PS4 - Transistor

Tekken Revolution is Free-to-Play Starting Today on PSN

Nick O'Leary's Avatar + Posted by Nick O'Leary on Jun 11, 2013 // Public Relations Specialist, Namco Bandai Games

Everyone here on the Tekken team is very excited to finally pull the curtain off of Tekken Revolution, Namco Bandai Games’ brand new free-to-play game that is launching today on the PlayStation Network exclusively for the PlayStation 3 system. The team has been hard at work making sure that every essential aspect that has made Tekken one of the best fighting games on the market for the past 19 years is present in Tekken Revolution. From the iconic cast of characters, critically acclaimed fighting engine, and gorgeous visuals, this is the Tekken experience fans know and love. However, since Tekken Revolution is a free-to-play title, some exciting new additions to the classic Tekken gameplay were implemented to take into account not only our hardcore fans, but also the PlayStation 3 owners who may have never played Tekken or a fighting game before. Here is a quick rundown of some of the new features in Tekken Revolution to get everyone up to speed with the new game!

Tekken Revolution

Character Roster

Tekken Revolution features eight iconic characters to choose from at launch. The decreased roster size makes matches more strategic, since it’s easier for players to remember strengths and weaknesses as well as matchups between characters. Each of the eight characters were chosen based on their unique play style and move set. Players will be able to purchase additional characters with in-game gift points, and characters will be added in future updates!

Tekken Revolution

Character Progression System

Brand new for the Tekken series, players will be able to upgrade their favorite characters with XP earned by playing matches. Tekken Revolution features three attributes to increase; Strength, which increases your overall attack damage, Endurance, which increases character health, and Vigor, which increases the chance to land critical hits. This progression system allows for fans to tune characters to their preferred style of play. Do you want to set up Critical Arts combinations and cause additional damage by increasing Vigor, or simply increase Endurance and be able to withstand more attacks? The choice is up to you.

Tekken Revolution

Refined and Streamlined Moves

Tekken Revolution features two styles of special attacks for each character, Critical Arts and Special Arts. Each character has four Critical Arts moves, which give players a chance to deal a large amount of increased damage on critical hits. Characters also have one Special Arts move in their move set, which grants them a period of invincibility at the start of the move. These Arts moves will be the backbone of your move set and will instantly be recognizable by the motion blur and particle effects during the attack.

And that’s just a taste of the improvements we have added into Tekken Revolution to be the first and best free-to-play fighting game around. The Tekken franchise has long been the leader of the fighting genre, constantly raising the bar higher for itself and its competitors. Everyone on the Tekken team hopes you enjoy our latest push forward.

70 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ dragon_night on June 11th, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

Woah nice

+ gohan16ken on June 11th, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

When is Tekken x Street Fighter coming?

+ deviantsinn on June 11th, 2013 at 12:38 pm said:

what’s the file size ? also when will the store update???

+ Knight613 on June 11th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

So additional fighters don’t actually cost real money? Or is the in-game gift points bought with real money?

+ Mando44646 on June 11th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

free to play = no play. I’d rather buy a full, complete game. I cannot support his model of pricing

+ PainOfSarrow on June 11th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

Niceee.. dont even need PS + .. il def be downloading this, thanks.

+ detictiveconan on June 11th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

Out so soon! I’m looking forward to trying out this.

+ DeafJerzy201 on June 11th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

LOVE YA SONY, I PROMISE I WOULD BUY YOUR NEW PS4!

+ Xnightwish on June 11th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

How many characters are unlocked with the f2p version?

+ ShaunTheTroll on June 11th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

Does this have trophies?

+ gus_xl on June 11th, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

I actually kind of like the free to play, and then just buying what characters you want..

But upgrading your characters? Seems like it might be hard for a new guy to fight against someone that’s been grinding his character.

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on June 11th, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

Didn’t know it would be available in the US too. The roster size you guys offer with your fighters had always made it hard for me to really learn the game, & now its being reduced a bit, so thank you.

If Jin is one of the 8 playable characters, then i am set. Though i love how you guys are giving more characters as optional DLC purchases like Tecmo will be doing.

+ Solid_Figur3 on June 11th, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

Okay, now that the fine folks at Namco Bandai finally released F2P Tekken, it’s time to start work on Tekken x SF for next-gen consoles and maybe PC. Do it.

+ midelioss on June 11th, 2013 at 12:51 pm said:

It’s almost like this is a toned-down version of Tekken, specifically fitted in order to be able to bring over Street Fighter characters and compromising with their limited move list by concentrating Tekken’s own movelist.

So based on this, I’m presuming that TxSF will be a kind of pseudo 3D-2.5D fighter? Something with 2D controls on a 3D navigating environment?

+ Mister-Nep on June 11th, 2013 at 12:51 pm said:

FYI, this is out right now on PSN. It’s 1.9GB

+ Welmosca on June 11th, 2013 at 1:00 pm said:

OMG already?….thought it would take longer to release…thank you namco I was so happy to see this coming and even more when I saw it would be exclusively to PS3…you guys should know your fan base is on PS….its been 14 years that I’m Tekken playa …I’m very excited.Thank you.

+ ArchAngelMai on June 11th, 2013 at 1:04 pm said:

Stores up in the US everyone!

+ DarqueDragon on June 11th, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

@10
No trophies, I believe, since I can’t find a trophy list at any of the usual places. The trophy forum I go to usually has trophy lists up at least a day before the game comes out, but this has nothing,

+ GAMINGSMYLIFE on June 11th, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

I will be downloading this so fast. Been waiting to try the new Tekken Tag 2. This just sounds amazing. In game money buys more characters and future updates give you more? If this isn’t just a ploy, it’s heaven for fighter fans,a and a F2P win.

+ Supah_kydd on June 11th, 2013 at 1:15 pm said:

I’m going to get this soon

+ Ryumoau on June 11th, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

meh…not very interested in fighting games. I’m curious when Namco will team with Koei again for DW Gundam 4 though.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on June 11th, 2013 at 1:23 pm said:

if this game had CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION..i would be ALL OVER THIS..but being that its FREE ..im pretty sure there is a CATCH..although i dont mind support this game i would like it if they at least gave us a glimpse of Street Fighter vs Tekken!!! i cant wait for that game to be release..or even a trailer to be release AT LEAST! lol

+ punkmusic2009 on June 11th, 2013 at 1:55 pm said:

ive completed the e3 event but my codes don’t work

+ xX-ASHER-Xx_ on June 11th, 2013 at 2:28 pm said:

I can’t find the game in the store. Where can I find the game.
I live in Norway.

+ JMBlakk on June 11th, 2013 at 2:34 pm said:

my only complaint is that i wish it had cross play but good work on a f2p fighter

+ XtemmA2 on June 11th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

@5 Free to play means more opponent to play with.
You can pay micro transactions if you enjoy it, but what is the point of purchasing when you can only play it against ai only?
This problem caught Starcraft 2 as the number of concurrent players were down significantly, it took 15 minutes just to find an oponent to play for 5-20 minutes.

+ Guimace on June 11th, 2013 at 4:03 pm said:

@10 yes it has trophies but not a Platinum.

+ pablofsi08 on June 11th, 2013 at 4:07 pm said:

PS4 still has time to implement retrocompatibility with PS3 games, PS2 games and PSX digital games and decline Plus being mandatory to play online maintaining online playing free for everyone. If they don’t, I will give the thumbs down to PS4, use my PS Plus account to “buy” free PS4 games and only buy it after it has dropped it’s price dramatically or they add compatibility with PS3 in any way they want to. I encourage everyone that bought over 190 digital PS3 games supporting this company to do the same. RESPECT TO MY PS3 GAMES COLLECTION!

+ Guimace on June 11th, 2013 at 4:14 pm said:

Asuka is there! I’m happy.

+ supvic on June 11th, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

F2P is a good way to get people like me interested in giving it a try, otherwise I would never have bothered, and who knows, I might actually like it, plus it means potentially more online players.

Dust514 however, you’d have to pay me to make me play that again.

+ tharugbykid on June 11th, 2013 at 5:00 pm said:

Is it available in the UK?

+ Bloodios on June 11th, 2013 at 5:06 pm said:

Off topic, but when is Ridge Racer Driftopia going to be released?

+ OneMoreVillain on June 11th, 2013 at 5:06 pm said:

Always down for another game to try, might even get some people who don’t play Tekken into it.

@30. That is funny, Dust 514 is one of the only F2P with micro transactions I will play.

+ ItaChu on June 11th, 2013 at 5:10 pm said:

thank you for such a nice game :) and with trophies omg and you can unlock the other characters with in game money thats awesome! :) just like old times

+ SPOOKULA209 on June 11th, 2013 at 5:37 pm said:

my kids will play it

+ subsamuel01 on June 11th, 2013 at 5:46 pm said:

Doesn’t hurt to play a free game. Not much of a tekken fan but ill give this a go.

+ Isidrera on June 11th, 2013 at 5:47 pm said:

Any news on spartacus legends?

+ Knife-8 on June 11th, 2013 at 5:49 pm said:

Seeing that EA has eliminated their ps3 online passes and that there are not going to be online passes for Sony games for the ps4, since you have to have ps+ to play online, does anyobody know if Sony plans on removing online passes for existing / future ps3 and vita games for ps+ users? Thanks.

+ MickeyWard09 on June 11th, 2013 at 7:08 pm said:

Thanks Namco!

+ BigDerbo on June 11th, 2013 at 7:30 pm said:

Ya it’s ok but not half as cool as the FREE TO PLAY KILLER INSTINCT on the XBOX ONE baby!

+ Zin-Key-Chi on June 11th, 2013 at 7:46 pm said:

Way to go Sony and bandai all hail the richest deepest fullest fighting game of all time kudos

+ gokugt25 on June 11th, 2013 at 8:40 pm said:

” Players will be able to purchase additional characters with in-game gift points ”

i’ve been playing for a while and i earned some gift points how do i use them to unlock characters?

+ gokugt25 on June 11th, 2013 at 8:41 pm said:

@40 You do realize that game has only 1 free to play character and the rest are paid DLC?

+ FeddeCampo on June 11th, 2013 at 8:41 pm said:

Incredible new game and most importantly fun instead of free.
It’s the best thing that can happen to a player.
That’s why I love Plus, as a member who owns free games every week.
And this as a plus, is something that Imakes me very happy and likely to try it out for sure :)
Thank you guys! Awesome E3!Awesome week!

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on June 11th, 2013 at 9:04 pm said:

@gokugt25: I think that once you reach a certain amount of GP they’ll automatically unlock.

+ Doc_Tury on June 11th, 2013 at 9:08 pm said:

Already playing it! It’s addictive!

+ RulitoCR on June 11th, 2013 at 9:12 pm said:

Great!! Thanks Namco!! A free awesome Tekken!!

+ JMBlakk on June 11th, 2013 at 9:19 pm said:

This game has TROPHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus I feel @30 Dust 514 is not the best game F2P game on the console right now. I can’t play that game it just doesn’t feel right and I’ve been hoping it would be good and it was just a let down so off to PS2onPS4

+ JMBlakk on June 11th, 2013 at 9:25 pm said:

FYI you cant play this game offline, Playstation network sign-in required. But still a good game hope to see Lei soon!!!

+ Elvick_ on June 11th, 2013 at 9:59 pm said:

@5: Oh no, you not buying their free game is going to ruin their entire business!!!

Did you even think before you made that comment?

PAGE 1 2