No Man's Sky

Celebrating 15 Years Of Gran Turismo

Penrose Tackie's Avatar + Posted by Penrose Tackie on May 08, 2013 // European Brand Manager

Gran Turismo Invite

A little over 15 years ago, what was then a small Japanese studio (headed up by Kazunori Yamauchi) embarked upon on a journey that would enrich the lives of many millions of gamers. The journey that the team undertook set new benchmarks in graphics, game physics and sheer entertainment factor.

Gran TurismoGran Turismo 2

That studio eventually became known as Polyphony Digital, and the brand they created was — of course — Gran Turismo.

15 years after that seminal moment, and after who knows how many billions of miles driven collectively by Gran Turismo gamers all over the world, I am very pleased to announce a special Gran Turismo 15th Anniversary Event taking place May 15th at Silverstone Race Circuit, England.

Gran Turismo 3Gran Turismo 4Gran Turismo PSP

The event will be a celebration of all that Gran Turismo has come to represent to a community of millions all over the world, and will involve many of the car manufacturers who have been part of that incredible 15 year journey.

At the event, Kazunori Yamauchi will also be making some exciting announcements about the future of the brand. Activities will be covered live right here on PlayStation.Blog, at gran-turismo.com, and on Twitter (#15YearsOfGT).

Gran Turismo 5 PrologueGran Turismo 5

To whet your appetite for what is to come for the real driving simulator, watch the trailer below.

93 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ tinycpw91 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:10 am said:

Sweet, can’t wait to see what you guys have up your sleeves. This should hopefully hold me over until E3……hopefully.

+ GeoDarky on May 8th, 2013 at 10:11 am said:

I haven’t been this excited since Feb 20 PS4 reveal, i’m die-hard GT fan i can’t wait for the arrival of the new iteration from the legendary GT series

+ Mando44646 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:15 am said:

a new GT? Why announce this when the PS4 is launching with a shiny new racing game announced back at the PS4 announcement?

+ FUNKYbyNature on May 8th, 2013 at 10:16 am said:

Please release a PS4 version of Gran Turismo or a Prologue version… I want GT on PS4 !!!

+ Spine999 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:19 am said:

GT6 for PS4 :)

+ infamousXX87XX on May 8th, 2013 at 10:19 am said:

GT6!!!!!

+ Craiji on May 8th, 2013 at 10:19 am said:

Hopefully there is some Vita love.

+ Spine999 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:19 am said:

Or a Vita version would be great too

+ GAM3R_16 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

@Mando44646 1. How do you know Drive Club is a launch title? 2. They are very different games 3. Obviously they wont launch at the same time 4. There is always room for more racing games :)

+ KazeEternal on May 8th, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

GT6 for PS3? Just so long as GT7 is waiting for 2015.

+ Ratchet1848 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:31 am said:

I love Gran Turismo and if it wasn’t for the first game, I probably wouldn’t have ever purchased the Playstation in the first place. I also love my PSVita. If there is not a Vita GT announced along with anything else that is announced, I can only believe that Sony has given up on the Vita completely.

I am not a Vita doomsayer but that is the truth. The best selling Playstation Franchise needs to be on this awesome handheld. GT PSP was a taste and now we need the whole meal.

+ gldoorii on May 8th, 2013 at 10:36 am said:

This really better be a GT game on Vita…

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

They should first release a GT for the VITA..then later next year a GT for the PS4..#ITJUSTMAKESSENCE
I would be really looking forward to the graphics…if ridge racer looks stunning imaging how AMAZINGLY STUNNING GT would look..a AAA game like this with the VITA LAUNCH wouldve made HUGE SALES..and a game slike GOD OF WAR or MOTORSTORM (the original not that mini car crap – smh) or even a GTA or SAINTS ROW GAME.. #MY2CENTS

+ MarinoBrea on May 8th, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

This really better be a GT game on PS4!

+ mudismyname1 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:40 am said:

GT1 was the first PSone game I ever owned. If it wasn’t for it I don’t know if I would own anything PS. IMO GT2 was the best one ever made.

+ Nightmare142 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

PS vita/PS4 Gran Turismo please :) will celebrate by playing some GT.

+ samthetiger4376 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:44 am said:

While I would love another GT game for either my PS3 or soon to have PS4. I would absolutely love one for my Vita. The Vita needs love from Playstation’s top selling franchise.

+ TheTwelve on May 8th, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

Gran Turismo 6!!! I always get excited about every Gran Turismo. Ever since part 1, it’s the only racing game I’ve ever needed. Bring it, Sony!!!

+ Avalanche on May 8th, 2013 at 10:49 am said:

the blank space at the end of the video blinks 3 times

Gran Turismo Vita
Gran Turismo 5(Ps3)
Gran Turismo 6(PS4)

+ Avalanche on May 8th, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

Gran Turismo Vita
Gran Turismo 6(Ps3)
Gran Turismo 7(PS4)

+ DoTheKiller91 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

Will this announcement be live streamed on the blog or PS Home?

+ UnholyBahamut on May 8th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Oh my….does this mean GT6?

+ snakeeyes211 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

I am loving it:-)
I remember is a kid playing my first GT game talk about time passes by wow

+ snakeeyes211 on May 8th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

I am loving it:-)
I remember as a kid playing my first GT game talk about time passes by wow

+ Gadirok on May 8th, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

WE NEED “5OUL on D!SPLAY” for the trailer’s music RIGHT NOW!

Please let there be another epic track as good as 5OUL on D!SPLAY

+ TheUndertaker85 on May 8th, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

Hopefully a Gran Turismo for the Vita! I wouldn’t be disappointed by a GT for PS4 announcement either. If it’s both please include some type of cross bonus. Doesn’t have to be cross buy but would be awesome.

+ gohan16ken on May 8th, 2013 at 11:25 am said:

Please bring GT as a digital download on the PS3. Thanks.

+ kivi95 on May 8th, 2013 at 11:25 am said:

“Announcements”!!!???

Hopefully this means a GT game for PSvita and PS3/PS4.

+ NYPUNK88 on May 8th, 2013 at 11:27 am said:

GT6 confirmed! I want Oculus Rift support! Sony make this happen and you’ll win next-gen! Oculus Rift + Move would be VR dream come true.

+ TurismoM3 on May 8th, 2013 at 11:30 am said:

Can’t wait for May 15th. GT6 for PS3, PS4 and PS Vita!!!!!!!

Also, why don’t you guys release some of the old games on PSN. Like GT1 and GT2 as PSone classics for PS3 and Vita.

+ CaruthK on May 8th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

Hey they are for getting Tourist Trophy that came out in 2006. It was all about bikes. I’m mad I still up to this day I’ve never played it.

+ CaruthK on May 8th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

I would love to download GT for the vita can we make that happen already?

+ DJKim0701 on May 8th, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

Gran Turismo 6, GT HD collection with trophy support, or GT on Vita whatever you decide!!

+ Flannels111 on May 8th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

I just can’t see myself getting the vita ever. It has very few games right now and it doesn’t look it will get many games in the future, and by the time ps4 comes out vita will be a list cause. That being said, a vita GT game would be good for the system, but I would focus on a more widely loved franchise such as infamous. I really hope this Gt game is for ps4.

+ Flannels111 on May 8th, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

Lost Cause*

+ xxnike629xx on May 8th, 2013 at 12:00 pm said:

Maybe we’ll get a Gran Turismo HD Collection with Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3, 4, and the PSP one.

+ Ratchet1848 on May 8th, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

@30

Re-issuing GT1 and 2 would involve getting the license for every car and song in the game which is impossible because some of the car manufactures no longer exist.

@34

There is no more widely loved franchise for Sony than Gran Turismo. It is the best selling franchise they have. Nothing else comes close. Gran Turismo has sold over 60million copies and the next closest is Ratchet and Clank with just over 25 million. If Gran Turismo can’t sell Vita’s, nothing can.

+ tusunami on May 8th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

Cool a new GT game those developers are amazing more info asap!!!!!!!

+ JROD0823 on May 8th, 2013 at 12:16 pm said:

I don’t care what GT game is getting announced, I want ALL future GT releases (Collector’s Editions, Console Bundles, etc) to be equally obtainable worldwide.

Screw this Japan and Europe exclusive crap.

+ poodude on May 8th, 2013 at 12:29 pm said:

IT’S GRAN TURISMO 6…

…for PSP :p.

+ Flannels111 on May 8th, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

@37 do you think people without a vita will be encouraged to buy a vita for a racing game that there is on every playstation console, or for an epic action game with unique gameplay and would be the first mobile game in the franchise?

+ Ratchet1848 on May 8th, 2013 at 12:46 pm said:

@41

I actually do, since the best selling PSP game that doesn’t have to do with hunting monsters in Japan is GT. If you want to go for the world wide audience and not just Japan, Gran Turismo is your go to game. And since Nintendo seems to have locked up Monster Hunter in Japan…..

Anyway, any love Vita gets I am happy about.

+ danpan11 on May 8th, 2013 at 12:58 pm said:

I really hope this has something to do with a GT Vita game. I want driving simulation on the go!!!

+ Pulseman on May 8th, 2013 at 12:58 pm said:

Let’s hope the new GT will have all new race tracks/circuits because, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am tired of replaying the exact same tracks from previous GT games every time a new GT is released.

Polyphony Digital, please use your imagination to create your own fantasy race tracks/worlds and back away from reusing old race tracks. If you stop reshuffling tracks, I will be the first one in line to buy it. If on the other hand you choose to reuse the same old same old tracks then I will pass. Sorry, but we need new experiences.

+ SergioCosmopolis on May 8th, 2013 at 1:13 pm said:

I’ve played GT since the first one and have always loved the series but GT5 was disappointing especially when compared to how fantastic Forza 4 is. I hope the devs have played F4 and aren’t going to just roll out another graphical update. GT5 felt like GT4 HD.

+ twentyXDsix on May 8th, 2013 at 1:24 pm said:

Boring. Next?

+ Simeon718 on May 8th, 2013 at 1:24 pm said:

Three flashes? 3 Games?

1 2 3 4 5 _ _ _

_ = Vita
_ = 6 PS3
_ = 7 PS4

+ that-acmilan-guy on May 8th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

Maybe finally make a game where 4/5 of the cars are not PS2 models. Also with a proper interface and multiplayer matchmaking.

+ Major_Hoare on May 8th, 2013 at 1:39 pm said:

How about instead of patting yourselves on the back you guys work on getting GT PS4 ready?! The PS3 experience for this franchise was embarrassing.

+ PhillyTheCat on May 8th, 2013 at 2:13 pm said:

5 starts?!
I’ve never seen that before….
Awesome