Minecraft PS4

CounterSpy Sneaking to PS3, PS Vita

David Nottingham's Avatar + Posted by David Nottingham on May 07, 2013 // Lead Designer, Dynamighty

CounterSpy on PS3 and PS Vita

Hello, PlayStation.Blog compadres!

I’m one of the co-founders of Dynamighty, a small independent studio situated in lovely San Francisco, CA. We’re a 10 person team of passionate game makers, founded by myself and my buddy John, who previously worked together at LucasArts, with the core team rounded out by the two Marks. ‘Business’ Mark and Mark Holmes, who before us was at Pixar for 16 years. When Sony asked us to write a quick post to tell you a bit about our game, we met the request with a mix of excitement (“YES! We get to start talking about our game!”) and terror (“Holy [REDACTED]! Now we’ve got to actually deliver…”).

Truthfully, we are super excited to finally be able to start talking about our labor of love, our very first game: CounterSpy (working title), an action side-scrolling game being developed for PlayStation 3, PS Vita, and mobile platforms.

As an elite member of C.O.U.N.T.E.R., your goal is to infiltrate, sabotage, and strike at the heart of two opposing Super Powers embroiled in a frenetic Arms Race that threatens the existence of humanity. You are countering the insane plans of these Cold War foes, raiding their seemingly impregnable bases and undermining their mad military machinations, all before they can launch their ever more ridiculous weapons of mass destruction against each other.

To give you a peek, one of the levels we’ve been working on this month has you going behind the Iron Curtain to raid a secret military base that is preparing a deadly new rocket for launch. As the countdown to launch ticks away, you’ll fight through hordes of well-armed representatives of the card-carrying oligarchy that object to your presence. Get to the rocket in time and you can sabotage the guidance system, causing a launch day explosion and getting you a nice fat bonus from C.O.U.N.T.E.R. HQ. To help you out, you’ve got a broad arsenal at your disposal, including a cool selection of prototype weapons that you will unlock as you steal collections of blueprints.

So a little bit about why we are making this game…

At Dynamighty, we are huge fans of side-scrollers and CounterSpy is our love letter to the genre. These are some of the classic games that shaped our childhood: Flashback, Out of this World, Impossible Mission, Metroid, and more recently, the awesome Shadow Complex. We’re inspired to deliver something that brings our own voice to the genre.

CounterSpy on PS3 and PS Vita

Choosing the 50s/60s Cold War aesthetic of CounterSpy was driven by a fundamental part of our vision at Dynamighty, which is to build games around themes and settings that we love and have inspired us across movies, TV, music or literature. In this case, there is SO much rich inspiration to geek over from that era: the Bond movies, the classic Mission Impossible TV show, the graphic designs of Saul Bass, the cool mid-century architecture of that era… We love it all and this feeds into our passion that the games we make have a really distinctive, strong visual style.

Although CounterSpy is primarily a single player game, we are working on some interesting ways to let you compete with friends that go a little beyond traditional high scores. We are very eager to talk about more about our cross-platform plans in future updates, including how the PS3 and PS Vita versions can work with the extended gameplay you can get from also downloading and playing on a mobile device. (You know, that ‘device’ you use to post Instagram photos of your cat, tweet your awesome lunch plans, or play those free games that don’t seem to ‘quite’ give you enough gems to get to level 4. It’s OK; we do those things, too!)

CounterSpy on PS3 and PS Vita

From all of us at Dynamighty, thank you for reading! We hope you’ve enjoyed this small taste of what we’ve been working on. We’ll be sharing more as we go, including some of the cool stuff we have planned for the social side of the game. Until we meet again!

For more on CounterSpy, check out Game Informer’s story.

+ reson8er on May 7th, 2013 at 2:08 pm said:

This looks pretty awesome. Hopefully we’ll get to see it in motion soon~!

+ Suicide_Surfer on May 7th, 2013 at 2:09 pm said:

Woah what’s up with the 3 posts at the same time? Was that planned?

+ Jakeman14 on May 7th, 2013 at 2:10 pm said:

This looks kinda cool! pretty original idea also. why no ps4?

+ PainOfSarrow on May 7th, 2013 at 2:14 pm said:

not bad

+ firebranded on May 7th, 2013 at 2:14 pm said:

@ Suicide_Surfer

They are games detailed in the newest Game Informer alongside Infamous 2nd Son.

This one has my eye especially

+ TwinDad on May 7th, 2013 at 2:15 pm said:

You have piqued my interest. I look forward to more information as the game develops.

+ Souledge94 on May 7th, 2013 at 2:24 pm said:

I like the artstyle kinda reminds me of killer 7. Cant wait to see some video of gameplay.

+ GranpireV on May 7th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

Dat art…

+ plaztiksyke on May 7th, 2013 at 2:46 pm said:

Love the art style! Can we look forward to some Get Smart or LucasArts kind of humor we all know and love? Are there any GLBT characters?

+ FernandoAD on May 7th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

It looks like a huge update of Rolling Thunder! If its the same gameplay it will be awesome!

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 7th, 2013 at 2:53 pm said:

Hmm, pretty interesting, and the art has a unique look. Glad it’ll be aavailable for vita, seems like a fitting choice for these kind of games.

+ rickysasac on May 7th, 2013 at 3:03 pm said:

This game looks nice

+ Golwar on May 7th, 2013 at 3:16 pm said:

Indeed, this looks marvelous. It instantly reminded me of Another World.

I was puzzled then that Flashback (also a masterpiece) was mentioned, but not Another World. Till I reminded myself that you Yankees called it Out of this world. ;)

Will your CounterSpy be equally hard as those classics or is it “user friendly” (aka cakewalk), as most games are in these days?

David Nottingham's Avatar

+ David Nottingham on May 7th, 2013 at 4:22 pm said:

I have heated debates with my friend Jens about which is the better game, Flashback (AKA Out of this World) or Another World. Either way, both games were HUGELY influential back in the day.

As for how easy/hard it will be. Kind of hard to say right now. play balancing is an on-going process. Some days it’s way too hard, other days way too easy. I’d definitely say we want to challenge the player but at the same time, we want to keep the fundamental gameplay simple so first time player can grok. Don’t know if this is making any sense.

Anyway thanks for the interest and kind words!

+ that-acmilan-guy on May 7th, 2013 at 3:20 pm said:

Remember Spy vs Spy? Was that game any inspiration behind this?

David Nottingham's Avatar

+ David Nottingham on May 7th, 2013 at 4:23 pm said:

Spy vs Spy is a classic! Played that a TON with my brother on C64 back when I was a wee bairn. Plus I grew up on my Dad’s MAD magazines. So yes I guess you could say it was an influence, but really the gameplay is more of a pure single player experience on this title.

+ tusunami on May 7th, 2013 at 4:17 pm said:

This art style definately looks interesting for this PS Vita game, can’t wait till this surfaces soon!!!!!!!!!!!

+ xClayMeow on May 7th, 2013 at 4:21 pm said:

Looks pretty sweet and I think the Vita is the perfect platform for 2D platformers (Guacamelee! was awesome on it).

Are there any plans to utilize the front or back touchscreens, or is it going to be full analog controls?

David Nottingham's Avatar

+ David Nottingham on May 7th, 2013 at 4:25 pm said:

So far we’ve been pretty focused on the analog controls but we are also doing touch controls for the mobile platforms so there might be some interesting things we could do. Off the cuff, I can definitely think of some cool espionage related stuff that could use the touchscreen. The honest answer to this is no idea! (yet)

David Nottingham's Avatar

+ David Nottingham on May 7th, 2013 at 4:29 pm said:

Hey people. Thanks for the kind words and especially the appreciation of the art style! This is definitely a passion project for us and after a long development period under a cone of silence its great that we can finally start sharing with people. :)

We are going for something really unique in the visuals and I feel like we are just now starting to hit our stride so watch for future updates to see how the visual style continues to progress!

+ ikissedmygrandpa on May 7th, 2013 at 4:33 pm said:

Saul Bass,you say? Can a “Bunny Lake is Missing” game be in the works somewhere down the line? lol On topic,this game looks right down my alley…Ill be telling all my friends about this

+ NYPUNK88 on May 7th, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

game looks really good. I want this now! : )

+ xClayMeow on May 7th, 2013 at 5:04 pm said:

Thanks for the reply! Doesn’t bother me either way, was just curious. Don’t use additional features just for the sake of using them – only if they make sense!

+ Zezzler on May 7th, 2013 at 5:39 pm said:

Wow, this game sounds awesome!
The unique and cool visuals plus the great inspirations and ‘metroidvania’ style seems perfect!

Can’t wait to hear/see more!

+ Earthling_8 on May 7th, 2013 at 6:13 pm said:

This sounds and looks good. I’m interested.

+ avluis on May 7th, 2013 at 7:37 pm said:

Really really really like what I see here! I will be looking forward to the day I can enjoy your game!

+ Elvick_ on May 7th, 2013 at 7:42 pm said:

Curious what the animation is like. Looking forward to seeing more. PS; I mostly use my PS Vita to tweet.

+ LebGuns on May 7th, 2013 at 9:52 pm said:

This looks SO awesome! I’m so excited for this game! Wish it came to PS4 as well. Also, any chance this will be CrossBuy?

+ Petitemalfleur on May 7th, 2013 at 11:08 pm said:

Looks amazing. I love the art and the whole concept. I’ll probably buy this day one. I’d love it if you could make a two player option, even if it’s just a second controller drop in. I like to play with my daughter and we are always searching for games we can play together.

David Nottingham's Avatar

+ David Nottingham on May 11th, 2013 at 5:33 pm said:

A two player option would be cool. Unfortunately it would require a lot of additional design prototyping to make it really work well and we hadn’t planned for it in this first game. Nice to hear of people gaming with daughters. We will keep this suggestion in mind for future work! :)

+ ESIASON7 on May 8th, 2013 at 12:12 am said:

Ok, im interested. Ill be watching for more info on this, looks really promising!

+ coolasj19 on May 8th, 2013 at 3:53 am said:

A side scroller? And an art style I can only love? Sign me up!

+ saab01 on May 8th, 2013 at 5:37 am said:

This game is looking pretty cool hopefully a demo is planned and even better if it was somehow a free plus game when it releases. I cant wait to see some gameplay and other footage.

+ marcelinoap77 on May 8th, 2013 at 7:10 am said:

Appears to be a great game!

Lets see!

+ nov_17th on May 8th, 2013 at 9:50 am said:

I’m a huge fan of Impossible Mission but this also reminds me of Rolling Thunder. I’ll be on the look out for this puppy.

Beautiful game people.

+ Milagres_ on May 8th, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

OMG this game looks awesome!
Could you talk more about the style of the game? If it is more action or stealht oriented, or even a mix of both. Or even the type where you choose they way you want to progress, if more run n’ gun or more of a silent assassin, approach…. y’know, stuff like that.

And really, it looks great! And knowing about your influences and where some of you worked at (Lucas Arts and Pixar) make me even more pumped por this! I’ll be following this one up close from now on…..

David Nottingham's Avatar

+ David Nottingham on May 11th, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

I’d describe it as mostly an action game with some stealth elements. Our focus is on making cover shooting & sabotage elements fun in a side-scroller.

We are huge fans of PURE stealth games (Mark of the Ninja so great) and you’ll see some stealth touches in the game. :)

+ GT-420 on May 8th, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

Everything about this game looks really cool. Here’s hoping there’s a demo prior to release. An interview with developers on Game Informer has even more info:

+ SuMizzle on May 8th, 2013 at 2:24 pm said:

Can I give you my monies now?

+ DelicaGunz on May 8th, 2013 at 2:43 pm said:

I am absolutely excited by this game.

+ Tchanku on May 8th, 2013 at 3:00 pm said:

I’d like to see some gameplay.

+ Da-Hedgie on May 9th, 2013 at 6:13 am said:

Just a suggestion: Put cool looking steampunk goggles on the MC, suit + tie is also great.

Good luck guys, hope your game turns out to be a success ^.^

+ une6tri on May 9th, 2013 at 7:06 am said:

too Much indie games in Psvita.. not very nice in a great handheld! were is the ratcht and clank? its been ages since the ps3 version been released and also about the warriors lair? come on sony!!

+ HanGlacy on May 9th, 2013 at 7:10 am said:

yeah agree too much indie games xD my ps vita stock for 5 months till soul sacrifice released and now im happy to smash my ps vita buttons again..

+ jonaspsvita1 on May 9th, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

Look Fab!

+ Riko_player44 on May 9th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

Remember ‘The saboteur’ a good old game ;)

CounterSpy seem good game , i seem nice ;)

+ StalkerD on May 9th, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

It would have been awesome if they used the same art style of the poster for the game, in 2D. The poster looks way cooler than the screenshots..