PS4-The Order

Just One More Minute: Taking to the Skies in LUFTRAUSERS

Rami Ismail's Avatar + Posted by Rami Ismail on May 21, 2013 // Vlambeer

LUFTRAUSERS on PS3 and PS Vita

LUFTRAUSERS is a short game. To be precise, it takes about thirty seconds. We’re not talking in terms of hours you need to complete the campaign, although you technically could beat it within two minutes. We’re not even talking about how many hours you’ll be playing the game in total. What we’re talking about is the amount of time a single round of LUFTRAUSERS is going to take you.

When you boot the game for the first time on your PlayStation 3 or PS Vita, you’ll see the logos of Vlambeer and Devolver Digital – as you’d expect. There’ll be a short introductory cutscene, as a lone dot appears on enemy radar. A submarine rises from the water.

The structure of the game is really simple. You start out with the original LUFTRAUSER, the most powerful airplane ever built. It is launched perfectly vertical from a submarine that only submerges for the shortest of moments to allow you to establish yourself as the nightmare of the many enemies surrounding you.

Luftrausers on PS3 and PS VitaLuftrausers on PS3 and PS Vita

A game of LUFTRAUSERS is essentially you trying to survive against increasing odds. While at first you might engage only basic fighter planes, it’ll take an average player just moments to lure out more powerful foes – fighter jets and boats. You’ll pull impressive maneuvers to dodge their fire while returning a constant spray of bullets. Only every now and then will you release the fire button to allow your airplane to repair itself. Eventually, you succumb to the crossfire in a glorious explosion.

This should be about thirty seconds after you boot up the game.

If you were good at the game, you’d be fighting the final boss in approximately sixty seconds. Of course, you just got started so you’re probably terrible at the game, although admittedly, you probably did pull some crazy acrobatics.

Luftrausers on PS3 and PS VitaLuftrausers on PS3 and PS Vita

You start over and the game introduces missions that you can complete to unlock new LUFTRAUSER parts. While you slowly start to come to grips with the game and clear some missions, your average game time is still under fifty seconds. You might’ve seen a larger sea vessel at this point, but they’re mighty enemies that you simply cannot manage to defeat.
We don’t think a ‘run’ has to be long. We think that at the end of each run, you should feel like you know what you did wrong or what you could do better.

You start unlocking parts – engines, weapons and body parts that you can combine to create 125 different combinations of LUFTRAUSER. Do you build a slower, but more heavily armored RAUSER with a heavy weapon and a submarine engine to take those larger, new boats? Maybe you prefer speed over armor, and maybe you like to get in close for melee damage?

As you learn to survive longer, your combos rack up higher. Your scores keep increasing. You start to understand how the game works and how each LUFTRAUSER handles. If you want to be truly good at this game, there are many more challenges you need to master. From enemy aces equipped with machineguns to classified entities – there’s a lot to learn before you can call yourself worthy of a real LUFTRAUSER pilot.

From our playtests we can tell you that an average game of LUFTRAUSERS is sixty-eight seconds. In that time, people kill about seventy to a hundred enemies. We can also tell you that about 30% of players have managed to ‘complete the game’ including the final boss.

We wanted to make a game about becoming the best fighter pilot in the world. If you’re willing to rise to that challenge, you’ll be meandering your favorite RAUSER through clouds of bullets, picking off stray foes and shooting down enemies a hundred times your size. We promise you though, that will not come easy. It will take practice.

We wanted to create a game that gets to the point without nonsense. We wanted to create a game that doesn’t hold your hand, that allows you to fail and get better.

Well, that and we really like explosions and absurd amounts of screen shake.

+ Biggz124 on May 21st, 2013 at 12:43 pm said:

1st?

looking forward to more info!

+ lisatsunami on May 21st, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

Yay, more Vita games, thanks!

+ DrApollo on May 21st, 2013 at 12:52 pm said:

Coming this summer?!

+ Rami Ismail on May 21st, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

Indeed!

+ Rezolution77 on May 21st, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

If it doesn’t cost much more than a nintendo game, I might conside it.

+ whatisdelicious on May 21st, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: At the end of every post about a game, there should be a release date, price, and platforms. I shouldn’t have to go elsewhere to Google it when I’m reading a post from the developers. If that stuff hasn’t been decided, just say so.

The game looks awesome. I just really want to know when I can finally play it.

+ Rami Ismail on May 21st, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

When we know these, we’ll let you know. It’ll probably be a month or two, depending on how quickly we can finish it and how long it’ll take for the game to go through certification.

+ PainOfSarrow on May 21st, 2013 at 1:09 pm said:

30 seconds ??? this better not be more then 1 cent then.

+ Elvick_ on May 21st, 2013 at 1:12 pm said:

@5: That’s pointless when the article says the platforms. Like this one does.

Release date and pricing take awhile to finalize. So make the assumption that they’ve yet to be announced, if they aren’t announcing it here.

+ cat9966 on May 21st, 2013 at 1:40 pm said:

Wow. It sounds really, really, really frustrating. I know it will appeal to a certain type of meta gamer, but that gamer isn’t me.

+ Rami Ismail on May 21st, 2013 at 1:55 pm said:

It’s really as ‘game’ game as we could make it. No holding hands, no shortcuts – just you honing your gaming skills and the enemies. But yeah, if you’re looking for a game that eases you through an epic story – this might not be for you. With how many indie games Sony is bringing to their platforms at the moment, we’re pretty sure there’ll be something for you in there, though.

+ veryhoudini11 on May 21st, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

@5 hahah did you have any luck with google on getting that info. i doubt you did, this has the most information at this time on the ps3/vita release. this game seems like a good buy. im excited for more info, right now reminds me of a very modern 1942. :)

+ MONTENERO on May 21st, 2013 at 1:48 pm said:

Another Flash game?
This is ridiculous – Microsoft announces exclusive content today for new Xbox from Fifa and CoD, but we are getting this?
“Xbox, sell my Vita on ebay.”

+ GhostMachine1 on May 21st, 2013 at 1:52 pm said:

Can’t wait for this game! Day one buy for sure! :D

+ Rami Ismail on May 21st, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

We’ve worked on it for a year now, so that is much appreciated <3

+ Haseeb11M on May 21st, 2013 at 2:27 pm said:

Can’t wait to play this, it looks awesome

+ Stompy_MwC on May 21st, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

Yup, this game is looking good! After reading the Blog post I went to the store to see how much it cost, thinking I might pick it up. Then I realized it hasn’t been released yet. :-) I gotta say, there’s something about seeing that plane fall out of the sky then gun the throttle and shoot off in a different direction that’s really stuck with me since that first video. I’m looking forward to pricing info!

+ gus_xl on May 21st, 2013 at 2:37 pm said:

I got a little LUFTRAUSER in my pants waiting for this game.

+ diskdocx on May 21st, 2013 at 5:42 pm said:

Looks interesting. Will certainly be watching for more info as the release comes closer.

Any idea on price point?

Trophy list? A platinum would be nice ;)

+ Rami Ismail on May 21st, 2013 at 6:10 pm said:

We’ll keep you up to date of all of that through Twitter, Facebook, our website and if they’ll have us again – this blog.

+ metaly on May 21st, 2013 at 5:58 pm said:

I played this last year at PAX and it was so fun! Can’t wait for it to come out so I can get a rematch.

+ Rami Ismail on May 21st, 2013 at 6:11 pm said:

Cool, then you definitely met me. Which PAX was that? Prime?

+ insano_jaco on May 22nd, 2013 at 12:51 am said:

Day1, the same way it was with Super Crate box.
When will you announce Ridiculous Fishing for PS Vita?
You better have this coming too, ok?

+ Elvick_ on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:04 am said:

Since you guys seem to get ripped off all the time by jerks on the App Store, I might just buy this to support you. I don’t really have an interest in the game itself though.

+ Rami Ismail on May 22nd, 2013 at 7:44 am said:

We’d super appreciate the support, but we’d rather that instead you get something you like from us (maybe in the merchandise store at http://store.vlambeer.com/ )? We think that if you like Super Crate Box, you’ll like this – but if you thought Super Crate Box was too rough – LUFTRAUSERS is way more accessible.

+ Eelfroth on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:25 am said:

I played this game at A Maze Indie Connect in Berlin this year. A lot. It just never gets boring and getting better at it is so satisfying! Luftrausers is more than worth it’s unannounced price!

+ Rami Ismail on May 22nd, 2013 at 7:45 am said:

+ toastedSopas on May 22nd, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

This reminds me of old school games. Will definitely get this, if it’s not pricey :P

+ N8Vosburgh on May 22nd, 2013 at 11:18 am said:

After Super Crate Box I’ve become a fan of Vlambeer.. Day-one buy for me.. I hope it’s crossbuy

+ tusunami on May 22nd, 2013 at 12:25 pm said:

This looks interesting & just may get this, but it depends exactly when it’s coming out though.

+ Rami Ismail on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:46 pm said:

We’re wrapping it up. After that what happens is we send it to Sony and they check for a long list of certification requirements ranging from obvious (don’t crash) to trivial (it’s X-button, not X-key). We’ll probably get the game back with a list of fixes we need to do, and basically we’ll end up repeating that dance for a few times. If everything goes right, it’ll take two to four weeks to go through that after we’re done.

+ plaztiksyke on May 22nd, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

Reminds me of an old CGA game I used to play called Sopwith :)

Who’s doing the music? Will the assets be 24-bit/lossless on PS3 and/or 320kbit/sec AAC on Vita?

Will it be 1080p native on PS3?

Please give us a unified trophy list like Thomas Was Alone did :)

Excited to play it! :)

+ Rami Ismail on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:48 pm said:

The music is done by Finnish musician Jukio ‘KOZILEK’ Kallio – which means you get the least subtle but powerful music you can get. Essentially – it’s exactly what we wanted for this game. To make things more interesting, he composed a modular system that led to 125 soundtracks – a unique soundtrack for each airplane you can build.

+ DeltaSigmaNoise on May 22nd, 2013 at 1:55 pm said:

I’ve wanted this game since the first teasers for it shown last year. Unless I’m mistaken, my friends are all planning to get it as well. Keep up the good work, guys! Love all your titles – and hoping that Ridiculous Fishing makes its way to the Vita as well.

+ Rami Ismail on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:49 pm said:

Thanks so, so much! We don’t think Ridiculous Fishing will come to Vita – it’s just a bit weird to make a game for Vita that doesn’t use its defining quality – the analog sticks.

+ beef_child on May 22nd, 2013 at 4:18 pm said:

I don’t mind these games on my vita, but I really, REALLY want console quality games there.

But if I could remote play my ps3 games, I would absolutely go out of my mind. I mostly play at home, but need to schedule around others wanting to watch TV.

REMOTE PLAY!!!

+ sevexpei on May 22nd, 2013 at 4:44 pm said:

Can’t wait! Super Crate Box was immensely addictive and this game sounds like it has a similar formula so it should be a blast.

+ LayonD_BR on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:29 pm said:

Will it be free?

+ Rami Ismail on May 22nd, 2013 at 6:48 pm said:

No. We kind of like to not die from starvation. ;)

+ LayonD_BR on May 22nd, 2013 at 7:20 pm said:

Less than 2USD?

+ peartboyz on May 23rd, 2013 at 11:44 am said:

You guys are at the top of my short list for incoming vita indie games. Seriously. It looks to me like you’ve taken the arcade style gameplay and difficulty of old thrown in some customization for a addictive collecting/limitless experimentations, and frosted the cake with enough explosions, bullets and screen shakes to make die hard blush.

+ peartboyz on May 23rd, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

Oh and on the slightly technical side, I would kinda love some trophies so I can show you guys my own loyalty through obsessive collecting. if not though the game looks great enough to keep me enthralled without them.

+ DeltaSigmaNoise on May 23rd, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

Ah, it’s a shame the Vita audience won’t be able to experience Ridiculous Fishing, but I understand what you mean. With that said, thanks for your time and effort you guys put into all of your games – and good luck!

+ bombbouncer3 on May 24th, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

not the flying game i wanted for the vita but oh well

+ swan-ton-bom on May 27th, 2013 at 4:04 am said:

I like it ^_^ how much will it cost, if I can get some detail on that?