PS4 - Transistor

Bid for Greatness Opens, Own a Piece of PlayStation History

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Jul 16, 2013 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Bid for Greatness - PlayStation

Update: Before we grant rewards through our Bid for Greatness program, we authenticate the eligibility and Trophy count of all potential winning bidders, and if we believe that any potential winner did not comply with the terms and conditions of the program or that the potential winner’s trophies were not properly earned, we will disqualify that individual and award the item to the next highest, eligible bidder.

You know that Greatness Awaits, but did you know that you can bid on it? Today sees the launch of BidForGreatness.com, a one-of-a-kind auction house showcasing ultra-rare PlayStation memorabilia seen in PlayStation’s Greatness Awaits brand film during E3. If you win a bid, you’ll be the owner of an exclusive, real-life piece of PlayStation history.

Here’s how it works: You’ll log into BidForGreatness.com using your PSN ID. The site will tally all of your hard-earned Gold Trophies, and you’ll use them to bid on 15 unique items (don’t worry, you’ll keep the actual Trophies associated with your PSN ID). You’ll bid on the items you want using Gold Trophies and skip the ones you don’t. Each day will see a new item go up for bid for just 24 hours, so be sure to check back often!

Of course, you’ll want to think strategically. Spend all your Gold Trophies in one shot to try and score your dream item, or split your proceeds and go for several? The choice is yours. And the best part is, if you’re short on Gold Trophies you can earn some on your PS3 and PS Vita then come back to bid again.

Bid For Greatness runs until July 30th, and a new item will open (and close!) each day at 1:00pm Pacific Time. See below for a full list of all the epic loot. What are you going for?

Day Winner Item Game
Day 1 (7/16) robg691 Black Hand Outfit Killzone: Shadow Fall
Day 2 (7/17) EDICIUS17 Infected “Clicker” Costume The Last of Us
Day 3 (7/18) ARCHCHIMAIRA End Scene Concept Art PlayStation
Day 4 (7/19) MIKEKEESE Dragonborn Dagger The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Day 5 (7/22) ROUGHDAWG4 Witch Doctor Mojo Diablo III
Day 6 (7/23) SHARKSFAN24 Crane Scene Concept Art PlayStation
Day 7 (7/24) ROUGHDAWG4 Witch Doctor Cursed Skull Diablo III
Day 8 (7/25) M-EASY Delsin Rowe’s Outfit inFAMOUS: Second Son
Day 9 (7/26) CAUCHY-SCHWARZ Dragonborn Shield The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Day 10 (7/29) PRINCE_AZRAK Captain Kenway’s Cutlass Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
Day 11 (7/30) BALLIN404 Dragonborn Sword The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Day 12 (7/31) DERDEUTSCHER Dragonborn Stalhrim Mace The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Day 13 (8/1) SHOE478 Witch Doctor Ceremonial Garb Diablo III
Day 14 (8/2) HAKOOM Helghast Sniper Outfit Killzone: Shadow Fall
Day 15 (8/5) ANDREW52286 Captain Kenway’s Outfit Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag

334 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 7

+ TriCykle on July 16th, 2013 at 2:50 pm said:

Can’t log in from Canada.

Seems that Day 1 is a loss for anyone in Canada. Hopefully Sony can rectify this before we lose too many bidding days/hours!

The item I want to bid on is a few days away, Sony please respond to these inquiries and fix this please =)

+ Kchow23 on July 16th, 2013 at 2:50 pm said:

Errors aside, this is a great idea and I hope that you guys do this more often. Give some people who aren’t trophy lvl 40 a chance :)

+ Bridgekd on July 16th, 2013 at 2:53 pm said:

Hi! I’m from Canada and i get this message when i try to participate We are sorry but, you are not eligible to participate based on your location. Bidding is only available to users in North American territories (USA, Canada, Mexico… My canadian money is good when i buy things from Sony so why can i participate then? I’m a very loyal fan who’s getting sad right now…

+ Squiggle55 on July 16th, 2013 at 2:53 pm said:

Aw lame. Very bad idea giving back the trophies of the losing bidders. Very poorly thought out.

+ RedGiant17 on July 16th, 2013 at 2:54 pm said:

Since the first auction is already over the 550 mark in bids I’m guessing that the minimum that any of these items will go for is now 750 trophies. There are 15 items up for auction and just glancing at leader board on PSN profiles there are over 50 US residents with at least 700 trophies. There are several with over 1,100 and three with over 2,000 and the leader has over 2,800.

I guess I’ll be keeping my 103…

+ stone25 on July 16th, 2013 at 2:55 pm said:

this is an awesome idea that is poorly executed.
You will reward those same type of people that affected millions of your true die hard fans…hackers.
Trophy Hacking is rampant and I bet it will be those trophy hackers that win.
Also, being a mature gamer, I probably spend more money and less time actually being able to game to attain high levels. Case in point, I have bought 3 PS3s, two PSPs, and a Vita, hundreds of dollars on accessories, and own about 300 games. I also have to work full time and raise a family, so even though I love gaming and fully support this company with thousands of my hard earned money, I CANNOT PLAY GAMES 10 hours a day.
Great contest, but completely unfair.
A better option would be to do this randomly, or raffle style. I love Sony and everything they do, but this contest is not going to reward true Playstation fans….its going to reward hackers and cheaters who will then profit on EBay when one of your true fans buys what the cheater won.

+ CaptReynolds on July 16th, 2013 at 2:55 pm said:

Very disappointing that it is US only… 😔

+ sefjwm on July 16th, 2013 at 2:58 pm said:

@104 Warfigher was banned from the PSN for hacking his trophies. I doubt he’ll be eligible.

+ terminode on July 16th, 2013 at 2:58 pm said:

This is a really clever promotion. It would be amazing if this became a permanent staple of the PSN community and included smaller, less bombastic items to give us non-hardcore trophy hunters a chance at winning something and giving everyone just one more reason to keep buying Playstation games.

+ Squiggle55 on July 16th, 2013 at 3:00 pm said:

“Of course, you’ll want to think strategically. Spend all your Gold Trophies in one shot to try and score your dream item, or split your proceeds and go for several?”

According to the terms, this is not the case. Losers will get back all their trophies to bid on the next item. Seriously? No penalty for bidding all of your trophies every day? Better get out your thinking caps, strategy fans.

+ Admiralvic on July 16th, 2013 at 3:02 pm said:

@ 90

I bid 400, got outbid and got 400 trophies back. They don’t need to say it, cause it happened to me.

@ 96

HI MIKE!!!

+ RedGiant17 on July 16th, 2013 at 3:05 pm said:

@107 I think my point still stands. There are still way more people with 700+ trophies to keep this out of the reach of your average player.

+ webtalon on July 16th, 2013 at 3:09 pm said:

Great promo, really a shame there couldn’t be a sweepstakes like option, those of us without a few hundred gold trophies will have no chance, it would be fun if each of our trophies was an entry and the items were given away raffle style. Us poor gamers with kids don’t have the time to rack up a few hundred gold trophies… ;-) But still, a very cool promotion.

+ Mixer23 on July 16th, 2013 at 3:11 pm said:

Awesome idea, but I agree, a bit poorly executed. I consider myself about as hardcore as they come, and am a pretty staunch supporter of Sony themselves. I’ve made multiple PS3/PSP purchases, as well as being a day 1 Vita owner and own hundreds of games across all platforms. I probably game more than most, and am approaching 5k trophies. All that being said I only have 155 golds which means I shouldn’t have even bothered with opening the website. They should have made it incremental bids( i.e. you bid 5 golds, you’re now in front). I realize that would cause a sniping war, but honestly, at least that would have given the vast majority of us an actual chance. *sigh*

At any rate, good luck @Admiralvic!

+ Erebus-of-Dark on July 16th, 2013 at 3:15 pm said:

Just so people know, this is for US only and not NA as you may see in an error message.

Also, as feedback, this doesn’t really end up being much of auction. According to the terms, if you bid all your Gold trophies on an item one day, if you don’t win the auction, you can bid those trophies again. Since the items are not sold concurrently, this basically means you should always bid your max trophies each day until you win. So this is less of an auction than an opportunity for the highest trophy earners to win something just by participating.

+ XCrownedClownX on July 16th, 2013 at 3:16 pm said:

I try to log in to the site and get this message,

“We are sorry but, you are not eligible to participate based on your location. Bidding is only available to users in North American territories (USA, Canada, Mexico).”

I am located in Canada! My PSN account is located in Canada! Why can’t I bid :(

+ ChelsieBrittany on July 16th, 2013 at 3:16 pm said:

I DON’T GAME FOR TROPHIES..GOLD ONES IN THE LEAST!….I GAME FOR FUN!…. TROPHIES BLEHHHH!!!!

+ lisatsunami on July 16th, 2013 at 3:17 pm said:

Until I read these comments, I didn’t know there was such a thing as hacking to create trophies. How the heck do they do that so that it actually syncs to the server?

I hope Sony thought about that aspect when they designed this and found ways to circumvent any of those limp phonies. The rules state the winner has to verify their identity and address so I’m guessing that 90% of the cheaters use fake names and addresses anyway. As for game sharers, yes, those cheaters will probably be able to get in, but hopefully they’ll end up beating each other into oblivion trying to keep the reward.

I think SCEA will rethink their methodologies and retool should they ever offer another contest like this.

+ ChelsieBrittany on July 16th, 2013 at 3:18 pm said:

SADLY WHAT THIS IS …IS ELITIST CLASS CRAPOLA!

+ WrekGar on July 16th, 2013 at 3:20 pm said:

Damn my year of going in hard on the trophy hunt does not look like it yielded me enough trophies to bid on anything.. **sad face**

+ GhostX1984 on July 16th, 2013 at 3:21 pm said:

This is BRILLIANT!

Can we please continue this bidding system well into the future??

+ dinkin-flicka on July 16th, 2013 at 3:24 pm said:

I don’t think they should take the trophies away indefinitely if one gets outbid but perhaps implement a number of auctions completed or an amount of time lapsed before that person can bid again.

+ GhostX1984 on July 16th, 2013 at 3:26 pm said:

If they keep track of who spends however many trophies and keep the auction alive with future events, this could be a really cool incentive for earning trophies and it would include a lot more people because you wouldn’t just have the people in the top 300 only being able to win bids. I really hope this isn’t just a 1 time thing because it’s a really cool idea.

+ ein_nineteenth on July 16th, 2013 at 3:29 pm said:

Intensely lame.

Why not bring back the old User Rewards Program that was scrapped?

+ Wylde_Pwner on July 16th, 2013 at 3:35 pm said:

Ok so the site won’t let me sign in or bid because it says it’s only available in North America and lists US, Canada, and Mexico as the eligible countries. Problem is I’m Canadian, in Canada, and my account is Canadian.

+ NiEwiN on July 16th, 2013 at 3:36 pm said:

Just like the rest of the Canadians here, can’t log in =(

+ anned23 on July 16th, 2013 at 3:36 pm said:

I’m also getting the message that I’m not eligible for bidding but I live in Canada.
I hope they will fix it before tom cause I want to bid for the infected costume.

+ ArchAngelMai on July 16th, 2013 at 3:37 pm said:

Awesome idea, bit my 63 seems to be useless when people are blowing 300 on the first item which seems stupid to me. With people like Duck 360 that has 2131 more Gold Trophies for bidding, its kind of annoying that people with no lives benefit from this.

+ lisatsunami on July 16th, 2013 at 3:41 pm said:

Well, to put a positive spin on all this, at least nobody is whining/threatening about “where is the store update, Grace?!!!” Lol.

+ SLY12 on July 16th, 2013 at 3:45 pm said:

Here, let’s try this again.

CANADIAN PLAYSTATION GAMERS:

See post 84. It is ONLY U.S. GAMERS.

There is nothing for Sony to fix. I don’t like to be mean, but this is a perfect example of what’s wrong with society.

PEOPLE DON’T READ.

+ OverlordLaharl on July 16th, 2013 at 3:46 pm said:

Oh great seem like nobody in Canada can participate… cause you know, Canada it not part of NA only US is -_- Was really happy to finally have some use for trophy, got 485 gold trophy so was really hype to bid on something, but no got c*** block by Sony on this one. Really hope they fix it for Canada or change their crap for this been for all NA really been only US,

+ SLY12 on July 16th, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

I’m giving up. If you people want to waste your time and try to get into the site/contest and you’re from Canada, then go ahead. I’ve made two posts now saying to read the terms of service and I’ve copied and pasted the appropriate paragraph for even easier use.

Don’t say I didn’t tell you so.

+ QuantumMercury on July 16th, 2013 at 3:50 pm said:

Getting this message when I tried to log in now:
We are sorry but, you are not eligible to participate based on your location. Bidding is only available to users in the United States of America.

Looks like it is USA only. Not a big deal since only like the top 3 Canadians had a snowball’s chance in hell to win anyways.

+ earth_inheritor on July 16th, 2013 at 3:50 pm said:

Great idea…but extremely disappointing that its only for the USA. I love you Sony but wheres the Canada love…feeling a little left out here. I’m sure the rest of the planet does too.

+ RoII_chan on July 16th, 2013 at 3:51 pm said:

Nice promo, too bad just those who have 50+ plats can get a real chance to win anything. =/

+ LordMaim on July 16th, 2013 at 3:51 pm said:

Hey SLY12, Apparently you don’t read either. They are giving us two different, contradictory message. When attempting to log in with a Canadian PSN account, it says the following.

People can read, but the message is inconsistent. It isn’t as simple as you choose to believe.

+ LordMaim on July 16th, 2013 at 3:54 pm said:

Never mind. They’ve fixed it. Now you can be smug Sly.

+ Hoovalation on July 16th, 2013 at 3:56 pm said:

Another reason why I wish I had tried to get more trophies than achievements… :\

+ lisatsunami on July 16th, 2013 at 3:56 pm said:

@132, Sly12, lol! Might as well give up. You should know by now that the only people who read don’t need help and the people who need help don’t read, hence always needing help I learned that by reading this blog every day for years.

People need to game less, read more. But then they wouldn’t qualify for this contest anyway, lol.

+ OverlordLaharl on July 16th, 2013 at 3:58 pm said:

@SLY12 It’s just like others have said, at first it was for NA but now they changed it to US only. It’s just suck, instead of just allowing us to participate they AGAIN decide to block us out. Really is it that hard to accept ALL of NA in Sony contest? Sony is to cheap to pay shipping charge? Cmon most people in canada would pay them just to participate lol

+ smoothboarder540 on July 16th, 2013 at 3:59 pm said:

This is a good idea, but not implemented very well. There are only fifteen items. You have to be one of those people that plays video games all day, every day to even have a shot. Or you have to have a bunch of trophies that you hacked.

+ SLY12 on July 16th, 2013 at 4:01 pm said:

@ 139: An earlier comment by another poster said all along it said North America, but if you read the terms of service, its says:
2. PARTICIPATION ELIGIBILITY

The Bid for Greatness program is an auction based rewards program (“Program”) through which PlayStation gamers can redeem trophies, earned during gameplay, to bid for exclusive items and rewards available only on this Site (“Rewards”). The Program is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. Individuals must be 18 years of age or older participate in the Program. Employees of SCEA, its affiliates and related parties, along with members of their household, are not eligible to participate in the Program. The use of automated services, scripts, or other machines is strictly prohibited and will result in the termination of that account holder’s access to the Site.

I’m out. Peace.

+ assassin10john on July 16th, 2013 at 4:02 pm said:

if only i could use my bronze trophies

+ Cyberfunkr on July 16th, 2013 at 4:03 pm said:

From the Tems:
“Gold trophies that are being used to bid on a certain Reward will be frozen from the time that the auction for that Reward has commenced until the conclusion of the bidding period for that Reward. After an auction has concluded, the number of gold trophies of the winning bidder that were bid on the Reward will be subtracted from that bidder’s bid-eligible trophy count, and may not be used again for bidding on any future auction. The gold trophies of bidders who did not win the auction will be released back into their bid-eligible trophy count for use in future auctions.”

So there is no penalty for just going all-in with your trophies.. except that you may win something and not use them for the rest of the auction.

So us normal folk with a mere 30 trophies just need to walk away and hope next time Sony:
- makes it a raffle
- makes all items up for bid at the same time so bids must be spread out

+ lisatsunami on July 16th, 2013 at 4:27 pm said:

I guess I’m one of the few who doesn’t have a prayer, but is not exhibiting sour grapes? This one-time contest is to reward excellence. I know we don’t do that much anymore in America, but once upon a time we believed in winners and losers and losers then strove harder. This was before they gave awards to people for “just participating.”

Almost everyone who ever sent me a friend request was several levels higher than me, which made me mad and made me try to be a better gamer and I’m getting there, although still too paltry for this contest. But I admire the gamers with high trophy levels and 100 or more plats, if they got them the old-fashioned way.

+ viceforce on July 16th, 2013 at 4:29 pm said:

This is a wonderful idea for the community but could have been set up a lot better. Here’s an idea. instead of bidding it should be done with a weekly contest of trophies, either by trophy count or trophy points. Every week a item will up for grabs and it’s up to the players to earn as many trophies as he/she can. When one week elapse, the contest will be over and the trophy count/points get reset to zero thus starting a new contest with the same procedure. That way everyone will have a fair chance at winning these prizes no matter what stats they are.

Here’s the trophy point legend
Bronze 1 Point
Silver 3 Points
Gold 5 Points
Platinum 10 Points

+ JammieDodgerz on July 16th, 2013 at 4:38 pm said:

I have more trophies than you lot and it’s just U.S ONLY???

LAME!

+ Admiralvic on July 16th, 2013 at 4:39 pm said:

@ 144

Trophy count =/= skill. Like if you stick to movie games, sports games, children’s games, and buy them in bulk, then you can be a high trophy level. In fact play Terminator Salvation is worth more in this contest (since there are like 11 golds), than playing say Fat Princess (0 golds) or CoD Black Ops 1 (71 trophies, but only 1 gold). Winning a prize is just a testate to how much time you have to game, which is perfectly alright, though don’t mistake this for a difference in skill.

+ trythisagain on July 16th, 2013 at 4:46 pm said:

Canadian participation in this might partially be limited because of Canadian gaming laws. Just like the Millennium ACT in the US prevents Canadians from using many of the entertainment apps on the PS3.(DRM) sad state of affairs but Americans like control of their stuff just like we Canadians like control of our stuff.

+ lisatsunami on July 16th, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

@148, although that is true in theory, is it really true in practice? How many people who play hundreds of games to get thousands of trophies are going to just play stupid little games? At the lower levels, sure. But people who have 100 + plats? I don’t think so.

But thanks for the tip on Terminator Salvation ;-)

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 7