PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

DualShock 4: Developers Speak

Scott Rohde's Avatar + Posted by Scott Rohde on Apr 25, 2013 // SVP of Product Development, Worldwide Studios America, SCEA

We are incredibly excited about PlayStation 4, and we can’t wait to share more features and details with you as we get closer to launch.

As you know, one of the first major reveals during PlayStation Meeting 2013 was the new DualShock 4 Wireless Controller. Today, we’re pleased to share a brand new video where developers discuss some of their favorite DualShock 4 features, what makes each feature unique and how it will make your gameplay experience much more dynamic.

Be sure to come back and visit PlayStation.Blog for the latest news and updates.

114 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ the_Law2011 on April 26th, 2013 at 5:11 pm said:

I really am not liking the new controller, or the PS4 so far. Sure some of the features I do like, but so far, I’m not buying a PS4. I have plenty of Ideas for the PS4, but this design, I’m not happy with, I’m not impressed, and I’m VERY dissapointed.

+ Kchow23 on April 27th, 2013 at 12:58 am said:

Can’t wait to see the touchpad in action :)

+ PS_man1984 on April 27th, 2013 at 8:55 am said:

How will Virtual Console… er PS1/PS2 Classics work without a Start and Select button? Will the “Share” function be disabled while playing PS1/PS2 Classic games? The “Share” functionality could work easily by pressing the PS button. No need for a dedicated button.

The touchpad in the middle looks ugly and seems useless outside of RTS games and web browser features.

Sony seems to be putting too much focus on the controller, much like Nintendo did with the Wii U GamePad.

+ BlueBl1zzard on April 27th, 2013 at 1:52 pm said:

@PS_man1984 Well being that 99.99% of the time that you’re playing a game you’re using the controller, I would hope they spend some time/resources making it good. And like others have said, the “Options” button could function as a Start/Select button. They could also assign it to the touch pad, kinda like how vita allows you to assign actions to the touch screen while playing PS1/PSP games.

+ CommandingTiger on April 28th, 2013 at 5:55 pm said:

Keep motion sensors in it, have 9 just like the move controller.
Also, have the gaming industry support all theses features and the ps move.
Sixaxis was a bust, you gave up on it after the awfull reviews Lair got, it merely became an small option.
Don’t let that happen again with this controller.

As for the PS4 itself, I know you’ll be going with an 8 cores precessor, personally, I would have gotten with a high end 6 cores instead and have it upgradable afterwards. But that’s just me.

+ CommandingTiger on April 28th, 2013 at 6:04 pm said:

In any case, is a High Capacity HDD really necessary?

I mean, people are just going to buy what’s the cheapest console they can get anyways.
But with Sony buying Gaikai and having a lot of stuff cloud-based, it doesn’t seem like a “must-have”
It would probably be better if we go with a cheaper flash card with the option to add an hdd later on.

Just look at the success around, was a Hdd really necessary to sell consoles?
Just look at the success of the PS2 VS Xbox, PS2 had a 8Mb memory card you had to pay 20$ more, but Xbox price was higher, so they sold less.

Xbox arcade of 4Gb is a success due to it’s lower price. You realeased a 12Gb PS3 at 200$ and that was a success. People don’t wanr to pay a high initial price. And a high capacity HDD is just an handicap wheel.
Have the option of both, don’t built the initial models on flash, keep it as a trump card to counter your competition’s offering.

Personally, I’d much rather take a flash based PS4 and add my own HDD that’s much higher in capacity.
If the PS4 had 2 HDD slots, that’d be even better.

+ CommandingTiger on April 28th, 2013 at 6:09 pm said:

Here’s what most important for the console itself:

1-CPU Motherboard (Cores)
2-GPU Graphic Card
3-Disc Blu Ray
4-Ram
5-HDD Memory
6-everything else (USB)

Not talikng about the controller, just te main machine.

But most of all, a low price and quality hardware.

+ BDG420 on April 28th, 2013 at 6:31 pm said:

We have seen the controller several times, but when will we see the PS4 itself?

+ CommandingTiger on April 29th, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

The PS4 needs at the basic, PS1/PS2 capacities.

There a second core engine made specifiaclly to record your gameplay.
what I’m thinking, if we are to make a deluxe PS4 model, can it be used as a DVR?
The Basic and Medium Ps4 would not have that capacity, but for thoses willing to pay up more, can that be added as a feature where it could record Cable TV/Fiber TV while you are playing a game.

That would be cool, but it’s just a tough.

+ jose33mc on May 1st, 2013 at 9:13 pm said:

Guys the start and select will probably appear on the touch pad when playing ps1, ps2, and ps3 games

+ shadow0508 on May 2nd, 2013 at 5:33 am said:

it could be pretty sweet if you could pause by simply lay the controller on the taple :3 (or whatever ground) (sorry for my english)

+ CrazyGunner720 on May 5th, 2013 at 4:44 pm said:

i want to get the ps4 but i dont know how much it’s going to cost my one friend told me it’s going to by like $599.00 if this true i’m not going to get because i can’t afford it if it’s that much.

+ martinsaenz96 on May 6th, 2013 at 8:58 pm said:

Games i want for the PS4 (Littlebigplanet 3, Beyond Two Souls, Red Dead Redemption 2, Saints Row 4, ModNation Racers 2, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Call of Duty MW4, Call of Duty Ghost, Journey 2, & God of War). It doesn’t have to be all these but im just giving some ideas of what games to add to the PS4 console.

+ Mm-Mansoor-mM on May 14th, 2013 at 7:02 pm said: