Minecraft PS4

Diablo III on PlayStation: Hand-Crafted for Consoles

Jason Bender's Avatar + Posted by Jason Bender on Jul 01, 2013 // Lead Designer, Blizzard Entertainment

I just got back from E3, where we had a good showing of the PlayStation 3 version of Diablo III and announced some cool PS3-exclusive items for the game. The excitement and energy of the show reminded me of a time when people actually left the house to play videogames. Yes, I’m talking about arcades: magical places filled with vibrant colors, flashing lights, and the never-ending clink-clink-clink of tokens cascading out of a change machine. There you could find the latest and greatest games—and people to play them with. Arcades were a uniquely social experience. You could hang out and have fun with friends, or you could make new ones while bonding over joysticks.

Diablo III on PS3

When we decided to bring Diablo III to console platforms, we wanted our four-player co-op to allow for the same spirit of fun that thrived in arcades. Our game had to allow for equal parts teamwork and trash talking, sweaty-palmed intensity and lighthearted mass destruction. You might remember Gauntlet, the iconic dungeon crawler that helped change the face of cooperative gaming with four players on the same screen, killing monsters as the Warrior, Elf, Valkyrie, and Wizard. Thanks to Gauntlet and other popular arcade hits, gamers fell in love with co-op play. That’s the same kind of fun we’re going for with the console version of Diablo III. Four friends on the same couch, working together to slaughter endless hordes of demons, collecting loot, and having a great time — it doesn’t get any better.

We were psyched about bringing Diablo III to consoles because we could potentially create some lasting memories for a whole new group of gamers around the world, but we needed to put in some serious work to make it happen. One thing we wanted to do was highlight the action on big screen televisions, without splitting that real estate into four little screens, so we created a new camera system that stays closer to the action, making it easier to see the animation in combat, where our characters really shine.

We also wanted to really drive home the feeling of control you got with other great action games. We decided to eliminate the pathing approach required by an indirect mouse-and-keyboard interface and introduced direct character control and an Evade command on the right analog stick, putting full tactical positioning into players’ hands. We had to work on this again and again until it just felt right.

Diablo III on PS3

When our team took the stage at the PlayStation booth during E3, we wanted players to see exactly what makes Diablo III the perfect fit for a night of gaming. Massacring a screen full of demons with your friends and racking up a ludicrous number of kills… we don’t think there’s anything else quite like it out there. I hope that once you have your hands on it, you’ll agree.

We’re psyched that Diablo III is coming to PlayStation 3 this summer, and can’t wait for players to round up their friends for some classic “pick up and slay” action.

Just make sure to order pizza… “Wizard needs food, badly!”

76 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ UncannySilk on July 1st, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Does the PS3 ver. of Diablo 3 support Keyboard/Mouse?

+ Jesszman on July 1st, 2013 at 10:54 am said:

Will the PS3 version support dual sign ins? Also, will we be able to bring our character to friends’ houses?

+ Betorro on July 1st, 2013 at 10:56 am said:

PS PLUS UPDATE PLEASEEEE

+ carberri on July 1st, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

I’ve never played a Diablo game before, and I’ve heard good comments, so I give it a try :-)

+ Ryumoau on July 1st, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

I’m very interested in this game. i don’t like playing on pc, so i’m glad you ported it to consoles. I hope there is some kind of demo for me to try the game first to see if i’ll like it.

Also, will the ps4 version be available at launch? if so, i might just get that version instead.

+ Artemisthemp on July 1st, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

I really would like to know, if Diablo 3 Pre order content for PS3 will be available for PS4 also

+ thebledkid22 on July 1st, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

Will this game be available on launch for Playstation 4 and will I still get the preorder bonuses on that console?

+ Shoryyuken on July 1st, 2013 at 11:00 am said:

Already played this on my Mac, it’s a great game. Also where’s the July PSN+ Update?

+ Reluctant-Hero on July 1st, 2013 at 11:02 am said:

I know the Blizzard PR has been focused on the PS3 version; but I’m really more interested in the PS4 release of Diablo III.

Can you guys please share some information on it? Is it even being considered as a “launch window” title, like inFamous: Second Son, to be released in Q1 2014?

+ heyPJ93 on July 1st, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

im pretty excited for the ps3 release, been awhile since I played diablo

+ bt1234567892010 on July 1st, 2013 at 11:07 am said:

I am definitely looking forward to this, especially now that I know how the control scheme’s going to work :D

+ Dragonchasers on July 1st, 2013 at 11:16 am said:

Echoing the request for PS4 info, specifically if I start playing on PS3 then later get the PS4 version, will my character(s) come with me?

Direct control in these games is SO much more fun then click to move… can’t wait to play D3 this way.

+ xFuzylilManPeach on July 1st, 2013 at 11:18 am said:

Ohhh man, this will take over my life when it comes out in September lol

When i was younger my brother would let me play Diablo II on his PC even though my mom strongly disapproved of it haha he got me hooked for life. Thanks for coming to console! :)

And id flip my lid if you guys brought Warcraft III to the PS, my RTS addiction began entirely from your games Blizzard.

+ stalemate666 on July 1st, 2013 at 11:20 am said:

Sigh put up the psn+ update already, seriously it should be the first thing it’s the only thing people are expecting.

+ akisuo on July 1st, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

I held out on the PC version due to many rumors of this coming to consoles. I really can’t wait to get my hands on it. Will we have to be signed into PSN at all times to play? Or can we play offline?

+ Rainwater on July 1st, 2013 at 11:26 am said:

Already preordered this sucker :)

+ SeanStrange on July 1st, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

I’ll get this on my PS4. Can’t wait!

+ whitepony02027 on July 1st, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

I already have this on the PC but i am still excited to see Blizz games coming to PS. I would be even more ecstatic if i could play this on my Vita ;-)

+ MussiBR on July 1st, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

I just don’t get it… every post from today we see users asking for the PS+ content and noone answers us? go figure…

Could you please answer us?

+ thundercat17 on July 1st, 2013 at 11:32 am said:

To anyone asking for the ps+ update, pls do everyone a favor and die

+ Betorro on July 1st, 2013 at 11:33 am said:

July ps plus update please, COME ON!

+ S1lentSurviv0r on July 1st, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

Will I be able to use my PC characters on here?

+ OysterPrime on July 1st, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

I’m also curious to know when this game will come to PS4. I’ve already bought it once for PC, but I only want to buy one version for console and will wait for the PS4 version.

+ unholyrevenger72 on July 1st, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

Does it have online Co-op?

+ AriesWarlock on July 1st, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

Do you need to be connected online to play?

+ RenderMonk on July 1st, 2013 at 12:03 pm said:

If we buy Diablo 3 for the PS3, we will get a digital download code for the PS4 version? Also, when will the PS4 version be released? Day one of PS4 release, launch window of PS4 release, or later 2014? Thanks for any and all info related to this subject. The release of the game on PS3 is just too close to the PS4’s release to not have the information to make an informed purchasing decision.

+ xClayMeow on July 1st, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

Duh, D3 was hand-crafted for consoles…that’s why it’s a dumbed down pile of crap. I hate Blizzard for ruining the Diablo franchise. That is NOT a worthy successor to Diablo 2. Torchlight II and Path of Exile are much better Action-RPGs, and the latter is free.

+ Milagres_ on July 1st, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

ohhh diablo diablo… my biggest gaming disapointment of 2012…
Hope this PS3 version is better (don’t think I’ll buy it though)

+ pabowler300 on July 1st, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

im so hoping that teh characters from PC will port over to ps3/ps4

+ cardinalphoenix on July 1st, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

I’ve been playing the PC version since launch, but I have this pre-ordered and am dying to play this with my wife and another couple that we love to game with. For a long time, we loved playing the Norrath/Return to Arms games, as that was probably the best representation for 4 player local co-op hack and slash on a console.

Regardless of the negativity from the PC crowd, seeing Diablo 3 hit consoles is going to be huge, if for no other reason that, as I’ve been saying for months, it will ABSOLUTELY scratch that itch for 4 player local co-op, and a strong ARPG presence.

One of the big drawbacks on PC is the Auction House, and thankfully, there won’t be an Auction House on consoles. As long as Blizzard can keep a good monitor on people duping items and cheating, the D3 console community will be as healthy as the PC D3 community SHOULD be.

This will be a gamechanger, I’m sure of it.

+ RE_Player on July 1st, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

Is the PS4 version going to be ready at launch?

+ Ryumoau on July 1st, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

the fact that its after 3pm here and the july ps plus update still hasn’t been posted makes me fear the content isn’t very good. :(

just please don’t let it be battlefield. anyone who cares about that game already has it. we want more rpgs, like diablo.

+ GeoDarky on July 1st, 2013 at 12:20 pm said:

I am really excited to get my hands on this iconic franchise for the first time i just didn’t decided what platform should i get it for, PS3 or PS4

+ stalemate666 on July 1st, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

@Ryumoau yeah this is really a late update for the psn+ content it sucks

+ cube50 on July 1st, 2013 at 12:25 pm said:

I’m might cry if we don’t get Battlefield on PS+. But i’m sure you guys will make it up with some free games.

+ Betorro on July 1st, 2013 at 12:26 pm said:

No Battlefield 3 for PS+?

OMG

i’m so disappointed

+ duke301 on July 1st, 2013 at 12:46 pm said:

I’m excited for this as I don’t do much gaming on my PC anymore, ever since I got my PS3. I didn’t bother buying it for the PC because I doubt my computer would even be able to run it. Also, while I like the co-op play when I have some friends over, as the old-school gamer that I am, I’m hoping for an extensive single-player campaign.

+ stekimafijas on July 1st, 2013 at 12:46 pm said:

The PS+ is either going to be great and amazing, or horrible and underwhelming.

Here’s hoping to the first one.

+ NDubbaYa on July 1st, 2013 at 12:48 pm said:

Hand crafted on consoles and beta tested o the PC. Can’t wait for the new D3.

+ Mando44646 on July 1st, 2013 at 1:12 pm said:

release date?

+ carlpain on July 1st, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

The Walking Dead: 400 Days coming tomorrow.

+ Lefoul-123 on July 1st, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

No ps plus update.

+ KazeEternal on July 1st, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

Blizzard has really been half hearted towards us console gamers over the years, its hard to generate interest in a company that pays us no attention until they need to recoup their losses on a failing product.

Just calling it like I see it. If Blizzard really wants to show us they give a damn, let us use KB+M or GamePad or PS Vita as our controller input. The last one is optional, but the first two are non negotiable. Let us play with PC gamers and make our community seamless. Also maybe interact with our community as well as you interact with your PC community. Otherwise I have absolutely no interest in this product going forward, because I know we’re going to be the butt of the joke as the years roll forward. I really don’t feel like going through a Skyrim situation over this game.

+ devilmosh on July 1st, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

I cancelled my pre-order for Diablo III, but only because I’d much rather have the PS4 version if I’m to buy any. I hate waiting a bit longer but I’m sure it will be worth it! Will there be any chance at all of getting previous versions of Diablo as bonuses?

+ Ryumoau on July 1st, 2013 at 1:28 pm said:

@41 the new walking dead is coming tomorrow?!! It was just announced at E3. didn’t expect it that quickly. o_O

+ x_PlaTtiNuM on July 1st, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

wheres the ps plus update !?

+ PatricioUSA on July 1st, 2013 at 1:47 pm said:

@Jason Bender, can I buy your avatar? :)

+ ElektroDragon on July 1st, 2013 at 1:52 pm said:

Screw PS3 exclusive items, where are the PS4 exclusive items? I mean what logic is this? Let’s give the exclusives on PS3 only so people just buy it on PS3 instead of buying a PS4?

+ thelookey6 on July 1st, 2013 at 1:54 pm said:

can you guys tell us what games we have to wait to get for ps+

+ JKar275 on July 1st, 2013 at 1:58 pm said:

I’ve been playing Diablo III on PC & I’m enjoying it a WHOLE LOT!!!!

I never thought that I would enjoy this type of game because I didn’t think that the isometric (top-down) view would be something that i would like because I was only accustomed to 1st-person & 3rd-person views in other games. But I found that this isometric view worked well for me.

I would buy this game for my PS3 in a heartbeat if I had not poured many, many hours into leveling up my Wizard & Demon Hunter characters.

Question: If someone buys the PS3 version, can they transfer over their save (progress) to the PS4 version at a later date (because many of my friends are going to wait until Holiday 2014 to buy a PS4)?

PAGE 1 2