Uncharted 4

Killzone Mercenary: New Single-Player & Multiplayer Details

Gareth Hughes's Avatar + Posted by Gareth Hughes on Jun 12, 2013 // Lead Designer, Guerrilla Cambridge

Single Player: Lightning Strike

Two years after the Helghast attack on Vekta, the ISA are taking the battle to Helghan, their fleet gathering above the capital Pyrrhus.

You are Arran Danner, a mercenary currently under contract to the ISA. Your mission is to infiltrate a battery of Arc cannons and direct their fire away from the ISA fleet, instead targeting the Helghast cruisers overhead and opening a way into the city. This is critical to enabling the invasion of Pyrrhus to begin in earnest.

Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita

The covert nature of your mission commences with a wing suit drop into the facility; the only way to avoid detection by Helghast surveillance. Once inside your objective is to locate and hack the systems controlling the Arc cannon battery and unleash its devastating power on the unsuspecting Helghast cruisers above.

This won’t be an easy ride, the battery is heavily guarded and the security protocols protecting the control systems will require you to interface directly with them using your VAN-Guard, right under the nose of the garrisoned troops.

Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita

How you approach this task is up to you; will you maintain your covert approach, avoiding direct encounters and choose instead to pick off patrols with silenced weapons and stealth melee attacks or go for a full frontal assault loading out with heavy weapons and explosives.

Whichever strategy you choose to employ, one thing is certain, this mission is going to be a good earner, the more of the Helghast and their equipment you destroy, the better the paycheck!

Multiplayer: Inlet

Corinth River; the bloody focus of the ISA invasion of Helghan. The beach around the jetties and sluice gates provides the backdrop to this epic encounter between the ISA and Helghast forces.

The terrain is pockmarked with craters, trenches and discarded cargo containers. This dangerous “no-man’s land” offers both cover and the fear of ambush in equal measure.

Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita

A huge bridge spans the river and beach provides a ferociously contested vantage point, control of this area giving a significant tactical advantage to whoever holds it.

Whether you decide to fight them on the beaches or rain down death from above, one thing is certain; both sides will fight to the last!

Key Features

• An open and free form area, there are very few defined routes; considered, tactical movement is required to stay alive.
  • Extreme lines of sight open opportunities for snipers and other long range weapons to be highly effective.
  • The wide open terrain offers little in the way of cover from aerial VAN-Guard attacks, but a broad selection of hard cover points for on-foot engagements.
  • This war-torn landscape is perfect for setting traps, ambushes and flanking maneuvers.

65 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ FeddeCampo on June 12th, 2013 at 11:05 am said:

It’s incredible the power that Vita is having in both generations, THATS a powerful device :) congratz and thank youfor making such great stuiff Gareth!

+ Ryumoau on June 12th, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

was never a big Killzone fan but this looks interesting.

+ KidCommando on June 12th, 2013 at 11:07 am said:

Love my Vita and looking forward to Mercenary!

+ qjc18 on June 12th, 2013 at 11:10 am said:

Only game that’s got me exited for my vita

+ dusek on June 12th, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

Will there be any connectivity with Killzone: Shadow Fall on PS4?

+ bldudas on June 12th, 2013 at 11:13 am said:

This game looks great!
Does it take place before Killzone 2?

+ soundandvision77 on June 12th, 2013 at 11:21 am said:

Just wondering, is the bridge you mentioned on the Inlet map at the Corinth River, the same location as the Corinth Highway map in Killzone 3? If it’s an earlier version of that area, but pre-destroyed, that’s pretty cool. It will be interesting to see what locations in Mercenary are seen from different points of view in the other games.

Can’t wait for this game!

+ Spine999 on June 12th, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

I really want KZ PSV bundle !!!

+ Tyger0 on June 12th, 2013 at 11:30 am said:

@dusek no they mentioned in an interview on ign that the stories and games are separated by 30years. Maybe down the line they would allow one game to unlock skins or something in the other but these are two very different games overall.

+ M-Easy on June 12th, 2013 at 11:40 am said:

Cannot wait for this game.

+ peruhandcrafts on June 12th, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

Can’t wait!

+ Enforcer_X on June 12th, 2013 at 11:42 am said:

Can’t wait! This is why I bought the Vita!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on June 12th, 2013 at 11:42 am said:

THIS GAME LOOKS AMAZING..NOW ALL THATS MISSING IS a AAA GAMES LIKE GOD OF WAR, GTA, SAINTS ROW, SMACK DOWN, Grand Turismo and a REAL MOTORSTORM!!! a nice NEW METAL GEAR SOLID or INFAMOUS game would BLOW PS VITA SALES OUT OF THE WATER!! and by WATER I MEAN GAME STORE SHELVES!! PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN..US VITA OWNERS DESERVE THIS!!! I RELALY WANT A SAINTS ROW FOR THE VITA!! I KNOW ITS POSSIBLE!!

+ CatatonicAlex on June 12th, 2013 at 11:47 am said:

Nice to see that the Vita is finally getting a real quality FPS

+ Fardeenah on June 12th, 2013 at 11:51 am said:

give ps plus subscribers a beta early access please and release a demo for the game

+ xClayMeow on June 12th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

Will there be a demo?

Not a fan of console shooters (analog sticks suck compared to KB&M), but I feel this is the premier Vita title, so I’m really tempted.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on June 12th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

OK just release it already, or at least a demo

+ JQM78 on June 12th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

Does anyone know how to take the quiz to get the kz mercenary beta in ps home?

I keep getting told to go to the “marker” and take the quiz, but I can’t find it!!

+ Ryosukekun on June 12th, 2013 at 12:00 pm said:

I hope the Multiplayer component supports more than 8 players because I feel 4 v 4 it feels slightly empty in some game types but not all. I think the vita is more than capable of supporting 16 players.

+ doctorSTRANG on June 12th, 2013 at 12:03 pm said:

I just hope we can fight for the Hellgans. And for a mission were you can kill Rico.

+ Welmosca on June 12th, 2013 at 12:05 pm said:

Great news….cant wait….KZ is the best FPS series ever created and KZ3 is the best FPS game….and having one of the only MPs worth to get addicted with…Mercenary is one of the few games I’m interested in the MP.You guys have ma money day1.”Get Rich or Die Trying”…ha quoting 50 Cent?…that was great.

+ Makuta1213 on June 12th, 2013 at 12:30 pm said:

Looks great!!! Can’t wait for this too come out! I am heavily thinking of pre-ordering this. Looks too be the best shooter on the Vita!

+ ArthNeji on June 12th, 2013 at 12:33 pm said:

can we use the music app and play killzone merc at the same time?

+ SinfulWarrior on June 12th, 2013 at 12:40 pm said:

they had me at “War is our business” with slogans like that there needs to be more games where I can be a mercenary!

+ shb23 on June 12th, 2013 at 12:50 pm said:

Will get this and Shadowfall on day one, thanks, looks great.
I’m sure you guys thought of this, look at Assassin’s Creed 3 & Liberation, having both opened up some small nods to each other, it would be pretty cool if you guys did that too.

+ Yuranium on June 12th, 2013 at 12:50 pm said:

Never a Killzone fan nor a FPS fan. Somehow Killzone Mercenary and Shadowfall Makes me want to play FPS.

+ AiKaoriHime on June 12th, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

I wish the character we play was still Tomas Sevchenko. He was a really cool character.

+ Niko_of_Death on June 12th, 2013 at 1:36 pm said:

I’m so pumped! Can’t wait for beta!

+ Goldanas on June 12th, 2013 at 1:51 pm said:

I want to thank you guys for taking the time to make this into a good game. My biggest worry was that this title was going to be rushed out the gate, like Call of Duty and Resistance, but I’m happy to see that you’ve taken the time to put all the care and love into this game that it needed to be excellent.

The one thing that has been detrimental to the Vita isn’t a lack of games. It has plenty. No, the problem is that many of those games were rushed in a frantic scramble in order to get content out the door and left unfinished.

I can’t wait for this and Tearaway, and I hope more games in the future are given the time and care to become the excellent Vita games they should be.

+ Lower7896 on June 12th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

I’m pumped for this. Show them how it’s done Guerilla!

+ tusunami on June 12th, 2013 at 3:06 pm said:

Time to demolish some helghast, I’m sure this will be better than that horrific Cod game that came out for the PS Vita.

+ yodabubba on June 12th, 2013 at 3:14 pm said:

Soooooo, in all the videos I have seen I have not seen any where they are looking down the sights. Everything looks like they are hip firing, with the exception of the sniper rifle. I wonder if they took that away since they have less buttons than ps4. Does anyone know?

+ Ter-M1nat0r on June 12th, 2013 at 4:05 pm said:

This game better be good than Resistance and COD that is in Vita, or else it’s may be the last FPS games I will buy.

+ MUSTARD_STINKS on June 12th, 2013 at 4:32 pm said:

Hope Sony announces a price cut on PS Vita memory cards before E3 is over

+ KRONOS– on June 12th, 2013 at 4:53 pm said:

My most anticipated Vita title this year. Love everything you guys shown so far!

+ LayonD_BR on June 12th, 2013 at 5:10 pm said:

I’m so excited about this game!! It will CRUSH Call of duty so strong, it won’t even see where it came.

+ Busca-Cabezas on June 12th, 2013 at 6:12 pm said:

E3 has proven worthy of so much awesomeness for everything SONY. I feel like the PSVita will get its fare share of its most deserving attributes. I will Never Stop Playing! Thk u so much SONY. I’m MOVED!

+ DZORMAGEN on June 12th, 2013 at 7:23 pm said:

Play this at E3 and people are going to be in for a treat. The graphics on this are amazing. Can’t wait for this game, and it’s one Killzone game I am really exited for.

+ CONTOM-X on June 12th, 2013 at 7:30 pm said:

I wish that they would have made multiplayer 6 v 6… because 4 v 4 matches just seem so lacking. I mean, a full year after Resistance: Burning Skies and they still can’t up the amount of players in online matches? This seems very disappointing.

+ CommandingTiger on June 12th, 2013 at 7:45 pm said:

Looking Amazing Guys.

Question, You play the game as a Mercenary, there’s 9 missions.
If you play entirely with ISA, then decide to replay for Helghast, does that mean the mission is different?
Or Is it pre-determined before it starts?

+ Makuta1213 on June 12th, 2013 at 10:04 pm said:

I must say, after seeing the game at E3. I can honestly say you have secured another purchase, it looked amazing!

Great Job guys!

+ Welmosca on June 12th, 2013 at 10:15 pm said:

@ 26 Yuranium – Thats because KZ is a well made FPS instead of the typical copy and paste FPSs that we have in the market.

+ mricantloose1 on June 12th, 2013 at 10:24 pm said:

I can’t wait I hope the trophies are good to

+ HanGlacy on June 12th, 2013 at 11:45 pm said:

Any skirmish mode offline? Like ps3 killzone have? Or new features survival? Please put some features like that like cod declasified… Cant online everytime for multiplayer

+ Elvick_ on June 13th, 2013 at 12:26 am said:

I seriously can’t wait to get my hands on this game. I wish it were coming sooner. ;_;

Sony, please advertise this game. And focus on the game in the ad too, not some guy in a costume on a bus then two seconds of gameplay. Let the game speak for itself. Because it screams “amazing”.

+ GoToSea2 on June 13th, 2013 at 12:53 am said:

hopefully the frame rate is doing well

+ Crazy-Maisy on June 13th, 2013 at 3:42 am said:

I am not an FPS person. I love 3rd-person shooters or action/adventure … but … I’m really looking forward to this game on my PS Vita! I’m also thinking of diving into the Killzone Collection this summer. i’d neglected it all along and the entire series looks better than I realized. :)

+ A2667790 on June 13th, 2013 at 4:39 am said:

I hope sony developers read my comment ..why they don’t release ps3 version for this killzone?
like they did with god of war origins HD?
it’s nice to play them 720p on LCD screen than small one..
come on.. these great games should be available for ps3 users
ps3 users are hundred millions around the world while psp vita is lower than this number

+ IIL0YDII on June 13th, 2013 at 4:46 am said:

Those touch melee’s are horrible dont force us to use touchpad

+ pablofsi08 on June 13th, 2013 at 6:50 am said:

PS4 still has time to implement retrocompatibility with PS3 games, PS2 games and PSX digital games and decline Plus being mandatory to play online maintaining online playing free for everyone. If they don’t, I will give the thumbs down to PS4, use my PS Plus account to “buy” free PS4 games and only buy it after it has dropped it’s price dramatically or they add compatibility with PS3 in any way they want to. I encourage everyone that bought over 190 digital PS3 games supporting this company to do the same. RESPECT TO MY PS3 GAMES COLLECTION!

PAGE 1 2