The Last Guardian

Jul 10

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus Coming to PS3 This Holiday

James Stevenson's Avatar Posted by James Stevenson on Jul 10, 2013 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3

Since completing the Ratchet & Clank Future saga (Tools of Destruction, Quest For Booty, and A Crack in Time) we’ve had a really amazing time expanding the universe of our intergalactic heroes. From creating the first four-player co-op Ratchet & Clank experience for the whole family to enjoy with All 4 One, to returning with the first all-new R&C competitive mode in Full Frontal Assault, we’ve challenged ourselves to bring new types of play to the Ratchet series.

We’re excited to announce that Ratchet and Clank are returning this year with an all new original single-player epilogue to the Future games. Under the creative direction of Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time creative director Brian Allgeier, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus is a story-driven platform adventure, with the humor and heart that make the franchise so beloved.

As you can see from the trailer, Into the Nexus has a bunch of crazy new weapons and gadgets. Gravity is one of the themes of Into the Nexus: you’ll experience zero-g space, you’ll use gravity-defying new gadgets, and you’ll manipulate gravity to solve brand new Clank puzzles.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3

The game will be available exclusively on PS3 this holiday, in stores and on PlayStation Network for an MSRP of $29.99. It’s our biggest downloadable Ratchet & Clank game yet, dwarfing the size of both Quest For Booty and Full Frontal Assault. We’ll be bringing you more news soon – and for exclusive preview coverage of the game be sure to check out IGN’s preview and initial thoughts.

As always, for all the latest, stay tuned to the Insomniac Twitter and Facebook page. I’ll try to answer whatever questions I can in the comments below.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3

+ DuncanR2N on July 10th, 2013 at 7:24 pm said:

Fantastic! I love Ratchet & Clank! I’ve been waiting for a return to the awesomeness of the core Ratchet gameplay. I loved the PS2 games, as well as ToD/QfB/CiT. I enjoyed A4O and FFA but they aren’t quite the same. Crack in Time was, in my opinion, the best entry in the entire series and I’d love to see another game like that. Everything about that game was fantastic, the story, the gameplay, level design, cruising around the various systems in the Galaxy. Fantastic game. So glad to hear about another entry!!! One question, will this also mean a return to the pre-A4O character models? Not a huge fan of the redesigned characters.

+ trekerie on July 10th, 2013 at 7:24 pm said:

Yet another R&C to add to the collection :)
(And while I know insomniac didn’t dev Size Matters or Secret Agent Clank, seeing both in HD for the Vita is definitely on my wishlist)

+ TenraiKen on July 10th, 2013 at 7:38 pm said:

I just have to ask since I am learning 3d modeling. What kind of sorcery do you guys use to have such perfect geometry and yet have the games run so smooth. Most of the time when I play a game, I am actively looking for shortcuts that the devs used such as normals, billboards, and simple sprites. I rarely find any shortcuts like that and if I do, it is so well placed and done so perfectly that I can barely comprehend it. The company name of Insomniac seem like it is is very fitting. You can’t have time to sleep when you are too busy being a perfectionist.

+ BossmanCCrowder1 on July 10th, 2013 at 7:38 pm said:

Forget the haters. I am super pumped for this game already! Love the return of the classic Ratchet style. I will be pre ordering as soon as I can!

+ DeadlyButterfly on July 10th, 2013 at 7:39 pm said:

I’m extremely happy to see a new “true” Ratchet & Clank game! Very awesome!!!

+ MosesUnspoken on July 10th, 2013 at 7:39 pm said:

I’ll buy and support this game, if only to fund the possibility of a PS4 game coming out to coincide with the Ratchet and Clank movie in 2015.

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 8:20 pm said:

Thanks so much! You should be able to pre-order very very soon!

+ darksidersguy123 on July 10th, 2013 at 7:45 pm said:

ya I might try it out looks pretty interesting!

+ zultan8212 on July 10th, 2013 at 7:49 pm said:

I don’t really understand all the negativity about A4O and FFA. Given, they are not my favorite games in the series, but they were something different and I had a good time playing them.

Glad to see another single player game in the series and even happier that the creative director from A Crack In Time is involved. Can’t wait!

+ Heavenly_king on July 10th, 2013 at 7:54 pm said:

If this is as good as A Crack in Time I will buy 2 copies!!! :D

@6: So this is the Last R&C game? :O

+ poodude on July 10th, 2013 at 7:58 pm said:

I’m really glad to see a new Ratchet and this quote just made me smile:

“At the same time, we love single-player Ratchet adventures. We’ve continued to generate new ideas for weapons, gadgets, and planets. It feels like the time is right to revisit Ratchet’s personal story arc.”

I know you guys have placed an emphasis on multiplayer lately (Fuse, Sunset Overdrive); but I absolutely love singleplayer Insomniac games. The Resistance trilogy is my favourite FPS series of all time and A Crack In Time was amazing. So thank you Insomniac, for once again putting out what I’m sure is to be a great experience.

+ RepentantSky on July 10th, 2013 at 7:59 pm said:

Please tell me there will be a physical copy of the game. I have at least one version of every game in the series minus a quest for booty because it doesn’t have a physical copy, and I am always excited to add to the collection.

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 8:20 pm said:

There will be a disc version!

+ aelurio1980 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:01 pm said:

And where is the version of the vita?

+ KrazE94 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:02 pm said:

Any news of the R&C Tools of Destruction and Future being available for download in the Playstation store?

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 8:21 pm said:

No news at the moment

+ Kaneda_Neo-Tokyo on July 10th, 2013 at 8:03 pm said:

Already bought Ratchet & Clank Collection / Quest For Booty / All 4 One / ACIT / TOD. Won’t miss this one.

Hope to see Ratchet & Clank on PS4. It will be HUGE……

+ dboy99 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:04 pm said:

Well, i guess i should get through that ratchet and clank collection i just picked up,gotta try and track down the other ps3 games as well.When will pre orders go up?

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 8:24 pm said:

very soon hopefully!

+ Kaneda_Neo-Tokyo on July 10th, 2013 at 8:23 pm said:

James Stevenson, someone on twitter said it could be on PS4 too ? Is it true ? Should I take PS3’s version or wait for PS4’s one ?

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 8:25 pm said:

No plans for PS4 at this time

+ Hayterfan on July 10th, 2013 at 8:23 pm said:

Off topic, but a silly rumor when the second image was released had me hoping for a Ratchet x Jak game.
Has that idea ever been toyed around with, an actual action platformer starting two of Sony’s biggest mascot’s (I will never acknowledge Move All Stars)

+ KingCloud13 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:23 pm said:

I don’t get why R&C A4O gets so much flack. True, it wasn’t a great single player experience like the previous entries, but I don’t think it was meant to be played from that perspective. The game is all about co-op and having a team (I feel that at least 3 people is where the fun really begins) to play with. The entertainment value of that game increases significantly when it’s played how it was meant to be: with a group. It’s a great party game to have for when you are bored with friends and are looking for some good times (a la 90% of the Wii’s library).

That being said, I am very much looking forward to a return to the more classic R&C formula of single player, exploration platformer with all the fun weapons. This is a series that should stick to its roots and continue making quality single player experiences with the signature humor, characters and universe- that’s where this series shines. I was also hoping that this would be a crossover title between the R&C and Jak and Daxter universes (what I got from the teaser photos). I would like to see a quality crossover of that caliber one day given Naughty Dog and Insomniac’s relatively close relationship; if done right it could be an instant classic.

+ martinirage1 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:18 pm said:

Wow this R&C trailer looks really great! I hope it catapults the series into a new level of awesomeness. I haven’t really felt like the ps3 R&C games captured the originality of the ps2 games.

+ GENPATTON10 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:18 pm said:

Since the game is debuting with a price of $30.00, will it be a full game like a Crack in Time or is it more of an expansions with less content then a full fledged Ratchet and Clank Game?

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 8:24 pm said:

It’s not quite as big as say, A Crack in Time, but it’s much larger than Quest For Booty or Full Frontal Assault.

+ theman2900 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:20 pm said:

They REALLY need to make a R&C on the ps4,!!!!!

+ GENPATTON10 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:21 pm said:

What’s the news on the Vita version IGN said there is a possibility, are you planning on trying to get a vita version out there? Keep up the great work, you guys produce great games. I’ve loved every Ratchet game, don’t mind the rude people trashing All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault. You always make great games and take pride in that.

+ GODSGAMER4LIFE on July 10th, 2013 at 9:35 pm said:

I am stoked for this game and could care less if its ps4 or ps3, but how about a new Jak and Daxter?????????????

+ ahrouncrinosxiii on July 10th, 2013 at 9:35 pm said:

Can’t wait!!! It’s looking fantastic :D Really hoping for a Vita exclusive R&C title though :) Loved Size Matters back in the day and it’d really help sell such an amazing handheld!

+ remanutd5 on July 10th, 2013 at 9:50 pm said:

I dont usually pre order games but i will pre order Into the Nexus, i just simply love Ratchet and Clank, I have been asking for A Crack in Time to come to ps plus for quite some time now, ACIT ranks among my top 10 best ps3 games of all time. If you guys are releasing Into the Nexus on the psvita please, please, please you guys handle the port dont let other incompetent studios do it, please.

And a Ratchet and Clank ps4 game must happen, it simply must happen. Vita is in serious need of a full fledge Ratchet and Clank game too.

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 9:58 pm said:

Awesome! Thanks so much. Pre-ordering is huge for devs. It should be up for pre-order very very soon

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 9:58 pm said:

+ Munty13 on July 10th, 2013 at 10:19 pm said:

Hi James,

Roughly how long have you been working on the game for? It looks fantastic and I’m super glad that we’re back to the future series.

Also, any updates on the movie? That first trailer was amazing!

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 1:59 pm said:

Since last year. No updates on the movie, it’s coming along

+ Xdark_dragonX on July 10th, 2013 at 10:28 pm said:

Please make this run at 60 fps like the Future Series ran at including all the previous ones!! A4O and FFA didnt feel smooth like all other Ratchet games were, so with this title being a return to the oldschool formula under Brian Allgeier, we expect this to be a fully polished 60 fps experience!!!!

Also please bring back the solid AA (anti-aliasing) from Tools of Destruction where there were hardly any jaggies!!

+ Randy16killer on July 10th, 2013 at 10:30 pm said:

Day 1 purchase for me. Big fan of Insomniac Games and the Ratchet and Clank series. Also, PS4 Ratchet and Clank game PLEASE!!!!

+ Jorgeman7931 on July 10th, 2013 at 10:49 pm said:

congrats insomniac your games are the best i enjoy the ffa twist but this is going to be great!

1. Are you going to confirm if this goes to vita or not later?
2. Is there gonna be any ratchet collection for vita?

thanks!! excellent work!

+ DirtySoap3D on July 10th, 2013 at 10:59 pm said:

Really psyched about this game, but I have to ask. Are the hoverboots coming back in this? I love those things in CIT and FFA. It’ll feel weird going back to not having them.

+ DarkMegamanSX900 on July 10th, 2013 at 11:10 pm said:

Hey Mr Stevenson I have three questions to ask you.

1)Do you think you guys and Sony,will make new Ratchet and Clank avatars.Seeing how this is going to be a new game.I have all the All 4 One avatars from when they first came out.

2)Will this game take us deeper into the storyline more?.Will we find out more about the Lombaxes?

3)Will this support trophys?.You know I love colleting trophys,specially for Ratchet and Clank games.

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

1. It’s possible, up to them.

2. There is definitely a story that ties to Ratchet’s personal story. I can’t say too much yet.

3. Of course. All PS3 games are required to have trophies these days.

+ yang3633 on July 10th, 2013 at 11:23 pm said:

Thanks James for answering all of our questions. I have a few of my own if you don’t mind.

1. Is Ratchet and Clank’s character design going to look more like the original Future series designs, which are my favorite designs of the characters to date, or will they look more like they do in the recent games like A4O or FFA? Or is it sort of a mesh between the two designs? (I just don’t want to feel like I’m playing in Big Head Mode, lol)

2. As for hours of play, I’ll simply ask this: How many ‘Quest For Booty’s could you fit into ‘Nexus’? You can just guess if you want.

3. How long has the team been working on this game and/or thinking and planning it? In other words, how long have you guys been keeping this a secret? ;-)

4. I know it’s an epilogue to the Future series, but does it take place before A4O and FFA or after?

Thanks a bunch. From a lifelong Insomniac Games Fan. (Go Original Spyro! Let’s Bring him Back! lol)

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

1. The design in A41/FFA is the continued extension of the design (though A41 had some specific changes for readability on screen).

2. I don’t want to guess. It’s shorter than ACIT, and much larger than Q4B.

3. We’ve been thinking and working on this for over a year.

4. It takes place after A4O, the comics, and FFA.

+ JDMwarrior on July 10th, 2013 at 11:30 pm said:

Hey James, I read your previous comment saying “you’ll see Talwyn for sure”. That really got me excited when you said that because its awesome to see past characters returning for a final stand! Im looking forward to the game and all it’s new creative things to discover! You’ve got yourself a sale my friend ;)

+ SonicusZ on July 10th, 2013 at 11:50 pm said:

Really glad to see this! I was worried we wouldn’t be seeing a new traditional Ratchet and clank for a while since Sunset Overdrive was announced for the xbox one. I’m assuming this has been in the works for a while though.

I hope I can level up and upgrade my weapons like crazy again!

Well I can’t wait to play this and I hope you guys bring this series to the PS4 soon too!

+ Acquire16 on July 11th, 2013 at 12:00 am said:

This is great. I’ve played every Ratchet and Clank game and was starting to think it was dead with All4One and that weird Full Frontal Assault. Like that it’s going back to it’s roots. We need more platformer games in general, which is why I’m excited for Knack on the PS4.

+ BlindMango on July 11th, 2013 at 12:05 am said:

Woah, another exciting PS3 that I’ll have to pick up this year and play along with all my PS4 games! The end of this year will bankrupt me and also probably make me flunk all of my classes, and thanks for adding another game to increase those odds! haha, just kidding, I’ll definitely focus on school too (although my wallet will be empty). It is awesome the price point that this will be at, THANK YOU for doing what other developers should do and put your game a price point that every game should be priced at.

It sucks this isn’t also releasing on PS4 but it’s different architecture and a lot of work to do so, so I understand that. I’m also excited to see that this is a new, full-length story driven Ratchet game just like A Crack in Time and Tools of Destruction! Even though I didn’t care much for All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault because the major focus of those games weren’t my style, I respected your reasoning for wanting to try something new, but man am I still happy to see this! Thanks Insomniac! =D

+ NOTTULYS on July 11th, 2013 at 12:15 am said:

Played this series for years and own all of these games…keep them coming

and Please announce a Ratchet and Clank Online Multiplayer game soon.(Theres enough characters)

+ GLO-GEN on July 11th, 2013 at 12:21 am said:

I guess my wallet will be all empty this year, but this isn’t a problem for one of my fav. franchises!
Thank you Insomniac!
(Sorry for my english, i’m italian.)

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 2:05 pm said:

Your english is great! Thanks for the kind words

+ degaeil on July 11th, 2013 at 12:24 am said:

“We have a ton of Ratchet fans on PS3 who loved the Future saga, it seemed right to bring the Epilogue to them on that platform! :-)”

Couldn’t agree more. While I hope to see R&C on PS4, the Future Epilogue belongs with the rest of the Future series.

Nice to see R&C return in a single-player game, can’t wait.

+ auron1014 on July 11th, 2013 at 12:33 am said:

Sheesh I can’t believe how rude some people can be when they’re talking to game developers. These people put a lot of time into making these things and have feelings, y’know. You might not like certain games, but that’s no excuse to be a jerk.

Anyway, I’m incredibly excited for this! I loved a Crack in Time and the story in that one. I liked Full Frontal Assault too! It was the classic R&C gameplay with the tower defense twist. But for sure I’m excited to see Nexus going back to the series’ roots.

Fingers crossed for an eventual PS4 R&C!

+ cowbanana on July 11th, 2013 at 12:39 am said:

PS3?! No Vita version… stay classy SCEA! Can you care less about the Vita?

FFA Vita was hot garbage. Is hot garbage all you have?

+ Welmosca on July 11th, 2013 at 12:39 am said:

YAY thanks Sony for keeping supporting the PS3…(where you shouldn’t have never stepped off)…cant wait…this is a must buy already…I love me some Ratchet as a fan of the series I’m really eager to play this one…those are some cool gameplay mechanics hu….plus SP only + Retail version as well “are you guys reading ma mind?” lol.Damn you have ma money already.

PS:Why did I already knew that there would be whiners about a PS4 version before click in the post…oh yes!!!..

+ Ifti1983 on July 11th, 2013 at 12:41 am said:

im not so good at english but is t co-operative because i want play it wth my friend

+ Welmosca on July 11th, 2013 at 12:42 am said:

Forgot to say …plus longer SP than Q4B and FFA….aight thats really like reading ma mind.Both games left me wishing more when I finished them.

+ Go_Buddie_Go on July 11th, 2013 at 12:42 am said:

So many feels right now, I honestly thought Insomniac Games were going to ditch Ratchet & Clank.

First off, this looks to have all the elements that made the originals, and A Crack in Time so great. (Missed out on Tools of Destruction)

Now I don’t hate All 4 One or Full Frontal Assault. As it’s common for a developer to venture out and try new ideas, but I’m just so happy. Ratchet and Clank is back!

And although I can understand disappointment in no PS4 version. I’m actually quite happy this is a PS3 version, it just proves that PS3 still very much has life left in it, and isn’t going anywhere. I’ll definitely be booting up my PS3 to play Into the Nexus later this year.

Thanks, Insomniac Games!

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 2:06 pm said:

you really should grab a copy of TOD while you wait for Into the Nexus. :-)

+ yaylak_aksaray on July 11th, 2013 at 12:52 am said:

oh man i hope we ll get this time a full 720p game. dont get me wrong your older games looked awesome, but it was sooo blurry …

+ Redikol on July 11th, 2013 at 1:10 am said:

I’m very proud of you guys at Insomniac for finally returning back to form with this game. I have been very disappointed in you guys with everything after Resistance 3. I must say though, ever since I seen this news today at IGN, I have been all smiles. I am really stoked for this and will buy it on Day 1!

Keep it up Insomniac, don’t stop now. The PS4 is around the corner and I can only imagine what great things you guys could bring to the table with the awesome possibilities it brings.

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 11th, 2013 at 1:15 am said:

This is a very nice surprise. I personally wasn’t interested in A4O due to the sudden change from SP to co-op (as at that point I’d only played ToD and ACiT), and then FFA was basically TD, which I abhor… so I skipped that one, too. So it’s awesome to see that the Future series is getting one last hurrah on PS3 before it hopefully makes the jump to next-gen in the future. And while I found FUSE to be rather disappointing and passed on buying it, and your new IP is exclusive to the competitor’s console, I won’t let those facts sway me from supporting your continuation of this amazing franchise. So, thank you for bringing back that classic R&C formula on the PS3 one last time. Looking forward to getting this on disc and placing it next to the HD Collection, ToD and ACit. :)

+ J3ffr3y_Big-Diq on July 11th, 2013 at 1:23 am said:

I was really hoping Insomniac Games would go back to the old character designs. The character designs before All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault/Q-Force were awesome, however, everything (mainly the character designs) went downhill quite fast after A Crack In Time. I am going to buy this, almost regrettably, but please consider going back to the old character designs, Insomniac. And another Spyro game wouldn’t hurt. Thanks for reading. :3