PS4 - Destiny

PlayStation Plus: Metal Slug XX Brings 2D Carnage to Instant Game Collection

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Jul 22, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

This week, we’re building the Instant Game Collection with the 2D action of Metal Slug: XX! You can download this arcade classic free as a PS Plus member starting with tomorrow’s PlayStation Store update.

This is also the first week release of PlayStation Store’s PLAY, as the first of the 4 diverse games hitting this week with Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark. Today is the last day you can preorder the title with a 20% PS Plus discount, however, you’ll still be able to preorder the other 3 titles (Cloudberry Kingdom, Ibb & Obb, and Duck Tales Remastered) up to their weekly release dates. Find out more about PLAY along with the titles, special reward bonuses, and more in the announcement post on PlayStation.Blog. Or just watch the cool video below!

PlayStation Plus - 1-year MembershipPlayStation Plus - 3-month Membership

Metal Slug XX (PSP, PS Vita Compatible)

PSN Price: $19.99, Free for PS Plus members

Metal Slug XX
After General Morden is defeated and captured, a mysterious army arrives from the future to save him. They reveal themselves to be Morden’s Army from the future, and their goal is to provide their future leader with special advanced weaponry to take on his enemies in the present. Classic characters Marco, Tarma, Fio, Eri, Ralf, and Clark return once again to take on General Morden and his new and improved Rebel Army.
Thomas Was Alone: Benjamin’s Flight (Cross-Buy)

30% Discount for PS Plus members (PSN Price: $2.49; PS Plus Price: $1.74)

Thomas Was Alone
In this Thomas Was Alone level pack, discover the tale of young Benjamin, who goes in search of the Fountain of Wisdom aided by his father’s incredible invention. Benjamin meets a new companion and a familiar face in this story, which takes place in the events leading up to Thomas’s emergence.

Last Chance (Leaving on 7/30)

Instant Game Collection
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward

Discounts
Draw Slasher
Carnival Island
Sorcery
Datura
Cloudberry Kingdom Preorder

You’ll find all the content detailed above with their Plus benefits active when the PlayStation Store updates tomorrow. We’ll be back next week with more details on the game arriving to the Instant Game Collection as well as any other benefits we can share.

If you’ve got feedback or thoughts on today’s Plus update, leave them below, or, if you’re looking to engage with more of the PS community, make sure you head over to the PlayStation Community to discuss this week’s news, find other topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 7-23-2013

PAGE 1 2 3 6

+ Zionine on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

I’ll be playing it. I quite enjoy Metal Slug games..

I thought that was a discount to Thomas Was Alone… not the add-on.. xD -sadness-

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

We had done the launch week discount for Plus members when Thomas Was Alone first launched, but if you haven’t picked it up, it’s well worth the jump!

+ XenonSovereign on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

Will we ever see PS2 classics discounted or free for PS Plus in the near future?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:24 am said:

It’s always possible

+ Ghostwize on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

Yikes. Surely there are some discounts coming. This has to be the worst week I’ve ever seen for psplus lol. Holding out on Okami HD because I know it will be free or discounted in the near future. :/

+ Jesszman on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:07 am said:

Thomas DLC is Cross-Buy.

+ Cortez583 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

Mainly a Vita update. Thomas was Alone is a good game so I might consider the DLC. Was hoping for more discounts.. I’ve had the same amount of money in my PSN account for a while now. We actually need more previews on themes in PSN store, because I don’t want to buy a theme I don’t know about lol.

+ ae11 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Is there any chance there will be more DLC on sale in the future? Lately it has just been games. I’d love to pick up some older DLC for a lot of the games I have.

+ D-Squad3 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Meh

+ aelurio1980 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:12 am said:

Best game of the month. \o/

+ Cortez583 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:12 am said:

I’d actually appreciate some Borderlands 2 DLC on sale as well. Not sure why XBL got that alone…

+ ratchetdude231 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

no ps3 games this week kinda dissapointing anyway I was thinking about buying another year of ps plus does ps plus stake I just bought a year of ps plus but if I buy another year do I get 2 years of ps plus

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

yep, it definitely does stack to your existing time.

+ US_ARMY on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:14 am said:

@Morgan, There is an error: You list it as “Metal Gear” in the opening paragraph instead of Metal Slug

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

whoops! I think Justin on the blog might have already fixed that. Too many games with Metal in the front. Ok, two games isn’t a lot, but still!

+ MyrequeArk on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:15 am said:

Ugh, this is a pretty bad update, gotta catch up on Datura and some other games from the summer sale so it’s all good.

Morgan, any word on a rotation on Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush and Wipeout2048 next month?

+ Cortez583 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:16 am said:

@ratchetdude231 PSN Plus stacks. No worries.

+ lpinto79 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:16 am said:

“This week, we’re building the Instant Game Collection with the 2D action of Metal Gear: XX!”

METAL.. GEAR?!

:p

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

lol

+ remanutd5 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:16 am said:

ModNation Racers Road Trip, Unit 13, Resistance Burning Skies, Hot shot Golf, Escape Plan, Little Deviants, Rayman, Little Big Planet, Sonic&All Stars Racing Transformed and many more psvita games, why are we getting psp games?

when are Dead Nation, God of War 1,2, Fat Princess, Flower coming to the vita?

+ EvyatarAtarEvyat on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:19 am said:

Morgan i really love ps plus but can you please stop with the psp games.
you can at least not give them every month.

+ Fardeenah on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:20 am said:

metal slug is a nice game. i was hoping that someday we get a retail vita title. btw when wil new ps plus new games be announced for next month? hopefully next week

+ gus_xl on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:22 am said:

Man… I wish I was good at Metal Slug.. I’m just so bad at it though..

+ firebert42 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:24 am said:

Who doesn’t have Metal Gear on the brain? But seriously, Snake Eater for Vita would be a great IGC offering. Let’s fight some Volgin.

+ SiriusCJS on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:24 am said:

I was feeling good about my NA account until this comparison of EU to NA since the IGC started popped up:

Our highest rated PS3 game (Metacritic score of 90 & above) in the last year has been PACMAN. EU had 6 titles (one being a double) above 90. While we were comping on pellets EU way playing Red Dead Redemption, Arkham City, God of War, Okami HD, Ico/Shadow HD, & Mass Effect 3. We did beat them in one category though: we had twice the amount of games that were rated at 80 or below. 6 of which weren’t even rated (Fuseball, anyone?).

I hope to hell this changes. I’m locked in through July 2014, so there’d not a ton I can do. A threat to not resubscribe would be stupid. I just really really hope this changes.

+ Thirty3Three on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

Oh god, this is just terrible. Rofl.

Why can’t we have nice things like EU? They get VITA games instead of PSP games. >.>

+ snakeeyes211 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

Worst week ever
no good deals
a PSP game and 1 DLC discount
I hope this doesn’t become the norm and our deals start slacking again :-(

+ jose213jose on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

You guys made mistake you put Metal Gear: XX you meant Metal Slug XX. Just notice it sec ago when i said wait their is no Metal Gear XX.

+ snakeeyes211 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

@ Morgan when are you going to be able to start talking about PSN on the PS4 ?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

Just stay tuned to the PS Blog; we’ll be sharing details as they are ready.

+ Dragonslayer_023 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:31 am said:

The Thomas DLC is actually $3.49 right now. I wasn’t really up for it at that price but for $1.74 sure why not?

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:34 am said:

Damn I was hoping for Dokuro this week. Here’s my IGC wishlist:

God of War (all games in the series; digital versions of GOW3 & Ascension)
Grand Theft Auto (all games in the series)
Guacamelee
Hitman Absolution
Hotline Miami
Machinarium (Vita)
Max Payne 3
Metal Gear Rising
Metal Gear Solid HD (PS3), digital version of MGS4
Red Dead Redemption
Red Faction Guerrilla & Armageddon
Uncharted 1 & 2
Velocity Ultra

Also, could you add Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops to the Vita store? It’s available in all regions except North America, and it’s also the only MGS game I haven’t played!

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:35 am said:

this year PS+ has been so good to me, just started XCOM and it is a pretty fun game. Metal Slug is always a classic.

Glad PS+ will carry to the PS4 also, honestly this is the best membership i have, is great for once to get MORE than what is paid for!!!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:31 am said:

*high five*

+ duke301 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:40 am said:

I have the Metal Slug Anthology, but I have never even played Metal Slug XX, so that is pretty good. Regarding Thomas was Alone, I have played it on the PC, and was fairly unimpressed, so I’ll pass on that one.
This seems to be a bad week for new releases as well as Plus. To the PlayStation Team: We don’t like bad and/or slow weeks. Give me something on which to spend my money!!

+ tylerh1701 on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:48 am said:

This is probably the least excited I’ve ever been for a PS+ game. I’m not a big fan of getting PSP games as part of the instant game collection (Europe never gets them, so why do we?) On top of that, if you’re going force PSP games onto us, can they at least be the absolute pinnacle of what PSP had to offer? Metal Slug is nowhere near the best that the PSP had, and the XX version wasn’t particularly good anyway.

I’d much rather have something like Bently’s Hackpack, Nun Attack, Sunflower, Draw Slasher, or any of the other cheapo Vita games that are currently on the market.

Just my 2 cents, thanks.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:43 am said:

Thanks for the feedback! Some weeks, a certain game might not be your cup of tea, but for others, it might be exactly what they’re looking for, or deliver an experience that is good for them, their family, etc. The good news is that you’ve got a great PS Vita game coming next week (Dokoro), and there will be countless more PS Vita games coming through the year to keep your igc going.

+ BrianMcGuinness on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:49 am said:

You guys know you can just buy games at a store or online right? Just because a game you’re whining about isn’t free this month doesn’t mean you can never play it.

+ UnfriendlyReaper on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:50 am said:

This is horrible. The last two weeks have just been awful as far as what has been offered. Although, I’m looking forward to Duck Tales, can we please get something decent to tie us over til then?

+ castonph on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:54 am said:

Cool, thanks for the VIta game! I am looking forward to Dokuro though. That’s if I finish Zero Escape any time soon, I’m up to 40 hours or so and not quite done yet!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:47 am said:

Nice. Just started to play Zero Escape this past weekend, it’s been pretty interesting to play. But yeah , Dokoro is coming next week and should be a blast to play if you haven’t had a chance to do so. Great visuals, charming story, and fun gameplay that works super well on Vita.

+ ShadowOfEden on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:55 am said:

This really is horrible! It’s summer, I spend most of my time out and yet you release all those free games that I’ll never have time to play! I still have The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite still wrapped. :-/

+ Stranger_Eddie on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:00 am said:

Number of PS VITA games for PLUS members = 0 (ZERO)…. Another PSP Game!

PS VITA PRICE: Thomas Was Alone … 9.90 + 1.74 (DLC) = $ 11.64 (Total)

PC version: Near $ 3 Bucks…..

THANK YOU!

Another disaster week for your VITA owners! THANK YOU!

+ k0wb0y-b33b0p on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:01 am said:

So Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward ( which is a great game ) leaves the IGC to be replaced with Metal Slug XX for the PSP? Who’s the genius that made this happen so I can direct my hate mail to him/her. Seriously can we have actual Vita games replacing Vita games in the IGC. If I wanted to play PSP games without trophy support I would go to my closet, find my PSP that I tucked away once I bought my Vita, dust it and play old ass games that I already played before.

+ Ryumoau on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

God this is a lame plus update. Not only is the free game a boring old psp title, but there aren’t even any good plus discounts except one game.

Man i hope August is an improvement. It would be nice to be given Graces F for August considering it would be great marketing for Xilia and you would finally be giving us an rpg for once. But that makes too much sense, so i expect another generic shooter or fighting game instead. :/

+ ioshi_US on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

Oh god, a psp game again
reg EU get Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus and Unit 13
reg Asia get Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus and Rayman
why you do this for Vita Owner, this is very worst update
and plss don’t give us psp game again, i buy ps vita vita to play vita game :(

+ Ryumoau on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:07 am said:

wow…i just noticed that wasn’t even a discount on the game but dlc for Thomas Was Alone. Sony you fail big time.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:50 am said:

That’s one way to look at it, but we did offer a launch week discount when Thomas Was Alone first launched, but appreciate the feedback of wanting the discount again when its respective DLC launches. Sometimes we can make that happen, other times we can’t, but I’ll give that feedback to the teams. Thanks Ryumoau!

+ TwinDad on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:09 am said:

Metal Slug is an excellent choice to keep a variety of genres to the PS+ program.

I just finished 999, and thank you for Zero escape. It’s great so far the 1 hour I’ve played it.

+ Darth_Lambo on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:10 am said:

This is an awful week and a shameless month for me :(, 1 good game and all the others were at least 1-3 years old, hope more vita love next month and well at least there where no more fighting games. All that apart, so far this year you got very good games for all kind of players, hope this continue til december

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:13 am said:

@36

North America got Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for Vita months ago. Rayman was good enough that it should be a purchase, and it’s been on sale for dirt cheap. There’s a demo for Unit 13, and honestly I don’t think it would even be worth it if it was free.

+ Elvick_ on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:15 am said:

Better discounts please. Preferably don’t do DLC discounts without also doing some kind of discount for the game as well, for anyone who doesn’t have the game.

+ Techly on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:17 am said:

I still CANNOT download Pinball Arcade for either Vita or PS3!?!?!?!?! This is ridiculous, it’s been out for how long now and it’s STILL NOT FIXED! Is this ever going to be fixed?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

Customer Service is handling this issue that has affected some PLus members. Clcik on the Support Chat option on the Customer Service page to get this taken care of.

Thanks for your patience! You can also try calling if the Chat option doesn’t become available for ya at the time.

+ Shinra_Soldier7 on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

Will we possibly see Need or Speed Most Wanted next month for us as well like EU is getting. Would be cool finally getting a racing game.

Also could we possibly see more full games or classics each month than the normal major one we get? EU is getting 3 full games next month so I have to ask. The 2-4 psn/indie games were nice at first but getting so many each month is getting kind of irritating. Maybe switch it up a little more?

+ rafael_martines on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

What about bring The King of Fighters 98 UM, The king of Fighters 2002 UM, Metal Slug 3, NeoGeo Battle Coliseum to PSN?

+ PainOfSarrow on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:38 am said:

wow what a short list.

+ DeleyCuritiba on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:39 am said:

Another week of very weak psn plus!! Morgan, when the psn plus USA will be as good as Europe?

+ carlpain on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:42 am said:

Mmmmm…well…I don’t know what to say about this. I got Thomas Was Alone for a buck on steam yesterday, soooo…

I was expecting more sales or discounts.

+ TJF588 on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:44 am said:

On the one hand, Benjamin’s Flight discount. On the other, I have $1.49 in my wallet. *groan* Please, PLEASE, consider allowing us to directly pay for content rather than paying from a funded wallet. Steam has a wallet feature, with that same damned $5.00 funding minimum, but I can just as well pay from a card or account, and only what I immediately need will be drawn.

Regardless, jumping on that (even if there is a disconnect of story justification for gameplay mechanics…like water), and I’ll squeezed Metal Slug on my PSP. Thanks, again, for keeping PSP games in the rotation. Underserved library, and not all of us have made the leap to Vita (yet?).

Obligatory requests: Mirror’s Edge for PS3, Dead Head Fred for PSP.

+ Ghostwize on July 22nd, 2013 at 9:47 am said:

@48 You can pay exact amounts for content on the store. Not sure what you are talking about. I just did it a few weeks ago. If you have nothing in your wallet or not enough it will prompt you to add funds. It always adds the exact amount needed for purchase if you have a debit/credit card on file.

PAGE 1 2 3 6