GTAV PS4

BEYOND: Two Souls Box Art Revealed

Derek Osgood's Avatar + Posted by Derek Osgood on Apr 18, 2013 // Associate Product Marketing Manager, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Today we’re very pleased to unveil our packshot for BEYOND: Two Souls, due for release in October for PlayStation 3.

Beyond: Two Souls for PS3 - Final box art

We worked together with the team at Quantic Dream to choose an image that we felt was both cinematic and in keeping with the emotional journey that the final game will take you on. We hope you like it.

Developing the pack front for a game like BEYOND is always an exciting challenge. BEYOND is so unique in the sense that it spans a character’s entire lifetime and takes place in such a vast array of locations and situations, that picking a singular image to represent the game effectively really does feel like digging for a needle in a haystack. What age do we want Jodie to be in the image? Do we include co-star Willem Dafoe? Do you show Jodie doing something dynamic or do we show her more at peace? These are all questions we had to ask ourselves throughout the process (among a great deal of other questions!).

Ultimately, we decided on the packshot you see above because it felt sophisticated, mature and different from most traditional game packaging, and it really captures the emotion Ellen Page conveyed in her performance as Jodie. The image of Jodie at peace in the eye of the storm really speaks to her constant battle with the incredible gift she’s been given.

Next week, on Saturday April 27th, BEYOND will be screened at the Tribeca Film Festival, followed by a panel featuring writer/director David Cage and actress Ellen Page. Stay tuned next week on PlayStation Blog for details of how you can watch this event via a live stream.

Any questions, please just ask away below.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ four24twenty on April 18th, 2013 at 8:04 am said:

Sweet box! I’m buying day 1 and doing my best to avoid further coverage. I want a surprise!

Derek Osgood's Avatar

+ Derek Osgood on April 18th, 2013 at 1:23 pm said:

Glad you all like it!

+ beef_child on April 18th, 2013 at 8:04 am said:

Me!!

+ Butters360 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

That is so sexy!

+ stlthriot on April 18th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

Looks great!! Can’t wait for this game!

+ urbanbuddha on April 18th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

I really like this cover art vs. most AAA game covers where its the main protagonist standing in the centre in full body view. e.g. (infamous, modern warfare, tomb raider, mass effect, etc.).

+ Jakintosh on April 18th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

Box art looks amazing, can’t wait for this game :D

+ BlindMango on April 18th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

Love it! Too bad this isn’t coming to the PS4, but I’m still definitely getting it!

+ eaglefan129 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

is this the first cover art that uses it’s voice actors as a way to advertize there product?

Derek Osgood's Avatar

+ Derek Osgood on April 18th, 2013 at 1:24 pm said:

They’re actually not just our voice actors ;). The actors in the game were all captured in full performance capture (same technique as the movie Avatar), so they’re true actors in the game.

+ that-acmilan-guy on April 18th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

Box could have been a lot better, but again I guess it is a similar situation to Bioshock Infinite pakagaing.

+ gerneric123 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

So you’re admitting it’s a movie by putting the actor’s names on the front of the box like that, right?

Derek Osgood's Avatar

+ Derek Osgood on April 18th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

Keep an eye out at E3, you’ll see that the gameplay is much deeper than just watching a series of cinematics.

+ four24twenty on April 18th, 2013 at 8:09 am said:

I think they are admitting it’s a video game by putting “PS3″ on the front.

+ johnnyblades on April 18th, 2013 at 8:09 am said:

BEYOND!!!

That is honestly one of the best box arts I have ever seen.

+ JDSSLP on April 18th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

How refreshing…box art without some over-stressed bro carrying an over-sized weapon, against an over-used two-color-toned backdrop. This looks great!

But one question: will there be a bonus secondary image on the other side? In other words, reversible?

+ DaMann22 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

BEYOND!!! (can’t believe it went 12 comments before the first)

Great cover. much better than NA heavy rain’s.

+ JimmyHACK on April 18th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

Any chance the same artwork will get used for the steelbook case?

Derek Osgood's Avatar

+ Derek Osgood on April 18th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

We’re still working on the steelbook case cover and judging a few options. It’s definitely something we’re considering though.

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on April 18th, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

Looks realllyy good!

+ Xcaligamer1 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:22 am said:

absolutely love the box art

+ dragonmagician on April 18th, 2013 at 8:22 am said:

Interesting, although I wonder if it is enough to get random people looking for games interested. Doesn’t matter for me, since I’ll be getting the steelbook version.

+ UncannySilk on April 18th, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

WHERE IS WILLEM DAFOE’S GLORIOUS GRIN OF MADNESS. WHY.
Welp. Canceling pre-order. I came for Dafoe, not this crap.

+ rangerfan7187 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

I can’t wait to see how this game turns out. The cover is pretty generic except for the inclusion of two Hollywood actors. This game could be really special. Definitely paying attention to this one.

+ Proxy5 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:26 am said:

Excellent design.

I design for a living, and there’s more going on than just a portrait with this cover art.

+ FearMonkey on April 18th, 2013 at 8:27 am said:

I love the cover! Thanks for the update. :)

+ bhaley83 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:33 am said:

I’m still not sold on the game, but I like the box art and it’s nice to see the voice/motion actors getting recognition. Now if only that could happen with all of the wonderful actors and actresses that have been working in the industry for years, and not just the big name people from Hollywood.

+ Berae on April 18th, 2013 at 8:33 am said:

Love it too, it looks very cinematic. I would have loved it on ps4, but Ill be getting it anyway.

+ ro-kurorai on April 18th, 2013 at 8:42 am said:

Wow, gorgeous cover! Thank you for choosing such a beautiful design. This is a d1p and I can’t frickin’ wait =)

+ XCLUSIVE14 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:43 am said:

Looks great, can’t wait until this game is released. Its going to be a really good year for Sony.

+ PainOfSarrow on April 18th, 2013 at 8:45 am said:

Game looks Amazing.

+ Craiji on April 18th, 2013 at 8:48 am said:

Thank you Sony for not enforcing what has become an industry standard box art (Guns). Quantic Dream, I think you may raise the ire of the DeFoe army though.

Derek Osgood's Avatar

+ Derek Osgood on April 18th, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

Your welcome! We did have some (VERY) early concepts pitched to us and Quantic that had guns involved, but those were scrapped very early in the process in favor of something more subtle.

+ Ryumoau on April 18th, 2013 at 8:51 am said:

looks like a good rental

+ ps_n_blog_ac on April 18th, 2013 at 9:00 am said:

beautiful :’) looks like a movie

+ Senjutsu_Dav on April 18th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

The box art is perfect!!! Man there is too much AAA games this year… From Last of Us to Beyond, passing by GTAV, Tales of Xilia, Assassin’s Creed IV, Destiny, Resident Evil Revelations, and all the remastered games I need to buy, like FFX-HD, Kingdom Hearts 1.5-HD… Man, I don’t have that much cash!! It’s intense! And now PS4 is coming, ouch. My wallet is gonna cry!!!

PS: I’ll get BEYOND on day one. I also lended Heavy Rain to a friend last week and he finished it twice in 48 hours. He’ll get BEYOND too, haha.

+ CaruthK on April 18th, 2013 at 9:10 am said:

The box art looks sick. I so want to play this game so bad.

+ zingakun on April 18th, 2013 at 9:10 am said:

Great movie!

Haha, just kidding. Can’t wait till October.

+ Ryumoau on April 18th, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

I also love how much David Cage tries to make his games feel like another art form (film) and forgets to actually work on what makes videogames such a unique experience, which is the gameplay.

Both Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy had awful gameplay and boring QTEs because the focus was too much on their equally generic story.

Hopefully Beyond will have actual gameplay this time.

+ GhostMachine1 on April 18th, 2013 at 9:13 am said:

So far, this is the best box art this year!

+ Edd_Leao on April 18th, 2013 at 9:17 am said:

So she is not holding a gun and there are no explosions?
No interest, won’t buy.

Jokes apart, this box art is absolutely GORGEOUS!
Can’t wait to play this game!

+ reson8er on April 18th, 2013 at 9:22 am said:

This makes up for the North American Heavy Rain box art, great job!

+ Gadirok on April 18th, 2013 at 9:25 am said:

I hope you guys don’t have a major spoiler because some playstation hating/[insert worst hardware/ rehashing sequels company here] completely spoiled heavy rain for me. I wasn’t too frustrated since the game was still good, but man that ending would have completely caught me off guard if I didn’t hear about it before hand.

Ugh.

I heard bioshock;Infinite did something similar between the relationship of Booker and Elizabeth so I’m kinda screwed there too.

I hate when people spoil things.

Derek Osgood's Avatar

+ Derek Osgood on April 18th, 2013 at 1:30 pm said:

Best way to avoid that is to pick it up day 1 and finish it before folks can spoil it for you ;). But yes, it’s always unfortunate when people go out and broadcast twists in a game. Just know that we won’t be spoiling any of the bigger twists before the game releases.

+ BossmanCCrowder1 on April 18th, 2013 at 9:31 am said:

Great looking box!

+ wilfareus on April 18th, 2013 at 9:39 am said:

lovely boxart :D

+ jose213jose on April 18th, 2013 at 9:42 am said:

100% buy, I love great storytelling games that pack punch.

+ OmegaSpear on April 18th, 2013 at 9:47 am said:

What about a Ps4 version?

+ spliter84 on April 18th, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

@four24twenty – That’s exactly what I’m trying to do, my dear friend!!! But it’s not easy to avoide watching videos of this masterpiece!

+ Stringer2355 on April 18th, 2013 at 9:54 am said:

I see there is NO “Move” support

+ dodgedoors on April 18th, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

@Ryumoau at this point I pretty much preorder anything you complain about or dislike. You don’t like David Cage yippee. I also loved all the trashing of Ken Levine you did last month. It’s like that buzzkill at the party that can’t help himself but tell you why you shouldn’t like things because of his opinion and then doesn’t stop. STOP please.

+ Logan22 on April 18th, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

Will the front of the GameStop steelbook have the same image? I hope so, I love it.

+ pOcHo_OX on April 18th, 2013 at 10:19 am said:

I’m buying day 1!!!!!! beautiful!!

+ Senjutsu_Dav on April 18th, 2013 at 10:22 am said:

Playstation 4 release too?

I wonder, since PS4 won’t play PS3 games directly, we will need to stream them. I really hope all good ps3 games that get released this year will get a PS4 version as well. Not with better graphics or anything, just the same game on a PS4 disc to play the game directly from the disc.

+ Heavenly_king on April 18th, 2013 at 10:58 am said: