PS4 - Transistor

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus Coming to PS3 This Holiday

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on Jul 10, 2013 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3

Since completing the Ratchet & Clank Future saga (Tools of Destruction, Quest For Booty, and A Crack in Time) we’ve had a really amazing time expanding the universe of our intergalactic heroes. From creating the first four-player co-op Ratchet & Clank experience for the whole family to enjoy with All 4 One, to returning with the first all-new R&C competitive mode in Full Frontal Assault, we’ve challenged ourselves to bring new types of play to the Ratchet series.

At the same time, we love single-player Ratchet adventures. We’ve continued to generate new ideas for weapons, gadgets, and planets. It feels like the time is right to revisit Ratchet’s personal story arc.

We’re excited to announce that Ratchet and Clank are returning this year with an all new original single-player epilogue to the Future games. Under the creative direction of Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time creative director Brian Allgeier, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus is a story-driven platform adventure, with the humor and heart that make the franchise so beloved.

As you can see from the trailer, Into the Nexus has a bunch of crazy new weapons and gadgets. Gravity is one of the themes of Into the Nexus: you’ll experience zero-g space, you’ll use gravity-defying new gadgets, and you’ll manipulate gravity to solve brand new Clank puzzles.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3

The game will be available exclusively on PS3 this holiday, in stores and on PlayStation Network for an MSRP of $29.99. It’s our biggest downloadable Ratchet & Clank game yet, dwarfing the size of both Quest For Booty and Full Frontal Assault. We’ll be bringing you more news soon – and for exclusive preview coverage of the game be sure to check out IGN’s preview and initial thoughts.

As always, for all the latest, stay tuned to the Insomniac Twitter and Facebook page. I’ll try to answer whatever questions I can in the comments below.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS3

+ EmperorKorea on July 10th, 2013 at 8:31 pm said:

aww, i wanted a full length traditional ratchet.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 9:15 pm said:

This game is pretty meaty, I have to say. I think you’ll enjoy it a lot, especially for the price. It’s much bigger than say Q4B or FFA

+ RTGmgs on July 10th, 2013 at 8:31 pm said:

My mouth dropped when I found out about this game! I love you Insomniac Games! You are the best developers in the industry. Don’t listen to your haters, you guys make the best games. You have my pre-order and look forward to playing this gorgeous game. Keep up the great work :)

+ Zaike on July 10th, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

Any news on when Ratchet: Deadlocked HD is going to be released?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 9:16 pm said:

Unfortunately not. It’s still with SCEE for approval.

+ JamalVita_91 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

@James Stevenson, Will There Be A Chance Of You Guys Putting THIS R&C On The PSVita? I Think This Game Would Make An Even BIGGER Impact Than The R&C That’s Currently On The Vita. (I Personally Enjoyed It Still)

+ LSMJGO on July 10th, 2013 at 8:38 pm said:

insomniac I’ve bought every game you’ve made this gen faithfully I’ve enjoyed parts of each game and have shown support along with many other faithful PlayStation gamers. One question why burn all your fans by making an xbox one exclusive really not one of your fans has an xbox and no PlayStation (if they did they couldn’t be a fan) this looks good and while I want to buy it I can’t support a company that essential gave a big f you to all its fans for next gen.

+ idn86i on July 10th, 2013 at 8:40 pm said:

I can’t wait for this R&C!! What’s with all the PS4 request for this game? The system is not even out yet! Even when it’s out not a lot of people will have it. So why put a fantastic series like this on a system that many might not be able to play on. I didn’t see Quark in the trailer! I hope he’ll make his odd appearance in this installment!! LOL Love him!

+ LSMJGO on July 10th, 2013 at 8:40 pm said:

damn it i’m still buying this insomniac why do you do this to me

+ Destiny89 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:42 pm said:

THANK YOU! i love Ratchet and Clank games and i got to say i am very glad to know its actually and finally following the old RnC games, i cannot wait for this game but please make sure you guys dont make this the last RnC game, i love RnC and would love to see it going to PS4 also!
Day 1 purchase ( getting 2 copies )!

+ mliien670 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:43 pm said:

A few questions for Insomniac;

1. A4O and FFA were good games. If people set their petty fanboy-ish expectations aside, these titles are fun to play with other people, something that most other R&C games cannot do.

2. Making this for the ps3 is perlexing, but you gave good reasons for it. But what I do not understand is didn’t you annouce that you’rer releasing a R&C game in 2015, to go along with the R&C movie.

3. If you’re so commited to this franchise after all that’s happened to it and all the other games you released, are you willing to reclaim Spyro The Dragon?

4. With this being an epilogue to the future series, willcharacters from those games make an appearance. The trailer showed us that Cronk is in the game, so what about Cpt. Romulus Slag, The Agorians, The Smuggler, Tawlyn Apogee, etc?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 9:55 pm said:

1. Thanks!

2. It’s always hard to plan around the movies. We had great ideas for a new Ratchet game and the right scenario to make it for Holiday 2013, so we took it.

3. We don’t own Spyro, and it’s been what, 13 years since the last one we made? Never say never, of course, but I think that ship sailed long ago.

4. You’ll see Talwyn for sure…

+ killercroc119 on July 10th, 2013 at 8:55 pm said:

As excited as I am, I wish it was for the PlayStation 4.

And i wish it was as big as Crack in Time, that was definitely my favourite along with Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal.

But knowing it’s going to be like the older stuff makes up for most of it.

+ RK128 on July 10th, 2013 at 9:00 pm said:

Man, Ratchet and Clank are back :)

I know you guys were kinda spread thin between Sunset Overdrive, FFA, and Fuse, but its wonderful to see you make a traditional Ratchet and Clank game again. Really love how you guys are changing up the core gameplay with zero-g sections and are making crazy weapons again (love the snowman gun).

I am definitely picking this up when it comes out and I look forward to a huge Ratchet game on the PS4 in the future. I have to respect your guys stance on a Vita version of this; making sure its a quality port rather than how FFA Vita turned out.

Good luck and I hope to see more Ratchet games in the future :)

+ MageScroll on July 10th, 2013 at 9:01 pm said:

A weapon I desperately want to see in a Ratchet and Clank game—–a fattening ray. Please make it happen :)

+ Benzitor on July 10th, 2013 at 9:03 pm said:

Vita anyone ??? Love rtchet and all, but the PS3 is already packed of exclusives this year, and the 3D platformer genre is perfect fit for portable system…Sly4 was the bomb on Vita…ratchet was also amazing on PSP. And seriously insomniac has the talent to make poartable shine…
Why no Vita game ?

Are big studio thinking its a shame to work on portable system ? not presigious or challenging enough ?

+ detictiveconan on July 10th, 2013 at 9:13 pm said:

A few of my thoughts on this announcement..
1: AHHHHHHH A NEW RATCHET AND CLANK GAME! I’m so exited! :D

2:Yes! it’s for PS3 so I’ll actuality be able to play it soon.

3:Boo! It’s not for PS4 to give me a good excuse to buy a the new system. :P

4: R&C A4O was surprisingly good I thought. Even in single player it really felt like a R&C game.

5: WOOOOO! New R&C GAME!! WOOOOO!! :O

+ andremal on July 10th, 2013 at 9:18 pm said:

I have yet to meet a Ratchet & Clank game I didn’t like! Since getting a PS3 in 09, R&C has become one of my favorite franchises of all time. This is fabulous news! For me personally, I’m a little worried about the release date and really hope that it is September. Guess we’ll wait and see.

But let me offer you a truly heartfelt thanks for keeping the series alive and bringing us a new game, especially one that gets back to the roots. You guys do a fabulous job with this series and I can’t wait to play yet another!

+ Permafry_42 on July 10th, 2013 at 9:18 pm said:

Day 1 purchase! I also really can’t wait for when R&C will be coming to ps4 =D

On a side note, what is the status on Ratchet and Clank Deadlocked HD?

+ lordgodalming on July 10th, 2013 at 9:22 pm said:

I may be one of the few people who enjoyed FFA–it wasn’t really an R&C game, but it was still fun as hell–but I am thrilled about this. Can’t get enough R&C. ToD was the first game I ever bought for PS3, and it is still in my top five games at the end of this gen. The inevitable PS4 game will be mind blowing.

+ ClutchFactor8 on July 10th, 2013 at 9:22 pm said:

Im excited this game looks amazing, but im just wondering why arent you guys using the old designs?

+ EpicCakes on July 10th, 2013 at 9:23 pm said:

I’m a little skeptical about this one. I hope it turns out good.

+ Elvick_ on July 10th, 2013 at 9:30 pm said:

@20: Um, no. You do realize that Insomniac and Sony both have to agree for the series to continue right? Sony owns the IP, and funds development and acts as publisher. Insomniac makes it, unless Sony contracts someone else to make another (like the PSP games and Vita port of FFA/Q-Force).

Not supporting the series just makes it seem like we don’t care. And this game would probably have been in development for at least a year, likely two if their track record is anything to go by.

+ Lefoul-123 on July 10th, 2013 at 9:31 pm said:

A great time to put a crack in time on IGC.

+ krae_man on July 10th, 2013 at 9:33 pm said:

Any chance this is going to be playable at PAX?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 9:57 pm said:

Not sure what the PAX Plans are yet. We’ll let you know if it is. That’d be awesome

+ GODSGAMER4LIFE on July 10th, 2013 at 9:35 pm said:

I am stoked for this game and could care less if its ps4 or ps3, but how about a new Jak and Daxter?????????????

+ ahrouncrinosxiii on July 10th, 2013 at 9:35 pm said:

Can’t wait!!! It’s looking fantastic :D Really hoping for a Vita exclusive R&C title though :) Loved Size Matters back in the day and it’d really help sell such an amazing handheld!

+ remanutd5 on July 10th, 2013 at 9:50 pm said:

I dont usually pre order games but i will pre order Into the Nexus, i just simply love Ratchet and Clank, I have been asking for A Crack in Time to come to ps plus for quite some time now, ACIT ranks among my top 10 best ps3 games of all time. If you guys are releasing Into the Nexus on the psvita please, please, please you guys handle the port dont let other incompetent studios do it, please.

And a Ratchet and Clank ps4 game must happen, it simply must happen. Vita is in serious need of a full fledge Ratchet and Clank game too.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 9:58 pm said:

Awesome! Thanks so much. Pre-ordering is huge for devs. It should be up for pre-order very very soon

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 10th, 2013 at 9:58 pm said:

+ Munty13 on July 10th, 2013 at 10:19 pm said:

Hi James,

Roughly how long have you been working on the game for? It looks fantastic and I’m super glad that we’re back to the future series.

Also, any updates on the movie? That first trailer was amazing!

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 1:59 pm said:

Since last year. No updates on the movie, it’s coming along

+ Xdark_dragonX on July 10th, 2013 at 10:28 pm said:

Please make this run at 60 fps like the Future Series ran at including all the previous ones!! A4O and FFA didnt feel smooth like all other Ratchet games were, so with this title being a return to the oldschool formula under Brian Allgeier, we expect this to be a fully polished 60 fps experience!!!!

Also please bring back the solid AA (anti-aliasing) from Tools of Destruction where there were hardly any jaggies!!

+ Randy16killer on July 10th, 2013 at 10:30 pm said:

Day 1 purchase for me. Big fan of Insomniac Games and the Ratchet and Clank series. Also, PS4 Ratchet and Clank game PLEASE!!!!

+ Jorgeman7931 on July 10th, 2013 at 10:49 pm said:

congrats insomniac your games are the best i enjoy the ffa twist but this is going to be great!

1. Are you going to confirm if this goes to vita or not later?
2. Is there gonna be any ratchet collection for vita?

thanks!! excellent work!

+ DirtySoap3D on July 10th, 2013 at 10:59 pm said:

Really psyched about this game, but I have to ask. Are the hoverboots coming back in this? I love those things in CIT and FFA. It’ll feel weird going back to not having them.

+ DarkMegamanSX900 on July 10th, 2013 at 11:10 pm said:

Hey Mr Stevenson I have three questions to ask you.

1)Do you think you guys and Sony,will make new Ratchet and Clank avatars.Seeing how this is going to be a new game.I have all the All 4 One avatars from when they first came out.

2)Will this game take us deeper into the storyline more?.Will we find out more about the Lombaxes?

3)Will this support trophys?.You know I love colleting trophys,specially for Ratchet and Clank games.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

1. It’s possible, up to them.

2. There is definitely a story that ties to Ratchet’s personal story. I can’t say too much yet.

3. Of course. All PS3 games are required to have trophies these days.

+ yang3633 on July 10th, 2013 at 11:23 pm said:

Thanks James for answering all of our questions. I have a few of my own if you don’t mind.

1. Is Ratchet and Clank’s character design going to look more like the original Future series designs, which are my favorite designs of the characters to date, or will they look more like they do in the recent games like A4O or FFA? Or is it sort of a mesh between the two designs? (I just don’t want to feel like I’m playing in Big Head Mode, lol)

2. As for hours of play, I’ll simply ask this: How many ‘Quest For Booty’s could you fit into ‘Nexus’? You can just guess if you want.

3. How long has the team been working on this game and/or thinking and planning it? In other words, how long have you guys been keeping this a secret? ;-)

4. I know it’s an epilogue to the Future series, but does it take place before A4O and FFA or after?

Thanks a bunch. From a lifelong Insomniac Games Fan. (Go Original Spyro! Let’s Bring him Back! lol)

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

1. The design in A41/FFA is the continued extension of the design (though A41 had some specific changes for readability on screen).

2. I don’t want to guess. It’s shorter than ACIT, and much larger than Q4B.

3. We’ve been thinking and working on this for over a year.

4. It takes place after A4O, the comics, and FFA.

+ JDMwarrior on July 10th, 2013 at 11:30 pm said:

Hey James, I read your previous comment saying “you’ll see Talwyn for sure”. That really got me excited when you said that because its awesome to see past characters returning for a final stand! Im looking forward to the game and all it’s new creative things to discover! You’ve got yourself a sale my friend ;)

+ SonicusZ on July 10th, 2013 at 11:50 pm said:

Really glad to see this! I was worried we wouldn’t be seeing a new traditional Ratchet and clank for a while since Sunset Overdrive was announced for the xbox one. I’m assuming this has been in the works for a while though.

I hope I can level up and upgrade my weapons like crazy again!

Well I can’t wait to play this and I hope you guys bring this series to the PS4 soon too!

+ Acquire16 on July 11th, 2013 at 12:00 am said:

This is great. I’ve played every Ratchet and Clank game and was starting to think it was dead with All4One and that weird Full Frontal Assault. Like that it’s going back to it’s roots. We need more platformer games in general, which is why I’m excited for Knack on the PS4.

+ BlindMango on July 11th, 2013 at 12:05 am said:

Woah, another exciting PS3 that I’ll have to pick up this year and play along with all my PS4 games! The end of this year will bankrupt me and also probably make me flunk all of my classes, and thanks for adding another game to increase those odds! haha, just kidding, I’ll definitely focus on school too (although my wallet will be empty). It is awesome the price point that this will be at, THANK YOU for doing what other developers should do and put your game a price point that every game should be priced at.

It sucks this isn’t also releasing on PS4 but it’s different architecture and a lot of work to do so, so I understand that. I’m also excited to see that this is a new, full-length story driven Ratchet game just like A Crack in Time and Tools of Destruction! Even though I didn’t care much for All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault because the major focus of those games weren’t my style, I respected your reasoning for wanting to try something new, but man am I still happy to see this! Thanks Insomniac! =D

+ NOTTULYS on July 11th, 2013 at 12:15 am said:

Played this series for years and own all of these games…keep them coming

and Please announce a Ratchet and Clank Online Multiplayer game soon.(Theres enough characters)

+ GLO-GEN on July 11th, 2013 at 12:21 am said:

I guess my wallet will be all empty this year, but this isn’t a problem for one of my fav. franchises!
Thank you Insomniac!
(Sorry for my english, i’m italian.)

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 2:05 pm said:

Your english is great! Thanks for the kind words

+ degaeil on July 11th, 2013 at 12:24 am said:

“We have a ton of Ratchet fans on PS3 who loved the Future saga, it seemed right to bring the Epilogue to them on that platform! :-)”

Couldn’t agree more. While I hope to see R&C on PS4, the Future Epilogue belongs with the rest of the Future series.

Nice to see R&C return in a single-player game, can’t wait.

+ auron1014 on July 11th, 2013 at 12:33 am said:

Sheesh I can’t believe how rude some people can be when they’re talking to game developers. These people put a lot of time into making these things and have feelings, y’know. You might not like certain games, but that’s no excuse to be a jerk.

Anyway, I’m incredibly excited for this! I loved a Crack in Time and the story in that one. I liked Full Frontal Assault too! It was the classic R&C gameplay with the tower defense twist. But for sure I’m excited to see Nexus going back to the series’ roots.

Fingers crossed for an eventual PS4 R&C!

+ cowbanana on July 11th, 2013 at 12:39 am said:

PS3?! No Vita version… stay classy SCEA! Can you care less about the Vita?

FFA Vita was hot garbage. Is hot garbage all you have?

+ Welmosca on July 11th, 2013 at 12:39 am said:

YAY thanks Sony for keeping supporting the PS3…(where you shouldn’t have never stepped off)…cant wait…this is a must buy already…I love me some Ratchet as a fan of the series I’m really eager to play this one…those are some cool gameplay mechanics hu….plus SP only + Retail version as well “are you guys reading ma mind?” lol.Damn you have ma money already.

PS:Why did I already knew that there would be whiners about a PS4 version before click in the post…oh yes!!!..

+ Ifti1983 on July 11th, 2013 at 12:41 am said:

hi
im not so good at english but is t co-operative because i want play it wth my friend

+ Welmosca on July 11th, 2013 at 12:42 am said:

Forgot to say …plus longer SP than Q4B and FFA….aight thats really like reading ma mind.Both games left me wishing more when I finished them.

+ Go_Buddie_Go on July 11th, 2013 at 12:42 am said:

So many feels right now, I honestly thought Insomniac Games were going to ditch Ratchet & Clank.

First off, this looks to have all the elements that made the originals, and A Crack in Time so great. (Missed out on Tools of Destruction)

Now I don’t hate All 4 One or Full Frontal Assault. As it’s common for a developer to venture out and try new ideas, but I’m just so happy. Ratchet and Clank is back!

And although I can understand disappointment in no PS4 version. I’m actually quite happy this is a PS3 version, it just proves that PS3 still very much has life left in it, and isn’t going anywhere. I’ll definitely be booting up my PS3 to play Into the Nexus later this year.

Thanks, Insomniac Games!

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 11th, 2013 at 2:06 pm said:

you really should grab a copy of TOD while you wait for Into the Nexus. :-)

+ yaylak_aksaray on July 11th, 2013 at 12:52 am said:

oh man i hope we ll get this time a full 720p game. dont get me wrong your older games looked awesome, but it was sooo blurry …

+ Redikol on July 11th, 2013 at 1:10 am said:

I’m very proud of you guys at Insomniac for finally returning back to form with this game. I have been very disappointed in you guys with everything after Resistance 3. I must say though, ever since I seen this news today at IGN, I have been all smiles. I am really stoked for this and will buy it on Day 1!

Keep it up Insomniac, don’t stop now. The PS4 is around the corner and I can only imagine what great things you guys could bring to the table with the awesome possibilities it brings.

+ AizawaYuuichi on July 11th, 2013 at 1:15 am said:

This is a very nice surprise. I personally wasn’t interested in A4O due to the sudden change from SP to co-op (as at that point I’d only played ToD and ACiT), and then FFA was basically TD, which I abhor… so I skipped that one, too. So it’s awesome to see that the Future series is getting one last hurrah on PS3 before it hopefully makes the jump to next-gen in the future. And while I found FUSE to be rather disappointing and passed on buying it, and your new IP is exclusive to the competitor’s console, I won’t let those facts sway me from supporting your continuation of this amazing franchise. So, thank you for bringing back that classic R&C formula on the PS3 one last time. Looking forward to getting this on disc and placing it next to the HD Collection, ToD and ACit. :)

+ J3ffr3y_Big-Diq on July 11th, 2013 at 1:23 am said:

I was really hoping Insomniac Games would go back to the old character designs. The character designs before All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault/Q-Force were awesome, however, everything (mainly the character designs) went downhill quite fast after A Crack In Time. I am going to buy this, almost regrettably, but please consider going back to the old character designs, Insomniac. And another Spyro game wouldn’t hurt. Thanks for reading. :3