PS4 - Transistor

The Last of Us Development Series Episode 2: Wasteland Beautiful

Eric Monacelli's Avatar + Posted by Eric Monacelli on Apr 09, 2013 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

In our first video in The Last of Us Development series we took a look at the Infected. We explored their unpredictable nature, what the Cordyceps fungus has done to these humans, and how we as developers worked some plausible science about infection into the game. Area 5 returned to the studio to discover how we created the game world. The second video in the series looks at what went into the concept and design of the world and its environments in The Last of Us. Check it out:

The key word for the development of every aspect in The Last of Us is contrast. There’s a counterpoint to nearly every detail in the game and we strive to show as much beauty as the ugly, brutal realities of the world allow. We think you’ll find our wasteland beautiful once you get into the game world in just a couple months.

Our next video in the series will explore the crafting and scavenging gameplay mechanics. An in-depth documentary on the game disc will contain an expanded look at all the content in these videos. The Last of Us will be available June 14th, 2013.

29 Comments

+ tampaBAY on April 9th, 2013 at 12:09 am said:

Can’t wait for this game. I’m more hyped for the Last of Us than the PS4 and I will buy that day 1 too. Keep up the good work Naughty Dog.

+ Coloran on April 9th, 2013 at 12:13 am said:

Can you say what year The Last of Us takes place in? If you can’t say yet, is it revealed in the game?

+ cleversignin on April 9th, 2013 at 12:19 am said:

@1 agreed but I am hoping that ND will announce Uncharted4 for the PS4 at E3 which would increase my anticipation to near fatal levels.

+ SocialClimber_85 on April 9th, 2013 at 12:27 am said:

This is probably the game I’m most excited for.
Faith Erin Hicks involvement with the prequel comic was a total bonus because I love her art.
I can’t wait to get to play this game! I think for the most part it’s gonna be crazy and amazing.

+ TripleA_14 on April 9th, 2013 at 2:09 am said:

How much will we be able to actually explore said environments? Will it be more like the Uncharted games where its mostly just for looking at and moving on, with very little exploration options? I’m not expecting this to be an open world game (frankly, I don’t even have the patience for fully open world games any more), but I’m hoping for there to be a little more exploration and discovery – kinda like the later Sly Cooper games or Jak 2/3 i.e. small but open areas to explore.

+ spectyre on April 9th, 2013 at 2:13 am said:

As usual, I am simply amazed at what Naughty Dog can accomplish on the PS3. I can’t wait to see what they will deliver on PS4.

+ Aurablade77 on April 9th, 2013 at 2:18 am said:

This probably is not feasible to answer here, but I am wondering what the mental “vibe” at the Naughty Dog studios is when there is a lot of exciting and amazing visual work done for The Last of Us on PlayStation 3 knowing PlayStation 4 is already on its way. This video gave me the “awe” just like other Naughty Dog behind-the -scenes videos of the hard work and passion of the production team when it comes to their stunning work. I can imagine the many times I will have while playing The Last of Us where I pause for minutes and just tilt the right analog stick for the camera to look at the work done to make visually stunning environments. Call me a total nerd if you want, but my appreciation to the work done into making video games has grown tremendously ever since the days of SNES and PS1, especially with Naughty Dog’s work =)

+ OmegaSpear on April 9th, 2013 at 2:37 am said:

Looks and sounds beautiful, can`t wait for this game.

+ xZEEZO on April 9th, 2013 at 4:23 am said:

You people at Naughty Dog never cease to amaze me , My dream is to work at Naughty Dog
Thank you so much for the amazing games you create .

+ loakum on April 9th, 2013 at 4:45 am said:

wow, look at that scenery! It looks so vivid. Naughty Dog, The Last of Us has the real potential to be legendary! The attention to detail is off the charts!

+ Zechs34 on April 9th, 2013 at 5:09 am said:

@2,

In the vide, there’s an evacuation notice dated October 17, 2013 I believe. Safe to assume its probably present time.

Can’t wait!

+ loakum on April 9th, 2013 at 5:11 am said:

2013 is offically: The Year of the Dog

+ calebx84 on April 9th, 2013 at 5:16 am said:

The amount of detail is spectacular. Naughty Dog you never cease to amaze me!

+ anitaj1198 on April 9th, 2013 at 5:42 am said:

@Coloran , I’m just assuming the game takes place either in 2013 or sometime after because if you look at the evacuation notice there’s a 13 for the year

+ snakeeyes211 on April 9th, 2013 at 6:02 am said:

Awesome vid
@12 I agree. ;-)

+ snakeeyes211 on April 9th, 2013 at 6:17 am said:

My collectors edition is paid off $$$and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. to the whole team at naughty dog love what I’ve been seeing ;-) great job guys

+ Veridis_Quo on April 9th, 2013 at 6:35 am said:

Absolutely awesome in every sense of the word. The amount of dedication to the art direction in this game is something to admire and I’m confident that Naughty Dog will deliver a game that won’t disappoint. I can’t wait until they release more information of the multiplayer, because right now that’s the only thing I can think of that may possibly disappoint me. Either way I’m completely content with my pre-order of the Post-Pandemic edition – willing to spend the big bucks to support ND!

+ Wozman23 on April 9th, 2013 at 7:48 am said:

Can’t wait for the game and accompanying art book!

The lighting does look gorgeous, however the sprite based foliage does have me curious to see what the power of next gen can do.

+ jimmy_falcone on April 9th, 2013 at 9:33 am said:

day1 digital?

+ fattytwenty on April 9th, 2013 at 9:57 am said:

I like all the ND games i have played so far(UC2,UC3,) others i can’t remember.
Great job on all the work you guys put into the ND franchise.
Just wondering if this game will have MP, and if not will this game be sold as Episodes?

+ Pabloo1010 on April 9th, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

Has anyone else noticed that Naughty Dog employees are really good looking? lol

+ Zacky-V-A7X on April 9th, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

The Last of Us looks beyond awesome! when we’ll start to see multiplayer stuff?

+ Original_Arkaido on April 9th, 2013 at 11:01 am said:

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! I am truly impressed and respect the effort put into the making of this game.

+ Cloudchaser808 on April 9th, 2013 at 2:47 pm said:

Amazing looking game and I already pre-ordered it. Has anyone gotten the demo to work on the God of War Ascension blu-ray disk? For me, it just gives me a count down to when the game comes out.

+ Welmosca on April 10th, 2013 at 1:33 am said:

Fantastic video,these are the types of videos that makes me even more excited with the game,the amount of work you guys put in the game just make me play and check every single detail and explore every nook and cranny…since the announcement at VGA’s TLoU is my most anticipated game….this game can be the best game ever…all my hopes are on you guys of UC2 team.I missed the last video so I’m rushing now to find it.June can’t come soon enough.

+ Strangeheaven on April 10th, 2013 at 5:42 am said:

At 03.51 The Lead Lighting Artist mentions Team Ico, I wonder if Team Ico are helping out.

+ GhostMachine1 on April 10th, 2013 at 9:53 am said:

I love these videos. So we should rewatch them when the game comes out due to them being longer for each one?

+ ForsakenSoul70 on April 14th, 2013 at 5:40 pm said:

I’m really looking forward to this game it seems like it’s going to be a blast, I don’t typically play these open world games, but I’ve been interested in this since last year. Everything they show about it has me even more interested in getting it.

+ Doc_Robby on April 26th, 2013 at 9:55 am said:

Great video. Great company. Great game. Now what’s with the ‘beard’ conspiracy amongst you men! Almost all of you have one! Is this an Illuminati, Tri Lateral Commision, New World Order, The Angry Amish way of taking over the world? Yes! Say the little purple dust mote men who tickle my brain. I’ll still play your game you nefarious programmers because I need to know your secret plans hidden in the game that reveal everything! Death to nerddom you geeky bearded bastards!

Other than that, have a nice day. :p