Overwatch

May 07

May 07

New Indie Games Category Coming to PlayStation Store Today

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar Posted by Director, Digital Distribution

Indie Games on PSN

With innovative gaming experiences now more diverse than ever, PlayStation and Sony Network Entertainment are proud to stand behind indie-led development with the introduction of a new PlayStation Store “Indie Games” category coming later today.

This category builds on the support that PlayStation has offered independent developers in the effort to highlight some of the most unique gaming experiences on PlayStation platforms. Most recently, we released four stellar independently developed games during our recent Spring Fever event on the PlayStation Store. We also showcased upcoming PS3 and PS Vita games from indie developers along with highlighting two new games coming to the PS4 during our recent Indie Arcade at GDC.

This new category will house all of our latest indie titles in one convenient place.

Be on the lookout for some of our greatest hits, including surreal puzzle title Unfinished Swan and award-winning PSN exclusive Journey. You can also find some of our newest indie games such as the colorful Metroidvania-style PSN game Guacamelee! and imaginative platformer Thomas Was Alone, both of which launched to great fanfare during our Spring Fever event.

And these are just a few of our exciting indie titles in this category. To celebrate this launch, we’re offering special deals on the following titles:

• Retro City Rampage: 50% discount to all from May 7th to May 21st
  • Papo & Yo promotional bundle containing the soundtrack and game: 40% discount (55% for PlayStation Plus subscribers) from May 7th to May 21st
  • Zombie Tycoon II: Free for PlayStation Plus subscribers for a limited time

Be sure to check back for new deals on select titles each week. What indie games are you looking to add to your digital catalog?

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

The_Dukenator said:

May 7th, 9:33 am

@50 That’s up to Phil Fish. It came out for Steam recently, so maybe after the Summer it might show up on PSN.

TJF588 said:

May 7th, 9:41 am

@47 – A bit paranoid about who’s posting, but I turn the question back to you: What makes these games less “true”? Many are just as, if not more, “feature-filled” as the retail games of yester-gens, but are price appropriately compared to the retail standards of today (where a $60 game is loaded up with enough DLC to rival that price, including a pre-purchase for unrevealed content, and even then may still be an all-around stinker, such as Colonial Marines).

For my bit, their more condensed or streamlined experienced are more approachable to me (as opposed to the other extreme of several alternating modes of control with excessive side-missions detracting from the primary scenario and/or gameplay mechanics), they’re stylistically varied yet relatively low-key (I’m not overwhelmed by the scope of their visuals, and 2D seems easier to distinguish an art style in), and with such a tighter focus, some of these games thoroughly (and cleverly, if so) explore a gameplay mechanic (I’ll always refer to VVVVVV on that!).

TJF588 said:

May 7th, 9:42 am

God of War’s alright, and I’ve only played, like, 1.5 of ’em so far, but how many bits have felt more drawn out than one’d like. I wanted to accuse it of padding, but I don’t honestly think that happened much in my plays (aside from slow dragging, which is thematically appropriate).

I’m giving AAAs a hard shake, here, but the indie scene is similarly full of dreck. The difference is, to get support from a console publisher, an indie’s gonna have to prove their viability, instead of just buying its way in. Sony, could we get a “seal of approval”, here?!

PainOfSarrow said:

May 7th, 9:50 am

already have Retro City Rampage. its pretty damn good for an ugly 8-bit look. Papo & Yo was boring to me. Zombie Tycoon II looks interesting so i may pic that up in the near future.

GMFCO311 said:

May 7th, 9:50 am

Oh, oh. A new category added to the store? Does this mean the PS Store wont be updated til midnight or so now? Usually happens when something drastic happens to the store!

TJF588 said:

May 7th, 9:59 am

But it’s still Tuesday in at least one time zone!

inb4 heated discussion about what’s “indie”, if the SPUF’s General Discussion boards are any indication.

IIL0YDII said:

May 7th, 10:03 am

Pierre Gravereau can you comment on request of “my games” or steam-like “Library”?

TJF588 said:

May 7th, 10:21 am

One last thought: I enough how stories come through in these games. Many are experimental, but even more traditional presentations are less “nailed down” than more produced fare, allowing for a more open “take” on how they come across. No worries about shoddy voice work when it’s just text, and when you play it again down the road, you might read it in an entirely different tone or pace, reflecting yourself in the work. High production values are impressive, but there’s much to praise when a lump of pixels can take on so many expressions all due to the mood set by both game and player.

FidelityNy said:

May 7th, 10:35 am

This doesn’t help anyone. If users with PS3 consoles could pay a small price for development tools like Android and iOS, Playstation would be the platform of choice. That’s what Playstation is about, right? Gaming. Let the indie developers with very little money develop as well.

USRevenge2 said:

May 7th, 11:02 am

I’m glad we are getting a dedicated indie game market. I just hope more developers for make good indie games get their game on playstation platforms. games like gamedev tycoon would be fun on ps3/vita/ps4

oh and I guess the store is updating now or soon? because sleeping dogs is under “free games” but says it costs $50 and indie games has a tab but it’s empty.

geassuser87 said:

May 7th, 11:06 am

Nice~ put FTL on the shelves and its good to go

luvtoseek said:

May 7th, 11:17 am

@ Gorvi & TJF588, good luck having a discussion w/ someone that uses “troll” anyway that suits them, haha. Add to that, Indie titles are not “True Games…” :/ Hold me brothers & sisters.

This is a good announcement- but will PSM & Minis fold into this section? The store needs to have less portals to find specific content; please take this into consideration, Pierre!

TJF588 said:

May 7th, 12:29 pm

Wow, looking back over my posts… Maybe I should hold off on typing until I have my lappy open (though I AM glad we can sign in at all on mobile devices, now).

Welmosca said:

May 7th, 12:31 pm

@ 5 jhernandez360 – Couldn’t agree more…this is a thing they should’ve done since the beginning…they did an unnecessary thing like change the store design instead of what is really needed like a feature to sort the download list…6 months ago I had my HDD corrupted and for people like me who have more than 600 downloads on the list its really annoying and time consuming to roll all the way down to find your contents.

Welmosca said:

May 7th, 12:34 pm

BTW I wish that Guacamelee had a good discount for Plus members…something like 75% off….then I could grab it…I really wanna play that game but dont wanna pay high for it lol.

tusunami said:

May 7th, 12:46 pm

Which i would like to say it’s about time, we should have already had a section in the store for this. But it’s still good to see we finally have a section for indie games!!!!!!!!!

AliciaDarky said:

May 7th, 12:50 pm

It would be really awesome to play Cave Story on PS3… Just saying O.o.

Vidarcr said:

May 7th, 1:47 pm

@65 I assure you that Guacamelee is worth the asking price. Great fun, great gameplay, one of the best $15 I’ve spent in a long time. hell, if the game wasn´t cross-buy, I wouldn’t mind to pay twice for it just to have it on the go and support the developer.

Vcheese said:

May 7th, 1:54 pm

When is my last chance to get zombie tycoon II before it leaves plus?

Go_Buddie_Go said:

May 7th, 1:55 pm

Huge supporter of indie games, I love ’em! Purchased every game except Dragon Fantasy Book(?) from the Spring Fever collection, downloaded Zombie Tycoon II since it was free and expected it to be horrible, I was so wrong, I love the game, it’s good fun and challenging if you want the Platinum.z

Keep supporting indie games, Sony. You’re the reason we have such awesome experiences like Journey and The Unfinished Swan.

Vcheese said:

May 7th, 2:00 pm

Never mind i saw it leaves on the 28th.

Gamefreek67 said:

May 7th, 2:08 pm

This is an awesome announcement! i am a huge supporter of Indie games and Indie developers. This will definitely make it easier to find all the games that I want to buy!

ROBERT3370 said:

May 7th, 2:41 pm

Pleasssssssssse make minecraft fo PS vita or Ps3!

killer25318 said:

May 7th, 4:11 pm

thats great should be easy to find the indie games

RulitoCR said:

May 7th, 4:31 pm

Looks great!! Awesome games will be in that category!!

DizaumBR said:

May 7th, 5:47 pm

Good.

But we need desperately a filter like “my games”, “my demos” showing only those we had already downloaded.
A way to sort the downloads list would be very welcomed too.

PrimeroIncognito said:

May 7th, 7:38 pm

@ Rezolution77

You don’t even realize what an ass you’re making of yourself.

You’re the troll, because you decided to post nothing but negativity. Not even constructive criticism… just plain ol’ negativity.

Can the conspiracy theories. People who disagree with you aren’t industry employees just because they reject with your ridiculous argument. People simply don’t want to sift through a sea of garbage comments from stooges such as yourself just to find a few bits of useful information from others who share the same interest as them. Is that so hard to understand?

If you’re not interested, just don’t click on it. The same way you’ll never see me going to church… I’m just not interested. There’s no need to stand outside the church and tell all the patrons that all this church crap is taking attention away from true spirituality… moron. Go to a forum where people of your type are dwelling and converse with them instead.

PrimeroIncognito said:

May 7th, 7:41 pm

By the way, Indie games kick ass. Most of them do, anyway. Many are better than big-budget, so-called “AAA” titles.

b4god3 said:

May 8th, 12:19 am

as much as i look forward to all these interesing new updates i cant help but to feel like some of the other features are slacking a bit…like video chats and as fast as things are going now days i wonder how far off vr mmo rpgs are… yea that does sound cool

PanTheMan16 said:

May 8th, 3:14 am

Just wanted to say that The Unfinished Swan is one of the most wonderful games I have ever experienced. I work from home and always have music playing while I do, and The Unfinished Swan soundtrack is the ONLY thing I have listened to for weeks. Over and over and over and over again!

iurifiedorukus said:

May 8th, 6:03 am

More than promoting, Sony needs to give us indie developers, a way to build games (not only minis that are locked to C#). I would love to port my game to PS3 (already did for PS2 using unofficial and free SDK), but, currently, there is no way of rewritting the whole code to C# to use minis sdk.
Maybe you could create a kind of small devkit (without any way of distribution or running it on other console than yours, easy thing to do, as you can lock the SDK to the serial number of your PS3) that allows development similar to the official devkit? Then, later, the indie developer would negotiate and pay to distribute. This is how iOS works, and works fine, as you can see from Apple’s balance.

Welmosca said:

May 8th, 10:10 am

@ 68 Vidarcr – Yes..I know its worth $15 but I have only $10 on my wallet…and I dont have too much money to spend now…dont get me wrong I’m not saying that Guacamelee isn’t worth of $15…I know its a great game….I just would like a discount so I could buy it with the money that I have on my wallet.

Ansger said:

May 8th, 6:32 pm

The picture reminds me, I would love to see Journey on the vita. Is there any way that would even be possible?

Mjaaan said:

May 9th, 10:09 am

when is this coming to Norway? Still not a idie section in my store

herbalsticky said:

May 9th, 8:08 pm

So.. Why is this under the PS4 category?

decoly2 said:

June 1st, 2:50 am

I think creating the new category will bring a new era to PS3. I have been waiting for this for a long time! Good job Playstation!

PAGE 1 2