Paragon

May 08

May 08

Celebrating 15 Years Of Gran Turismo

Penrose Tackie's Avatar Posted by European Brand Manager

Gran Turismo Invite

A little over 15 years ago, what was then a small Japanese studio (headed up by Kazunori Yamauchi) embarked upon on a journey that would enrich the lives of many millions of gamers. The journey that the team undertook set new benchmarks in graphics, game physics and sheer entertainment factor.

Gran TurismoGran Turismo 2

That studio eventually became known as Polyphony Digital, and the brand they created was — of course — Gran Turismo.

15 years after that seminal moment, and after who knows how many billions of miles driven collectively by Gran Turismo gamers all over the world, I am very pleased to announce a special Gran Turismo 15th Anniversary Event taking place May 15th at Silverstone Race Circuit, England.

Gran Turismo 3Gran Turismo 4Gran Turismo PSP

The event will be a celebration of all that Gran Turismo has come to represent to a community of millions all over the world, and will involve many of the car manufacturers who have been part of that incredible 15 year journey.

At the event, Kazunori Yamauchi will also be making some exciting announcements about the future of the brand. Activities will be covered live right here on PlayStation.Blog, at gran-turismo.com, and on Twitter (#15YearsOfGT).

Gran Turismo 5 PrologueGran Turismo 5

To whet your appetite for what is to come for the real driving simulator, watch the trailer below.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

tinycpw91 said:

May 8th, 10:10 am

Sweet, can’t wait to see what you guys have up your sleeves. This should hopefully hold me over until E3……hopefully.

GeoDarky said:

May 8th, 10:11 am

I haven’t been this excited since Feb 20 PS4 reveal, i’m die-hard GT fan i can’t wait for the arrival of the new iteration from the legendary GT series

Mando44646 said:

May 8th, 10:15 am

a new GT? Why announce this when the PS4 is launching with a shiny new racing game announced back at the PS4 announcement?

FUNKYbyNature said:

May 8th, 10:16 am

Please release a PS4 version of Gran Turismo or a Prologue version… I want GT on PS4 !!!

Spine999 said:

May 8th, 10:19 am

GT6 for PS4 :)

infamousXX87XX said:

May 8th, 10:19 am

GT6!!!!!

Craiji said:

May 8th, 10:19 am

Hopefully there is some Vita love.

Spine999 said:

May 8th, 10:19 am

Or a Vita version would be great too

GAM3R_16 said:

May 8th, 10:27 am

@Mando44646 1. How do you know Drive Club is a launch title? 2. They are very different games 3. Obviously they wont launch at the same time 4. There is always room for more racing games :)

KazeEternal said:

May 8th, 10:28 am

GT6 for PS3? Just so long as GT7 is waiting for 2015.

Ratchet1848 said:

May 8th, 10:31 am

I love Gran Turismo and if it wasn’t for the first game, I probably wouldn’t have ever purchased the Playstation in the first place. I also love my PSVita. If there is not a Vita GT announced along with anything else that is announced, I can only believe that Sony has given up on the Vita completely.

I am not a Vita doomsayer but that is the truth. The best selling Playstation Franchise needs to be on this awesome handheld. GT PSP was a taste and now we need the whole meal.

gldoorii said:

May 8th, 10:36 am

This really better be a GT game on Vita…

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

May 8th, 10:37 am

They should first release a GT for the VITA..then later next year a GT for the PS4..#ITJUSTMAKESSENCE
I would be really looking forward to the graphics…if ridge racer looks stunning imaging how AMAZINGLY STUNNING GT would look..a AAA game like this with the VITA LAUNCH wouldve made HUGE SALES..and a game slike GOD OF WAR or MOTORSTORM (the original not that mini car crap – smh) or even a GTA or SAINTS ROW GAME.. #MY2CENTS

MarinoBrea said:

May 8th, 10:38 am

This really better be a GT game on PS4!

mudismyname1 said:

May 8th, 10:40 am

GT1 was the first PSone game I ever owned. If it wasn’t for it I don’t know if I would own anything PS. IMO GT2 was the best one ever made.

Nightmare142 said:

May 8th, 10:43 am

PS vita/PS4 Gran Turismo please :) will celebrate by playing some GT.

samthetiger4376 said:

May 8th, 10:44 am

While I would love another GT game for either my PS3 or soon to have PS4. I would absolutely love one for my Vita. The Vita needs love from Playstation’s top selling franchise.

TheTwelve said:

May 8th, 10:47 am

Gran Turismo 6!!! I always get excited about every Gran Turismo. Ever since part 1, it’s the only racing game I’ve ever needed. Bring it, Sony!!!

Avalanche said:

May 8th, 10:49 am

the blank space at the end of the video blinks 3 times

Gran Turismo Vita
Gran Turismo 5(Ps3)
Gran Turismo 6(PS4)

Avalanche said:

May 8th, 10:50 am

Gran Turismo Vita
Gran Turismo 6(Ps3)
Gran Turismo 7(PS4)

DoTheKiller91 said:

May 8th, 10:54 am

Will this announcement be live streamed on the blog or PS Home?

UnholyBahamut said:

May 8th, 10:57 am

Oh my….does this mean GT6?

snakeeyes211 said:

May 8th, 10:58 am

I am loving it:-)
I remember is a kid playing my first GT game talk about time passes by wow

snakeeyes211 said:

May 8th, 10:59 am

I am loving it:-)
I remember as a kid playing my first GT game talk about time passes by wow

Gadirok said:

May 8th, 11:06 am

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

WE NEED “5OUL on D!SPLAY” for the trailer’s music RIGHT NOW!

Please let there be another epic track as good as 5OUL on D!SPLAY

TheUndertaker85 said:

May 8th, 11:20 am

Hopefully a Gran Turismo for the Vita! I wouldn’t be disappointed by a GT for PS4 announcement either. If it’s both please include some type of cross bonus. Doesn’t have to be cross buy but would be awesome.

gohan16ken said:

May 8th, 11:25 am

Please bring GT as a digital download on the PS3. Thanks.

kivi95 said:

May 8th, 11:25 am

“Announcements”!!!???

Hopefully this means a GT game for PSvita and PS3/PS4.

NYPUNK88 said:

May 8th, 11:27 am

GT6 confirmed! I want Oculus Rift support! Sony make this happen and you’ll win next-gen! Oculus Rift + Move would be VR dream come true.

TurismoM3 said:

May 8th, 11:30 am

Can’t wait for May 15th. GT6 for PS3, PS4 and PS Vita!!!!!!!

Also, why don’t you guys release some of the old games on PSN. Like GT1 and GT2 as PSone classics for PS3 and Vita.

CaruthK said:

May 8th, 11:36 am

Hey they are for getting Tourist Trophy that came out in 2006. It was all about bikes. I’m mad I still up to this day I’ve never played it.

CaruthK said:

May 8th, 11:39 am

I would love to download GT for the vita can we make that happen already?

DJKim0701 said:

May 8th, 11:43 am

Gran Turismo 6, GT HD collection with trophy support, or GT on Vita whatever you decide!!

Flannels111 said:

May 8th, 11:55 am

I just can’t see myself getting the vita ever. It has very few games right now and it doesn’t look it will get many games in the future, and by the time ps4 comes out vita will be a list cause. That being said, a vita GT game would be good for the system, but I would focus on a more widely loved franchise such as infamous. I really hope this Gt game is for ps4.

Flannels111 said:

May 8th, 11:56 am

Lost Cause*

xxnike629xx said:

May 8th, 12:00 pm

Maybe we’ll get a Gran Turismo HD Collection with Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3, 4, and the PSP one.

Ratchet1848 said:

May 8th, 12:05 pm

@30

Re-issuing GT1 and 2 would involve getting the license for every car and song in the game which is impossible because some of the car manufactures no longer exist.

@34

There is no more widely loved franchise for Sony than Gran Turismo. It is the best selling franchise they have. Nothing else comes close. Gran Turismo has sold over 60million copies and the next closest is Ratchet and Clank with just over 25 million. If Gran Turismo can’t sell Vita’s, nothing can.

tusunami said:

May 8th, 12:13 pm

Cool a new GT game those developers are amazing more info asap!!!!!!!

JROD0823 said:

May 8th, 12:16 pm

I don’t care what GT game is getting announced, I want ALL future GT releases (Collector’s Editions, Console Bundles, etc) to be equally obtainable worldwide.

Screw this Japan and Europe exclusive crap.

poodude said:

May 8th, 12:29 pm

IT’S GRAN TURISMO 6…

…for PSP :p.

Flannels111 said:

May 8th, 12:35 pm

@37 do you think people without a vita will be encouraged to buy a vita for a racing game that there is on every playstation console, or for an epic action game with unique gameplay and would be the first mobile game in the franchise?

Ratchet1848 said:

May 8th, 12:46 pm

@41

I actually do, since the best selling PSP game that doesn’t have to do with hunting monsters in Japan is GT. If you want to go for the world wide audience and not just Japan, Gran Turismo is your go to game. And since Nintendo seems to have locked up Monster Hunter in Japan…..

Anyway, any love Vita gets I am happy about.

danpan11 said:

May 8th, 12:58 pm

I really hope this has something to do with a GT Vita game. I want driving simulation on the go!!!

Pulseman said:

May 8th, 12:58 pm

Let’s hope the new GT will have all new race tracks/circuits because, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am tired of replaying the exact same tracks from previous GT games every time a new GT is released.

Polyphony Digital, please use your imagination to create your own fantasy race tracks/worlds and back away from reusing old race tracks. If you stop reshuffling tracks, I will be the first one in line to buy it. If on the other hand you choose to reuse the same old same old tracks then I will pass. Sorry, but we need new experiences.

SergioCosmopolis said:

May 8th, 1:13 pm

I’ve played GT since the first one and have always loved the series but GT5 was disappointing especially when compared to how fantastic Forza 4 is. I hope the devs have played F4 and aren’t going to just roll out another graphical update. GT5 felt like GT4 HD.

twentyXDsix said:

May 8th, 1:24 pm

Boring. Next?

Simeon718 said:

May 8th, 1:24 pm

Three flashes? 3 Games?

1 2 3 4 5 _ _ _

_ = Vita
_ = 6 PS3
_ = 7 PS4

that-acmilan-guy said:

May 8th, 1:25 pm

Maybe finally make a game where 4/5 of the cars are not PS2 models. Also with a proper interface and multiplayer matchmaking.

Major_Hoare said:

May 8th, 1:39 pm

How about instead of patting yourselves on the back you guys work on getting GT PS4 ready?! The PS3 experience for this franchise was embarrassing.

PhillyTheCat said:

May 8th, 2:13 pm

5 starts?!
I’ve never seen that before….
Awesome