The Last Guardian

May 03

May 03

Fuse Demo Lights Up PSN on Tuesday, New Trailer

James Stevenson's Avatar Posted by Community Lead, Insomniac Games

We’ve been working on Fuse, our first new console game IP since Resistance: Fall of Man, for several years now. The wait is almost over — Fuse launches May 28th on PlayStation 3. For an early taste of Fuse, grab the demo — it launches on PSN next Tuesday.

The demo will allow you to experience lethal teamwork with up to three friends online (or 2-player split-screen). Overstrike 9 has tracked the stolen Fuse source to a remote Raven base in Pakistan’s snowy Karakoram Mountains. The team must stop rogue group Raven from carrying out its horrific plan to form a new world order. The section of the demo comes from around the halfway point of the game, so we’ve powered up the four characters a bit to give you a sample of all their capabilities (and you can level them up further!)

Now, some of you may be asking, what is this game? We’d like to say Fuse is what you’d get if you took the dry humor and lethal teamwork from Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and combined it with the alien weaponry from District 9. It’s a uniquely Insomniac universe, one where villains occupy strongholds in exotic locations around the world and a volatile alien substance powers weapons you won’t see in any other game.

Fuse 04Fuse for PS3

The game stars four unique class-based operatives – Dalton Brooks, Izzy Sinclair, Jacob Kimble and Naya Deveraux, who each have their own special weapon, skill tree and progression. With 1-to-4 player drop-in-drop-out online co-op (and 2-player split-screen!), the game is awesome to play with friends. But if you like to play alone, we have a unique feature called LEAP, which gives you the ability to jump between your characters at will and experience four different ways to play the game.

Besides the campaign, the game also features Echelon mode. This is our take on a wave-based mode. Each game is comprised of 12 rounds of randomized objectives, designed to test your agents and teamwork skills. Even better: Fuse’s progression system carries over between the campaign and Echelon mode.

Don’t take my word for it, check out our latest trailer at the top of this post — and keep an eye out for a new trailer from the demo next week! Download the Fuse demo next week and let us know what you think. Also keep an eye on the Insomniac twitter account and Facebook page, as we will be having specific playtimes where developers here jump online to play Fuse with you!

If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer as many as possible.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

beef_child said:

May 3rd, 6:13 am

Finally!!

Bulleteddy said:

May 3rd, 6:18 am

I reeeeaaallly want to like this title, because Insomniac has given me nothing but the greatest gaming experiences over the years. But it just looks like it lacks the personality and story telling of past Insomniac titles and more the generic science-fi soldier feel from the trailers. If I end up buying it, it will because I let Insomniacs pedigree overcome my doubt.

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

May 3rd, 8:52 am

Give the demo a shot! We have put a lot of love into this game!

KOOLWIIP said:

May 3rd, 6:19 am

will there be a day 1 digital release?

Butters360 said:

May 3rd, 6:19 am

Awesome! Time to see how well it looks and plays ;)

Bulleteddy said:

May 3rd, 6:19 am

Sci-fi. Not science-fi. Silly auto correct!

KidCommando said:

May 3rd, 6:23 am

“…powers weapons you won’t see in any other game.”

Are there only 4 Fuse weapons in the game?

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

May 3rd, 8:53 am

Yes, though each of them has alternate fires and gains new abilities over the course of the game. Each character has that one Fuse weapon they specialize with which sort of gives us our classes.

slocod said:

May 3rd, 6:23 am

Is Fuse also getting digital release on PSN Store ?

thanks

goldenratio13 said:

May 3rd, 6:24 am

This is published by EA? Umm, no thanks. I think I’ll pass.

Blade133 said:

May 3rd, 6:41 am

Looking forward to it!

So the demo will support online co-op? And is there a matchmaking system, or can you only play with friends?

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

May 3rd, 8:54 am

Yes, there is online co-op / matchmaking

Pikmologist said:

May 3rd, 7:14 am

Friend will be hyped, he’s obsessed with Insomniac, not as much as I love Naughty Dog, but pretty close.

ptuck874 said:

May 3rd, 7:14 am

I’m wondering if the co-op will be as good as Resistance 2 :)

onslaughtree said:

May 3rd, 7:21 am

YES !!!!!!! My body is ready. I’m super hyped to play Insominac’s new game. Love me some Resistance, so Im sure the gameplay on Fuse will be spot on. Can I fast forward to Tuesday now ??

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

May 3rd, 8:55 am

You could, but you’d miss the weekend :-)

MarinoBrea said:

May 3rd, 7:40 am

We have enough shooters, thank you I’ll pass.

AwRy108 said:

May 3rd, 7:44 am

Would normally pass on this type of game, but knowing that it’s an Insomniac product makes me much more interested. Any pre-order deals we should know of?

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

May 3rd, 8:55 am

There is one global pre-order bonus for all stores (that are participating) worldwide. It gives you a cool skin for each character, each Fuse weapon, and also a team perk unlocked early that’s pretty good.

Spine999 said:

May 3rd, 7:45 am

I’m glad we can get a demo, that shows how confident Insomniac is about this new game.

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

May 3rd, 8:59 am

We definitely think playing Fuse is the best way to experience. We hope you team up with some friends next week

Souledge94 said:

May 3rd, 7:47 am

imma pass. Man I wonder if EA strong armed them to change it from overstrike to this generic looking game.

WilsonTama said:

May 3rd, 8:34 am

PS Store is down for maintenance?

GeoDarky said:

May 3rd, 9:00 am

Resistance series is my favorite of this generation and i will be more than happy to try out your new IP Insomniac

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

May 3rd, 9:29 am

Thank you! We appreciate all of your support – Fuse definitely carries a lot of the Resistance 2 co-op DNA in it, so check it out!

poodude said:

May 3rd, 9:05 am

Really looking forward to Fuse; I’ve had it pre-ordered for a while now!

Though I’ve got to admit James, your PS Blog avatar always makes me sad that we won’t be getting a Resistance 4 :P. Still <3 Insom though!

Suicide_Surfer said:

May 3rd, 9:08 am

Thank you so much! This game looks absolutely amazing! I have to say Overstrike looked better, but I have no doubt you guys made the right decision. Insomniac hasn’t made a bad game yet!

Suicide_Surfer said:

May 3rd, 9:11 am

Only thing better than this would be a new ratchet on PS4. How about that FFA on vita? Coming anytime soon?

LSMJGO said:

May 3rd, 9:25 am

Looking good me and a few friends plan to co op together. Was anger at first wanted a new resistance or full fledged ratchet and clank but this game is looking really good. Who cares what the nay-Sayers think I believe this will be a quality co-op shooter thanks insomniac for always bringing us great games.

LSMJGO said:

May 3rd, 9:28 am

one question James please tell me is there is the option to play online for two player split-screen and two other players online

Suicide_Surfer said:

May 3rd, 9:28 am

Don’t let EA change you Insomniac! Stick to your roots! Also please no DLC. Well, knowing EA I guarentee there’s a **** load of DLC

Cck17 said:

May 3rd, 9:29 am

Overstrike probably woulda been a day one preorder for me.
This game however looks too generic and kinda meh, so I don’t think I will ever get it unless it’s really cheap/free.

Wish you guys kept the Overstrike thing going.

Suicide_Surfer said:

May 3rd, 9:31 am

@25. At least try the demo. Overstrike looked better to me too, but Insomniac has never let us down before.

Wozman23 said:

May 3rd, 10:09 am

I feel bad for you guys, James, but not as bad as a I feel for narrow-minded gamers.

I’m not particularly wowed by the visual overhaul, but I’m also not so stupid that I would blindly dismiss the game before even playing it because of it. Insomniac’s satisfying gameplay, creativity, and humor have never let me down before. I expect nothing less, and already have it paid off.

Hoping it can fill the hole in my heart from the abandonment of the stellar Resistance franchise.

MushThePainter said:

May 3rd, 10:10 am

I haven’t really been following this but the trailer looks really polished, I’ll definitely try out the demo

a_randay92 said:

May 3rd, 10:17 am

I was way more excited for this game when it was called Overstrike. It looked like it had some humor. But now, Fuse just feels like a generic military shooter trying to take itself too seriously. I’ll try the demo, but I don’t have high hopes at all for this one.

IrishDude2 said:

May 3rd, 10:38 am

I’ve been waiting for this like FOREVER! This is out for EU on weds, right?? Tell me it is!

p.s. Make more Resistance games. I loved them and if anyone can make a good Resistance game, it’s you guys!

Welmosca said:

May 3rd, 10:53 am

I’ll try the demo but this game is looking really bad…insomniac will see how is it to go multiplat. big mistake…fuse is already ugly lets see if at least is any good…this is what happens without the help of Sony…oh well I hope that they learn with their mistakes.Anyway Ratchet and Resistance still are beloved franchises for me.

Go_Buddie_Go said:

May 3rd, 11:20 am

@2
I have to agree, but for me, I preferred the original art style they were going for when they first announced the title, once that changed, I just lost interest. I really loved the cartoony art style back when it was still called Overstrike. :T

I still very much love Ratchet & Clank and Resistance!

SILVERX200 said:

May 3rd, 2:08 pm

I just like the music at the end of the trailer. Too bad that’s probably not like how the in-game music sounds. I’ll try the demo, but if plays clunky it gets deleted and never touched again.

Viewtiful_Gene said:

May 3rd, 2:14 pm

I would be interested if this was OVERSTRIKE and if it wasn’t published by EA because they F****ING RUIN EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING.

I respect you Insomniac… and… I feel sorry for you. Let’s just… agh
Let’s just hope that the times get better. That the industry gets better. That they stop with the same stupid, boring, sh***y and casual crap games. That people get better taste. That… aaagh! f***! f***! …

There is no hope for videogames anymore isn’t it?

All the generic games, all the bad localizations (and no localizations), DLC, the saturation of shooters, DLC DLC DLC DLC, unnecessary censorship, CASUALS, more censorship, butchered games, casuals…. And all the attacks that the videogames have that nobody can explain WHY, WHY the videogame industry it’s the only that gets all the m****f******* crap!

(continues)

Viewtiful_Gene said:

May 3rd, 2:15 pm

(cont.)
To tell you the truth, I only played the first Resistance, because… well… there are too many shooters, so I will play them “someday”, because at least I know they are GOOD shooters. Oh and I didn’t play Ratchet & Clank because I’m in the search of satisfactory experiences, I’m not saying they aren’t ‘good enough’, in fact I played a bit Tools of Destruction and it was very fun and good, so I recommend it for other people, but it’s too easy for me.

Insomniac Games, I wish you the best.
(And yes, I will try the demo anyway)

Elvick_ said:

May 3rd, 3:32 pm

@27: It isn’t just a reskin. The entire tone of the game changed to appeal to dudebros. I hope Fuse tanks hard.

neuropunk said:

May 3rd, 4:24 pm

Oh great, yet ANOTHER FPS!

We need another FPS this gen, just like we need diarrhea.

You new mainstream casuals keep on ruining games for us gamers who grew up on Nintendo before your TPS and FPS were ever invented. Turn based JRPGs and Nintendo for life! Screw your stupid dudebro pewpews.

blakseed said:

May 3rd, 4:27 pm

Can’t wait to see what kind of crazy guns Insomniac has Insomniac came up with this time. Insomniac always have awesome, creative weapons in their games.

OneMoreVillain said:

May 3rd, 4:30 pm

The reason it looks like a generic sci-fi shooter, is because that’s exactly what they said they made it to be. Then after it was made went “Oh what will the gimmick of this game?” and so Fuse was made. The article is on the Playstation Blog for those interested.

I thought I’d pass on it after reading that first article, but held off until closer to the end results to judge. I see it’s exactly what I thought. Now being aware that you are being published by EA I will definitely be passing as I don’t feel the need to be nickel and dimed with pre-created content offered as Downloadable Content.

tusunami said:

May 3rd, 4:43 pm

This is truly great might have to try this out.

plaztiksyke said:

May 3rd, 4:51 pm

are there playable female or GLBT characters?

depending on that, I’ll either buy it first-day or wait for a PS4 version.

PrimeroIncognito said:

May 3rd, 7:02 pm

@ Elvick_

If it’s not for you, then let it go. Do you hope every game you’re not into “tanks hard”? What a horrible thing to wish for a project that some people are depending on to do well in order to make ends meet.

Shoo. Just shoo. Take your hatred and shoo. And please take Ryumoau with you.

PrimeroIncognito said:

May 3rd, 7:06 pm

@ neuropunk

Sometimes we do need diarrhea, actually. It helps one appreciate how fortunate they are to have solid stools most of the time.

Elvick_ said:

May 3rd, 7:07 pm

@42: Nope. Just ones that are drastically changed to appeal to a larger dudebro market.

PrimeroIncognito said:

May 3rd, 7:15 pm

And? Why is that such a problem? I ignore Call Of DooDoo for the same reason. But I don’t hate it, or hope that the developer goes bankrupt or anything like that.

supvic said:

May 3rd, 7:33 pm

PLEASE tell me this game has Stereoscopic 3D! The 3D in R&C Q-force, All4One and Resistance3 were AMAZING! Please tell me you’ve worked your 3D magic with Fuse too. Don’t drop the ball like Santa Monica did with God of War Ascension.

JMG24BAD said:

May 4th, 3:44 am

no advertising?

Falaut said:

May 4th, 8:01 am

Looks polished. That, in my honest opinion, is all. Everything else seems pushed through the “check mark game” sausage press.

amjr72 said:

May 4th, 1:23 pm

I used to be a big Contra fan and i love my shooters to be over the top, Vanquish is one of my favorite games and i’m sad that are so few of these.

When Overstrike was revealed i was happy to see some of the more fun and videogamey aspects of shooters make a return, and Insomniac Games has that fun DNA in them so i was very excited, when the game changed to FUSE though it looked like a turn for the generic, realistic scenarios that are being dumped at retail for years and i was one of the guys who dismissed it. Now I’ve noticed there’s a giant boss enemy in that trailer, i went “WUT?” is the Insomniac i love coming back? I’ll check the demo since i enjoyed R2 coop mode and depending on the level of crazyness on display i may even consider a day one.

ODD_FUTURE12 said:

May 5th, 8:07 am

this game looks sick nasty i might end up buying it

PAGE 1 2