PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Castle of Illusion Coming to PSN This Summer

Mai Kawaguchi's Avatar + Posted by Mai Kawaguchi on Apr 15, 2013 // Sr. Digital Brand Manager, Sega

Castle of Illusion on PS3

Mickey Mouse is returning to star in Castle of Illusion, a fantastical HD reimagining of the classic Sega Genesis game. The game is scheduled to release in summer of 2013. We know that Castle of Illusion has a special place in many gamers’ hearts. Sega studios Australia is putting lots of care into this new 2D/3D game.

Our plan is to deliver a fully reimagined experience that takes advantage of the power of PS3 with all new graphics and new adventures, while at the same time making sure that the game maintains the Disney magic that the original Castle of Illusion captured in 1990.

We have also been working very closely with the director of the original game, who is now at Disney Interactive. We are having a blast working with her to realize many of the elements that were intended for the original game, but couldn’t be achieved until now due to the technical limitations of previous generation consoles. If you have played the original game, you will also see that we have kept intact many of the major iconic elements of the game that helped define this groundbreaking game at the time of its original release.

Look out for our developer interviews and behind the scenes videos to catch the Sega Studios Australia team and members of the original game development team share their experience working on Castle of Illusion.

Castle of Illusion on PS3

Castle of Illusion on PS3Castle of Illusion on PS3

65 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ omegasc on April 15th, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

Cool! :) My first ever Mega Drive game.

+ akisuo on April 15th, 2013 at 9:07 am said:

Looks awesome. Definately never played it the first time around, but I will fix that problem this time. So, will the original game be included in the remake by any chance? Also whats the chances of it coming to the vita, too? =)

+ Torgo on April 15th, 2013 at 9:13 am said:

Can’t wait!!!!

+ dallow on April 15th, 2013 at 9:17 am said:

What happened to the Vita version? There was initially a rating for that one as well as PS3.

+ Excalibur0123 on April 15th, 2013 at 9:18 am said:

Kingdom Hearts HD, Ducktales: Remastered, and now this. I hope there some sort of bundle for all of this cause I’m going to end up buying all of these games. Next thing I know you guys are going to end up remaking Mickey Mouse and the Magic Mirror (which would be awesome on so many levels)

+ vanwinkle on April 15th, 2013 at 9:19 am said:

No Vita version? Are you serious? UGH.

+ UncannySilk on April 15th, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

SWEET CHRIST. HOLY CHUNGUS. WHAT IS GOING ON?! IS THIS HAPPENING IN THE YEAR 2013?!! ZAAAAAAAAAAAA

DAY ONE . SCREW A PS+ SALE. BUYING THIS FULL PRICE. SO HYPE.

+ UncannySilk on April 15th, 2013 at 9:22 am said:

Also, ESRB has it rated for a Vita version, @6

+ vanwinkle on April 15th, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

@UncannySilk, I know, but it wouldn’t make sense to announce it on the Playstation Blog and not mention one of the platforms it’s releasing on. So I can only assume that they had it rated but it won’t actually release.

+ Sonicfan11589 on April 15th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

Just like Ducktales, I had never played this one either, I had played a Micky Mouse game or 2. Cool, can’t wait, Disney is really making magic again for the kid in all of us and for the kids of today.

+ ASC2175 on April 15th, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

Gimme….gimmegimmegimmegimme!! (>>_

+ somebignasty on April 15th, 2013 at 9:31 am said:

@4 @6 You’re thinking of Epic Mickey 2: Power of Two. This is a remake of an older game.

+ vanwinkle on April 15th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

@somebignasty, Castle of Illusion was rated by the ESRB for PS3, 360, Wii U, and Vita (maybe couple other platforms too, can’t remember, but I know Vita was in there).

+ Figboy on April 15th, 2013 at 9:36 am said:

Looks great, but I’m sorry, no Vita version, no buy. I’m 33. I don’t have much PS3 time these days, but I have plenty of time to game on my Vita on the commute to and from work. Unfortunately, if a game isn’t releasing on both the PS3 or Vita, I’m passing on it. I don’t care about cross buy, or you only pay once, so that’s not a problem, it’s the fact that I have over 100 games installed on my PS3, and I don’t play a single one of them, because I simply don’t have enough time to play more than a little bit of PS3 a night. I have a good 2-3 hours a day on the bus to play my Vita.

I’m sorry, the game really does look great, but I’ll wait for the Vita version. I don’t want this just adding to my PS3 backlog. I just beat Guacamelee Vita over the weekend, and will be picking up a few other games on the system this week (and then Soul Sacrifice at the end of this month). Nowadays, Vita is my primary gaming machine, while my PS3 has been relegated to Netflix duty (although I am slowly making my way through the new Tomb Raider and Ni No Kuni every once in a while).

+ Elvick_ on April 15th, 2013 at 9:51 am said:

After this was rated by the ESRB for Vita, I was so thrilled. Because I’m uber annoyed that Capcom skipped Vita for Ducktales HD.

Now this is just announced for PS3 here? Really?

Not pleased. No longer is Sega better than Capcom. You’re both equally lame.

+ dallow on April 15th, 2013 at 9:51 am said:

Also, Sega Studios Australia is being closed down. Good luck to them.

+ zingakun on April 15th, 2013 at 10:01 am said:

This kind of news reveals the estimated age range from most of users here xD

Can’t wait for more.

+ TwinDad on April 15th, 2013 at 10:04 am said:

I’d like to throw in a plead for Quackshot. The Disney platformers that were just awesome. I’m getting this and the Ducktales.

I Vita version would be purchased, but I’m not going to abandon it if there isn’t one.

+ NYPUNK88 on April 15th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

would love to have played this on my Vita. :(

+ Joao_Vicente on April 15th, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

I am 30 years old, I did not have time to play to much. If has a vita version I buy. Usually Ps3 user has more than 25 years, not having more time playing at home

+ IIL0YDII on April 15th, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

Vita version please

+ Godchild1020 on April 15th, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

I was hoping for a Vita version as well. After looking at those images, I really hope this comes to the Vita.

+ IzoGray on April 15th, 2013 at 4:37 pm said:

I would ONLY play this on Vita. Not interested in a PS3 version.

+ jeff_dorta on April 15th, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

Shut up and take my money!!

+ mmitch079 on April 15th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

Suit yourself IzoGray. I’m in for one on PS3.

+ my360broke_again on April 15th, 2013 at 5:02 pm said:

agreed. their are some games I just dont feel like playing on the console, but would be more than happy to play on Vita. I actully sold my Rayman for 360 and bought for the Vita.

+ xenosaga200 on April 15th, 2013 at 5:50 pm said:

i want ps vita version, i not buying this for ps3

+ JinchenUS1 on April 15th, 2013 at 5:57 pm said:

So nice. wait for it..

+ PrimeroIncognito on April 15th, 2013 at 6:10 pm said:

I love it when classic games get the re-make treatment. I’m looking forward to this, and Duck Tales as well.

+ neuropunk on April 15th, 2013 at 6:26 pm said:

Not sure if I ever played this, but I have played World of Illusion, however. Would be way cooler if you could play as Donald.

As far as DuckTales HD is concerned, I KEEP PUSHING MONEY INTO THE SCREEN BUT NOTHING HAPPENS!

+ ExHaseo on April 15th, 2013 at 6:39 pm said:

It’s cool that this is getting released, but I don’t like that it’s 3D. 2D games in 3D tend to feel awkward. I wish they had done what Capcom is doing with Ducktales, and just made everything hand drawn.

+ PrimeroIncognito on April 15th, 2013 at 6:57 pm said:

my360broke_again: “their are some games I just dont feel like playing on the console, but would be more than happy to play on Vita.”

Why? Please explain.

+ TriangleOffense on April 15th, 2013 at 7:17 pm said:

a mickey game worth playing …. sweet

+ ps_n_blog_ac on April 15th, 2013 at 7:29 pm said:

Never played castle of illusions but i have played world of illusions, which includes Donald (which i hope they’ll also make a HD remake as well) can’t wait

@32

well to be honest i’m that way too… i don’t know about you but for me platforming games (along with indie/or short games) just seem better on a mobile device (PS vita) i prefer AAA game on my console Excluding: Most RPG’s and PS All stars…

Just my opinion

+ PrimeroIncognito on April 15th, 2013 at 7:47 pm said:

ps_n_blog_ac on April 15th, 2013 at 7:29 pm said: “i don’t know about you but for me platforming games (along with indie/or short games) just seem better on a mobile device”

How are they better on a mobile device? I’m still not understanding. And believe me, I’m not trying to be rude or anything like that, I’m just seriously curious. All of this “I’d play this on my Vita but not on my PS3″ talk doesn’t make sense to me.

Perhaps I should explain my viewpoint first. To me, it just seems that if you could play the game on a bigger screen, hooked up to better speakers, on the couch or in your favorite cozy chair, etc., it just seems to me that would be the preferred method. Now, that doesn’t mean I’m knocking the Vita or portable gaming, in fact, I think it’s great, especially if you travel a lot. But if you’re at home and you have the choice, wouldn’t you go with the big screen? Another strange thing I’ve noticed is actually what you said about platform and indie games. Why is it that only those select few genres are what people seem to want on a mobile device but NOT AT ALL on the flagship console? Maybe I’m just out of touch with… something? I don’t know. It just seems kind of funny… :)

+ WarWithSociety on April 15th, 2013 at 7:52 pm said:

Vita version pleeeease

+ Demonhunter84 on April 15th, 2013 at 8:03 pm said:

Never played Castle of Illusion, only World of Illusion. Would be cool if we got World of Illusion in HD with redone graphics, used to play that with my brother.

+ ps_n_blog_ac on April 15th, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

@35 no i know this isn’t a argument ;) just a normal conversation

“To me, it just seems that if you could play the game on a bigger screen, hooked up to better speakers, on the couch or in your favorite cozy chair, etc., it just seems to me that would be the preferred method.”

*Note this is just my opinion. If you disagree i totally respect it

Games like these don’t really need a big screen or loud speakers they feel fine with a small screen with headphones. Most platforming games are usually casual, which are types of games that don’t cause a huge rush. So simply laying on your back on the couch/bed just feels better… Compared to games like for example Bioshock infinite: a game with lots of action, a huge world to explore, long interesting story, and etc. seems like a best choice for a big TV and loud speakers.

+ ps_n_blog_ac on April 15th, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

Note that i’m not criticizing small companies or platforming games it’s just that SOME games feel better on a mobile device/handheld compared to other games. Heck even classic games feel better on the vita. ( regardless this shouldn’t stop publishers from releasing their product on any device, if they want only a console version then so be it)

Regardless if this game only appears on the PS3 i might still pick it up ;)
-which i decide base on reviews, price, and my final opinion on the product.

+ ps_n_blog_ac on April 15th, 2013 at 8:42 pm said:

Also (just to add) an example of a game that should be on a console but it’s on the PS vita is Souls Sacrifice (my opinion) … but regardless i’m sure it will do fine on the vita but man if it was on the PS3/ PS4 (even better) i’m would of love to play that on the big screen :)

+ Rursa on April 15th, 2013 at 11:14 pm said:

No Vita version? meh 8(

+ RidleysBox on April 16th, 2013 at 12:54 am said:

Going to have to give this a go, classic Mickey in HD goodness.

+ wilfareus on April 16th, 2013 at 1:18 am said:

the lack of a Vita version is disappointing :(
would have like Cross-Buy, Cross-Save

+ Kchow23 on April 16th, 2013 at 1:26 am said:

PS Vita please :)

+ Mojlnir on April 16th, 2013 at 5:27 am said:

Like many others here, I would gladly get this game for Vita, but I don’t care for PS3 version. Indie and small 2.5d games like this fit perfectly on the Vita, while on PS3 I have a huge backlog on AAA games waiting to be played on my HDTV. I’m also 36 and I don’t have much time for gaming, so at home I want touch a game like this, but on the go it would be great, so I’ll pass on this, shame on you Sega.

I only hope that this is some kind of strategy from Sega to release it later so that WiiU / Vita player base gets stronger possibly by the end of the year, otherwise, I’ll be fine without it thanks.

+ Stargazr64 on April 16th, 2013 at 5:44 am said:

Would buy it on Vita (or likely 3DS).

Will not buy it otherwise.

+ iriihutoR84 on April 16th, 2013 at 5:46 am said:

Yeah, I agree with many others. 2-2.5D platformers are always better on portable consoles. Vita version please and I will pick this up!

+ TerraAshura on April 16th, 2013 at 6:23 am said:

Awesome news! I never played Castle of Illusion but World of Illusion was a classic I grew up with and loved as a child. Real excited for this one.

+ crazy_kracker1 on April 16th, 2013 at 6:36 am said:

Thank you Mai this was the one I wanted to play and forgot it even existed till you posted this. woot

+ StudPastry on April 16th, 2013 at 8:48 am said:

One of my favorite titles when I was a younger. The only thing to makes this news even sweeter is releasing it on the Vita as well.

PAGE 1 2