no more Post-Pandemic Edition, is there anyway to have more Post-Pandemic Edition ? i want that editions to cause statue look good :)

+ Nano1124 on April 6th, 2013 at 9:07 pm said:

This comes with the Survival Edition of the game, right?

+ badreligionbomb on April 7th, 2013 at 12:46 am said:

does anyone actually care about this???? we want the game… not some stupid comic

+ Oisterboy on April 7th, 2013 at 4:09 am said:

Woo! How many different covers are there? I’m getting behind, gotta get the new adventure time and walking dead, now this one is on my list. Regular show is coming out soon too. Been waiting on this. Please let us know when the others come out too.

+ somebignasty on April 7th, 2013 at 9:01 am said:

Arne, the last time I “talked” to you I was asking if there would be a collector’s edition (the night of the VGAs), and I am proud to say I was able to get in my preorder for the Post-Pandemic Edition before they ran out. Would just like to say thanks for making what looks to be an amazing game and also expanding it into other media, e.g. these AWESOME COMICS!

+ BlindMango on April 7th, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

lol she looks so WEIRD on the cover! haha

+ JimmyHACK on April 8th, 2013 at 5:39 am said:

The digital version was available since Friday as well from Darkhorse’s digital store.

+ UncannySilk on April 8th, 2013 at 6:47 am said:

Eh. Still looks like a pretty dull title to me.

+ x-Kicks-x on April 8th, 2013 at 10:11 am said:

Hey Arne, speaking of developer updates
Is there going to be an update about the availability of TLOU on the playstation store? I’d love to buy it as a day 1 digital release

+ ADMIC on April 8th, 2013 at 7:23 pm said:

Nice! I will read this comic before i play the game! This will be amazing!

+ mikeyvittelli on April 10th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

Is it available in print in US Comic stores?