PS4-Watch_Dogs

Fatal Frame 2 Hits PSN Tuesday, Series Director Speaks

Makoto Shibata's Avatar + Posted by Makoto Shibata on May 02, 2013 // Fatal Frame Series Director

Editor’s note: Following yesterday’s restrospective on the original PS2 Classic Fatal Frame, series director Makoto Shibata returns today to talk about the development of Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly, which comes to PSN next Tuesday.

Fatal Frame II Crimson Butterfly

The Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly project started relatively soon after the first project concluded. Since we received lots of feedback that players got too scared to complete the game, we shifted our attention to making the storyline more interesting, to encourage such players to overcome the scariness in wanting to see the end of the story.

The storyline is based on a dream I had after the initial project concluded. Thinking back about it, I recall it being a complete dream in many ways. The dream was scary, magical and traumatic, and it had a perfect plot — even with a title and a structured ending. Thus, it was simply a case of how to interpret the dream and recreate it as a game.

In a psychic horror scenario, it is normal for ghosts and spirits to not appear in the exact locations where they previously appeared. Even at any exact locations where spirits died, one can feel the presence every now and then. Also, the way a given spirit makes an appearance may be different on occasion.

Such never-ending loops of thoughts are the core characteristic of psychic horror.

One may notice a slight difference in what the true meaning of the story concludes when playing the game. The more times you play through it, the more different outcomes you’ll feel every time as a result. This is actually a reflection of what happened when I was trying to figure out the meanings behind the dream I had mentioned earlier on. This never-ending illusion is something which has been reflected in the game. I recommend it to anyone who has not encountered any spiritual occasions in real life, to try and get an idea of what they are missing.

82 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ gabriel_nica on May 2nd, 2013 at 8:12 pm said:

You guys(SCEA/SCEE) planning on doing an HD collection for this?

It would really feel natural for the Vita as well as I would imagine it wouldn’t take that much resources.

+ PrinceofXIII on May 2nd, 2013 at 8:47 pm said:

amazing!!!!!

Fatal Frame 3, Clock Tower 1-3, Haunting Ground, Rule of Rose, Kuon,

Siren 1 and Forbidden Siren PS2 please!!!!

we already have Resident Evil 1-3, Silent Hill 1, Parasite Eve I and II!!!

can’t wait for Psycho Break(Evil Within)!!!!

playing Deadly Premonition Director’s Cut right now, and wow now this is a horror game!!!!!!!

+ thrillboi on May 2nd, 2013 at 9:18 pm said:

Thank you God!

+ DarkGhost-89 on May 2nd, 2013 at 9:21 pm said:

waoo finally a great game to the psn n yea clock tower 3 i want it to the psn great game as well
\

+ VaBabyPhat on May 2nd, 2013 at 10:15 pm said:

I can’t wait til this game hits PSN next Tuesday…I’ll get a chance at a second-go-round…chickened out on the first one!

+ Remmy8199 on May 2nd, 2013 at 10:59 pm said:

I got a serious question for a change. When’s the Vita store gonna get Legend of Dragoon? The PS3 store has it, but it seems they’re ignoring the Vita for some reason.

+ FFXI-Gaara on May 3rd, 2013 at 12:40 am said:

Thank you so much!!!!! I love this game can’t wait to get it again and play it in the dark with headphones on!

+ OuEn444 on May 3rd, 2013 at 12:45 am said:

This game is very classic, I like it very much.

+ passivefamiliar on May 3rd, 2013 at 4:38 am said:

this is a case where sony needs to communicate better. im waiting out the likely collection bundle. but anxiously so.

+ MOCHIIIx on May 3rd, 2013 at 5:19 am said:

Yay.
I just wish there was a HD Collection for this series. :[

+ PainOfSarrow on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:20 am said:

what a bunch of chickens. the more scary the better to me. its a shame some ppl buy a horror game just to complain about its to scary to finish. seriously ? man the hell up and grow some. this looks good il pick up this and part one.

+ SILENT__NoobO_o on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:42 am said:

i would love to see all dragon ball z games from ps2 come to ps3 and also the playstation vita and also dragon ball z games from psp to the vita

+ Welmosca on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

Oh awesome…this is a real horror game…can’t wait the experience on PS2 was awesome…the only game to really give the creeps is this game….I hope that they release Fatal Frame 3 as well.Would be even better an HD version with trophies.

+ hla-33 on May 4th, 2013 at 5:33 am said:

account avatars for the PSN plz

+ Whitewolf10 on May 4th, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

sigh…13 you should read the WHOLE article, reading is good for you i promise, what the article actually says is this

i’ll repeat what it says “players were to scared to finish the game”

NOT quite the same as saying what you said

did they change the game because it was too scary for some people to even finish?

now how do you get “players were to scared to finish the game”

to “they changed the game” i don’t even see the word change in that sentence!

+ Whitewolf10 on May 4th, 2013 at 10:40 am said:

#1 absolutely agree oh and thank you for not doing that stupid “first” thing

#2 probably

#3 unfortunely nintendo owns the rights so highly doubtful we will see another one…sorry trust me i know it sucks

#7 I personally would not want a HD version, that would make the ghosts more visiable what fun would that be?

#15 yes, i would rather have trophy support too, i would EASILY get the platium trophy if they had it!

+ Alucard-XII on May 4th, 2013 at 1:34 pm said:

Thank you for adding the sequel to the PSN library. I will buy it as soon as it drops, as I did the first.

Would love to see more such PS2 releases come to PSN.

+ DominikuUddoban on May 5th, 2013 at 12:47 am said:

So I’ll sit here and pretend they didn’t enter my mind because I was thinking a few days ago “Wish they had Fatal Frame 2 on psn” and now this happens……epic stuff o.o

+ Destinys_Memory on May 5th, 2013 at 5:22 am said:

Thank you for releasing Fatal Frame II on PSN. It truly is the most frightening video game of all time. Now, don’t stop there! You can’t release two-thirds of a trilogy. PLEASE release Fatal Frame III: The Tormented on PSN.

I do have to say, I really hate that Nintendo owns the rights to make future Fatal Frame games. I wish Koei Tecmo could somehow get the rights back, at least for North America. Nintendo has essentially ended the franchise here. i would love a new Fatal Frame for PS3 or even a original trilogy HD collection, but I suppose neither is likely to happen because of Nintendo. Anyway, thank you for Crimson Butterfly and bring on The Tormented! :)

+ Skiedragon81 on May 5th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

excellent release guye, as far as not being able to play the 4th one i played it dolphin with the eng translation patch its good but not as great as these

+ SHIVA741 on May 5th, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

YEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

+ sachidib on May 5th, 2013 at 1:04 pm said:

This is awsome how about the Shadow hearts games? Any chance of them heading to psn?

+ Alucard-XII on May 5th, 2013 at 5:19 pm said:

Thumbs up for bringing up the Shadow Hearts series.

+ veryhoudini11 on May 5th, 2013 at 8:07 pm said:

@13 no the didnt change the gameplay of Fatal Frame 2. That is a description of Fatal Frame two, talking about the first one being too scary and what that it caused them to change focus when developing Fatal Frame 2. Classic releases aren’t altered from original gameplay.

+ zakikiel101778 on May 6th, 2013 at 4:07 am said:

loved the 2 & 3 sure hope they start making a new game for ps3

+ SwingerE11 on May 7th, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

Will it be coming to Europe?

+ Destinys_Memory on May 8th, 2013 at 8:56 am said:

NEEDS AN AUDIO PATCH!

*sigh* I wait this many years for Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly to finally be playable on PS3 and it gets released on PSN with glitched audio. The audio skips during cutscenes. Fix it. Patch it. Please. Honestly…

+ sneakyweaky on May 8th, 2013 at 11:50 am said:

Glitched audio during cutscenes, see through walls, black floors? I’ve never scene a game this glitched since skyrim they really need to fix this. But it’s a ps2 classic so I don’t think they will.

+ cdboyles on May 8th, 2013 at 5:49 pm said:

Okay give use Fatal Frame 3 now.

+ KURAYAMI_CR on May 8th, 2013 at 11:48 pm said:

YES, sneakyweaky, me, too

Glitched audio during cutscenes, see through walls, black floors!! they really need to fix this. But it’s a ps2 classic so I don’t think they will.
PLEACE SONY FIX THIS, PLEACE …

+ Imphobia on May 10th, 2013 at 6:01 pm said:

Was looking forward to play it but the audio and visual problems are truly disappointing, i hope for a fix but really it shouldn’t have been released in that state.

+ Hototogisu_Poem on May 12th, 2013 at 8:20 am said:

Mio and Mayu have been having a rough time of it in that little town for years and now the floor is disappearing beneath them and the poor things seem to have developed a stutter! When I saw that Crimson Butterfly had (quietly) been made available on PSN, I bought it immediately. This game is a defining classic of the genre but it really deserves a better treatment than this… Well, better than nothing, I suppose.

PAGE 1 2