PS4-The Order

Tales of Xillia 2 Exclusively on PS3 in 2014

Hideo Baba's Avatar + Posted by Hideo Baba on Jul 08, 2013 // Producer, Tales Franchise

Tales of Xillia 2 on PS3

This is Hideo Baba, producer for the Tales of series for Namco Bandai Games Studios. I am very excited to announce to all of our Western fans on behalf of the entire Tales of team that we will be localizing Tales of Xillia 2 exclusively on PlayStation 3 in 2014. Over the past year I have had the opportunity to meet with more and more Tales of fans by attending consumer events throughout North America and Europe. I would like to thank you all for being such loyal fans of the series and for helping spread the word for the series to other gamers across the Internet.

Tales of Xillia 2 will build upon the world and lore of Tales of Xillia, available on August 6th, 2013. The game’s story is set a year after the climactic end of Tales of Xillia and will revolve around Ludger Kresnik, a run-of-the-mill man who lives with his brother and cat, and Elle Marta, a young and dependable girl who Ludger meets by chance.

Tales of Xillia 2 on PS3Tales of Xillia 2 on PS3

The main theme for Tales of Xillia 2 is “choice” and that theme is deeply engrained into not only the storyline, but in the gameplay mechanics as well. Throughout the game the player will have to make decisions for Ludger that will cause the story to branch out in a new direction. In addition to these key decision moments, the idea of choice is also reflected in the new Weapon Swap mechanic while in battle. Players will be able to switch between three main weapons; a sledgehammer, dual pistols and dual blades in real-time during combat. In addition to the new Weapon Swap system, the linking system returns from Tales of Xillia. Players can link to any active party member in battle to team up and destroy enemies with support attacks and powerful linked artes attacks.

We will have a lot more to talk about regarding Tales of Xillia 2 as the year continues. Please be sure to pick up a copy of Tales of Xillia in a few weeks, as well as Tales of Symphonia Chronicles — also exclusive to PS3 — early next year.

91 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ bldudas on July 8th, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

Yes, great to hear. Thank you.

+ osborn2009 on July 8th, 2013 at 10:48 am said:

Best news EVER.

+ TinCannEd on July 8th, 2013 at 10:50 am said:

A little ambtious, don’t you think. I would of waited until after the release of the first Tales of Xilla before stating that they are already working on the Sequel.

Would of been smart to wait 6 months before announcing this news.

+ Dragonzblaze on July 8th, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

cant wait i love the tales of series can’t wait to pick up tales of xillia on august 6th definetly getting tales of xillia 2 and tales of symphonia chronicles next year

+ KazeEternal on July 8th, 2013 at 10:52 am said:

Collectors Edition?

+ jh6269 on July 8th, 2013 at 10:55 am said:

Thank you so much Mr. Baba-san. It really puts my mind, as a fan of the series, at ease when I play Xillia this summer/early fall, that the second one will be coming after all. I really appreciate the effort you are giving to bring us these wonderful Tales of games. Thank you so much.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on July 8th, 2013 at 10:58 am said:

@3 umm you DO know xillia 1 and 2 already exist in japan right? so all their doing is announcing theyll release 2 in teh US as well.. its not like they’re making a brand new game (sequel) without releasing the first one before seeing how it does first…

I mean lets say xillia does poorly in the US… xillia 2 is already made so by bringing it to teh US the only thing they woulda wasted money on is dubbing the game since everything else is already done.

this isn’t like final fantasy xiii 2 being announced when final fantasy xiii hasnt even hit store shelves yet. (which didnt happen Im just using that as an example)

+ rafael_martines on July 8th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

Well only Tales of Symphonia Chronicles will have dual audio so it’s only Tales I will buy… I won’t buy Xillia 2 until Xillia 1 have dual audio ;) Best of luck for who will buy the english version of Xillia 1 \o

+ FearMonkey on July 8th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

Yes! I cannot wait! I have Xillia pre-ordered, really looking forward to both Xillia 2 and Symphonia Chronicles! :)

Also currently in the process of Platinum’ing Graces.

+ APA_ZAROZO on July 8th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

Thanks, Baba, for finally taking us, JRPG fans in this side of the globe, in consideration. I already pre-ordered Tales of Xillia, Now, if the Tales Of, for PS Vita would come out here (especially, Tales of Hearts R)… then that would truly show, you’re not ignoring us, anymore.

+ akisuo on July 8th, 2013 at 11:01 am said:

How about some Tales of love for the Vita? =)

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 8th, 2013 at 11:06 am said:

Wow… so finally, at the end of the generation and the dawn of the PS4, we FINALLY start getting PS3 RPGs… and not grid-based, strategy RPGS, but honest to God JRPGs… better late than never I guess.
If we support these now and in the coming year, does that mean you guys and the Tales of team will support the PS4 outside Japan going forward? This generation was a huge loss for Western gamers.

+ lisatsunami on July 8th, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

Yes, Tales of Xillia pre-ordered, and this will be my first Tales game so I don’t really know how I’m going to like it but if I do, of course I’ll pre-order #2.

+ Baedeker on July 8th, 2013 at 11:11 am said:

A bad day just became a Great day. Thank you.

+ aznexcav on July 8th, 2013 at 11:13 am said:

Sweet can’t wait for this I preordered the first one and this one wilbe as well. You guys should consider the tales for the vita.

+ doyzndahood on July 8th, 2013 at 11:15 am said:

can we have this with dual audio baba . love from canada

+ Artemisthemp on July 8th, 2013 at 11:17 am said:

I read that having a save from Tales of Graces F and Tales of Xillia unlock special stuff in Xillia 2

+ GeoDarky on July 8th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

awesome we need MORE JRPG Sony please

+ DrApollo on July 8th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

Will this be made available on the PSN?

+ Hinata014 on July 8th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

@17

The save data just unlocks some attachments for your characters, nothing too huge.

+ Artemisthemp on July 8th, 2013 at 11:42 am said:

@20 Still awesome bonus.

+ Beargram on July 8th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

Thank you based Baba-san.

Playing through Graces f now, and fully intend to get Xillia and Xillia 2 when they are out!

+ PHEEliNUX on July 8th, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

I only saw gameplay videos, Finally a Tales game i can call good?

Now we just need news about Persona 5

+ Ryumoau on July 8th, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

Thank you guys for localizing both Xilia games.

Btw, could you please talk to Sony about giving us PS Plus discounts on the digital version of Tales of Xilia if it is day 1 digital?

+ Ghostwize on July 8th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

Day one buy for Xillia and Xillia 2! Tales has been the number 1 rpg over Final Fantasy for some time now. Vesperia was a masterpiece. Loved the days of World Maps. Bring em’ back Hideo!

+ Ryumoau on July 8th, 2013 at 12:00 pm said:

Also, you should charge extra for the japanese audio as dlc for all the obnoxious japanaphiles who can’t appreciate the hard work Namco America put into dubbing these games.

And Thanks so much for bringing my favorite Tales game (symphonia) back in HD with trophies. I hope its released really early next year.

+ Ghostwize on July 8th, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

Oh yeah! Symphonia HD will be a day one purchase as well! :P

+ cloud73 on July 8th, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

Now we need Tales of Hearts R and Tales of Innocence R to come out here for PS Vita.

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on July 8th, 2013 at 12:12 pm said:

Awesome! I can’t wait.

+ Dyne1319 on July 8th, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

All I can say is i better be able to play PS3 games on the cloud on my PS4 by then or this is gonna be a hard sell.

+ Dyne1319 on July 8th, 2013 at 12:23 pm said:

@ryumoau, Yes because people that want the series to do well should pay more for something that should be included. We “Japanaphiles” would prefer that they not bother doing the VA for the NA release and you could all learn to read.

+ Welmosca on July 8th, 2013 at 12:23 pm said:

Yay thanks for supporting PS playas Namco….doing games exclusively for PS platforms..thats the way to do it.I’m one that will always be supporting you guys.

+ D-Squad3 on July 8th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

Only on PlayStation. That’s how it should be forever. Thanks!

+ ABRipperXX on July 8th, 2013 at 12:33 pm said:

Pre-ordered the collectors for the first one cant wait to play both! bring on more tales!

+ poodude on July 8th, 2013 at 12:48 pm said:

Thanks for localizing both games! I’m just gonna assume preorders for the first game are doing well here in North America :P.

Now to count down the days until Xillia releases.

+ Zionine on July 8th, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

I’ll add a +1 for the Vita Tales games, Baba.
There’s a need for those great RPG’s to come out over here in the West.. Please don’t forget us fans that have Vitas.
What is needed for it to come out to the west? Do you need a petition for them..? I’m not sure what would be the best course of action… There’s a high saturation of people that own Vitas that would love your games! Don’t be intimidated about the low number of total Vita sales in the US. More-so.. look at how many JRPG lovers got P4G, and how well Aterlier Totori did without any popularity, hype, or advertising..
(which, by the way, for those that don’t know.. Aterlier Meruru Plus is on its way with an actual Retail release. Sep 3.

+ Tjoeb123 on July 8th, 2013 at 1:15 pm said:

@26 (Ryumoau)

I already have the Collector’s Edition fully paid off, so Plus discounts won’t matter to me. Also, I call these “Japanaphiles” “anime purists”. Yes I think the JP voices should be a DLC add-on (and patched to add support) later on down the road, and charge only a small fee (or free) like they did with Soul Sacrifice. Though, I don’t usually use the JP tracks in games that have them, the only exception being SS because my character’s JP voices fit better with her.

Now if only NISA would’ve done consistent english voice dubbing in Hyperdimension Neptunia. (For those who don’t know, only some of the events in the series have english dubbing, while ALL events (except for a few minor ones) have JP voice acting.)

@31 (Dyne1319)

Some of us want to read along with the voice acting. Some of us PREFER English dubbing. Don’t assume nobody wants English dubs. Ever seen Fullmetal Alchemist?

+ Elvick_ on July 8th, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

Now all you have to do is bring out the PS Vita games, and you’ll be on a solid track to the future.

And to be ‘that guy’, I’ll just say that I’d totally still buy Vesperia PS3.

+ sackchief on July 8th, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

Awesome! I’m psyched for Xillia, so this news is great!

+ venneer on July 8th, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

Excellent news. Will definitely pick this one up. PS3 going out strong.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on July 8th, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

I wonder if, by then, the Gaikaï service will be out, to play PS3 games on PS4. That would be nice. I’d prefer playing only on PS4 starting next summer. If not, I’ll make an exception for this game surely, lol.

+ PHEEliNUX on July 8th, 2013 at 1:33 pm said:

@26 Sure, If the English dub is actually good, Other than Symphonia and Vesperia(Which Nintendo and Microsoft help to localize, Respectively) The other games has horrible dubs, Judging ToX from the trailer, It is not any better

+ XxMike466xX on July 8th, 2013 at 1:45 pm said:

I’m really happy for this, I have every Tales game that has been localized since the original Symphonia. Can’t wait to hear more about it.

+ death_nation100 on July 8th, 2013 at 2:47 pm said:

Look like I need to start from the very first Tales game in order to see what the rest have to offer.

+ DPtheGod on July 8th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

I cannot wait for this. I’ve already had tons of fun with Xillia, and will have fun with it again next month. Was thinking of importing 2, as it has been at a good price on some sites. But, I may just end up waiting. Thanks for the localization, Namco, without waiting for actual sales on Xillia overseas <3

+ tusunami on July 8th, 2013 at 3:22 pm said:

Cool more great games coming for PS3, but what I’m more excited about is the games for PS Vita!!!!!!

+ iOSandAndroidFan on July 8th, 2013 at 3:22 pm said:

Man, this game looks cheesy as hell.

Keep Asian games in the Asian markets please!

I guess Im not surprised at games like this showing up in NA, since more girls are playing video games.

Just try to limit this type of stuff please.

More stuff like Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock.

+ Heavenly_king on July 8th, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

Great news :)

+ chemerie on July 8th, 2013 at 3:53 pm said:

Any chance we can be getting a Tales game for PSVita here in the west in 2014? Also, do you guys at Namco have ever considered an HD collection of the Xenosaga trilogy?

+ MarinoBrea on July 8th, 2013 at 4:54 pm said:

This is the way you start to get back on track. Japanese developers must believe in their talents and KNOW there is a big audience for it in the West (on PlayStation consoles), just look a titles like Ni No Kuni. Keep it up Namco!

PAGE 1 2