PS4 - Transistor

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Hits PS3 2/11/14, New Trailer

Amritz Lay's Avatar + Posted by Amritz Lay on Jun 06, 2013 // Associate Director of Product Marketing, Square-Enix

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on PS3

Have you been counting down the minutes until Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII? If so, you’re definitely in luck as we have a slew of updates for you.

If you’ve been asleep since last September when we unveiled the game, here’s the gist of it: The world of Gran Pulse is sinking into the sea and what remains is Nova Chrysalia. With only thirteen days remaining until the end of the world, you have full control of Lightning and it is your mission to save as many souls as possible. Along the journey, you will encounter familiar faces and engage new foes in all new lands. Now that you’re caught up, you’re ready to watch the Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII trailer — right here!

A couple things to note: First is the return of Snow Villiers, with a completely new look. He’s got new hair, and equal if not more abundant amounts of swagger. Why are Snow and Lightning at odds now? What has transpired over the time between these two former allies? Sorry, but you’ll just have to wait a bit to find out these secrets.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on PS3Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on PS3

If that wasn’t the first thing you noticed, then it’s probably the area that looks nothing like from either Final Fantasy XIII or Final Fantasy XIII-2. This is Yusnaan, one of the four vast lands that compose Nova Chrysalia. Yusnaan is a bustling land bathed in pure entertainment, bright lights, and non-stop awesomeness.

In typical Final Fantasy fashion, Lightning Returns features insane monsters, abilities, and spells. We’ll be revealing much more in the coming months, so stay tuned!

We’re also unveiling our final box art for North America!

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on PS3

Lastly, the biggest question we’ve received everywhere we go is “When is it coming out?” Finally, we’re confirming that Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII will hit PlayStation 3 in North America on February 11th, 2014!

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on PS3

For more information, stay up to date at our official website. Have questions? If so, ask below and we’ll answer whatever the Goddess Etro will allows us to.

PAGE 1 2

+ iriihutoR84 on June 6th, 2013 at 4:05 am said:

Looks great but what happened to Type-0? Haven’t heard about it in a long time and I was really looking forward to it. :’(

+ Sonicfan11589 on June 6th, 2013 at 4:07 am said:

I’ll admit i have not been paying that much attention to this game, still have to beat FFXIII-2 as well as the story DLC for it.

+ Elvick_ on June 6th, 2013 at 4:12 am said:

Lawd, 2014? Oh well, too much to buy this year anyway.

Please bring Deus Ex: The Fall to PS Vita. Also, Type-0, localize it… port it to PS Vita and localize it. Thanks.

+ Hestar69 on June 6th, 2013 at 4:13 am said:

2014…SOBBB that can only mean FFXHD this holiday season and not sooner :(

+ PikkonX on June 6th, 2013 at 4:18 am said:

Would much rather see Type-0 localized/ported to the Vita than this game…

+ Gamerzlimited on June 6th, 2013 at 4:18 am said:

@1 What about Final Fantasy Versus XIII? Don’t forget about that too. I haven’t heard news about that either.

+ FUS-RO-DAAH on June 6th, 2013 at 4:22 am said:

I’m guessing early 2015 for Final Fantasy Versus XIII. On the PS4 of course.

It must be their biggest project yet, seeing how they skipped an entire console generation for it lol.

+ Boyanime010 on June 6th, 2013 at 4:22 am said:

Dear Square Enix, please Give us Final Fantasy Versus XIII

+ Boyanime010 on June 6th, 2013 at 4:23 am said:

Dear Square Enix please give us Kingdom Hearts 3

+ Boyanime010 on June 6th, 2013 at 4:25 am said:

Give us Kingdom Hearts 3, I mean let’s be real here, it’s been way too long since a KH game came to home consoles. Like seriously KH2 released in like 2005 it’s time for another one. The wait is getting kind of ridiculous, especially with the forecoming end of the year next gen consoles. I think it’s time to get back on track and stop doing spin offs. If it doesn’t release in at least mid 2014 it’ll probably be irrelevant by the time they do release it.

+ rafael_martines on June 6th, 2013 at 4:25 am said:

How I hate that damn login at yahoo to see Hi-Re images :(

+ PikkonX on June 6th, 2013 at 4:27 am said:

Nomura said they already have the date set for when they’re going to show Versus XIII again and at that time, will also let us know why it was delayed for so long. I’m guessing the rumors are true and it was changed to FFXV and development shifted to the PS4. Sounds good to me and hopefully it will appear on Monday.

+ tdlypsdoff on June 6th, 2013 at 4:27 am said:

This is good. They are announcing this before E3 so it can stay out of the way of their big announcement. And we better see a release date for FFXHD at E3(hoping sooner rather then later).

+ neuropunk on June 6th, 2013 at 4:29 am said:

Go away Lightning. Nobody wants to play your crappy NON-Final Fantasy game.

This “game” needs to be returned to GameSlop and into the trash bargain bin.

I will never get over this crappy XIII series ruining my favorite series of all time. I want turn based ATB back with world map and airships and all the classic Final Fantasy elements back. Also, more emphasis on substance over flash would be nice too.

These XIII games are trash.

+ PikkonX on June 6th, 2013 at 4:41 am said:

I’d like to believe that somewhere, there are some Sony/S-E folks reading these comments with a smirk on their faces knowing all of our aforementioned requests are already being worked on. Then again, there’s always the possibility that some guy is at work slaving over an FFXIII-4 game that no one asked for lol.

+ zingakun on June 6th, 2013 at 4:42 am said:

Dark Souls II and now Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Looks like I’ll have a hell of a start in 2014 :D

+ Christian399 on June 6th, 2013 at 5:14 am said:

Dear Square,

How to cultivate the fanbase your terrible buisiness decisions have eroded.

1.) Type-0 Vita, Lord of Apocalypse and port Chaos Rings 1/2/O to the Vita.

2.) FF VS (or renamed to XIV) PS exclusive and out NEXT YEAR AT THE LATEST.

3.) Stop making crappy iPhone games. Your attempts at new IPs in that space have all been failures (Chaos Rings aside), and people only seem to buy nostalgia, which is a well that once tapped, runs out.

4.) XIII was barely good, and two more iterations of the same crap is certainly a bad idea.

5.) Bring the new Nier west.

6.) Make smaller budget, tighter teamed console and portable RPGs.

If you accomplish even three of the things listed above, you might have a profitable 2014.

P.S. Not trolling, but LR will bomb. Do prepare your stockholders for that.

+ Mies2000 on June 6th, 2013 at 5:30 am said:

This looks great.

+ IzoGray on June 6th, 2013 at 5:33 am said:

You guys don’t deserve any of my money until you put

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Final Fantasy Crisis Core

up on PSN. No one understands why you don’t. You’re losing money. As a company, who makes these awful decisions? It must be your bosses, which is why they were pretty much fired. Is this new Square Enix smarter or still the same ignorant company?

+ Berae on June 6th, 2013 at 5:38 am said:

This serie has become so irrevelant.

+ GeoDarky on June 6th, 2013 at 5:45 am said:

FF is always is a good news

+ iREVOLTER on June 6th, 2013 at 5:49 am said:

Really , Sqaure Enix please bring FF Type-0 to the West. Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts BBS to PSVita. Stop ignoring so many requests regarding this games, ohhh and also don’t forget about Final Fantasy Versus XIII or whatever is called now and Kingdom Hearts III for the big console. Please and thank you.

+ pablofsi08 on June 6th, 2013 at 5:52 am said:

One more for the collection, but Square is too shamelessly milking money off the FF XIII universe, thought it’d be already time for FFXV.

+ Kalil86 on June 6th, 2013 at 5:53 am said:

Cool, but I’ll pass…

+ Hitokiri_03 on June 6th, 2013 at 5:55 am said:

Kill this thing with fire!

Really, how the hell SE still funding this Toriyama weird fetish with Lightning.

This is hurting the FF brand even more.

+ IrishDude2 on June 6th, 2013 at 5:58 am said:

Final Fantasy 13-2 dropped price reeeeeealllly fast!! Can get it soo cheap. Bet this one will fall in price so much faster!

+ KazeEternal on June 6th, 2013 at 5:59 am said:

Sorry square but as about as interested in getting this game as third parties in developing for the wii u. Which is next to not at all. You could cancel it tomorrow and it wouldn’t bother me. Pushing it to feb 2014 might as well have been a cancellation. I want ff versus 13, ffx hd for psv/ps3, ff type 0, crisis core on vita, and of course an ff7 and ff6 remake. Most importantly I want to see new smaller rpgs on vita and on the ps3/4store to help launch new ip and id like to see a new chrono game. For some reason your company hates taking my money as it has ignore people like me for the past 7 years. No more games in the ff13 series please the characters and story are just not worth the time of day.

+ snakeeyes211 on June 6th, 2013 at 6:15 am said:

Lightning returns on my birthday :-)

+ Zionine on June 6th, 2013 at 6:17 am said:

I second the fanbase response that Kingdom Hearts BBS and Crisis Core need to come out on PSN.

That said, I’ll be purchasing this game and enjoying it, because they’re great games.. but just too different from its predecessors. Advice: Make a game, not a movie, and it’ll be wonderful.

+ Zionine on June 6th, 2013 at 6:18 am said:

What about FFXII on the Vita eventually…? Most people never got to play that because it was late in the PS2′s lifetime… an HD version on the Vita would be amazing! :) I’d play the heck out of it.

+ MakoSOLIDER on June 6th, 2013 at 6:18 am said:

Ha my prediction was right! New it would be delayed?

Can we please get Versus at the launch of the PS4 in its place?

+ DuoMaxwell007 on June 6th, 2013 at 6:30 am said:

this still doesnt look like an action game/action RPG to me.. from teh way lightning moves during the battle sin teh ingame fight scene sit still looks like menu driven combat instead of mash X to constantly swing weapon then use the left analog stick to manually sidestep/evade from attacks and A o TO ROLL AWAY FROM ENEMIES STYLE ACTION BATTLE SYSTEMS.

So to me it still looks like it plays like a ATB game with just a single party member lol

+ Lezarth87 on June 6th, 2013 at 6:31 am said:

Booooriiiing! FFXIII saga is The worst i ever played and i still own my NES, SNES, PS ONE etc and all final fantasy games…mi glad they are doing FFX Remake.

+ IzoGray on June 6th, 2013 at 6:32 am said:

We want a rep for Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.

Let them use Cloud Strife or Lightning, although Cloud would be the more appreciated option.

+ rafael_martines on June 6th, 2013 at 6:34 am said:

Square Enix what about a HD Port of Final Fatnasy Tactics to PSVita/PS3 with Online Multiplayer AND Trophies?

+ Mando44646 on June 6th, 2013 at 6:40 am said:

13 and 13-2 were very meh. I’ll probably pick this up when it drops in price after release. You guys should have worked on Kingdom Hearts 3 instead of 13-3…

+ GameQuirks on June 6th, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

Day 1 buy for me for sure. Would probably repeat FFXII and FF XIII-2 this year.

+ Zanir9x on June 6th, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

Totally agree with – 27 – @ KazeEternal

I can say the same thing, how is possible they don’t want our money, i’m sure we want to buy these games on the PSN, we’re not asking for free.

Coying the same but WE WANT FF VERSUS 13, ffx hd for psv/ps3, ff type 0, crisis core on vita, birth by sleep on vita, and of course an ff7 and ff6 remake (This last one is very important). Like to see a new CHRONO game. For some reason your company hates taking our money as it has ignore people like me for the past 7 years.

Easily you can get our money uploading ALL your PS1 and PS2 as classic games to the PS Store, really a lot of people want it on digital. (FF4 classic, Valkyrie Profile, Chocobo Racing, Final Fantasy 12, etc).

PD to All: Kingdom Hearts 3 already was said it can’t came out until FFvs13 is finished, because is the same team that worked on KH1-2, so until FFvs13 comes out, they will start working on KH3

+ TheBratPrince79 on June 6th, 2013 at 6:48 am said:

Sweet can’t wait, Any special edition? I love the Soundtracks

+ jose213jose on June 6th, 2013 at 6:49 am said:

Will Goddess Etro allow you to answer these’s question then? There are easy to answer and fair questions.

Here are the Following 7 Questions?
1. Will “Lighting Return Final Fantasy 13″ be on the PS4. Yes or No
If not then Why?
2. When will Final Fantasy Versus 13 be at this E3 this time around or what? The game has been in the dark for too much long now. When will it hit the Light?
3. Will Kingdom Hearts 3 go into development right after FF Versus 13 then? Plus will this game fine itself on PS3 and/or PS4?
4. Will you release Final Fantasy Type 0 here finally to the USA for PSP and/or PS Vita?
5. You plan on making new series of games onto the PS Vita and help support it with awesome games?
6. Will Valkyrie Profile series get new game that will force on the 3rd sister or Lenneth again? If not then why?
7. Will new Star Ocean game come out and if not then why?

(: Why did I put 7 questions for? For new FF7 game to come maybe on what happen with Genesis who return. :)

+ Elvick_ on June 6th, 2013 at 6:58 am said:

@17: Lawd if Media.Vision and SE ported Chaos Rings to PS Vita I’d die of happiness.

+ Elvick_ on June 6th, 2013 at 7:00 am said:

19: Licensing. Look it up.

Same reason we won’t have every classic game on digital services, and the same reason we won’t even have every movie/tv show released digitally or on DVD/Bluray or on Netflix.

It’s a bish, but you deal.

+ ASadSadPanda on June 6th, 2013 at 7:07 am said:

I can’t wait to get my hands on this. I’m excited what else you guys have to show us at E3

Amritz Lay's Avatar

+ Amritz Lay on June 6th, 2013 at 2:46 pm said:

Glad to hear you’re excited! If you are able to attend E3, swing by the booth for a chance to get hands on!

+ GaMeR_bOi_83 on June 6th, 2013 at 7:08 am said:

Dear Squaer Enix, this game is trash. A big ol pile of ten ear old trash. I don’t know why you keep making trash games. I have not bought a FF game in years because after FF12 you guys started to make crappy trash games. Once you start to make rpg’s with a badass story line, go back to ATB battle system, give us characters that we actually find interest in and stop make crappy spin offs of this wanna be Final Fantasy game(does not ome close to a true jrpg) then I will buy a FF game again. I will not buy this crap ever, not even used. I can get this game as gift and I will trade it in within the same hour. Square drop Enix and go back to the mighty Squaer Enix. And give us FF type O and FF 1-9 HD remakes. You guys want to make money or die has game company. Your games are as boring as C.O.D.

+ pOcHo_OX on June 6th, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

THANKS!! awesome news Day 1 buy for me!, I cant wait to get my hands on this… only 8 months… May I ask, It will be a special edition of this game???

Amritz Lay's Avatar

+ Amritz Lay on June 6th, 2013 at 2:49 pm said:

Fantastic! It’ll definitely be worth the wait :)

Unfortunately, we don’t have any news on a special edition.

+ Reignfall21 on June 6th, 2013 at 7:40 am said:

Square Enix seems to not have heard that ps4 is out this holiday season. If they were late to the party but became the life of it I wouldn’t complain, but lately they’ve proven to be lacking in the quality category.

+ TuttiCicero on June 6th, 2013 at 7:50 am said:

The FFXIII series is very boring and you then take 4 months AFTER the Ps4 releases to have it finished?

This game will plummet in price just like FFXIII-2, I might grab it then though… “might”.

+ Djr_24 on June 6th, 2013 at 8:03 am said:

Let’s manifest Vita! Vita ! Vita! they always seem to forget about our sweet and awesome handheld. Always those 7-years-old looking games. they are cool but too much of them. Time to have FF, Devil may cry…or that incredible new Tomb raider or Batman version for Vita.

+ U-E-N-D-I-L on June 6th, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

I stopped asking SE for specific games when they never continued with my favorite game series of all time. CHRONO TRIGGER!!!

+ Toplinkar on June 6th, 2013 at 8:15 am said:

Finally some closure to the FFXIII saga. After all that crazy stuff at FFXIII-2′s ending I was quite curious as to what could possibly follow.

The new gameplay mechanichs semmsa bit Kingdon Heart-ish, not that it is a bad thing, I just wonder how can the paradigms work this way.

PAGE 1 2