Farpoint

Jul 24

Jul 24

PS Mobile Update: Square Enix Brings Chaos Rings to PSM

Paul Sullivan's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PlayStation Mobile

Every Tuesday, there are new games, apps and updates added to PlayStation Mobile. Square Enix’s Chaos Rings and Chillingo’s Roll in the Hole released, along with Attack of the Mutants and fishFishFISH. There is also an update to Duelist Calculator and a price change to Tileogo.

New Releases

PlayStation Mobile Update 7-24-2013 PlayStation Mobile Update 7-24-2013

Chaos Rings by Square Enix Co., Ltd. ($7.99)

Using a classic game system that any RPG fan will enjoy, Chaos Rings presents an epic tale consisting of four different scenarios, all brought to you with gorgeous sound and unbelievably smooth 3D graphics.

The story revolves around a tournament where combatants fight for their lives: the Ark Arena. Upon choosing a pair of characters, one male and one female, you will then have to fight against the other pairs. Each pair has their own story, and the truth behind the Ark Arena will not be revealed until each story is completed.

PlayStation Mobile Update 7-24-2013

Roll in the Hole by Chillingo (EA Inc.) ($1.49)

Meet PoPo, the chubby panda who just can’t get enough ice cream. Imagine his surprise when he wakes after a summer snooze to find the cheeky gorilla Uggi has stolen his icy treats! Roll the rotund little bear around each level and chase Uggi to the hole. You’ll have to choose the best route if you want to collect all your missing ice creams though.

PlayStation Mobile Update 7-24-2013

Attack of the Mutants by Tim Collins ($0.49)

Stop the evil pizza mutants from destroying the universe. A classic arcade style shooter: survive, destroy the big boss mutant, and rack up those points!

PlayStation Mobile Update 7-24-2013

fishFishFISH by chiya ($0.99)

Help the cat-eared lady collect as many yummy fish as possible. There are 60 stages at your disposal in this adventure.

Updates

• Duelist Calculator by Akio Ogata ($0.49)

Price Changes

• Tileogo by Billsmugs (Old Price $1.99 , New Price $1.29)

PS Vita owners can download these games from the PlayStation Mobile section of PlayStation Store; Owners of PlayStation-certified devices such as the Sony Xperia Z smartphone, Wikipad or Sony Xperia Z tablet, can obtain them through the PlayStation Mobile Store for the same price.

Click here for a full list of the certified devices or here for installation instructions.

Add Your Own

KazeEternal said:

July 24th, 7:26 am

Is this all of Chaos Rings?

Because if I remember correctly Square chopped it up into little pieces and required the game to be purchased in chunks which didn’t go over well with reviewers.

Mike10Dude said:

July 24th, 7:34 am

nice to see that Chaos Rings is cheaper then the android version of the game

Zionine said:

July 24th, 7:46 am

@1; That’s not the right game.. that’s either FInal Fantasy Dimensions or Theatrhythm, you’re talking about.
Chaos Rings has three parts, but they’re all sequel-like.

I’m enjoying the game.. it’s choppy.. but it’s like the iPhone version for sure in that aspect. :) I’m enjoying controlling it with physical buttons.

Is there an option to change voices to English? It’s not a big deal but I enjoyed the English VO’s of the original.

Also, the buttons are a bit wonky. The Circle button acts as the Select button and X as the back button.. like FF7-style/Nintendo-style. That said, it’s not a bother.. but it seems like a bug cause the tutorial says it the other way around.

If you could get back to me, that’d be awesome, Paul! Keep up the great work!

Onvertic said:

July 24th, 7:54 am

@1: You’re probably confusing it with the other Square RPG Drakerider, which later was re-released with all the chapters.

@3: The ios and android version only has Japanese voiceovers, so I doubt they would add an English voice version.

And yeah it has the circle/cross button mixed up and a character appears to be saying the same line as his partner in the beginning of the game.

Zionine said:

July 24th, 8:09 am

@4: I apologize. Hah. I haven’t played the first one since it first came out and I played Omega and 2 just recently. Thus the confusion since those two had English VO’s.

Here’s hoping it does well enough for them to port over Omega and 2. 2 was amazing.

The controls don’t bother me.. It’ll be fun to relive this game.

Elvick_ said:

July 24th, 8:19 am

Would rather have ChaosRings natively on Vita, but I’ll take whatever crums SE throws on Vita. Bought.

Genexi2 said:

July 24th, 8:30 am

@3

If it’s anything like Chaos Rings on iOS/Android (on the devices I’ve played it, iPhone 3GS, Nexus7), it never really goes above what feels like 20fps, regardless of what’s onscreen. Might have been a deliberate design decision for battery life of devices at the time or something.

Onvertic said:

July 24th, 8:36 am

@5: No problem! :) And its great that the other two have English VO, who knows, maybe they’ll add some for Chaos Ring one day. Hopefully this one does well and they bring their whole catalog.

I hope this is the start of more developers looking to bring their games to psm. It needs to be available in more areas and get more devices certified.

Christian399 said:

July 24th, 8:47 am

Thank you for Chaos Rings! Bought it a 3rd time iOS>Droid>Vita: plays AS IT SHOULD with physical controls. Paul, my man, can you get to nagging Square Enix for the others now? Perhaps FF IV and Drakerider too? All great games that PSM – Vita owners – should have. Please don’t let this be a dribble of disappointment, open the flood gates to more great mobile games!

Cheers!

Paul Sullivan's Avatar

Paul Sullivan said:

July 24th, 9:36 am

Noted. And it seems like everyone else had their questions addressed by other community members. Thanks for helping out guys!

Glad you enjoy this update. As an RPG fan, myself, this release is exciting for me, too.

Christian399 said:

July 24th, 8:48 am

And yeah, regarding the frame-rate for Chaos Rings, its like that on ALL platforms, even on my newer tablet. They just made the game feel choppy. Or it wasn’t and has never been fully optimized. Don’t fuss too much though, it plays like a dream with physical controls, which is what matters most here.

Christian399 said:

July 24th, 8:49 am

@ Mike Sssh! Don’t let SE hear you or we’re in for a stealth price-hike. I think someone was drunk when they listed the price.

Genexi2 said:

July 24th, 9:15 am

On the PSM note, really would love it if it had its own section under the SEN Store, so I can view and purchase content from it via my web browser.

Can’t remember the last time I even touched PS3/Vita’s store client since the website launched. It’s just that much faster to work in.

Christian399 said:

July 24th, 9:21 am

@12 That’s also the only way to download Vita software without rebooting your machine, since that infinite “preparing download” glitch that has yet to be fixed.

Mando44646 said:

July 24th, 10:40 am

trophies? You promised trophies and leaderboards for PS Mobile…

Mando44646 said:

July 24th, 10:41 am

@Christian399, You can already get FFIV. Its on the PSP store – the mobile versions are just ports of that one

JeffsonP_US said:

July 24th, 11:07 am

I want to see Final Fantasy Tactics on PSM. With the improved graphics and gameplay from the iOS version. ^^

djsaiyan said:

July 24th, 11:15 am

@16 Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. It’s in the PSP section.

JeffsonP_US said:

July 24th, 11:24 am

@17 I know, I have it and the PSone Classic version on my PS Vita.
But recently they released a patch to the iPhone version with HD graphics, better sound. And the iOS version doesn’t have the lag while using skills and you don’t need to play Ad-hoc to get the TWotL exclusive items. ^^

vanwinkle said:

July 24th, 11:33 am

PLEASE, PLEASE improve PSM. It’s not good. There’s no other way around it. Chaos Rings has “unbelievably smooth 3D graphics”? Are you kidding me? The game runs at probably 15 frames per second. No games run well on the platform. The Vita deserves better than this. I was so incredibly hyped for PSM before it launched, and it PAINS me to see what it really is: a look back into the worst of 2009-era mobile games. Vita is just about the most powerful mobile device out there, and with PSM it has games that look like they’re on a 4-year-old smartphone, and run even worse.

DecadanceFantasy said:

July 24th, 11:44 am

I am thinking of purchasing Chaos Rings. Looks like a good game to play.

XenonSovereign said:

July 24th, 12:33 pm

So glad for Chaos Rings. I remember playing it on iOS in 2010. Omega and II were good also (although Omega was absolutely perfect and still the best.)

I hope we see more soon and hopefully a Chaos Rings III made its way to PS Vita

plaztiksyke said:

July 24th, 12:37 pm

As a player, I hope Japan Studio keeps bringing ports of PlayStation classics like they did with Tokyo Jungle. I’d love to see Piyotama, Echochrome, and Locoroco on PSM so I can play them in Vita-native resolution with higher quality audio.

As a PSM developer, I hope we get a PSM plug-in for Xamarin Studio soon. Being able to use ReSharper inside of Visual Studio for our iOS code is a giant leap forward in our productivity. Between that and a 3.0 mono runtime with better performance on Vita, we’d be *extremely* pleased.

Christian399 said:

July 24th, 12:57 pm

@Mando. Pretty sure that’s FF III. I have it on my Vita right now. FF IV was an updone DS port released recently on iOS and Droid. That’s the game I’m talking about. We need those and Chaos Rings 2 + O, Drakerider, Shadowgun, and maybe even Aralorn on PSM. Each of those games with physical controls would be worth the purchase price again (for me). Heck, if they could get Order and Chaos on PSM that would be a MAJOR coup with Phantasy Star Online 2 on hiatus in the West.

gdljjrodMEX said:

July 24th, 1:27 pm

and PSM for PStore México ????????

Kanon_of_Gemini said:

July 24th, 3:07 pm

THANKS THANKS! for Persona 2 Innocent Sin discount! now I have them all :DDDD

@gdljjrodMEX Dude this is PS USA, you should check PSN LATAM….

adidasking421 said:

July 24th, 4:05 pm

When I open the Playstation Mobile App, I keep getting: “An error has occurred. (8008103E)…???

SalMoriarty said:

July 24th, 4:37 pm

I’m just gonna go ahead and beg and plead for the Masters of the Universe game from Chillingo. This game is begging to be played with tactile controls.

fathead170 said:

July 25th, 2:10 am

these games look like crap old smartphone games gonna have to try harder then that to get me to pickup a vita or a ps phone

MoshuaDeath said:

July 25th, 4:34 am

Whaaat?! I freaking loved Chaos Rings on my iDevice, if Chaos Rings had implemented trophies I’d be all over a new Sony phone in a freaking heartbeat. I swear I mean that.

Binarynova said:

July 25th, 6:33 am

“Chaos Rings” … “unbelievably smooth 3D graphics”

Nope. Frame rate is anything BUT.

saintaqua said:

July 25th, 10:15 am

Please get trophy support for PSMobile soon. I want games like this especially to have it!
I’d really prefer these games as part of the main Vita library with the regular support those titles have.

DarkOne_PR said:

July 25th, 10:47 am

how about square enix bring FF type 0 fro the freaking vita? u know bc the vita can use a good full AAA game that its not a indy game… C,MON Sony bring up the big guns already dammit!

FeistFan said:

July 25th, 12:38 pm

Add more devices to PSM – because I’d love to look closer at these, but the devices I own or am considering purchasing aren’t supported. No Samsung devices at all (Galaxy S4 specs look like a significant upgrade from the XPeria Z, which is a shame because I was looking close at the Z). No Asus devices at all – and they’re rocking Android tablets with the Transformer line.

The games look promising, but aren’t accessible when the device list is so tiny.

Tchanku said:

July 25th, 2:30 pm

Chaos Rings Purchased!

DiscoJer said:

July 25th, 3:32 pm

@33 Just buy games from the Play store. I don’t think there are any exclusives that are worth playing, to be honest, and most of the games that are also on Play store are both cheaper and run better, because they don’t run on a virtual machine like PS mobile does, and can take full advantage of the hardware.

PS Mobile games are only allowed to use something like 96 megabytes of ram, and the 3d graphics have been benchmarked to be about PSP level, which is probably the main reason the graphics in Chaos Rings are so sluggish. It’s playable, but just barely.

Rune_Valkyrie said:

August 20th, 8:38 pm

Awesome game for the cost. Highly recommended for every Vita users, Its worth the purchase. Now.. give us our PSP Final Fantasy I&II Anniversary Edition on NA PSN.