Uncharted 4

Grand Theft Auto V: What We Know

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Jun 28, 2013 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Los Santos is the biggest Grand Theft Auto city yet… and even that is an understatement. Spanning the city of Los Santos and the wide-open countryside of Blaine County, GTA V is larger than Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and the frontier world of Red Dead Redemption combined. What’s more, it will all be fully open for you to explore from the very start of the game.

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3

Three is the magic number

For the first time in a Grand Theft Auto game, you’re not just playing as one character, but three – each with their own individual personalities and lives to live. You’ll get to play missions as one character, combinations of two, and sometimes all three. When you’re not out on a mission, you can switch between these three leads in real time using the character wheel. While you’re controlling one character, the other two will carry on with their daily lives, so you’ll never know what you’ll find the other characters getting up to when you jump between them.

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3

Michael is an ex-bank robber, living a comfortable life under the witness protection programme thanks to a deal he made with the FIB (the game’s version of the FBI). But despite seeming to have it all with a big house and pool in the exclusive Rockford Hills area, fast cars and plenty of money, Michael’s dysfunctional family life has made him resent his retirement and he yearns to get back to what he does best.

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3

Franklin is a born hustler working as a repo man for a luxury car dealership – when their customers inevitably can’t keep up with their repayments, Franklin is the hired muscle who will come knocking to take back their vehicle. Spending time behind the wheel of so many high-performance cars has moulded him into a skilled driver who loves to race, as well as an adrenaline junkie; Franklin can often be found in the doorway of an aircraft, ready to skydive over the sprawling Los Santos landscape.

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3

Trevor is best described as a loose cannon – a one-time criminal associate of Michael, Trevor’s life couldn’t be more different to his ex-partner. Living miles from the city out by the Alamo Sea, his chaotic trailer park life is fuelled by drink and drugs, and joining Trevor could find him doing almost anything – fighting, flying or passed out on the beach dressed only in a pair of grubby underpants. For all his flaws, Trevor is a useful member of the crew – as an ex-military pilot, he can take to the skies in almost any aircraft; handy for the game’s more epic missions.

Play to your strengths

In keeping with their own personalities and skill sets, each character has his own special ability that can be pivotal to successfully pulling off missions and heists. As a veteran bank robber, Michael can slow down time during gun battles, allowing for precision targeting of enemies. Franklin has a similar ability whilst driving, letting him take sharp corners and swerve through built up areas without writing off his vehicle. Trevor can harness his anger and fly into a rage that means he’ll take less damage from enemies and can perform a unique melee attack on his foes.

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3

You’re the boss

Previous Grand Theft Auto titles have seen you take on the role of a low-ranking hoodlum, making your way up through the criminal underworld by carrying out jobs for shady kingpins. In Grand Theft Auto V, you’re jumping directly into the lives of three established criminals, taking in control of the trio’s individual destinies, as well as helping them work together to plan and execute a series of daring heists. As well as these elaborate missions, you’ll also be able to take on additional side quests, or involve yourself in any of the dynamic events that happen as you make your way through Los Santos and Blaine County – for example, encountering a robbery will give you the choice to help foil the crooks, or you can give them a hand in exchange for a share of the loot.

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3

There are more vehicles than ever

The roads of Los Santos are packed with vehicles for you to borrow, as well as motorbikes, trucks and supercars – if you know where to look. But the transport in Grand Theft Auto V isn’t confined to the roads. There will be boats and aircraft for you to pilot – and even bicycles, if you prefer a more environmentally friendly way to travel.

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3

There’s a whole world out there

There’s more to Grand Theft Auto V than just the urban sprawl of Los Santos. Beyond the city limits there’s a living, breathing world with its own thriving ecosystem; mountain lions prowl the hillsides, sharks patrol the oceans and fish fill the rivers. As well as the wildlife, the great outdoors is alive with hikers, campers and fishermen enjoying their surroundings, giving the game world greater depth and detail than any of its predecessors.

Grand Theft Auto V for PS3

Take some time out

If you want to take a break from planning the perfect heist, there are plenty of ways to kill time in Los Santos. Any of the characters can indulge in various hobbies and pastimes, such as going shopping, practicing yoga, playing golf or tennis, and even taking part in a triathlon. Or, if you prefer something to really get the adrenaline pumping, you can send them scuba diving, jet skiing, base jumping and more.

PS3 is the best place to experience GTA V

Starting September 17th, you can get your hands on an exclusive PS3 bundle – including a 500GB PS3 system and a copy of the game – that will let you experience Los Santos in style. Separate to the PS3 bundle, PlayStation teamed up with our friends over at Rockstar Games to create a custom-designed Grand Theft Auto V Pulse wireless headset, so you can enjoy the game’s many unique radio stations and in-game soundtrack with crystal clear sound.

We’ll keep the Grand Theft Auto V news coming, but in the meantime, check out Rockstar Newswire for all the latest news and announcements from Los Santos.

65 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ DZORMAGEN on June 28th, 2013 at 5:24 pm said:

This is amazing!!

+ Johacamigames on June 28th, 2013 at 5:25 pm said:

Hope to see a word on it being digital on the PSN store soon

+ Shungin on June 28th, 2013 at 5:29 pm said:

yea I hope i can digital download it on psn

+ mcbuttz78 on June 28th, 2013 at 5:30 pm said:

Bought..

+ Mobius2525 on June 28th, 2013 at 5:32 pm said:

Wish this was coming to PS4 but will still buy for the PS4

+ Madd_Hatter401 on June 28th, 2013 at 5:38 pm said:

OMG!!! I am dying of anticipation!! I can not wait for this game. I preordered this in April and every day since has been a long one lol..this game looks so good! Any idea when we could possibly see the map?

+ Nightmare142 on June 28th, 2013 at 5:40 pm said:

Can’t wait, Day 1 buy.

+ hardknock55 on June 28th, 2013 at 5:41 pm said:

PLEASE BRING THIS TO PS4!!!!!

+ Brink-2-Chaos on June 28th, 2013 at 5:51 pm said:

Will there be a gta V sound profile for the Pulse elite manager

+ jgramos on June 28th, 2013 at 5:53 pm said:

It looks like this is going to be another great GTA title. I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

+ SouthSideChris on June 28th, 2013 at 5:54 pm said:

All of those games are already huge and its bigger than all of them combined. WOW! GTA V is going to be a game changer. I agree with everyone else, THIS HAS TO COME TO PS4.

+ lbhj on June 28th, 2013 at 6:02 pm said:

I think this should keep me very busy until I can buy the next big thing in gaming history that I want lol. I look forward to the side quests to the point where I may never finish the main storyline which would be a first for me. I think I shall preorder by the end of the month

+ Ghostwize on June 28th, 2013 at 6:26 pm said:

Guarantee you if you switch to Trevor at some point he’ll be wanking it…..

+ Winub on June 28th, 2013 at 6:36 pm said:

$

+ Vidarcr on June 28th, 2013 at 6:37 pm said:

Day 1 Digital? Make it happen Sony!

+ smcinnis on June 28th, 2013 at 6:43 pm said:

All over the GTAV bundle as my launch PS3 is a goner. Do these types of bundles come with the disc or a download code? Cause I honestly wouldn’t mind the digital version.

+ PainOfSarrow on June 28th, 2013 at 7:10 pm said:

awsome awsomee awesomeee. anyone who is not into gta really must have questionable taste SMFHH. cant wait for this. day one buy no dout.

+ Vex_Doppel on June 28th, 2013 at 7:18 pm said:

“What we know” is a great title to this blog post cause we already know this. Maybe later you can post a topic on what we’d like to know. Examples: Online MP, Plans for Next gen, Total vehicles, will there be horses, weapons under water, Can you tow a vehicle or hitch a trailer, can we toggle a convertible, what kinda effect will weather have on gameplay,etc..

+ StingrayX on June 28th, 2013 at 7:25 pm said:

When the game starts…i’m not going to do ANY missions. I’m just going to explore and see how far it takes me from 1 end of the map to the other. Games are meant to be experienced…not rushed. =D

+ StingrayX on June 28th, 2013 at 7:29 pm said:

For the people wanting this for the ps4…just be patient. I bet right now they are in the plans for making a Red Dead sequel for the next gen consoles.

+ blackiemist88 on June 28th, 2013 at 7:39 pm said:

never been so pumped for a game (besides for san andreas and kingdom hearts) def gonna platinum this one… looks to be more exciting than GTA IV

+ RWBRT on June 28th, 2013 at 7:54 pm said:

I need this now.

+ juggalorider on June 28th, 2013 at 8:06 pm said:

PS4 please. i don’t wanna own 2 consuls

+ Cyber-Gladiator on June 28th, 2013 at 8:07 pm said:

I swear, the SCEA’s marketing team fails so bad at the job they do. What an effort… they couldn’t even offer a custom-designed Grand Theft Auto V™ PlayStation®3 video game system to match with the GTA V Pulse wireless headset. SCEA just keeps using the same old plain piano black model console while Sony’s competitor keeps releasing better custom-themed consoles.

+ Lethality-XVII on June 28th, 2013 at 8:17 pm said:

I pre-ordered this game last June… Longest. Wait. EVER.

+ Hoovalation on June 28th, 2013 at 8:18 pm said:

I’m going to wait for the PS4 edition. Oh my God, it’s going to be amazing. :D

+ NicLovingJah on June 28th, 2013 at 8:22 pm said:

i can not wait i will go crazy in this GTA:5

+ snakeeyes211 on June 28th, 2013 at 8:23 pm said:

@ Sid let me ask you a question is the collectors edition Steelcase going to be the size of the other steelcases in the PlayStation3 collection?

+ SimasUS on June 28th, 2013 at 9:23 pm said:

I cant discribe how bad I want this game!

+ lPHOENIXZEROl on June 29th, 2013 at 12:03 am said:

Man this is some old news… Slow news day? I know I know, the purpose of this was just to advertise the bundle and for people who check here and haven’t been keeping up with the news about the game, if you’re interested and haven’t done so already you should.

Haven’t seen anyone use the GTA V is larger than GTA:SA, IV and RDR combined thing since Rockstar came out and said the land area is 3.5 times larger than RDR’s and with the underwater stuff five times larger.

+ Junguler on June 29th, 2013 at 12:04 am said:

love this game
i just hope they change their mind and release it for PS4
i don’t mind the waiting just don’t let us down

+ DaNTi3L on June 29th, 2013 at 12:27 am said:

i am super hyped for this game can’t wait to play it september

+ Subzero316 on June 29th, 2013 at 2:05 am said:

this looks to be the best gta game to date.

+ iREVOLTER on June 29th, 2013 at 3:01 am said:

Day 1 Digital <3, please and thank you !

+ i7_R3J3CTION_i7 on June 29th, 2013 at 6:20 am said:

This looks like the best one out of the series. Off topic but does anyone have an extra Final Fantasy 14 a realm reborn beta code. All my friends got one but I didn’t get lucky;(

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on June 29th, 2013 at 6:30 am said:

How about some new information?

+ No_Sock_Nikes on June 29th, 2013 at 7:30 am said:

are they going to port this game t next gen consoles?

+ FeddeCampo on June 29th, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

You wanted an OPEN world guys? there you have it, in the best way and in the best game :)

Thank you SONY and Rockstar Games for exist!

+ NickMulder on June 29th, 2013 at 10:34 am said:

I hope this comes to PS4 but if they haven’t begun work on it yet, I’d rather they just skip making it for PS4 and just move on to the next game. So hopefully a PS4 version of this game will be announced soon. Otherwise, they’re just gonna spend more time making a different version of the same game when they could be making a new game altogether. I want a PS4 version as much as ANYONE but I hope you see my reasoning here.

+ Metalsonic_69 on June 29th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

RDR was almost TOO big. If this game is even bigger, that seems a bit overwhelming.

+ PrimeroIncognito on June 29th, 2013 at 3:24 pm said:

I have a feeling this is going to be the best game I have ever played.

+ Pukerat on June 29th, 2013 at 4:17 pm said:

I’ve played GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, and 4. GTA 4 was by far the worst game I’ve played in the series. I just couldn’t get into it. I absolutely hated the characters, the soundtrack was bleh, and the graphics/physics overhaul was way overhyped. That game was the biggest waste of $60 since I’ve purchased a PS3.

I’d like to give the series another chance because GTA 3, VC, and SA are some of my favorite games ever, but that 4 left a really bad taste in my mouth.

+ TheUndertaker85 on June 29th, 2013 at 4:48 pm said:

@Brink-2-Chaos: Yes, there will be a custom audio mode for the Pulse Elite headset and GTA V. You can find details of it officially on the PS3 Bundle/Custom Pulse Elite blog post.

“We are also introducing a specifically crafted audio experience exclusive for the PlayStation 3. The custom Grand Theft Auto V audio mode for Pulse – Elite Edition takes full advantage of the BassImpact technology embedded in the Pulse – Elite Edition headset to provide the ultimate Grand Theft Auto V experience. You can download the Grand Theft Auto V audio mode at no cost from the free Pulse – Elite Manager App. This exclusive mode enhances the game’s most epic moments like car crashes, explosions and more.”

+ TheUndertaker85 on June 29th, 2013 at 4:57 pm said:

Can’t wait to get my hands on GTA V. Game looks freaking epic. After seeing the custom Pulse Elite headset too it makes me wish I’d waited to get mine. Oh we’ll there I suppose. Still loving the Pulse Elites and HIGHLY recommend them to everybody. I hope in the future more games offer custom audio modes. Gran Turismo 6 would be the next place to look!

Anyway. Can we get some details on multiplayer? It’d also be amazing if some sort of co-op/split screen was included. Only thing I always felt GTA was missing.

AND GET OUT MORE COLLECTORS EDITIONS! Those things moved fast, faster than expected… >.>

+ Greasepalms on June 29th, 2013 at 6:11 pm said:

PSN Pre-Order please!

+ nolo451 on June 29th, 2013 at 6:33 pm said:

This has been on my Amazon wishlist for the longest time. :P

+ nero_sama on June 29th, 2013 at 7:29 pm said:

Can’t wait to play this!

+ ReVaMpeD_xV on June 29th, 2013 at 11:31 pm said:

This game looks amazing! Can’t wait!

+ HoneyBackwoods on June 29th, 2013 at 11:44 pm said:

Can’t Wait no more… after seeing all of this i feel like breaking in rockstargames and robbing one of the copies of the game lol, This game is going to be the best game of all time! love to play this on the PS4 when it comes out… but i hope one thing that they put back into the game is the way how can style up your rides like in san andreas ! CAN’T WAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT !

+ reynolds-wrap1 on June 30th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

Words cant describe how freakin pumped I am for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to get the PS4 version of it! GTA V mixed with the PS4′s sweet CPU GPU combo will be freakin epic!

PAGE 1 2