No Man's Sky

Arkham Origins Multiplayer Takes Crimefighting Online

Justin Massongill's Avatar + Posted by Justin Massongill on Jul 31, 2013 // SCEA Social Media Specialist

The Batman: Arkham series has proven that superhero games have the potential to be some of the best in the biz, but they’ve been strictly single-player outings so far. In Batman: Arkham Origins, WB Games and Splash Damage are building an online multiplayer experience to complement the main campaign. And guess what — it’s really good.

Called Invisible Predator Online, this new mode takes the concept of the earlier games’ Challenge Rooms and puts other players into the role of the Joker and Bane’s thugs. Yes, this raises lots of questions. The general premise is as follows:

Eight players take to the streets of Gotham in the game’s multiplayer mode: three Joker thugs, three Bane thugs, and two heroes in the form of Batman and Robin. The thugs compete to wipe out the other team and capture control points in what plays out like a third-person, cover-based shooter. Meanwhile, the two heroes prowl the playfield in an attempt to intimidate enemies and provoke the gang leaders into calling the whole operation off.

Batman: Arkham Origins on PS3

When playing as Batman or Robin, variety matters. Repeating the same takedowns over and over will result in lower and lower intimidation yields, so you’ll need to get creative. Hide in ducts and score a takedown when someone passes over you, then grapple to a gargoyle overhead to get the drop on another unsuspecting thug. Set some explosive gel and wait for the right moment to detonate, while hiding in the shadows for a surprise chokeout. The more you mix it up, the better your chances. Whatever you do, though, be careful — getting taken out will bolster your foes’ confidence, undoing a good chunk of the progress you’ve made so far.

Initially, playing as Batman or Robin seems like a privilege players will be fighting over, but I actually had more fun getting down and dirty as one of the henchmen on the field. This mode would be a fully competent third-person shooter without the heroes’ presence, but their inclusion adds a wildcard element that turns Invisible Predator Online into a completely different kind of experience.

Tensions run high when you know the Batman could be around any corner, and the game plays to that stress. More than once, I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye and immediately fired in its direction, before realizing (too late, of course) that it was a flock of bats and my true target was lying in wait above me.

Batman: Arkham Origins on PS3

This trepidation follows you throughout the course of each match, so the last thing you want to do is assault your opponents head-on. You’ll be constantly watching the shadows, grates, and gargoyles above, while working to eliminate the opposing gang’s forces and capture the map’s control points.

In a fun twist, once the match has progressed a bit, the leader of your gang will radio in and demand entry into the arena. The first person on either team to reach the door they’re waiting at will assume actual control of either the Joker or Bane depending on their allegiance that round. The gang leader is, as one would assume, vastly more powerful than the standard henchmen, and can often turn the tide in a seemingly one-sided battle.

There’s an engrossing customization element to the game, as well. You can outfit all three factions with unlockable gear and outfits that you’ll earn throughout your time playing Invisible Predator Online. These range from practical upgrades like new weapons and additional loadout slots, to more fun options like the ever-popular Animated Series Batman costume.

Batman: Arkham Origins on PS3

Oh, one quick aside: Robin, while reportedly not a part of the single-player campaign, has a slick new character model in Invisible Predator Online. He’s not the gruff Robin from Arkham City, though that outfit is unlockable, but a younger, leaner Tim Drake (confirmed!) who looks more in line with the Robin you likely know from the comics or the animated series.

It’s still pretty early, but there’s already plenty to love about Arkham Origins’ multiplayer. This isn’t a loosely-constructed mode for the sake of printing another bullet point on the back of the box but a well thought out, fully realized multiplayer experience set in the Arkham universe. Splash Damage has a monolithic pedigree to live up to, but based on what we’ve seen so far, it seems they are up to the task.

Got any questions about Invisible Predator Online? Shoot ‘em my way in the comments and I’ll answer what I can.

PAGE 1 2

+ yazter on July 31st, 2013 at 6:14 am said:

Ewwwwwwwwww.

What’s with the tacked on MP in single player games?

I am not being a troll here, I am a genuine Batman game fan. Why waste resources on a financial black hole for something essentially forgotten? Often, patches are released continuously to maintain MP. 80% of patches for MP games go the MP itself while SP gets ignored. And guess what gets ignored eventually and prove a wasted investment? Yup, the online portion.

I mean, do you remember Tomb Raider MP, Mass Effect 3 MP, BioShock 2 MP? Yeah, me neither.

It’s your game and you do whatever you think will be successful, but what I loved about Batman Arkham City and Arkham Asylum, both platinumed, is the huge SP portion and the fact that Batman games was setting, not following, trends.

Good luck though! :)

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 10:37 am said:

I’m as skeptical as the next guy when a traditionally single-player franchise gets a multiplayer mode, but after getting my hands on it I’m a believer. Plus, it was developed by a separate group, so it didn’t impact the development of the single-player game. Trust me, it’s a blast to play.

+ I-Dusk-I on July 31st, 2013 at 6:18 am said:

@1 The multiplayer is being developed by a second studio separately from the single player. It’s development shouldn’t influence the quality of the single player. The real concern is that it’s being developed by Splash Damage, the people behind Brink.

+ darkling692 on July 31st, 2013 at 6:19 am said:

Never been fan of multiplayer. But this looks interesting!

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

It’s a riot! Really changes the way you play when the thugs on the field are human-controlled, rather than AI enemies that follow set paths.

+ yazter on July 31st, 2013 at 6:23 am said:

@2 I am aware It doesn’t deter from the fact that MP will require FINANCIAL resources. Tomb Raider had a stellar campaign but then SE came out and whined about profit not meeting expectations (here’s a clue: don’t waste expenses on a tacked on MP and your profit will increase).

+ Mando44646 on July 31st, 2013 at 6:26 am said:

I really hope this didnt suck money and dev time from the actual game. Im not interested in tacked on multiplayer in games like this.

+ Figboy on July 31st, 2013 at 6:29 am said:

As much as I’m not a fan of shoehorning in multi-player into primarily single player games, this at least looks fresh and interesting, and fits the Batman world in terms of its gameplay mechanics. At the least, I’ll give it a shot and see if I like it.

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 10:39 am said:

My thoughts exactly. They didn’t just toss in a half-hearted multiplayer mode for the sake of having one; they created a new kind of experience around what makes the Arkham games so compelling.

+ ossiecastro5 on July 31st, 2013 at 6:37 am said:

So, you can be Batman and Robin. But you can’t be Joker and Bane? I might pass on this one, sorry guys. : /

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 10:40 am said:

Actually, a ways into the match one player can assume control or Joker or Bane! It’s a fun way to turn the tides (and break a few backs).

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on July 31st, 2013 at 7:21 am said:

Batman Online..FINALLY!! Sucks how you can only be Batman and Robin when there are plenty of heros to play as…and plenty of villans as well..it could easily be a 2 vs 2 or 4 vs 4 game with capture the crook or prevent the crook from destroying a building or something cool and diffrernt but whatever..there still some more time to reveal more surprises..(fingers are crossed) . im definitly looking forward to this game ..sucks it wont be available for the PS4..smh SONY ..has HORRIBLE MARKETING SKILLS – from making 10 diffrent phones,tvs and latops in ONE YEAR to releasing the PS4 WITHOUT BACKWARDS CAPABILITIES..#EPICNEWGENFAIL

+ Butters360 on July 31st, 2013 at 7:23 am said:

Looking forward to playing as Batman and The Joker. I like this MP setup. I’ll give it a whirl.

+ GStylez1980 on July 31st, 2013 at 7:33 am said:

@7 It appears that somebody didn’t read the whole article.

Although I’m not generally a fan of multiplayer, especially seemingly tacked-on multiplayer, the premise of this multiplayer sounds quite intriguing. Sounds like a novel direction in which to take it. Reminds me of what the Assassin’s Creed franchise has done with multiplayer. I played it for a bit and thought it was fun, mostly because it was so different. I just hope it’s polished and fully-realized. Good luck, Splash Damage!

+ Valde_zerocool on July 31st, 2013 at 7:45 am said:

This looks very interesting, any word if the Vita version will have similar or any multiplayer?

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 10:44 am said:

Haven’t heard anything about a multiplayer mode in Arkham Origins Blackgate. Based on how that game is constructed though, I’m just pumped to play the single-player mode!

+ toology01 on July 31st, 2013 at 7:48 am said:

Looks unique and interesting. Dont let some of these fools deter you from trying new things. Its popular right now to hate “tacked on” hate of multiplayer but that doesnt mean a company should never try new things and at least this looks fun and unique. I’ll give it a go. The unlockables sound fun too. Kudos

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 10:46 am said:

Good outlook! This mode is anything but “tacked on,” it’s super fresh and a blast to play.

+ fester420 on July 31st, 2013 at 8:02 am said:

This upsets me because of what happened with gow ascension. The single player story was too short and all of the dlc is useless multiplayer dlc. I fear this game will suffer the same fate.

+ HomicidalKaos on July 31st, 2013 at 8:04 am said:

These are the same type of comments people gave to The Last of Us MP, and it’s turning out to be an amazing experience. I hope that this MP can find it’s niche too. Huge fan of both Arkhams.

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

Yeah! I’ve spent the last few days rocking TLOU multiplayer. It’s tough! Very rewarding, though.

+ Ryumoau on July 31st, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

sigh….another unnecassary multiplayer mode added to an already established single player franchise. They say it doesn’t take away from single player but i’m not so sure.

+ talon724 on July 31st, 2013 at 8:54 am said:

hmmm we shall see Get your Portable ID!

+ chavez1138 on July 31st, 2013 at 8:54 am said:

I love AA and AC but I’m going to pass with AO… this multiplayer seems really bad and the original developers and cast are missing.

Hopefully I’m wrong, this is a good game and i’ll have to get it later

+ m7419 on July 31st, 2013 at 9:33 am said:

MP is the quickest and easiest way for devs to keep making money off a game well after it’s released.

+ passivefamiliar on July 31st, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

so cant play as bane or joker in this? being thugs is going to suck for alot of us. at least make it an all star match. 3 villians teamed up vs 3 other villians and bats and robin…thugs..dull.

and, as a whole i dont like this one bit. im not even remotely curious. its like adding multiplayer to bioshock…err, wait. its like adding multiplayer to…hmm. i know.

this is like adding single player to call of duty!!!!

single player games are single player games. dont try to mix them with online multiplayer, the demons/dark souls games are the only games that can pull it off.

still getting this for certain, but NOT even taking another look at multiplayer sneak peaks and doubt i’ll bother when the games out either. just not interested.

+ lisatsunami on July 31st, 2013 at 9:50 am said:

I don’t play multiplayer, but that name you chose, “online predator”? Way too creepy.

+ PlayEvoinsec21 on July 31st, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

s it me or this is Gotham City Impostors in third person? With the addition of the heroes faction, of course…

+ againes on July 31st, 2013 at 10:32 am said:

And yet I bet these are gamers that stay too glued to the TV and not give life a chance. Boo freaking hoo you stay-in-the-closet crybabies make me sick giving out false statements to game companies that’s trying their best to give their fans something new every step of the way, especially when you people even never tried the game yet. When ever did the series ever had a multiplayer? And for you people’s info, there are plenty of first-siingle-player games out here that didn’t have a multiplayer to the table on its first game in the series.

This MP sounds new, unique and fun in my expectations. Keep doing what you do WB and Splash Damage.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on July 31st, 2013 at 10:35 am said:

eww not only is there mmultiplawyer but its a batman game and its MP is basically a shooter? no thanks.. now if it were hand to hand combat/fighting like the singe player THEN i might care

+ PainOfSarrow on July 31st, 2013 at 10:43 am said:

Just Like God Of War… they focused sooo much on multy player it was not kool. i luv god of war one of my fav series now look. batman online multy. another game series i luved. i hopeeee this dont mean there is going to be less extra content for single player. i enjoy all the challenge rooms and such. all i can say is, UPPP URSSS multy player. smfhhh

+ PainOfSarrow on July 31st, 2013 at 10:47 am said:

againes , give it up. just as there is PLENTYYY of multy player games that stand on there own. a single player game should be filled with single player content.

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 11:08 am said:

And it is! This mode was developed by a separate group, so the single-player dudes were able to focus on that. This is a fresh, new MP experience and I couldn’t get enough of it when we got to check it out.

+ KwietStorm on July 31st, 2013 at 10:53 am said:

Why.

+ Welmosca on July 31st, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Unbelievable..I had to see the trailer to believe…1st GoW now Batman…what the **** is going on?….I curse the devs who do this and even more…MP overall……terrible way to spoil a game that definitely dont need a crap MP…..was already in the fence about buying arkham origins because its not Rocksteady and the wounds in the game are already visible…now I probably wont buy.Look what happened with Ascension…probably the worst GoW game.

This is so sad…big fan and playa of GoW and Batman here…but this is really sad.

+ kmwh6 on July 31st, 2013 at 11:01 am said:

Why does it say that its Tim Drake when Eric Holmes, the games creative director, thats its Dick Grayson? https://twitter.com/ericholmeslive/status/362611156180926464

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 1:58 pm said:

Oh no! I asked the guys I was working with on the PR side and they told me Tim Drake. I’ll get to the bottom of this!

+ Fizzlewig on July 31st, 2013 at 11:49 am said:

I hate games that feel the need to add multiplayer (MP) modes. If you want a MP Batman, make it a separate game. I know someone mentioned its being made by a separate studio and won’t impact the single player mode, but that isn’t true. I’m sure the entire game has a set budget, so any money spend developing and sustaining MP is money removed from developing the solo experience.

It also annoying because it usually means that even though I’d buy the game for the solo experience alone, I’d be stuck completing a whole bunch of MP challenges just to be able to get a platinum trophy off the game. Wish games would keep their SP and MP mode trophies separate, so you could achieve 100% with platinum on the solo part of the game, without the need to touch the MP game.

That all said, the MP trailer does look good. Just wish it was its own stand alone game, and not draining the budget of the solo portion of the game.

+ hecTiur_ReTRo on July 31st, 2013 at 12:22 pm said:

SO THIS MEANS THERE’S NO GONNA BE THE TRADITIONAL CHALLENGES?

PLEASE, I NEED AN ANSWER!

+ Justin Massongill on July 31st, 2013 at 2:04 pm said:

No word on that front, sorry!

+ DMcgee627 on July 31st, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

I got an invite to some beta for this, but it’s telling me my WBID is either already used or not invited, despite getting the invite in my email.

+ ZAANOS on July 31st, 2013 at 1:12 pm said:

I’ve been wanting this since the first Arkham game, me and my friend fantasized about it being in the second Arkham game. Nice job having Splash Damage develop it, they made one of my top 10 favorite multiplayer games (Return to Castle Wolfenstein:ET).

More than anything I want to see a Co-Op Batman game. It’d be great if you could have SD develop some long term dlc for AO, I’d like to see some co-op campaigns. But that’s asking for a lot, also it might already be in development. Here’s hoping it is!

I hope there’s a mode that allow players to run around as thugs in the open world pulling heists and having turf wars, having batman and robin intervene, this is my greatest game fantasy.

+ PainOfSarrow on July 31st, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

Justin Massongill , hmmm i guess only time will tell. im still looking forward to this game.

+ SuperBlur18 on July 31st, 2013 at 2:16 pm said:

Multiplayer? All right! Arkham Origins looks like it could be Game of the Year!

+ DrPepper237 on July 31st, 2013 at 2:22 pm said:

Will there be more opportunities to join the beta?? I was too late :(

+ Nerfsniper on July 31st, 2013 at 2:44 pm said:

Like the next guy, I have a thing against tacked on multiplayer modes, but I also feel the way to go is to have a separate team develop it like this. It worked out well for Mass Effect 3. Not that the game didn’t have single player issues, but those would have been there, multiplayer or not. Fortunately, with another team separately working on that mode, we got an addictive and creative (for many) multiplayer experience.

If multiplayer in games is practically a must now, that’s the way I’d at least like to see it done.

+ D4Debacle on July 31st, 2013 at 3:56 pm said:

I don’t get why people are complaining about the game adding on MP. If you don’t like the MP, don’t play the MP. Personally, I think it sounds cool and original. I’ve loved the Arkham games for their amazing SP experiences, and it’s still going to be the main reason I get this game. However, if playing this new online mode is fun, I’ll play it too. If not, I’ll still enjoy the amazing SP gameplay.

+ Gevo_Bball24 on July 31st, 2013 at 5:43 pm said:

MP looks very promising, I cant wait to get my hands on this game. Also, any news if their will be a collectors edition?

+ Justin Massongill on August 1st, 2013 at 12:47 am said:

Haven’t heard of one, but who knows. Still got a ways to go before launch.

+ PainOfSarrow on July 31st, 2013 at 6:23 pm said:

D4Debacle , thats not the point. the point is will it effect the single player portion. yes we clearly have the decision it avoid the multyplayer part. yes the option is there for ppl who do want it. as long as it DONT effect the single play. i really dont know how it is when another team works on part of the game seperately but il just have to see. still cant wait for this game regardless.

+ wumbocumbo3 on July 31st, 2013 at 6:30 pm said:

@ nYcFrEeWiLL82
Dude, did you read the actual post at all? You will be able to play as Joker/ Bane, not just Batman and Robin. Also, backwards compatibility for 3 generations of games is not ‘horrible marketing’, its a genuinely hard job.

+ TiMeSpLiT–TeR on July 31st, 2013 at 6:32 pm said:

Who cares if they added MP. Single player doesn’t get affected.

+ mrk1976 on July 31st, 2013 at 6:34 pm said:

I know Origins for PS3 will get the lion’s share of pre-release coverage, but as a huge Vita fan, I hope we see more coverage of Origins: Blackgate. Maybe some more previews, or interviews with Armature Studios.

+ Justin Massongill on August 1st, 2013 at 12:44 am said:

I’m itching to get my hands on that one too! Sounds right up my alley.

+ stealthcombat on July 31st, 2013 at 6:48 pm said:

what a bunch of complaining babies its ganna take away from the story wahhhhhh! are u kidding me? its a new experience to the game n sounds fun and most of all new

+ hrfuknstuf on July 31st, 2013 at 7:11 pm said:

Read the entire article, watched the entire trailer, and I gotta say, the MP looks good! I don’t even like MP in general, but the inclusion of Batman & Robin into the mix (adding the stealth option to the traditional run-&-gun) would be enough for me to give this one a try. I’m hoping that the SP mode lives up to the precedent set by AA & AC, also, but I won’t fault the inclusion of what looks to be a fairly original take on the MP genre if it doesn’t. Judging by the footage I’ve seen and interviews with the SP developers (who show the previous two games the utmost reverence), I doubt that any facet of this game will be disappointing. Here’s to hype! :D

+ NeoRaidenX on July 31st, 2013 at 7:35 pm said:

@stealthcombat

If anyone is the baby, it’s you. You’re naïve if you think it doesn’t take away from the SP. The publisher will only allocate a set amount of money for the game. You’re crazy if you think they’ll fork over more. We speak from experience. Bioshock 2, Assasin’s Creed, Dead Space. These series SP campaign was almost identical to their respective previous release once multiplayer was added.

+ PainOfSarrow on July 31st, 2013 at 9:29 pm said:

stealthcombat please do research or have some kind of Knoledge before you call anyone a babie again…

+ ArkTaetz on July 31st, 2013 at 10:05 pm said:

Ewww… this robin sucks

+ metalgatesolid on July 31st, 2013 at 11:01 pm said:

Do we know if there is a co-op mode where you and a mate can team up in either challenges or actual missions as batman and robin??? This multiplayer seems really fun.

+ AlanSnake15 on July 31st, 2013 at 11:53 pm said:

So this is an exclusive of PS3?

+ Tasteemobile on August 1st, 2013 at 2:07 am said:

Sounds a lot like the sneaking mission mode from Metal Gear Online. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

PAGE 1 2