Far Cry 4

Fuse Demo Lights Up PSN on Tuesday, New Trailer

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on May 03, 2013 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

We’ve been working on Fuse, our first new console game IP since Resistance: Fall of Man, for several years now. The wait is almost over — Fuse launches May 28th on PlayStation 3. For an early taste of Fuse, grab the demo — it launches on PSN next Tuesday.

The demo will allow you to experience lethal teamwork with up to three friends online (or 2-player split-screen). Overstrike 9 has tracked the stolen Fuse source to a remote Raven base in Pakistan’s snowy Karakoram Mountains. The team must stop rogue group Raven from carrying out its horrific plan to form a new world order. The section of the demo comes from around the halfway point of the game, so we’ve powered up the four characters a bit to give you a sample of all their capabilities (and you can level them up further!)

Now, some of you may be asking, what is this game? We’d like to say Fuse is what you’d get if you took the dry humor and lethal teamwork from Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and combined it with the alien weaponry from District 9. It’s a uniquely Insomniac universe, one where villains occupy strongholds in exotic locations around the world and a volatile alien substance powers weapons you won’t see in any other game.

Fuse 04Fuse for PS3

The game stars four unique class-based operatives – Dalton Brooks, Izzy Sinclair, Jacob Kimble and Naya Deveraux, who each have their own special weapon, skill tree and progression. With 1-to-4 player drop-in-drop-out online co-op (and 2-player split-screen!), the game is awesome to play with friends. But if you like to play alone, we have a unique feature called LEAP, which gives you the ability to jump between your characters at will and experience four different ways to play the game.

Besides the campaign, the game also features Echelon mode. This is our take on a wave-based mode. Each game is comprised of 12 rounds of randomized objectives, designed to test your agents and teamwork skills. Even better: Fuse’s progression system carries over between the campaign and Echelon mode.

Don’t take my word for it, check out our latest trailer at the top of this post — and keep an eye out for a new trailer from the demo next week! Download the Fuse demo next week and let us know what you think. Also keep an eye on the Insomniac twitter account and Facebook page, as we will be having specific playtimes where developers here jump online to play Fuse with you!

If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer as many as possible.

PAGE 1 2

+ beef_child on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:13 am said:

Finally!!

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:56 am said:

Glad you’re excited!

+ Bulleteddy on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:18 am said:

I reeeeaaallly want to like this title, because Insomniac has given me nothing but the greatest gaming experiences over the years. But it just looks like it lacks the personality and story telling of past Insomniac titles and more the generic science-fi soldier feel from the trailers. If I end up buying it, it will because I let Insomniacs pedigree overcome my doubt.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:52 am said:

Give the demo a shot! We have put a lot of love into this game!

+ KOOLWIIP on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:19 am said:

will there be a day 1 digital release?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:53 am said:

I believe so on PSN.

+ Butters360 on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:19 am said:

Awesome! Time to see how well it looks and plays ;)

+ Bulleteddy on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:19 am said:

Sci-fi. Not science-fi. Silly auto correct!

+ KidCommando on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:23 am said:

“…powers weapons you won’t see in any other game.”

Are there only 4 Fuse weapons in the game?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:53 am said:

Yes, though each of them has alternate fires and gains new abilities over the course of the game. Each character has that one Fuse weapon they specialize with which sort of gives us our classes.

+ slocod on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:23 am said:

Is Fuse also getting digital release on PSN Store ?

thanks

+ goldenratio13 on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:24 am said:

This is published by EA? Umm, no thanks. I think I’ll pass.

+ Blade133 on May 3rd, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

Looking forward to it!

So the demo will support online co-op? And is there a matchmaking system, or can you only play with friends?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:54 am said:

Yes, there is online co-op / matchmaking

+ Pikmologist on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:14 am said:

Friend will be hyped, he’s obsessed with Insomniac, not as much as I love Naughty Dog, but pretty close.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:54 am said:

Awesome! Play together!

+ ptuck874 on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:14 am said:

I’m wondering if the co-op will be as good as Resistance 2 :)

+ onslaughtree on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:21 am said:

YES !!!!!!! My body is ready. I’m super hyped to play Insominac’s new game. Love me some Resistance, so Im sure the gameplay on Fuse will be spot on. Can I fast forward to Tuesday now ??

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:55 am said:

You could, but you’d miss the weekend :-)

+ MarinoBrea on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:40 am said:

We have enough shooters, thank you I’ll pass.

+ AwRy108 on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:44 am said:

Would normally pass on this type of game, but knowing that it’s an Insomniac product makes me much more interested. Any pre-order deals we should know of?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:55 am said:

There is one global pre-order bonus for all stores (that are participating) worldwide. It gives you a cool skin for each character, each Fuse weapon, and also a team perk unlocked early that’s pretty good.

+ Spine999 on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:45 am said:

I’m glad we can get a demo, that shows how confident Insomniac is about this new game.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:59 am said:

We definitely think playing Fuse is the best way to experience. We hope you team up with some friends next week

+ Souledge94 on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:47 am said:

imma pass. Man I wonder if EA strong armed them to change it from overstrike to this generic looking game.

+ WilsonTama on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:34 am said:

PS Store is down for maintenance?

+ GeoDarky on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:00 am said:

Resistance series is my favorite of this generation and i will be more than happy to try out your new IP Insomniac

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

Thank you! We appreciate all of your support – Fuse definitely carries a lot of the Resistance 2 co-op DNA in it, so check it out!

+ poodude on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

Really looking forward to Fuse; I’ve had it pre-ordered for a while now!

Though I’ve got to admit James, your PS Blog avatar always makes me sad that we won’t be getting a Resistance 4 :P. Still <3 Insom though!

+ Suicide_Surfer on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:08 am said:

Thank you so much! This game looks absolutely amazing! I have to say Overstrike looked better, but I have no doubt you guys made the right decision. Insomniac hasn’t made a bad game yet!

+ Suicide_Surfer on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

Only thing better than this would be a new ratchet on PS4. How about that FFA on vita? Coming anytime soon?

+ LSMJGO on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:25 am said:

Looking good me and a few friends plan to co op together. Was anger at first wanted a new resistance or full fledged ratchet and clank but this game is looking really good. Who cares what the nay-Sayers think I believe this will be a quality co-op shooter thanks insomniac for always bringing us great games.

+ LSMJGO on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

one question James please tell me is there is the option to play online for two player split-screen and two other players online

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 3rd, 2013 at 1:34 pm said:

Yes. That is an option

+ Suicide_Surfer on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

Don’t let EA change you Insomniac! Stick to your roots! Also please no DLC. Well, knowing EA I guarentee there’s a **** load of DLC

+ Cck17 on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

Overstrike probably woulda been a day one preorder for me.
This game however looks too generic and kinda meh, so I don’t think I will ever get it unless it’s really cheap/free.

Wish you guys kept the Overstrike thing going.

+ Suicide_Surfer on May 3rd, 2013 at 9:31 am said:

@25. At least try the demo. Overstrike looked better to me too, but Insomniac has never let us down before.

+ Wozman23 on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

I feel bad for you guys, James, but not as bad as a I feel for narrow-minded gamers.

I’m not particularly wowed by the visual overhaul, but I’m also not so stupid that I would blindly dismiss the game before even playing it because of it. Insomniac’s satisfying gameplay, creativity, and humor have never let me down before. I expect nothing less, and already have it paid off.

Hoping it can fill the hole in my heart from the abandonment of the stellar Resistance franchise.

+ MushThePainter on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:10 am said:

I haven’t really been following this but the trailer looks really polished, I’ll definitely try out the demo

+ a_randay92 on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:17 am said:

I was way more excited for this game when it was called Overstrike. It looked like it had some humor. But now, Fuse just feels like a generic military shooter trying to take itself too seriously. I’ll try the demo, but I don’t have high hopes at all for this one.

+ IrishDude2 on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

I’ve been waiting for this like FOREVER! This is out for EU on weds, right?? Tell me it is!

p.s. Make more Resistance games. I loved them and if anyone can make a good Resistance game, it’s you guys!

+ Welmosca on May 3rd, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

I’ll try the demo but this game is looking really bad…insomniac will see how is it to go multiplat. big mistake…fuse is already ugly lets see if at least is any good…this is what happens without the help of Sony…oh well I hope that they learn with their mistakes.Anyway Ratchet and Resistance still are beloved franchises for me.

+ Go_Buddie_Go on May 3rd, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

@2
I have to agree, but for me, I preferred the original art style they were going for when they first announced the title, once that changed, I just lost interest. I really loved the cartoony art style back when it was still called Overstrike. :T

I still very much love Ratchet & Clank and Resistance!

+ SILVERX200 on May 3rd, 2013 at 2:08 pm said:

I just like the music at the end of the trailer. Too bad that’s probably not like how the in-game music sounds. I’ll try the demo, but if plays clunky it gets deleted and never touched again.

+ Viewtiful_Gene on May 3rd, 2013 at 2:14 pm said:

I would be interested if this was OVERSTRIKE and if it wasn’t published by EA because they F****ING RUIN EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING.

I respect you Insomniac… and… I feel sorry for you. Let’s just… agh
Let’s just hope that the times get better. That the industry gets better. That they stop with the same stupid, boring, sh***y and casual crap games. That people get better taste. That… aaagh! f***! f***! …

There is no hope for videogames anymore isn’t it?

All the generic games, all the bad localizations (and no localizations), DLC, the saturation of shooters, DLC DLC DLC DLC, unnecessary censorship, CASUALS, more censorship, butchered games, casuals…. And all the attacks that the videogames have that nobody can explain WHY, WHY the videogame industry it’s the only that gets all the m****f******* crap!

(continues)

+ Viewtiful_Gene on May 3rd, 2013 at 2:15 pm said:

(cont.)
To tell you the truth, I only played the first Resistance, because… well… there are too many shooters, so I will play them “someday”, because at least I know they are GOOD shooters. Oh and I didn’t play Ratchet & Clank because I’m in the search of satisfactory experiences, I’m not saying they aren’t ‘good enough’, in fact I played a bit Tools of Destruction and it was very fun and good, so I recommend it for other people, but it’s too easy for me.

Insomniac Games, I wish you the best.
(And yes, I will try the demo anyway)

+ Elvick_ on May 3rd, 2013 at 3:32 pm said:

@27: It isn’t just a reskin. The entire tone of the game changed to appeal to dudebros. I hope Fuse tanks hard.

+ neuropunk on May 3rd, 2013 at 4:24 pm said:

Oh great, yet ANOTHER FPS!

We need another FPS this gen, just like we need diarrhea.

You new mainstream casuals keep on ruining games for us gamers who grew up on Nintendo before your TPS and FPS were ever invented. Turn based JRPGs and Nintendo for life! Screw your stupid dudebro pewpews.

+ blakseed on May 3rd, 2013 at 4:27 pm said:

Can’t wait to see what kind of crazy guns Insomniac has Insomniac came up with this time. Insomniac always have awesome, creative weapons in their games.

+ OneMoreVillain on May 3rd, 2013 at 4:30 pm said:

The reason it looks like a generic sci-fi shooter, is because that’s exactly what they said they made it to be. Then after it was made went “Oh what will the gimmick of this game?” and so Fuse was made. The article is on the Playstation Blog for those interested.

I thought I’d pass on it after reading that first article, but held off until closer to the end results to judge. I see it’s exactly what I thought. Now being aware that you are being published by EA I will definitely be passing as I don’t feel the need to be nickel and dimed with pre-created content offered as Downloadable Content.

+ tusunami on May 3rd, 2013 at 4:43 pm said:

This is truly great might have to try this out.

+ plaztiksyke on May 3rd, 2013 at 4:51 pm said:

are there playable female or GLBT characters?

depending on that, I’ll either buy it first-day or wait for a PS4 version.

+ PrimeroIncognito on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:02 pm said:

@ Elvick_

If it’s not for you, then let it go. Do you hope every game you’re not into “tanks hard”? What a horrible thing to wish for a project that some people are depending on to do well in order to make ends meet.

Shoo. Just shoo. Take your hatred and shoo. And please take Ryumoau with you.

+ PrimeroIncognito on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:06 pm said:

@ neuropunk

Sometimes we do need diarrhea, actually. It helps one appreciate how fortunate they are to have solid stools most of the time.

+ Elvick_ on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:07 pm said:

@42: Nope. Just ones that are drastically changed to appeal to a larger dudebro market.

+ PrimeroIncognito on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:15 pm said:

And? Why is that such a problem? I ignore Call Of DooDoo for the same reason. But I don’t hate it, or hope that the developer goes bankrupt or anything like that.

+ supvic on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:33 pm said:

PLEASE tell me this game has Stereoscopic 3D! The 3D in R&C Q-force, All4One and Resistance3 were AMAZING! Please tell me you’ve worked your 3D magic with Fuse too. Don’t drop the ball like Santa Monica did with God of War Ascension.

+ JMG24BAD on May 4th, 2013 at 3:44 am said:

no advertising?

+ Falaut on May 4th, 2013 at 8:01 am said:

Looks polished. That, in my honest opinion, is all. Everything else seems pushed through the “check mark game” sausage press.

+ amjr72 on May 4th, 2013 at 1:23 pm said:

I used to be a big Contra fan and i love my shooters to be over the top, Vanquish is one of my favorite games and i’m sad that are so few of these.

When Overstrike was revealed i was happy to see some of the more fun and videogamey aspects of shooters make a return, and Insomniac Games has that fun DNA in them so i was very excited, when the game changed to FUSE though it looked like a turn for the generic, realistic scenarios that are being dumped at retail for years and i was one of the guys who dismissed it. Now I’ve noticed there’s a giant boss enemy in that trailer, i went “WUT?” is the Insomniac i love coming back? I’ll check the demo since i enjoyed R2 coop mode and depending on the level of crazyness on display i may even consider a day one.

+ ODD_FUTURE12 on May 5th, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

this game looks sick nasty i might end up buying it

PAGE 1 2