PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

First Video: Ratchet & Clank Movie Hits Theaters 2015

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on Apr 23, 2013 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

One of the biggest questions we’ve gotten in the last few years is “When are you going to make a Ratchet & Clank movie?” The truth is, we’ve wanted to do a movie for a long time! Ratchet & Clank’s action, humor and galaxy-spanning adventures have really been the basis for a fantastic game series, and we think it’d translate perfectly to the big screen.

We’ve been looking for the right partner to help us bring a Ratchet & Clank movie to life, and we’re thrilled to announce that Blockade Entertainment and Rainmaker Entertainment are currently in production on Ratchet & Clank’s first cinematic adventure. Insomniac is honored to play a hands-on role with the film’s production, screenplay, character development, and animation consulting. Furthermore, our own Ratchet & Clank writer, T.J. Fixman, who has written all of the recent Ratchet & Clank games, is writing the script for the film as well.

But don’t take my word for it — check out our teaser above.

There will be much to come on the Ratchet & Clank movie as we get farther into production and closer to its release. Thanks for all your support of the franchise over the last 10 years, without you, there wouldn’t be a movie!

+ dorkgeniuz21 on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:49 am said:

This is good because it will bring in more fans who watch movie and havent played the games…Assuming it doesnt seem too kidish to the older generation…

+ Tchanku on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

I’ve never really played this series but that looks funny. :)

+ Darig0n on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

I really hope this doesn’t ruin the series like all movies do.. Also, can’t wait for the deadlocked news and FFA vita thing. I’m only missing one ratchet game and its size matters.. hope that goes on sale.

+ Kchow23 on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:19 am said:

The movie looks great! after beating a Crack in Time, I knew that Rachet and Clank needed a CG movie since it looked like a Pixar movie :)

+ eddieanton on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

My dream finally comes true!, can’t freaking wait!, put skrunch in there somewhere!

+ eddieanton on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

+ PhoenixDowny on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:53 am said:

Ratchet and Clank Size Matters PSP was my first introduction to the R&C franchise but I feel in love with it instantly and Tools of Destruction on the PS3 just took me to heaven and today’s announcement has me in Nerdvana yet again. I’m definitely shocked that Sony Computer Animation isn’t producing but that above teaser was hilarious and it has certainly won me over; heck we’re BLESSED to have a R&C movie on the way to theaters.

Anyway, it’d be nice if we could get a seriously well developed Ratchet and Clank game on the PS Vita with CrossBuy, online multiplayer and CROSS PLAY between the PS3, PS4 and PS Vita. Oh, and btw I pray Sony will fast track the Vita release of R&C Full Frontal Assault because it was originally said it would launch on Vita in the Spring and yet we are still waiting.

+ DocEggman on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

Makes me wanna go plat ToD again :)

+ Bob_the_Almighty on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

I love Ratchet and Clank. I own every game (the 4 PS2 originals, both PSP titles, and 5 PS3 games to include the HD Collection). I’ve been telling my wife for years (she loves them too!) that Ratchet and Clank would make an amazing movie experience.

Best of luck to everyone involved and let’s hope this turns into a movie franchise.

+ AizawaYuuichi on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:06 pm said:

“Motherboop on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:29 am said:
Is there gonna be a platinum? :D”

Haha! Best idea ever! The movie should totally have a little pop-up at the end of the credits, awarding a platinum trophy for watching the whole thing. It could even be titled “You took the WHOLE thing!” in keeping with the suggestive nature of your game titles. :D

+ Elvick_ on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

Okay, this makes me so happy. A bit bummed you’re going with the ‘new’ ‘new’ Ratchet design. At least Clank doesn’t have an enormous head! So yay~ Quark looks really good.

Looking forward to this, I might actually go to the theaters again. And for me that’s huge since I hate going.

Please, PLEASE give us some PS4 Ratchet and Clank. ;_;

+ CodeJerry on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:16 pm said:

I think this is just what Ratchet and clank needed to boost is popularity. The fact that the game is only PS nearly most kids this generation have grown up without them because of the Wii and there motion control games. Ratchet ranks up in my top 10 heroes and no other game can combine shooting and platforming like this series.

+ LURKING_WOLF on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:17 pm said:

wow im just glad its not a live movie like those other ones
this is how video game movies should be made ^_^b awesome
cant wait i love to see my favorite games on the big screen but i hate wating
for so long i would like to see a killzone film like this uncharted resistance as well
you guys could make sly and crash
also ^_^b

+ viceforce on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

Playstation Plus members should get tickets in advance.

Also next they’ll needs to be a Sly Cooper Movie.

+ Pabloo1010 on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

If The Crood’s can be commercially successful, so can this! lol

Seriously, ABOUT DAMN TIME INSOMNIAC! Congrats!

+ arrownoir on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:27 pm said:

Please, please do not dumb down the humor
a lot of shows do that nowadays, and it just makes the material look bad
I want good retro Ratchet humor, does were the best, and they were smart comedy

You guys should also use the Future series ratchet, he looked the best; best blend of seriousness and cuteness

+ J-Wat on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

I really like R&C, but why isn’t the story of Heavenly Sword getting a movie not getting as much love? That game’s story is so good it should be live action.

+ Keitaro004 on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

Please make it rated PG-13. Labeling it as PG would put it on the same level as all those other sucky movies like “The Smurfs”, “The Flintstones” “Yogi Bear” or *shrieks* “HEY ARNOLD THE MOVIE!!!!”

I hope the same amount of heavy innuendo as in Ratchet & Clank 3!

+ Keitaro004 on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

*for the same amount

+ Suicide_Surfer on April 23rd, 2013 at 1:15 pm said:

Guys…no matter how bad this movie is, PLEASE go see it. If it bombs, I think we might not get any more ratchet games. If it does good, we might get another game!

+ Freshh23 on April 23rd, 2013 at 1:24 pm said:

Ratchet and Clank has just recently become one of my all time favorite franchises. I’m so glad a movie is being made for this truly one of the best franchises of all time and hope more epic games will be made.
It sucks the movie will release in 2015 though.

I would like to add, wouldn’t it make just as much sense or maybe even more sense to make an Uncharted, God of War and Infamous movie? Especially considering both Uncharted and God of War movies have been in development for a very long time now. I would also love for Jaffee to make the Twisted Metal movie he wanted to make of Sweet Tooth as a serial killer.

On Heavenly Sword, his is a franchise that deserves way more and better than low budget, low production values and direct to video release. Not to mention, the franchise is so epic and good, it’s story, characters, etc that it makes so much more sense to give a full theater budget and release.

+ andres74 on April 23rd, 2013 at 2:15 pm said:

wheres my full fontral assalt for my vita!!!1

+ LDemonicI on April 23rd, 2013 at 2:58 pm said:

Awesome. Love ratchet and clank. They should be on the vita just saying. Cant wait for the movie.

+ Hooligantuan on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:01 pm said:

Oh my god, I didn’t even know I wanted this until today.

I hope it’s awesome, and I hope you saved Nefarious for if a sequel gets greenlit.

+ Hooligantuan on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:04 pm said:

Pretty much, Ratchet & Clank is a game that scratched the itch that a good 3-D Mega Man game never got around to scratching, but it did it with a cast of strong characters and numerous imaginative and visually interesting environments, all wrapped around ridiculous, villainous plots that never quite stooped to caricature.

+ PnDTOWN on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:11 pm said:

Ratchet
&Clank

I can’t wait for this movie!
I have been a Ratchet & Clank since Going Commando (Sadly :\)
I later played the first after playing Up Your Arsenal
I have a few questions , Will it still be James Arnold Taylor playing Ratchet?
I have another, Why do all my new lines start with ‘I’

…By the way , since I’m here , I’m just going to ask,
how did James Arnold Taylor get his job voice acting Ratchet?
and what happened to the original voice actor for Ratchet , Mikey Kelley?
…Wow I type too much

+ PnDTOWN on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:14 pm said:

COUGH* Ratchet and Clank Fan since Going Commando
I put “Sadly” because I should have played the first one when it had came out
I love Ratchet and Clank
But was unimpressed with FFA.
All 4 One had kept me busy
(Ironically enough) XD
I own the collection now and I am happy to replay these good memories. :)

+ ydmfg_studios on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:15 pm said:

“+ James Stevenson on April 23rd, 2013 at 7:27 am said:
It’s sort of a retelling and re-fleshing out of the origin story, if that makes sense”

This is bad. Already a failure point. Those of us that already know the origins don’t need it rehashed. We’ve already seen in the past 10+ years – 2 reboots of Batman — Spider-Man — X-Men — Hulk — Superman and others.

How many times do we need to see Peter Parker getting bit by some variation of a radioactive spider then practicing during (an hour of movie time) how to use his new spider junk ? How many times do we need to see the ironic anguish of how he caused Uncle ben to die ?

Those that do not know the origin story – can go look it up later – on their own time.

If you plan on rehashing old content – you most likely will not get my money.

better idea would be to make a new original storyline set in the R&C Universe that was as compelling as the original trilogy OR FUTURE storyline.

I was mildy hopeful about the announcement until I saw your comment response.

+ HScorpio on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:18 pm said:

How about you spend you time working on getting me the game on my Vita first. I’ve been waiting forever. Then you can talk about a movie.

+ CronicDemise on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:21 pm said:

I wasn’t expecting to get anything on my 20th birthday because I’m away at college, but this is such great news, I can’t contain myself. I’ve been playing all the R&C games on my PS2 recently, so I’m even more stoked. Thank’s for the unintentional birthday present, Insomniac :)

+ One_Ub3r-Sausage on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:29 pm said:

I know everyone is stoked about this happening but I really need to voice some concern… the character models look terrible just like a4O and FFA – Please Insomniac fix this, don’t let it be the new look

+ simplythebest93 on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:40 pm said:

Yeeesssss!!! Can’t wait, huuuugeeee fan of the series!!! Played them all, loved them all!!! Thank you Mr. Stevenson and the rest of the team!!

+ gokugt25 on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:41 pm said:

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS AWESOMEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

+ Wozman23 on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

Awesome news! I’d have preferred a story with Nefarious as the villain, but I guess that means I should just keep my fingers crossed for a sequel or two. Hopefully we can get another traditional game too.

Until then, bring on the Fuse.

+ appleboy2000 on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:02 pm said:

Now now everyone, sop complaining about FFA for the PS Vita. Instead, complain about FFA not being for the PSP. It is more tasteful and shows that you are wise for keeping your old technology.

On the subject, IS there going to be another Rachet and Clank game for PSP or has production been cut off for it?

+ appleboy2000 on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:06 pm said:

*That moment when you feel the urge to correct the misspelling in your last comment but do not want to stick out as someone with two comments in a row and look like a comment box spammer*

+ mjc0961 on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:08 pm said:

“In additional celebration of the film’s announcement and to tide you over until the premiere, we’ll be offering a sale on all Ratchet & Clank games on PSN the week of April 30 – more details to come! Speaking of more details to come, we know you’re still patiently waiting for Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault and Ratchet: Deadlocked. While we don’t have any news to share today, stay tuned!”

Okay, that’s cool. Nothing for fans of Ratchet and Clank like me who already own all the games, then. Not even finally giving us the free game you promised us, apparently. Just another lame “stay tuned”, which, at this point, are starting to feel insanely empty and a movie I’ve never seen a single fan ask for.

You know what, just call me when the next new game is coming out. I’ll try my best to buy it while forgetting about this whole Full Frontal Assault and Deadlocked disaster.

+ SonicTheNanobot2 on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:35 pm said:

This looks awesome. Ratchet looks a bit younger for some reason, something about his face, but it still looks good and as this is set during the first one it makes some sense. Also please please please let us see the Japanese version when the Blu ray comes out. I want to see those black eyebrows.

+ AgentX on April 23rd, 2013 at 5:22 pm said:

This is excellent news! I’ve been a HUGE fan of the Ratchet & Clank games, and I’m very happy to hear about this movie deal. Here’s hoping that it turns out to be a great success for everyone involved.

+ willdey213 on April 23rd, 2013 at 5:30 pm said:

Hey James, just a quick question, what happen’s when the film is ahead of schedule

+ gameman15 on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:04 pm said:

I’ve been a fan of the Ratchet and Clank series since my brother and I playing the multiplayer mode of the Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal back in middle school, and I’m proud that you’re making it into a movie. Maybe when it’s near completion, you should send it to a movie company (possibly Columbia Pictures) and they’ll have it released.

+ snakesmullet on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:14 pm said:

BEST-NEWS-EVER!!!
Insomniac, pls give us Ratchets until the end of time, love you guys!
PS4 Ratchet announcement next please….

+ jml_809 on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:51 pm said:

I’m guessing that this movie is going to be the video game movie that will end the line of bad video game movies. Heck the trailer has great humor and also this is from Rainmaker Entertainment who are the makers of the first CG TV shows, Reboot and Beast Wars. I know Escape From Planet Earth sucked but that movie had a really troubled development. The same troubled development is the only way the movie can become ruined but judging by the trailer being released now, it’s not going to happen.

+ tusunami on April 23rd, 2013 at 6:57 pm said:

This would be epic I tell you on so many levels!!!!!

+ PhoenixDowny on April 23rd, 2013 at 7:11 pm said:

@Keitaro004, It isnt’ necessary for a movie to be PG-13 simply to be good. We’ve had some very incredible PG rated movies lately, the most notable of which are the Shrek movies which I personally think really raised the bar of quality for animated PG films.

Your negative statement toward PG animated films is absolutely unfounded and totally unintelligent and not to mention sincerely uninformed. In the last few years we’ve enjoyed a plethora of high quality PG films such as How To Train Your Dragon, Rio, Tangled, Despicable Me, MegaMind, The Polar Express and Sony’s very own Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. Also just because video games to movies have failed and fallen flat doesn’t mean that Sony’s endeavor to take Ratchet and Clank from the PlayStation to the Box Office is a bad attempt. We’ve already seen a video game movie done solidly right with Disney’s Wreck It Ralph which is indeed the most successful and beautifully executed video game movie marriage to date. If Sony and it’s partners use ingenuity, wit and creativity to the best of their abilities in a labor of love I believe that this Ratchet and Clank movie will and can be a great success.

+ SOUP_32 on April 23rd, 2013 at 7:49 pm said:

As a huge fan of both ReBoot and Ratchet & Clank, I couldn’t be more excited for this to happen :D.

+ Fantasy2114 on April 23rd, 2013 at 9:01 pm said:

voy a llorar… son mi heroes!!!!
jamas pense que se podia hacer algo asi!!!!
han revivido mis ganas de vivir!!!!
traslate:
I will cry … us are my heroes!!
never thought you could do something like that!!
have revived my will to live!!

+ CONTOM-X on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:27 pm said:

soo… Spring is over soon… is FFA Vita really gonna get delayed even MORE? Tin Giant studios clearly is another term for “does not exist”

+ GhostMachine1 on April 24th, 2013 at 1:07 am said:

The dubstep part was hilarious!

+ NAMEK on April 24th, 2013 at 1:20 am said:

If this is as funny as the games, count me in. Loved Crack in Time.