PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

CounterSpy Infiltrates E3 2013

David Nottingham's Avatar + Posted by David Nottingham on Jun 26, 2013 // Lead Designer, Dynamighty

So last week was a crazy E3 blur for us at Dynamighty. Thanks to the good folks at Sony we were able to show CounterSpy to lots of people in their booth. While we were not showing on the main floor we still had a great presence with lots of buzz and even an award nomination! (Thanks Hardcore Gamer!) and we also released our first trailer for the game!

At the show, we were sandwiched between two absolutely beautiful games, Puppeteer, which looks gorgeous, and Beyond: Two Souls, which I swear, people were mistaking for a PS4 title, it looked that good. It was humbling but also inspiring to see the company we were in.

John and I were running between two locations, as the game was being shown in two areas, plus we did some interviews. This Live interview with Gamespot was a particular highlight.

Counterspy

It was our first EVER live interview talking about our game and as John was demoing the controller stopped working! I can only imagine they have crazy microwave frequencies bouncing around in the Convention Center during E3. I can tell you at the time it felt like it lasted for ever. Fortunately they fixed everything and hopefully we didn’t appear too much like a deer in headlights.

The Indie love from Sony was really palpable and it was great to see so many awesome titles from small teams next to the big budget stuff. The two highlights for me personally were Hohokum, which is a fantastic game with such attention to craft. The game just feels beautiful in your hands. And Transistor from SuperGiant Games. I was a huge fan of Bastion with its clever narrative approach and the game is so beautifully polished already. I’m in awe of what the SuperGiant team are doing with such a small group.

Counterspy

The other highlight was going for dinner with our Sony friends and Greg Johnson, of Toejam & Earl fame. One of the things that I love about games is how many people whose games I grew up playing are still out there doing it. Greg is making a game called Doki Doki Universe, which is being published by the same Sony group as us. Greg was the sweetest, nicest guy and pulled out a card game over dinner that he had designed for getting to know people.

So that’s it, now we are back at Dynamighty HQ and hunkered down for our big production push. We got some great feedback from seeing people play the game at the show. We’re busy implementing it all!

Counterspy

During E3 we released an Announcement Trailer, which you can watch at the top of this post. We are super excited to be able to show a bit of the actual game and give you a bit of the flavor of the tone we are going for. It sets the scene for the world we’re creating and your role in it. If you didn’t see it yet check it out!

26 Comments

+ laithXRLD55 on June 26th, 2013 at 11:30 am said:

I love Sony’s indie game support it makes chances for amazing games to be born

+ FeddeCampo on June 26th, 2013 at 11:32 am said:

Only SONY can make this games have such beauty and be so funny, really amazing game

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on June 26th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

I love the look of this game, and that’s awesome that it’s coming out on Vita too. Great job, looking forward to it!

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on June 26th, 2013 at 11:50 am said:

Game’s looking truly amazing! Will keep looking out for it. . .though i still would love to have a poster of the game cover.

+ xClayMeow on June 26th, 2013 at 11:53 am said:

Loved seeing the gameplay, particularly how it “turns 3D” when in cover.

CounterSpy invented the 2.75D platformer!

+ Binarynova on June 26th, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

Love what I’m seeing here! How did I miss this before?

Any chance this title will be cross-buy for PS3 and Vita?

+ SeanStrange on June 26th, 2013 at 12:37 pm said:

Looks really cool and unique!

+ LensXD on June 26th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

Selling Resistance burning skies online pass. Add me on psn

+ lisatsunami on June 26th, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

David, you sound like a very nice man. Best wishes to you and your team on this game. And yes, I also love the indie support that only Playstation is doing.

Don’t think twice about the controller mishap. It happened to Miyamoto and Steve Jobs on the big stage. We all understand.

+ klassymike on June 26th, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

Counter Spy looks like an awesome game. Can’t wait to be able to get in and play it. Any idea of a release date?

+ tusunami on June 26th, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

Man the PS Vita has alot of superb games coming to the handheld. Soul Sacraficewhich is by far better than Monster Hunter.

+ plaztiksyke on June 26th, 2013 at 2:50 pm said:

I love the look and the Russian Expressionist palette.

I’m also curious about cross-buy. $15 for indie games is cool with me, but cross-buy as an addition to the value proposition is what will get even more people interested in “taking a chance” on indies IMO.

I love the horns in the music. Will the music assets be lossless on PS3? or at least max bitrate Ogg/AAC?

+ CatatonicAlex on June 26th, 2013 at 5:17 pm said:

biggest lol/wtf:
“any way to change the skin color of the playable character? are there any GLBT characters in the story?”

+ LuiSpartanMIMIMI on June 26th, 2013 at 6:24 pm said:

Syphon Filter PS4 Sony!!

Give us Gabe Logan back!

+ MickeyWard09 on June 26th, 2013 at 6:28 pm said:

I can’t wait for this! Everything in the game looks so good.

+ maxikd on June 26th, 2013 at 8:10 pm said:

another one to play on my PS Vita.

+ AgentX on June 26th, 2013 at 9:00 pm said:

The visual presentation is striking! It’s overflowing with style. I’ll look forward to the final game, and hope that the gameplay is equally impressive.

+ zepified on June 26th, 2013 at 9:26 pm said:

Another day 1 buy for me, no doubt! I’m so glad to see how Sony is hard at work at trying to bring (successfully) all of these beautiful/creative Indie titles to the Vita and NOT JUST the PS3/4!!! Keep up the good work Dynamighty and keep the creative juices goin’.

+ WREX2252 on June 26th, 2013 at 10:53 pm said:

o i just had this crazy prob i just rented a movie from the psn and after the movie was done downloading it told me that i need to renew my licence and when i go back into the psn its telling me that i need to buy it again and it took the money out of my wallet

+ WREX2252 on June 26th, 2013 at 10:54 pm said:

anyone know what to do

+ Welmosca on June 27th, 2013 at 12:33 pm said:

Looks cool…good sidescrollers are always welcome…and also very good to see a Vita version.I’ll have to try this one.

+ DieYoMoFo on June 27th, 2013 at 1:33 pm said:

That looks like a whole lot of fun. I love the artwork.

It reminds me of prince of persia (80′s PC) & Space Quest (another 80′s PC game) not dissing it, I’m really excited to try this game out. Glad it’s going to be on PS3 as well as Vita.

+ RE_Player on June 27th, 2013 at 7:40 pm said:

This game just screams style. Can’t wait to play it.

+ swan-ton-bom on June 28th, 2013 at 8:05 am said:

Looks fantastic, and a great way to spend time lol like if you’re waiting on something else.

+ DelicaGunz on June 28th, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

Im really psyched for this game

+ er910 on June 29th, 2013 at 7:37 am said:

I love 60′s spy stuff. Day one purchase.