PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

BEYOND: Two Souls Box Art Revealed

Derek Osgood's Avatar + Posted by Derek Osgood on Apr 18, 2013 // Associate Product Marketing Manager, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Today we’re very pleased to unveil our packshot for BEYOND: Two Souls, due for release in October for PlayStation 3.

Beyond: Two Souls for PS3 - Final box art

We worked together with the team at Quantic Dream to choose an image that we felt was both cinematic and in keeping with the emotional journey that the final game will take you on. We hope you like it.

Developing the pack front for a game like BEYOND is always an exciting challenge. BEYOND is so unique in the sense that it spans a character’s entire lifetime and takes place in such a vast array of locations and situations, that picking a singular image to represent the game effectively really does feel like digging for a needle in a haystack. What age do we want Jodie to be in the image? Do we include co-star Willem Dafoe? Do you show Jodie doing something dynamic or do we show her more at peace? These are all questions we had to ask ourselves throughout the process (among a great deal of other questions!).

Ultimately, we decided on the packshot you see above because it felt sophisticated, mature and different from most traditional game packaging, and it really captures the emotion Ellen Page conveyed in her performance as Jodie. The image of Jodie at peace in the eye of the storm really speaks to her constant battle with the incredible gift she’s been given.

Next week, on Saturday April 27th, BEYOND will be screened at the Tribeca Film Festival, followed by a panel featuring writer/director David Cage and actress Ellen Page. Stay tuned next week on PlayStation Blog for details of how you can watch this event via a live stream.

Any questions, please just ask away below.

+ Miggy11 on April 18th, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

Its nice having my waifu on the cover of a game.

+ GeoDarky on April 18th, 2013 at 11:13 am said:

Well done guys such a beautiful cover, Day 1 purchase of course

+ Kchow23 on April 18th, 2013 at 11:47 am said:

Cool box art looks like a movie!! :)

+ RR99i on April 18th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

I love the final box art. Can’t wait, going to be a great experience! :)

+ Lugoves on April 18th, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

I want the PS4 version to be better not the same. The Last of Us is coming out soon enough I’ll get that on PS3, but everything after that This included if it has a PS4 version [Not port] I want it on the PS4 … please let us know if/when or details of a PS4 version..

+ apoco_483 on April 18th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

If you guys came to david cages preivious work looking for great gameplay, you’re sad. They’re not about the gameplay.

+ NateDtail91 on April 18th, 2013 at 12:42 pm said:

Seeing the box art just made my mind to go ahead and buy it. Cant wait!!!

+ magicx11 on April 18th, 2013 at 12:48 pm said:

Great job on the cover. I hope Quantic Dream become a first party studio.

+ AizawaYuuichi on April 18th, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

Amazing boxart. I like how the composition looks simple in passing, but there’s actually a lot being conveyed by the individual elements. Very impressive for something so minimal.
Have had this pre-ordered since it was announced. It’ll probably be the last game I get for PS3, so really looking forward to it. October can’t come soon enough. :)

+ JROD0823 on April 18th, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

This is the first excellent Blog post that I have seen in quite some time.

This cover art is superb, it really couldn’t have been done any better.

I’m so excited for this game.

+ Kchow23 on April 18th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

Will it have art work on the inside of the box art? :P

+ Mando44646 on April 18th, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

great boxart! I cant wait! Though this is annoying that is comes out just as the PS4 does yet is not playable on the PS4 :/

+ The-Sigma-Alpha on April 18th, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

Is this a movie or a game? Cuz this clearly looks like its being sold as a movie..lol.

+ TwinDad on April 18th, 2013 at 1:57 pm said:

I think it looks okay.

@Craiji,

The industry standard to put put a person on the cover. There have been a few games released over seas that have scenery for the cover, but we get a person.

In fact one of them was Heavy Rain.

+ sonicman97 on April 18th, 2013 at 2:14 pm said:

Will there be add-on to the game.

+ sonicman97 on April 18th, 2013 at 2:19 pm said:

Will Beyond Two Souls get add-on content

+ badkev_07 on April 18th, 2013 at 2:37 pm said:

Wow this Cover looks amazing it truly can be picture of a million words, exited about the game cant wait.

+ lyfestory on April 18th, 2013 at 2:49 pm said:

one of the few games im looking forward to this year.. October is gonna be rough since GTA5 is also due out…

+ Satnamji on April 18th, 2013 at 3:19 pm said:

Still pre-ordered since the first day the product page went live on Amazon. But like many others here, avoiding further coverage to avoid spoilers (I already wish I hadn’t watched last year’s E3 mini-demo).

+ Satnamji on April 18th, 2013 at 3:20 pm said:

Great cover, BTW. Excellent argument for physical copy over digital version.

+ M-Easy on April 18th, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

Day 1 buy and most likely the last game I ever buy on the PS3. Way to close it out QD.

+ tusunami on April 18th, 2013 at 4:06 pm said:

This box art is awesome, I like the close up of Ellen Paige’s face.

+ RageMyGoddess on April 18th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

A very beautiful box art. : )

+ Pabloo1010 on April 18th, 2013 at 5:03 pm said:

With 2 well known actors, this game has fantastic potential for it’s marketing campaign.

+ CyberGhostface on April 18th, 2013 at 5:08 pm said:

Do you have an idea of when we’ll get more information on the steelbook/limited edition release?

Also do you know if there will be future DLCs or rereleases beyond the Gamestop exclusive?

Derek Osgood's Avatar

+ Derek Osgood on April 19th, 2013 at 9:58 am said:

That information will all be coming soon, stay tuned!

+ saab01 on April 18th, 2013 at 5:22 pm said:

I love the box art hopefully we will be seeing more game play soon.

+ UnholyBahamut on April 18th, 2013 at 5:24 pm said:

I love it, especially because it’s one of the few game covers that have a girl in it.

+ oo7PorscheMGS on April 18th, 2013 at 5:37 pm said:

This is a DEFINITE BUY UNLESS it has a MAJOR PLOT HOLE just like Heavy Rain did… I STILL can NOT believe how such a great game AND story was RUINED by such an OBVIOUS plot hole in Heavy Rain (the twist). It’s really sad, because the game was so unique / could have been GREAT, instead of just “interesting / good” … Lets hope Mr. Cage got his StoryTelling skills together this time… because really… if Heavy Rain was a MOVIE or a BOOK it would have gotten TERRIBLE reviews… does anyone agree with me or am I the only one that cares about A GOOD + LOGICAL story in a game that is ALL ABOUT the story effecting the game?????

+ plaztiksyke on April 18th, 2013 at 5:58 pm said:

I really like this art better than the North America art for Heavy Rain (aka “BREASTS!!! LOOK AT THEM!!!”).

Will there be Alternate Reality Games as part of the marketing for this like there was for Heavy Rain? I really enjoyed that tie-in.

+ PrimeroIncognito on April 18th, 2013 at 6:19 pm said:

That’s a really beautiful shade of blue…

+ PrimeroIncognito on April 18th, 2013 at 6:23 pm said:

@ dodgedoors

You should read his comment on the Black Rock Shooter post. I laughed… then sighed… then facepalmed…

Silly Goofus, he just doesn’t have a clue…

+ Prophet_Alan on April 18th, 2013 at 6:59 pm said:

huhu,everybody love ellen page

+ Elvick_ on April 18th, 2013 at 7:13 pm said:

Looks awesome.

+ D-Squad3 on April 18th, 2013 at 8:33 pm said:

Very artistic, hope you guys make a contest on your box art for your PS4 title, I would definitely submit one. :)

+ RE_Player on April 18th, 2013 at 9:11 pm said:

Looks excellent. Simple yet tells you what the game wants to achieve. Glad Willem Dafoe is getting his name on the box along with Ellen Page.

I was late to the party on Heavy Rain, bought it when it became a Greatest Hit, but loved it and remains one of my top games. This is day 1 for me.

+ YorlecmNwahs on April 18th, 2013 at 10:27 pm said:

Go to Google

Search “Let’s Get FlatOut Head On PS Vita Compatible”

Click on the first result.

Sign the petition please.

+ kdiep on April 18th, 2013 at 10:54 pm said:

Ugh, (like Heavy Rain) I bet Europe is going to get a much better cover art again. This one is not to my liking.

+ iREVOLTER on April 19th, 2013 at 3:23 am said:

Can’t wait to play the game.

P.S: Great Boxart.

+ bubbagoesmoo on April 19th, 2013 at 11:09 am said:

There’s so much going on if you really take the time to appreciate the box art. She may look calm, but there’s chaos around her. I think it explains the game very well. Well done. :)

+ rj9797 on April 19th, 2013 at 3:26 pm said:

I know more info on the steelbook cover is coming, but if we do get that edition from some retailers will it also include this case and cover?

+ KPRINTZ on April 19th, 2013 at 5:09 pm said:

Sweet boxart, part of the main reasons why i have a PS3 and favor only Playstation is because of this game and Heavy Rain. (David Cage is the Christopher Nolan of videogames in my opinion.) Keep up the good work you guys!!

+ shionpaula on April 19th, 2013 at 6:05 pm said:

Looks really amazing!
Really loved how the cover is kinda “colorful” but its still strong and really intrigues you even more to go play the game! <3

Also liked the "movie" approach showing the names of the actors behind the HD cinematics.

Its a day1 for me! I'm sure it will amaze me even more than Heavy Rain :D

(Beyond Two Souls and Last of Us will be the must buy for me this year)

+ shionpaula on April 19th, 2013 at 6:06 pm said:

Exactly what I felt bubbagoesmoo! Amazing art!

+ ElektroDragon on April 19th, 2013 at 11:24 pm said:

THANKS for not putting a guy with a gun on the cover!!! :)

But I have a better idea. The cover should have just said DAFOE on it in huge letters above a huge disembodied grin. It would sell billions.

+ Bigmoose1985 on April 19th, 2013 at 11:47 pm said:

Last time i checked video games aren’t &have never been movies….. i wish david cage would piss off with this crap.

+ DarienIsKing on April 20th, 2013 at 8:30 am said:

The box art looks amazing, can’t wait for this game to be released. In my honest opinion I believe this will be one of the greatest video games ever created. It’s a real powerhouse of a game, really shows off the capabilities of our PS3 systems. Oh and I hope they can incorporate some sort of offline and online multiplayer modes, maybe with multiple user sign ins, with players who play on the same console? Maybe? But yeah the cover looks great, can’t wait to own a copies of BEYOND: Two Souls, sure to be one of my all time favorites.

+ superiordeionv on April 20th, 2013 at 2:05 pm said:

these kind of games are going to change the way of future gaming. keep up the work sony and stay strong to entertainment and gaming thank you very much for announcing the ps4 and the games. (^o^) watch dogs all day everyday. thank you like the cover.

+ DarienIsKing on April 20th, 2013 at 5:46 pm said:

One more comment, I am so infatuated with this title…. ok that’s all. Keep the great games coming.

+ dyiing4life on April 20th, 2013 at 11:59 pm said:

Can we still get the steelbook pre order?

+ Firecrest on April 21st, 2013 at 1:54 am said:

Will there be reverse cover art with David Cage gently kissing Willem Dafoe on the forehead? I hope so. :(