PS4 - Destiny

Atomic Ninjas Storm PS3, PS Vita Later This Year

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar + Posted by Jakub Mikyska on May 16, 2013 // CEO, Grip Games

Hello Everybody!

This is Jakub from Grip Games! We’re the folks behind 5-in-1 Arcade Hits, The Impossible Game and Foosball 2012. And after being locked up in our top secret underground lab (A.K.A. the garage) for some time, we’re back with our newest creation – Atomic Ninjas! For PS3 and PS Vita.

Atomic Ninjas storm PS3, PS Vita later this year

So, what’s this all about, you ask? Atomic Ninjas is 2.5D multiplayer platformer with ninjas. You will control super-powered ninjas in frantic online matches against other players, with tons of charm and humor. If the Fat Princess and Crash Commando had a child, it would be Atomic Ninjas (though the idea is a bit disturbing, no?).

While the game relies on traditional jumping and shooting mechanics, you will be unable to directly kill other players. Instead, you must outsmart and outflank your opponents and kill them using various environmental hazards and obstacles, such as lava pits, laser beams, traps, moving platforms, falling crates, etc. Don’t forget that these are Atomic Ninjas… something as banal as a katana between ribs won’t do the trick anymore!

Atomic Ninjas storm PS3, PS Vita later this year Atomic Ninjas storm PS3, PS Vita later this year

Each one of the game’s seven arenas is like a playfield with an infinite number of possibilities to eliminate the competition. There are pick-ups, crates, lifts, air vents, levers, ninja-launchers, hiding spots and traps for you to experiment with. The most malicious players will be the most successful ones. Atomic Ninjas is not just about twitch reflexes, but also about malevolent creativity, playfulness and exploring the game’s possibilities.

We have a plenty of game modes in the bag for you, like Deathmatch, Capture the flag, Treasure hunt and many others, including team-based competitions. Each ninja will be able to use super-powers, such as invisibility, flying, or telekinesis, to add another tactical layer to the matches.

But there is also a lot of humor that is typical of our games. The game’s graphics are bright and colourful, boasting a “blocky” visual style and comical presentation, mixed with slapstick brutality.

Split-screen multiplayer matches and single-player offline matches against bots are also supported. Players on PlayStation 3 will be able to play against players on PlayStation Vita and save files will be automatically synchronized between the two systems, if you are using the same PSN account.

Atomic Ninjas will be released exclusively for the PlayStation Network this summer.

I hope you are going to like and enjoy Atomic Ninjas just as much as we do! Check our website, or give a social visit on Facebook and Twitter for a stream of new content and information about Atomic Ninjas. We will also keep posting new updates here on the PlayStation Blog. See you soon!

+ GT-420 on May 16th, 2013 at 9:41 am said:

Crash Commando is my favorite PSN game of all time and I still play it today, so you have my attention. I can’t stand Fat Princess though, way too sluggish compared to the fast paced Crash Commando.

I hope you guys put out a demo.

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on May 16th, 2013 at 9:59 am said:

This game is definitely not sluggish. It’s super-frantic :-)

+ IIL0YDII on May 16th, 2013 at 9:45 am said:

PS Vita going to have new 100 games by the end of the year, indie and this kind of games?

+ TainoGunslinger on May 16th, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

Looks cool. Please release a demo so we can try it out. Also, make sure the demo supports online play.

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on May 16th, 2013 at 9:59 am said:

Do you promise to buy it if we do? ;-)

+ NinjaMicWZ on May 16th, 2013 at 9:56 am said:

Awesome. Looks and sounds great.

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 16th, 2013 at 10:04 am said:

I can’t keep up with all these vita games! But this does sound pretty cool, demo please?

+ ECisMe on May 16th, 2013 at 10:05 am said:

Jakub,

Title looks very promising. When it comes to any 2.5D platformer, however, I am always concerned with the perspective. Without careful adjustment, the 2.5D graphical choice can lead to poor differentiation between the game space and the background. I can’t tell you how many games with this visual style have frustrated me with jumps to platforms I thought were there, but were really just background scenery. The screenshots appear to show a lot of depth to the walkable platforms, so I hope it isn’t an issue here. Looking forward to trying the game.

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on May 16th, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

The differentiation between walkable patforms and background is big. We are intentionally keeping the visual style simple and “blocky” for better orientation.

+ xClayMeow on May 16th, 2013 at 10:18 am said:

The art style looks great and I’m intrigued by the unique gameplay tactics (not being able to directly kill anyone). Is it only 4-person MP? Didn’t see the number of players mentioned.

Anywho, I’m looking forward to seeing a gameplay video! But like others, I’d really appreciate a demo because I’m sorry to say, but I found Foosball to be absolutely horrible (at least on the Vita…I don’t own a PS3).

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on May 16th, 2013 at 10:25 am said:

Yeah, it’s up to 4 people in one match. It seems like too few, I know, but we have actually tested this a lot and lowered the limit from 8 to 6 and then to 4 and found out this is the most fun. It allowed us to make smaller, but more intensive arenas.

+ Mando44646 on May 16th, 2013 at 10:20 am said:

Looks interesting…. but release a demo please. Even better, a demo before the release of the game so you can get launch day sales from those who have tried it

+ CaptainRadical on May 16th, 2013 at 10:21 am said:

This looks and sounds kinda cool… But I’d have to try it first, so as someone else mentioned a demo would be awesome. Still, no promises…

However I would promise to buy Crash Commando again if you put that on the Vita.

+ lemmingwarrior on May 16th, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

this game sounds fun ill buy it on the blind if its got a plus discount

+ mockduck on May 16th, 2013 at 11:03 am said:

Cool! Will consider checking it out, as I thought the Foosball 2012 was well done (although I was never able to get online matches be lag-free enough to play.)

+ Gamzinga on May 16th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

The game looks really addictive.

+ Rrans on May 16th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

PLEASE PUT A DEMO (PS VITA)

+ PainOfSarrow on May 16th, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

Crash Commando is my top psn game. i play it hours on in every weekend. i shot GT-420 into itty bitty pieces many times before. i hope this game is as good as you make it sound. il buy most likely.

+ PainOfSarrow on May 16th, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

ohh and The Impossible Game is my Fav Mini of all time.

+ xClayMeow on May 16th, 2013 at 12:51 pm said:

Thanks for the reply! I didn’t mean to imply I felt four players was too small, just wanted to know since it wasn’t stated.

+ JesseCusterDan on May 16th, 2013 at 1:11 pm said:

Nice… but, what I really wanted to see on Vita is new triple A titles… A new Uncharted, maybe a God of War, a Gta…

+ Darth_NODlike on May 16th, 2013 at 1:24 pm said:

Game sounds very interesting. I really like Foosball, but I must have missed Crash Commando. Keep up the great work and I will check out Crash this weekend!

+ poodude on May 16th, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

Looking forward to it. Really enjoyed the Foosball game you guys put out!

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on May 16th, 2013 at 2:21 pm said:

Thank you!

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on May 16th, 2013 at 2:16 pm said:

Thanks for the great feedback! We all here really appreciate it!

+ Matrix_Lion on May 16th, 2013 at 3:56 pm said:

This is such a cool looking game. This is a must cop for me.

+ tusunami on May 16th, 2013 at 3:58 pm said:

This is good news for PS Vita more great games whooyaah!!!!!!!!!

+ Ryumoau on May 16th, 2013 at 4:24 pm said:

Looks interesting.

+ lisatsunami on May 16th, 2013 at 5:03 pm said:

Yay, more Vita games, thanks!

+ Ricky7250 on May 16th, 2013 at 6:24 pm said:

+ Jakub Mikyska on May 16th, 2013 at 9:59 am said:
Do you promise to buy it if we do? ;-)

Honestly, I’d probably buy it just for putting out a demo, no one does demos anymore, it really annoys me, if developers are so scared to put out a demo, don’t make a bad game.

Jakub Mikyska's Avatar

+ Jakub Mikyska on May 17th, 2013 at 1:23 am said:

A popular opinion among many developers is that people who play demos don’t buy games. Regardless of whether they like the demo or not.

+ PrimeroIncognito on May 16th, 2013 at 8:05 pm said:

Holy !@#$

Ryumoau made a post without saying a single negative thing!

Did hell freeze over?

Anyway, I’m always interested in anything by Grip Games. I’ll be keeping my eye on this.

+ Rezolution77 on May 17th, 2013 at 12:46 pm said:

Isn’t this a little like a title already out?

Ummmm……..

like Playstation Allstars?

+ chrs_wild74 on May 17th, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

This sound amazingly fun! :)

+ sic2291 on May 18th, 2013 at 11:49 am said:

I might check this out. I really don’t think a $5-10 game needs to have a demo.

+ MONTENERO on May 21st, 2013 at 2:03 pm said: