The Last Guardian

Jun 25

PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD Coming to PS Vita

Mark South's Avatar Posted by Mark South on Jun 25, 2013 // Double Eleven

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD on PS Vita

Double Eleven, Ltd been entrusted with the keys to the kingdom for classic series such as LittleBigPlanet and Limbo. For us, PixelJunk Monsters sits alongside those hallowed classics. In designing PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD for PS Vita, we wanted to take the fabulous PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe and make it an even better experience. We worked closely with Q-Games to get it right, and then chose the name “Ultimate HD” at the end of development. We hope that’s what we have created!

We’ve been big fans of Monsters and the other PixelJunk games for some time; the sharp, colorful graphics and addictive gameplay had us hooked. Monsters is one of those games that is super casual, but incredibly difficult at the same time: a quality which made us – and many others – keep coming back for more. The tower defense premise is very familiar, but Monsters’ effortless execution sets it apart from other games in the genre. We realized that if Monsters were remade today, it would still stand out amongst other games in the genre.

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD on PS Vita

So we set out to make the definitive version of PixelJunk Monsters for PS Vita owners. Monsters Ultimate HD has more than 30 hours of gameplay set across story and challenge levels. All of the graphics have been remastered for the PS Vita’s high-resolution screen, and we added touchscreen input to provide more control of Tikiman. Ultimate HD includes the Encore expansion, as well as all the extra towers, enemies, and levels from the Deluxe edition last seen on PSP.

If you’ve never played PixelJunk Monsters, here’s a quick primer. As Tikiman, you must protect your helpless babies from waves of incoming monsters. You’ll build weapon towers in the right places and at the right times in order to kill enemy monsters. You can grab coins and gems from fallen monsters to spend on building more towers, upgrading existing towers, or research towards powerful new towers. Monsters come thicker and faster as the waves advance, keeping the challenge consistent throughout.

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD on PS Vita

When we first began planning Ultimate HD with the guys at Q-Games, our ideas spun off in many different directions. Initially, we considered opening Pandora’s Box by tweaking the gameplay, doing things like (gasp!) introducing checkpoints in between attack waves. Why? Because we wanted to reduce the game’s legendary difficulty that, at times, made us want to rage quit by hurling our PS Vita across the development room (it’s carpeted, don’t worry).

But after we discussed our ideas with Q-Games, and tried out a few potential solutions, it became clear that the sense of pride you gained in “rainbowing” (perfectly completing) a level would become somewhat less satisfying. In Monsters, you earn your rainbows and that’s it. So we agreed that our ultimate edition would stay focused on remaking the visuals for Vita’s awesome OLED screen, introducing touchscreen controls that complimented the gameplay, and compiling everything featured in the PS3 and PSP versions. We also designed the Trophies to be an extra treat for those wanting even more challenge: Our best in-house players have taken three days solid to complete the game on the hardcore setting!

When you work with a studio like Q-Games, you don’t work with “IP” or a “brand” – you work with people that put their heart and soul into making the game. Remaking PixelJunk Monsters meant enhancing a cleverly crafted tower defense game while retaining its purity — and adding a fresh helping of Double Eleven enhancements to PS for Vita fans!

PAGE 1 2

+ dh4645 on June 25th, 2013 at 7:54 am said:

dude i love PJ Monsters! my bro-in-law & i played the crap outta that game on my ps3

Mark South's Avatar

+ Mark South on June 26th, 2013 at 2:20 am said:

We definitely share your love of PJ Monsters!! Hope you do the same with the Vita version :)

+ avdavidw on June 25th, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

It took way too long for this to happen. Really excited to see what I’m hoping is the first of many PixelJunk titles on the Vita!

+ NeoGrayFox on June 25th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

zOMG You’ve made my dreams come true. I still play Deluxe for PSP on Vita to this day. Please tell me there will be online! I’ve got a friend who was always jealous of my PS3 because of this game, and he has a Vita, so to be able to play with him would be EPIC!!

Mark South's Avatar

+ Mark South on June 26th, 2013 at 2:36 am said:

Glad to hear that we’ve made your dreams come true, that’s what we aim for! Co-op will be making a return, but with an extra feature that will be announced at a later date :)

+ CrusaderForever on June 25th, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

Cool, I love TD games! I have never played the original Monsters so this will be a great experience trying it out for the first time on my Vita. Thanks for taking the time to give Vita some love!

Has anyone tried Full Frontal Assault on the Vita? How is it?

Mark South's Avatar

+ Mark South on June 26th, 2013 at 2:42 am said:

Awesome! Well you’ve picked a good time to give it a try for the first time, we aimed to make it the definitive edition and the Vita deserved to be graced with this classic, with HD graphics to make it that bit better, we hope you enjoy it!

+ Joe-TFW on June 25th, 2013 at 8:18 am said:

I am a huge, huge fan of PJM. Have it, as well as Encore, on the PS3 and PJMD on the Vita (via the PSP release). I’ve played them both to death. If there is actual new content here, namely a new island and/or new levels, I’m in. No questions asked, day 1 purchase.

If this is just a rerelease of the previous levels with a new name then it’s a disappointment and a pass. Please don’t just make this a Vita-fied rehash of a 3 and 5 year old game.

Mark South's Avatar

+ Mark South on June 26th, 2013 at 2:26 am said:

Excellent, stay tuned for the summer release date to make sure you don’t miss that day 1 purchase! More details will be released in the coming weeks :)

+ TwinDad on June 25th, 2013 at 8:22 am said:

New levels would be a godsend.

Still PJM is fine by me.

+ YorlecmNwahs on June 25th, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

Oh hell yeah!

+ YorlecmNwahs on June 25th, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

Go to Google

Search “Let’s Get FlatOut Head On PS Vita Compatible”

Click on the first result.

Sign the petition please.

+ IzoGray on June 25th, 2013 at 8:37 am said:

Would like to see Shooter and Eden next

Mark South's Avatar

+ Mark South on June 26th, 2013 at 2:22 am said:

We would love to oblige!

+ Ryumoau on June 25th, 2013 at 8:47 am said:

I’m glad you developers seem to pride yourself in making an unnecessarly difficult game by removing modern conveniences like checkpoints or difficulty options.
But i’m not spending my hard earned dollars on games like that, especially when there are better Vita titles in the horizon that actually give their consumers options without frustrating them with poor game design choices.

+ lisatsunami on June 25th, 2013 at 8:50 am said:

Yay, more Vita games, thanks!

+ saintaqua on June 25th, 2013 at 8:55 am said:

Even though I’d never earn it, i hope there’s a platinum trophy!

Mark South's Avatar

+ Mark South on June 26th, 2013 at 2:29 am said:

No platinum trophy this time I’m afraid, that said there are lots of other challenging trophies for you to earn!

+ KentBlake on June 25th, 2013 at 9:03 am said:

I’d really like the checkpoints or, even better, an easier difficulty setting (as an option, of course). I suck at this game, and could never pass that damned bridge level on the PS3. As a result, I never played it again…and probably won’t buy the Vita version, because I’d only get frustrated again. And I love the idea of the game and its gameplay, but the difficulty is just too much for me.

+ reson8er on June 25th, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

If there is Co-Op, I will buy a Vita for my wife!

Mark South's Avatar

+ Mark South on June 26th, 2013 at 2:50 am said:

In that case, you better get shopping! You have time to wrap it up really nicely too in time for the release :)

+ FJ1100_rider on June 25th, 2013 at 9:16 am said:

I can’t believe so many are saying the ps3 and psp versions were too hard to beat , maybe I’m just better at tower defense than I thought? Compared to a really hard game like savage moon pixeljunk monsters is a kids game ( savage moon is still awesome even if it’s unbelievably difficult ) I rainbowed every level on both earlier games and got most of the ps3 trophies so I can’t wait to buy the psvita game and do it again

anything extra planned for people who have the ps3 game already? avatars ? a custom theme ? a discount? maybe a bonus exclusive tower?

+ OKRik on June 25th, 2013 at 9:20 am said:

I’ve waiting for more Monsters for a very long time. Please tell me there are new levels. I’ve adored PixelJunk Monsters since the first, but I’ve played them to death. I, like many other fans will be seriously disappointed if we can’t get at least 1 new island in the game. The game and we deserve it!

+ remanutd5 on June 25th, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

psp version supports online co op, i hope the vita does as well.

Mark South's Avatar

+ Mark South on June 26th, 2013 at 3:20 am said:

Thanks for your comment, co op is included, but finer details will be revealed nearer to release :)

+ gr1mj0w on June 25th, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

Loved this game, glad it’s getting more content and released on the Vita

+ NinjaMicWZ on June 25th, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

I love the Pixel Junk series. <3 Q Games.

Double Eleven is handling this port. They co-created Little Big Planet Vita, did the flawless Limbo port for Vita, and were also working on a really cool looking visual re-imagining of Frozen Synapse for Vita called Frozen Synapse Tactics.

This will be an excellent game. I hope it sells like crazy so we can get Pixel Junk Shooter 1 & 2 + Sidescroller too. OMG I would die if it came out as a trilogy with a physical release, on a single game card.

Mark South's Avatar

+ Mark South on June 26th, 2013 at 3:28 am said:

Wow, thank you! We are flattered by your support and glad that you’re excited for the release! We hope it sells like crazy too…that is a great idea, we would love to work on those!

+ akibake on June 25th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

I have Monsters Deluxe for PSP on my Vita, and I can say it scratches the itch, but I have wished for a high-res version and here we have it. I respect the decision to not make the game easier, however, there are parts of the island, I still have never seen after years. One thing that can help is co-op.

It’s weird that the PSP game actually allows co-op over the net, while its big brother on the PS3 does not. I never have understood why PixelJunk games are limited to couch co-op only. These days, online co-op is practically the rule, and with people of various age ranges playing games, schedules may not always permit visiting a friends house to do co-op on Monsters. Couch co-op is great to have, but online co-op lets me play with my friends scattered around the country or abroad.

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD really needs online co-op.

PAGE 1 2