PS4-Infamous

The Order: 1886: Ready At Dawn Divulges New Details

Fred Dutton's Avatar + Posted by Fred Dutton on Jun 25, 2013 // SCEE Blog Manager

The Order: 1886 on PS4

A quick list of things that invariably get my blood pumping at a PlayStation E3 press briefing: 1) Big, bold new IP reveals; 2) Hugely talented developers getting their first shot at realising an original vision; 3) Ravishingly stylish games set in my hometown of London.

Duly, the debut trailer for The Order: 1886 ticked all the boxes – yes, even the last one, making 2013 something of a banner year! But while the first showing of Ready At Dawn’s new creation was undoubtedly one of the highlights of this year’s show, it also raised a fair few questions. Sure enough, I tracked down studio co-founder Ru Weerasuriya backstage in search of answers.

We’ll be talking more about the game in the not too distant future, but in the meantime hopefully the following exchange will keep your interest piqued.

PlayStation.Blog: So, exactly what kind of game is The Order: 1886?
Ru Weerasuriya: The Order is a third person action adventure with shooting mechanics. It’s very much story-based – it’s a linear story-based game. We’re trying to tell a story. It’s what we call a filmic experience.

PSB: It was really refreshing to see London being used as the setting for a video game. Why did you pick the British capital?
RW: For me, London is one of the greatest cities in the world. There’s a real diversity there. A lot of European cities have it but specifically London, as there are moments throughout history that have played out there. It has a very interesting history, particularly at the end of the 19th century during the Industrial Revolution. Because this game is based in the real world, we wanted to feed off that and use some of the events, the people and the stuff that existed in that time to accentuate and bring our IP into a world that is believable.

PSB: Are Londoners going to recognize it as they city they live in today?
RW: Absolutely. Sure, I don’t think we’ll be able to do a 1:1 mapping of London. We tried! We started out by mapping the full city of London. But we’re going to try and stay as true as possible to it. You’ll recognize a lot of things.

There are obviously some things we’re going to put in there that don’t exist, and we’ve moved certain locations a bit, but as you can see from the trailer, when you pass in front of the Thames, Parliament is where it’s supposed to be and London Bridge is where it’s supposed to be. We don’t want people to go “Nah, this doesn’t look right”. You’ll be interacting with real people, real events and real places.

PSB: PlayStation gamers will know Ready At Dawn best from your fantastic God of War games on PSP. What are you bringing over to The Order: 1886 from your experience on that franchise?
RW: I think what we’re bringing over is everything that we’ve learned over the past 10 years. This was always the goal when we started the company. We started with the mind-set that we’re going to build our own IP, but we didn’t want to be the guys who straight out of the gate went “We’re going to do everything all at once.” So we learned little by little – building technology, building expertise, getting the right team together. It really took us a long time to find exactly what we wanted.

We’ve done well on a single platform. We’ve tried to push the boundaries of what could be done. That’s the same mentality we’re bringing to PS4. We’re working on a single platform – we want to push it, we want to get everything out of it, and hopefully that’s exactly what we’re going to do – milk it for all it’s worth.

PSB: What aspect of the game do you think will make gamers say “Woah, that’s new, I’ve never seen that before”?
RW: There are gameplay features we’ll be talking about that will be very, very cool. Right now we’re playing with things – the moment-to-moment gameplay is really not what you might expect. We didn’t want to make it single-tone, where you rely on one single thing in expense of the rest.

The overall feel – that filmic experience… the one thing we brought to this is something people are accustomed too but usually can’t tell. When you watch a movie you don’t question what lens is being used. You don’t question why there is grain on the film or why there’s a certain lighting. Those are things we’ve been accustomed to seeing for 30 years. So when it’s missing we usually go “Wait, something is wrong with this image”.

With this game we replicated a lot of physical attributes. We have true lens distortion. We built physical lenses into our engine so we could get something where people will look it and not be totally disconnected. Games have a tendency sometimes to be too clean and crisp. We thrive in the dirt. We just love the fact that it feels dirty. It’s filmed in a very realistic way.

PSB: It’s a good fit – London can be pretty filthy!
RW: That’s exactly right, and that’s why we chose it I think.

PSB: You’re working on a huge new IP on a huge new platform. How are you coping with the pressure?
RW: Yeah, it’s tough. Anybody would be lying if they said it wasn’t. It’s a lot of pressure and there are a lot of unknowns. You make a lot of bets at the beginning because you don’t know how things are going to be two years down the line. The good thing for us is that we didn’t have to bring a lot of legacy over, and because of that we’ve made a lot of bets that luckily for us turned out really well. But yes, the pressure is always on. It seems that there’s a lot of expectation now and there will be more after E3. So all we have to do now is finish it!

50 Comments

+ KidCommando on June 25th, 2013 at 7:05 am said:

Can’t wait to see some gameplay!!

+ letherclad on June 25th, 2013 at 7:10 am said:

I’m very intrigued and watching this closely, I love the setting and the alternate history feel of the trailer. I knew Ready at Dawn is capable of great things and I’m glad to see them putting everything they have into a new IP.

+ AkelisRain on June 25th, 2013 at 7:10 am said:

This is one of the games I pre-orded with the PS4. Looking forward to it, I enjoyed their renditions of GOW.

+ Jaded_Dragon on June 25th, 2013 at 7:12 am said:

With Ready at Dawn’s track record, it’s hard not to be excited for this game…
I was afraid at first that it was going to be “just another FPS in a steampunk setting”, but this sounds a lot more promising now that some more details are out.

+ paulogy on June 25th, 2013 at 7:12 am said:

Although the term “filmic” is making me a bit apprehensive, if that means the final game will be more like that teaser trailer we saw, then that’s great news

+ Elvick_ on June 25th, 2013 at 7:15 am said:

I hope you won’t only develop on PS4 in the future. I’d love to see what you guys could do with the PS Vita’s hardware at some point in time. You did wonders on PSP, and PS Vita is far better in every way.

Anyhoo, The Order is one of the most interesting PS4 titles for me. I’m looking forward to seeing more of it. Curious about gameplay and story. I’m already sold on the setting.

+ Oto57 on June 25th, 2013 at 7:18 am said:

I’m really waiting for this game! The art concept is great, something industrial revolution and steampunk :D So great! I hope there’ll be an artbook and a collector’s edition in a good price.
This, Second Son and FFXV are the reasons why i’ll buy a ps4.

+ KirAMinh on June 25th, 2013 at 7:24 am said:

Cant wait. Hopefully to hands-on this game asap.

+ helbertpina on June 25th, 2013 at 7:26 am said:

Fantastic, long live the single player experience! :D

+ LensXD on June 25th, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

Selling online pass for Resistance burning skies. Add me on psn

+ thebrokncompass on June 25th, 2013 at 7:48 am said:

I cannot wait for this game! “Cinematic”? I hope they take notes from Naughty Dog! :D

+ Gorvi on June 25th, 2013 at 7:50 am said:

I’ve loved everything that’s come out of Ready At Dawn, so I can’t wait for this.

+ JusteMilieu on June 25th, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

I’m a huge fan of open world games, but I love linear, story-based games just as much! Can’t wait to learn more!

+ Crazy-Maisy on June 25th, 2013 at 8:19 am said:

This is definitely one game on the PS4 I am very much looking forward to. Thanks for the interview! The Order: 1886 gets better and better with everything I’ve read and seen. It’s definitely the one thing from E3 that made me take notice (never having expected it at all and love it!)

+ KazeEternal on June 25th, 2013 at 8:41 am said:

Ready At Dawn has my money. You guys have done a fantastic job with God of War so you have my attention for your first original IP. I’m really excited about this. Congratulations on meeting this mile stone, hopefully it leads to many more games from you guys as you’re very talented group of individuals.

+ CrusaderForever on June 25th, 2013 at 8:44 am said:

The atmosphere London brings can be dreadful in a good way. Like swimming in murky ocean water not knowing what could be swimming just a few feet away. This looks extremely real and the fog is amazing. It looks like a cross between Van Helsing, Dishonored and Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes! Cannot wait to see some game play. Good luck to your team and thanks for this great article!

+ Ryumoau on June 25th, 2013 at 8:51 am said:

The trailer was kinda meh for me and the setting looks tired. But if theres demos for every game like Sony originally promised, i’ll at least give it a try when it comes to ps4.

+ reson8er on June 25th, 2013 at 8:58 am said:

I love the trailer and know you guys are a dedicated passionate team, but I look forward to see what the game plays like.

+ FeddeCampo on June 25th, 2013 at 9:00 am said:

I love the set of the story, can’t wait for gamepla also :) will be a really cool game for sure :)

+ Metalsonic_69 on June 25th, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

Daxter was a really underrated 3D platformer. Once Ready At Dawn is done with all this gritty violent stuff, any chance you’ll go back to platforming? Save for Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank, there aren’t a lot of big 3D platformers anymore, even on handhelds.

+ stu_woo on June 25th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

Looks excellent so far, excited to see some gameplay. Ordered this and Battlefield 4 to arrive with PS4.

+ remanutd5 on June 25th, 2013 at 9:35 am said:

This game reminds me of Resistance Fall of Man for some reason, i cant wait to see some gameplay, i love Ready at Dawn’s work on the psp, Daxter, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta are among my top 10 psp games of all time.

+ lisatsunami on June 25th, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

I watched the trailer yesterday, after downloading the E3 conference. The live feed was so glitchy, stuttery that it ruined all the trailers. So now I am interested in this game.

+ Attababyitzaboy on June 25th, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

Fred I wanted to find a post so hopefully you could answer this. Why was there not a separate blog post about the early update to the store? I had to go back to find out that someone commented on a post that it would be early due to the maintenance today. Come on man that is a poorly overlooked mistake. I basically purchased over $50 worth of stuff and I can’t even access it because the store is going through maintenance. Please in the future keep your readers and consumers informed as they should.

+ plaztiksyke on June 25th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

Any playable GLBT or female characters?

I’m intrigued, but am slightly put off by “linear” play and all the white dudes with guns.

Very pretty, though :)

+ tusunami on June 25th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

This is why Sony is the best, the list of exclusives are mind blowing. Interested when I 1st heard about this!!!!!!!!!

+ D-Squad3 on June 25th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

The real question is, will gameplay graphics look as good as the “in engine” trailer?

+ Welmosca on June 25th, 2013 at 12:51 pm said:

One of the games I’m super excited to see some gameplay….my excitement went in the sky when I got lore that this game will be a 3rd person action-shooter…and with St.Monica helping this cant go wrong…those unbelievable graphics are already St.Monica doing their thing.If ND dont announce UC4 well I guess it’ll be this game that will really push me to buy a PS4.

+ poodude on June 25th, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

Really excited for this game. I know we haven’t seen any actual gameplay, but the setting premise is very intriguing.

That said, I’ve been reading that the game will be set at a 1920×800 resolution. Can you confirm if the game will run at that resolution or if there will be an option for 1920x1080p?

+ TwinDad on June 25th, 2013 at 2:01 pm said:

I look forward to more information. So far it’s on my watch list.

Please no Quick time events.

+ TomatoDragon on June 25th, 2013 at 2:22 pm said:

One of my most anticipated games. Love the setting. Hoping and praying those enemies are werewolves.

+ Goldrusher on June 25th, 2013 at 3:57 pm said:

It’s a game, not a movie. Save the effects (chromatic aberration, lens distortion, noise, etc.) and the cinema aspect ratios for cut scenes.

+ Wozman23 on June 25th, 2013 at 4:09 pm said:

“Patiently” awaiting a gameplay trailer.

+ JROD0823 on June 25th, 2013 at 5:05 pm said:

I’ll wait a bit to put in my pre-order for this game until I see a few gameplay trailers.

Cautiously optimistic about The Order: 1886.

+ sekaniy on June 25th, 2013 at 5:12 pm said:

Third person Yes!!!

+ michaelochs on June 25th, 2013 at 5:48 pm said:

I’m not really a big fan of third person shooters, the only game I really like as tps is Uncharted, however this game and all the possibilities capable with the new controller and hardware plus what I’ve seen I am really excited. When I was watching E3 this game had me like zoned out on all of the other games, this one here sold the PS4 for me, I just really hope this is a launch title especially since gamestop has this game with the console as a bundle, awaiting for the greatness.

+ subsamuel01 on June 25th, 2013 at 6:01 pm said:

Love third person shooters like uncharted. Hopefully this game is similar in terms of gameplay, the cool things that I noticed are the unique weapons. Can’t wait to see gameplay.

+ SavoyPrime on June 25th, 2013 at 8:20 pm said:

Is it going to be a cover-based shooter? Please say yes!

+ EmperorLawlight on June 25th, 2013 at 9:29 pm said:

The game runs at 800p and 30fps? Very disappointing to here that it isn;t at least 1080p and 30fps.

+ Bind0FGod on June 25th, 2013 at 10:04 pm said:

Ready at Dawn has never failed me. And I like risks. Shine on you crazy diamond…..

+ LX_Theo on June 25th, 2013 at 10:26 pm said:

Hmm… The comments give a very hard to place picture what they’re actually trying to do. I think we’ll nee a visual of the gameplay to know what’s going on.

For now, its… promising.

+ HUMDUDE on June 26th, 2013 at 5:09 am said:

This game had me the most excited for PS4 when watching E3. Granted no gameplay but it was definitely a game I wanted to play right now.

+ flyinglobster32 on June 26th, 2013 at 5:14 am said:

nice

+ Jun_Gu_Ler on June 26th, 2013 at 8:24 am said:

the game looks sick
can’t wait to ses some gameplay footage

+ Phoenix7469 on June 26th, 2013 at 7:48 pm said:

Looks pretty unique. Got to hit up that demo when available.

+ Awe_some1-2-3 on June 30th, 2013 at 3:02 pm said:

Need more gameplay.

+ Katsesama on June 30th, 2013 at 7:48 pm said:

This game speaks volumes to me,mostly because of the historical background about the British empire during this time period(my father had a keen love of British militaria,and made it his business to make sure we read up on our Rudyard Kipling,of course having a family lineage that came from Britain also helped)

it makes for a very interesting setting,the whole secret society/supernatural beast busters aspect is really intriguing.if either character Galahad or Lovelette say’s “here come the fuzzy wuzzy’s boys,have at them!!” I’ll just loss my cargo in a fit of joy.

hard to tell I’m rooting for this title,huh?

+ Pentrix on July 2nd, 2013 at 7:54 am said:

This game instantly caught my attention at E3. I can’t wait for some gameplay. I’m really excited!

+ Red-5x on July 10th, 2013 at 10:51 pm said:

Hi:
Why nobody is answering the questions? That’s not good. what about the Native Resolution for this Game?

+ EXQUISITEEMPRESS on July 21st, 2013 at 12:38 pm said:

I love the setting and their uniforms are intriguing. I wonder what they’re fighting to have such electrififying weaponry. I’m not familiar with Ready At Dawn ‘s previous works but I’m looking forward to this new IP on PS4.